At the age of 24 has Chase Elliott gained a couple steps?

Well it's not Gustafson's fault Chase has missed so many races. I'm philosophical about it. I agree, they need to win to get in, and if it happens, fine, if it doesn't, fine. I will lose no sleep over it. Frankly, unless they start running a LOT better, it really doesn't matter. They haven't EARNED the right to compete for a title, and winning a race or even two doesn't change that, but this is the idiotic way we choose to crown a champion, so be it. Nothing would make me happier than for him to somehow sneak into the playoffs winless, and then hang on by a thread, and then do a walkoff in the last two races just to stick it up the tailpipe of this stupid ass system.

I don't think a waiver should be given for getting hurt snowboarding either.
2/4 of the Chain Gang party screwed themselves yet The Felon is steadfast in not limiting their actives. Because it is The Felon this is seen as benevolent. 60K view....pretty damn stupid.

He might Austin Dillon himself into the playoffs but even beyond that I can’t see him doing much unless there’s a major change in form. They seem pretty inconsistent as far as what they bring to the track and never really have elite speed.

I think there are a good small handful of guys who’ve separated themselves as true title contenders at the moment, have a good haul of playoff points, and Chase is just nowhere close to them right now.

On the positive side, he may be the favorite in the Xfinity race at Pocono this weekend.

Gustafson ain't going anywhere. That's gonna piss some people off, I'm not one of them. Sure you may catch lightning in a bottle and land a Pearn-type talent, but it could very easily go the other way. I also don't believe he's the issue, it's not just 1 thing. HMS has put a LOT of resources into finding CC's to elevate their other 3 drivers, Chase hasn't needed that. He's gotten it done with that bum Alan somehow 😏

2/4 of the Chain Gang party screwed themselves yet The Felon is steadfast in not limiting their actives. Because it is The Felon this is seen as benevolent. 60K view....pretty damn stupid.
It is no worry.
They better let Chase Elliott in with a waiver and everybody better let him win one before the regular season is done if they have good common horse sense and know what is good for him.

Cause if they don't the Felon will just have Chad Lee to ensure that they are in for a rude awakening to teach their azzes.

Chase needs more HP. The guy was so great at road courses and short tracks with that extra pep
I definitely think there's something to this. Yeah they were good last year but the big teams were always going to be ahead with the new car until everyone wrapped their arms around it. Just don't think it jives with what makes him good or with what he finds comfortable in a race car.

Might I remind you that it took JGR YEARS to come to the conclusion that you claim is the ONLY way to do it. I find it hilarious that Hendrick used to get a rash of crap for keeping too tight a leash on his drivers, and now he gets bashed for not having a tight enough leash. I wish you would all make up your mind. Personally I don't give a crap either way. If Chase misses the playoffs, he misses the playoffs. So what? Life goes on.

Chase in the playoffs, fine. Chase not in the playoffs, fine, either way is fine with me.

IMHO, Chase Elliott deserves to miss the playoffs because of the incident at Charlotte.

He was already in a hole and then he goes and does that. I genuinely believe that suspension should've disqualified him from making the playoffs. And, if he does miss the playoffs, that incident will probably be the reason.

I still think he'll make it in though, either barely sneaking in on points or with a win at Richmond or Watkins Glen.

I just don’t think it happens. Too many great drivers doing great things.

Best average finish.

Chase Elliott and team are taking bad days and turning them into top-15 finishes. The only result he's had worse than 13th since his comeback was when he did that fool **** at Charlotte.

Best average finish.

Chase Elliott and team are taking bad days and turning them into top-15 finishes. The only result he's had worse than 13th since his comeback was when he did that fool **** at Charlotte.
Best average finish won't get it done in the playoffs, he will be so far behind on playoff points he will have to win...and he's shown no signs of winning

Tony Stewart was 0-26 in 2011 during the regular season.
Then he got hot during the playoffs winning 5 of 10 races and the championship and he wasn't even on the Felons A-team

Then he got hot during the playoffs winning 5 of 10 races and the championship and he wasn't even on the Felons A-team
So something like that has happened once in the past 12 seasons? That's another reason why Chase is not winning the championship this season.

