All things relating to Danica -- New season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish she hadnt started doing all the half naked crap, there are plenty of other women out there to do that stuff. Young women need a good role model these days, they need to know they can be successful with their clothes on IMO

Good feminism to me is a woman liking her body and being a girl. Using all of your qualities is a good thing imo, a reflection of confidence.
She has no need to apoligize for posing for the SI swimsuits or any other like cases.
She didnt loose or any virtue or driving abilities in the process.

Good feminism to me is a woman liking her body and being a girl. Using all of your qualities is a good thing imo, a reflection of confidence.
She has no need to apoligize for posing for the SI swimsuits or any other like cases.
She didnt loose or any virtue or driving abilities in the process.

This is true, but I can't help but think of my 13 yr old daughter looking up to her, trying to have the body she does. There are enough eating disorders out there. Know your audience. Its eye catching for sure--I look too--but I worry.

OOP'S, logano almost lost it also. It's slick out there on the top.

This is true, but I can't help but think of my 13 yr old daughter looking up to her, trying to have the body she does. There are enough eating disorders out there. Know your audience. Its eye catching for sure--I look too--but I worry.

I guess one could take that position, but I would prefer the message of her body image over Rosie O'Mcdonald's or Oprah Winfreys.

Who most likely has better blood pressure, less risk of type 2 diabetes, better cardio health etc. We do have an obesity problem in America, and I see her as more of a postive counterpoint than a negative one.

As for the sexuality or exploitation issues, Danica seems to control that more than anyone else. She shows what she chooses too, and I have to believe she has enjoyed herself. I am at a loss for how she could ever be seen as a victim or suffered any ill consequences. She is the master of her domain, and that is power.

All of the above is postive stuff, be healthy, do a lot of cardio, put your best foot forward, and use your charms, you earned them. She also seems responsible she isnt abusing her body with loose morals etc...
I would think she is indeed a good role model, while letting girls know they.can enjoy their femininity while doing all of the good stuff.

She hasnt purchased breast enlargements either, a lot better role model than most of the Hollywood plastic imo. And she is personable and fan friendly, not snobby an example of hard work, sticking with the grind like a good trooper.

Last of all like all celebrities she only gets to give brief snapshots to our children.
As always we have to fill in the blanks and provide the explanations and govern their activities as they mature. "Yeah she posed for SI in her 20s but not her teens, so you aint wearing that....".

And I am windbag telling you stuff you probaly already know:).

I guess one could take that position, but I would prefer the message of her body image over Rosie O'Mcdonald's or Oprah Winfreys.

Who most likely has better blood pressure, less risk of type 2 diabetes, better cardio health etc. We do have an obesity problem in America, and I see her as more of a postive counterpoint than a negative one.

As for the sexuality or exploitation issues, Danica seems to control that more than anyone else. She shows what she chooses too, and I have to believe she has enjoyed herself. I am at a loss for how she could ever be seen as a victim or suffered any ill consequences. She is the master of her domain, and that is power.

All of the above is postive stuff, be healthy, do a lot of cardio, put your best foot forward, and use your charms, you earned them. She also seems responsible she isnt abusing her body with loose morals etc...
I would think she is indeed a good role model, while letting girls know they.can enjoy their femininity while doing all of the good stuff.

She hasnt purchased breast enlargements either, a lot better role model than most of the Hollywood plastic imo. And she is personable and fan friendly, not snobby an example of hard work, sticking with the grind like a good trooper.

Last of all like all celebrities she only gets to give brief snapshots to our children.
As always we have to fill in the blanks and provide the explanations and govern their activities as they mature. "Yeah she posed for SI in her 20s but not her teens, so you aint wearing that....".

And I am windbag telling you stuff you probaly already know:).

Great post. I agree with it all, actually but I'm a dad...any a worry wart.
Thanks for the well thought out response.

Joe Namath posed with nothing on but pantyhose for commercials and he posed nude in Playgirl magazine and nobody gave a crap, they thought it was funny. And there have been many others since but they are men so It's okay.
If an athlete acted like Namath did today all hell would break loose. Very different era where casual sexism was socially accepted.

This is where Danica fans start acting as bad as the anti-Danica hate machine. She got her ride purely because of good old fashion TnA. I kid you not in my area, even before she raced in NASCAR she was more well known then Jimmie Johnson. That's entirely because she was the hot GoDaddy girl during the superbowl commercials. It's no different then someone getting a top ride due to family connections sure, but let's not try and act like the backlash for her posing half naked is some sort of sexist issue. It cheapens the sport anytime someone gets a top ride for reasons outside of talent, especially when those reasons are so... cheap.

Great post. I agree with it all, actually but I'm a dad...any a worry wart.
Thanks for the well thought out response.

Well it easy for me to windbag. Easier to feel like an expert because I dont have a daughter.

If an athlete acted like Namath did today all hell would break loose. Very different era where casual sexism was socially accepted.

This is where Danica fans start acting as bad as the anti-Danica hate machine. She got her ride purely because of good old fashion TnA. I kid you not in my area, even before she raced in NASCAR she was more well known the Jimmie Johnson. That's entirely because she was the hot GoDaddy girl during the superbowl commercials. It's no different then someone getting a top ride due to family connections sure, but let's not try and act like the backlash for her posing half naked is some sort of sexist issue. It cheapens the sport anytime someone gets a top ride for reasons outside of talent, especially when those reasons are so... cheap.