Might I remind you that it took JGR YEARS to come to the conclusion that you claim is the ONLY way to do it. I find it hilarious that Hendrick used to get a rash of crap for keeping too tight a leash on his drivers, and now he gets bashed for not having a tight enough leash. I wish you would all make up your mind. Personally I don't give a crap either way. If Chase misses the playoffs, he misses the playoffs. So what? Life goes on.
1/2 of your team is in trouble.....because snowboarding and dirt tracking. The day job pays the bills. Kids need to grow the **** up.

Yep anything is possible at this point. They all have 6 more shots until the playoffs. I'm sure the gerbils will be staying busy with the drama, but there is plenty of time to make the playoffs with a lot of racing between here and there.

To me the most surprising bit is he’s led only 38 laps. There’s no reason a guy of his caliber should be up front that little. They just don’t have the same speed that the 5 and 24 exhibit for whatever reason. They don’t qualify particularly well, so when they do sneak up near/into the top 5 it’s because they worked on it all day and kept it clean.

Elliott has raced a little over a third of the cup races this year. A whole 13 races overall. He has 5 top 5's and 7 top 10's out of 13 races. That's supposed to be terrible?

I hear it every race. And you say you're surprised. The gerbils are up in arms. :idunno:
Being a consistent Top 10 team is a far way off from terrible, but it’s also far off from great, which is what they need after digging a hole early in the season. They haven’t shown winning speed once this year, and to outpoint McDowell he needs to earn ~ 10 more points per week down the stretch, and McDowell has four Top 10s in the the last six races himself.

Being a consistent Top 10 team is a far way off from terrible, but it’s also far off from great, which is what they need after digging a hole early in the season. They haven’t shown winning speed once this year, and to outpoint McDowell he needs to earn ~ 10 more points per week down the stretch, and McDowell has four Top 10s in the the last six races himself.
6 more races to go.

1/2 of your team is in trouble.....because snowboarding and dirt tracking. The day job pays the bills. Kids need to grow the **** up.
Did Kyle Busch need to grow up when he broke his leg in an Xfinity race, and was running 90% of the races in three different series? The "experts" claim all this extracurricular racing activity makes them better racers. We are told that Kyle Larson is God's gift to the steering wheel because of all of the other races he runs. So what are you supposed to do? I"ll also remind you that Jimmie Johnson got hurt falling off a golf cart, and Denny Hamlin got hurt playing basketball. Baseball slugger Dave Kingman got hurt and missed games from picking up a suitcase. Do we wrap these guys in bubble wrap and lock them in locker in the transporter until the next race? I also wouldn't worry too much about HMS anyway. The two guys that are an actual threat this year are in fine shape.

Did Kyle Busch need to grow up when he broke his leg in an Xfinity race, and was running 90% of the races in three different series? The "experts" claim all this extracurricular racing activity makes them better racers. We are told that Kyle Larson is God's gift to the steering wheel because of all of the other races he runs. So what are you supposed to do? I"ll also remind you that Jimmie Johnson got hurt falling off a golf cart, and Denny Hamlin got hurt playing basketball. Baseball slugger Dave Kingman got hurt and missed games from picking up a suitcase. Do we wrap these guys in bubble wrap and lock them in locker in the transporter until the next race? I also wouldn't worry too much about HMS anyway. The two guys that are an actual threat this year are in fine shape.
Fair points....but this is a business, and NAPA wants chase in the car not on a snowboard....or they will look for someone they can keep in the car.

+10 million on the Dave Kingman reference. Guy could hit it a mile.

Fair points....but this is a business, and NAPA wants chase in the car not on a snowboard....or they will look for someone they can keep in the car.

+10 million on the Dave Kingman reference. Guy could hit it a mile.
I imagine if NAPA was THAT concerned about it, they would have had it written into their sponsorship contract. Oh, well, maybe NEXT contract. Yes, Kingman could hit it a mile, but when he missed it, which was most of the time, it was also by a mile. During his tenure with the Cubs, my grandfather used to get SO frustrated with him, claiming he only hit homers when it mostly didn't matter. A one run game in the 8th inning, forget it.

Gustafson ain't going anywhere. That's gonna piss some people off, I'm not one of them. Sure you may catch lightning in a bottle and land a Pearn-type talent, but it could very easily go the other way. I also don't believe he's the issue, it's not just 1 thing. HMS has put a LOT of resources into finding CC's to elevate their other 3 drivers, Chase hasn't needed that. He's gotten it done with that bum Alan somehow
Once. And I know you know Chase and Alan better than I do, and I know they need to be professional. But when I do listen to them, they both just sound so burnt out.

I disagree, as you know. Not because of ability, but I think Chase just needs a new personality on top of the pit box.

Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing, but in this case, the 9 team is a perineal championship caliber team, Chase is a championship caliber championship winning driver... And a new CC wouldn't change that.

I wholeheartedly believe that change for the same of change here would be a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chase Elliott isn't quite the driver a peak and hungry Tony Stewart was.

I don't know if there's many drivers in the history of the sport that could pull off what Tony did.

It was an anomaly, and there's a reason the driver who did that won his 3rd championship, and not just his 1st or 2nd.

Once. And I know you know Chase and Alan better than I do, and I know they need to be professional. But when I do listen to them, they both just sound so burnt out.

I disagree, as you know. Not because of ability, but I think Chase just needs a new personality on top of the pit box.

Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing, but in this case, the 9 team is a perineal championship caliber team, Chase is a championship caliber championship winning driver... And a new CC wouldn't change that.

I wholeheartedly believe that change for the same of change here would be a good thing.

You say once like Rodney and Harvick haven't only gotten it done once in their 10 years together. How many don't even have 1? Look beyond championships. They've made the round of 4 three years in a row and have made other deep runs. Plenty of wins together. They've not underperformed by any means and Chase is still 27 not yet in his prime years.

If you had listened to their radio back in 2016 you'd hear the same thing you're hearing now. Two even keeled easy going guys, they are a lot a like in the way they talk and carry themselves. It's not burn out, it's just the way they do their jobs.

Burn out was the end years of Chad and Jimmie.

Some would say this description of the #9 team is accurate. I taint one of them.
Yeah, I don't think Chase has one of these either. It might be his favorite, but?
1689960497810.png

Chase Elliott isn't quite the driver a peak and hungry Tony Stewart was.

I don't know if there's many drivers in the history of the sport that could pull off what Tony did.

It was an anomaly, and there's a reason the driver who did that won his 3rd championship, and not just his 1st or 2nd.

I am sure that I am in the minorty opinion but I think that was more about the 14 team finding something extra for the 2011 playoffs. I dont think Tony Stewart suddenly transformed from a B plus driver during the regular season into an A plus driver for the 2011 chase. Thats a good movie script but I think it is ridiculous in realistic terms.

Ryan Newman actually had better regular season results driving for SHR and I dont think a competitor like Stewart was just letting that happen, nor would he have went 0-26 if he could have prevented it.

I especially dont think he just willed himself to getting that much better once the playoffs started. Tony Stewart is one of the greats but I dont think he was that much better than every one of his competitors.

I am absolutely convinced that his engineers and Grubb figured out something and saved it for the playoffs. With a mindset not to let the cat out of the bag to eariy and it worked brilliantly.

To be blunt from a fan who isnt on the Chase Elliot bandwagon: I really don't think Tony Stewart had something as a Nascar driver that Chase Elliot doesn't have himself.

Back
Top Bottom