Did you read her bio? Its filled with racing experience. Kyle Petty likley got his ride on his name as well........yet no one says boo about him. He had a ride that I bet a ton of guys would have killed for. He did not do much. It cheapens the sport when guys get rides on their names and not on racing ability.

Her modeling is a side to her racing. Thats her passion.
Shes a trail blazer for women in racing. She is not putting her femininity under wraps much to the chagrin of many people (including sometimes me and I count myself as a fan)

In summary, people get their rides any way they can. It is then their job to keep them.

Last edited:

This is where Danica fans start acting as bad as the anti-Danica hate machine. She got her ride purely because of good old fashion TnA. I kid you not in my area, even before she raced in NASCAR she was more well known then Jimmie Johnson. That's entirely because she was the hot GoDaddy girl during the superbowl commercials. It's no different then someone getting a top ride due to family connections sure, but let's not try and act like the backlash for her posing half naked is some sort of sexist issue. It cheapens the sport anytime someone gets a top ride for reasons outside of talent, especially when those reasons are so... cheap.

1. I think it is better than getting a ride due to family connections or a birthright. She was much more of a longshot in a business that demands mega millions.

We could go on forever about cost, but racing has gone beyond baseball leaving the common man, mill hill textile leagues. If a driver doesnt have name presence by the time their 21 they are almost guaranteed not to make it to Cup today.

Who without inside connections is going to be self made enough to cut their own trail at such a young age, a trailer park kid wanting to run cup might as well be from Ethiopia. Call it cheapening of racing if you like, I call her promotions brilliance. If she could have drove like Dale Sr without some looks she probably would have remained unknown. She did what she had to do, and I think she should be applauded for beating one in a million or less odds.

2. In most cases even males need a GQ look. When Jimmie Johnson signed with Gordon/Hendrix it had to be as much about an image as the driving. His most memorable highlight reel was the Watkins Glen crash at the time.

Disclaimer: I dont think she is in Johnsons zip code, I am only addressing the path to getting a cup ride, and hers is no less righteous imo.
I also dont think she is one of the top 30 driver talents. But she has earned the right to be in Cup, her presence has bought in sponsors, and like it not that is today's criteria. It has been for a long time, even in F1, Pastor Maldando is sitting a Lotus simply because they need his $.

3. I wish it was a driving talent only, to get you there world. But it isnt, Danica has made it based on realistic parameters, she shouldn't have to satify a purity that almost no one else racing today has satisfied.

Joe Namath posed with nothing on but pantyhose for commercials and he posed nude in Playgirl magazine and nobody gave a crap, they thought it was funny. And there have been many others since but they are men so It's okay.

The difference between that and Danica is Namath did all that after he lead his team to the championship. He didn't get the opportunity to play in the NFL because of things like that, whereas Danica would have never been noticed without it since her driving stats weren't/aren't really much to speak of.

Yep! always a double standard....just like when a guy "dates" lots of women he is a stud, but when a woman does it she is slut.

I read it, and it gave an example that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

You said my post showed a double standard and I'm asking how?
I don't think he was talking about your post...i think he was talking about in general. Does anyone know which came first her indy career or her pictures? I know i was following her as an indy car driver way before i seen her swimsuit photos.

Yep! always a double standard....just like when a guy "dates" lots of women he is a stud, but when a woman does it she is slut.
If a key opens up many locks, it's a good key. If a lock gets opened by many keys, it's a bad lock.

The difference between that and Danica is Namath did all that after he lead his team to the championship. He didn't get the opportunity to play in the NFL because of things like that, whereas Danica would have never been noticed without it since her driving stats weren't/aren't really much to speak of.

I can agree with some of your points. But it is hard to measure credentials between the two.
The NFL has a combine and several auditioning platforms, including the NCAA.
You really need to run the 40 fast, prove you can hit etc. If you are better you will almost always get the starting job. If you are a 15 year vet that was the MVP two years ago, it doesnt mean a thing to the coach and GM if the new kid is playing better. He is the new starter and you are now 2nd string.

Drivers are different animals. Again I wish it wasnt true, but the money they bring or who they know is at least half the battle. If the money isnt there you aint racing next week, consider Johnny Benson the truck champ a few years ago, he didnt get to defend the title.
I would like to be as pure as many others here would like to be. In the past I complaied enough about the money overriding talent in racing to get tired of hearing myself (you probably remember the old RN forum days).

But based on todays model Danica is simply working it just like any other kid needing $ to race. She also didnt choose to be a girl, she just wanted to race and is utilizing the tools at her disposal. I would think most individuals unrelated to Cup insiders have to do the same.

I know there are some exceptions, Brad K drove his heart out in a one off deal and caught Jrs eye, but that sadly is very rare today. Even in his case he at least had a mental bank of lessons learned around his dads racing, who's to say if he could have done it without his coaching.

I use the unconnected trailer park kid analogy to conjure up the idea of kid that is poor without connections. Not even a Dad or uncle that at least had real experience for guidance and direction. Even a Brad K had a huge advantage on the trailer park kid, and somewhere there are some great ones that never had a rats chance.

Racing is great, it inspired me as a kid, but it is far from fair and never will be, cruel is a more accurate descriptor. So while I agree that criticism of Danicas driving is fair game, I would say her marketing and even her legitimacy to race is unquestionable. She deserves it as well the big money that is attached.

Sorry to ramble, I went beyond your points with the response.

Last edited:
You're right. JJ doesn't even have his own thread. :D

Watching JJ race makes me sleepy, nuthin to talk about there. He is yet to master the other 2 top series, probably never will. Only one driver in history ever mastered all three in the same weekend, we all know who that is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom