Bonehead of the week: Bristol II

That is not NASCAR Nation, Rev --- I beg to differ.
That is one person, with probably too much alcohol courage, acting like an ass.
I consider myself a member of NASCAR Nation and that is not representative of my behavior at the track. Please don't
paint all fans with the same tarbrush.

I hear you TLR, but we are all part of the same group--the good (you), the bad, and the ugly. I was talking to my wife this morning. Had I seen that video before my first trip to a NASCAR race, I would have cancelled, and I probably wouldn't be here which might be a blessing to some. Find me a video of the "good" fans. That doesn't make the news. I've had a ton of people already this week inquire about that deal....a ton of people that never talk to me about the race, but know about that. Embarrassing as hell. I could show you some DM's....you have seen posts.....what that idiot did in touching Kyle isn't somewhere else or someone else. The enemy is us. All of us. There are no more boundaries....and now we have some going off about Kyle not taking the higher road? How much should he take? Punch in the face? How much? ....and then the loser screaming "**** you Kyle!" in the background. Really? NASCAR Nation is not immune from perception. I have about had it with this ****. I have never booed a driver, flipped him (or her) off, or flipped **** to fans of drivers I don't cheer for, and nobody around here is going to challenge my passion. It isn't hard.....and don't ever use alcohol as an excuse. If it's not okay for Brian France, it isn't okay for fans.

I'll tell you this, more people are mad at the jackass filming it and the jackass who confronted Kyle. I dont care who you pull for, those two are lowlife scumbags. Bristol doesnt have to worry about people being mad at them.

I agree. Screw them both....and if I was a driver, you can forget about an autograph. We, as fans, are not entitled to access, and if I was a driver, it would be gone. That son of a bitch is sneaking a weapon in from doing something really big. I have had enough of this ****. You do not touch a driver. You don't even pat him on the back. Ever. Damn it. I have never been embarrassed to be a NASCAR fan. I am now. Truly embarrassed.

I hear you, Rev. It's the bad apples that get the coverage. I well remember the horrible things said about Waltrip way back when he first came on the scene and started beating up on the old guys quite regularly. They didn't call him "Jaws" for nothing. LOL Thing is, he could back up his talk. Then DE came along and he got the bad press. Then, it was Jeff Gordon's turn to get called every name in the book along with his fans. It was terrible.

The big difference now, it's all caught on cell phones. Back in the day, we didn't hear about incidents until it came out in print.
While this incident does put NASCAR fans in a bad light, I'm still proud to be a fan. Don't let it get you down.

The drunken fans are slowly making driver access less and less .. soon it will be thru bulletproof glass only.

It should happen right ****** now. How many weapons does it take to have something really bad happen? This is a wake up call. I am okay with KB being behind glass. If something happened to Samantha's or Brexton's Dad after this because we were worried about access, I would never attend another race. I have had it with this ****. People can **** talk KB all they want. I don't care. Neither does he. Don't ****** touch him. Don't...and if you do, he has the right in my opinion to settle the score. I am just disappointed that KB didn't render that a**hole unconscious. I am really, really ****** triggered on this. It isn't cute.

I agree. Screw them both....and if I was a driver, you can forget about an autograph. We, as fans, are not entitled to access, and if I was a driver, it would be gone. That son of a bitch is sneaking a weapon in from doing something really big. I have had enough of this sh!t. You do not touch a driver. You don't even pat him on the back. Ever. Damn it. I have never been embarrassed to be a NASCAR fan. I am now. Truly embarrassed.
Rev dont let it get to you, that guy is an a anomaly. The overall majority of NASCAR fans are awesome people and would give you the shirt off their back. I cant tell you how many tailgates, campsites Ive walked by where I was offered food, booze, whatever. They all just wanted to talk about racing and were enjoying the experience. We'll all be ok.

I have never been embarrassed to be a NASCAR fan. I am now. Truly embarrassed.
I'm never going to allow someone I'm not responsible for to cause me to feel embarrassed, especially someone who drinks too much.

These morons exist in every group of fans. Go to any stadium parking lot and watch wasted bozos pick fights with people wearing T-shirt for the visiting team.

I'm with Spotter (mark that on your calendar). I think NASCAR may actually have fewer of these twits than other sports. I've had complete strangers invite me to have breakfast cooked for me. I've put up tents for old ladies, and help take them down when the wind blew up. I've seen people pull stuck vehicles out of muddy parking lots -by hand-. I've been handed more free drinks than I could ever possibly count.

Those are the people I'm proud to count myself one of.

Last edited:
Boorish fan behavior was at the same levels when the tracks were selling out. If anything, they've improved since I started attending in '95.

It certainly can. Close the infields. But I don't care about access to drivers or autographs or selfies, so that's easy for me to say. Or any use for alcohol, for that matter.

Here's Jimmy Johnson on what he see's on his early morning runs at NASCAR events from an article in 2014:

“You see people halfway in their tents and still passed out in lawn chairs and all kinds of good things.”

If that's what he was seeing in 2014 what the heck were you seeing in 1995? What he see's isn't what I want to have a conversation about with my kindergartener.

On a side note, where we live that public intoxication. You go to jail for that.

I'm never going to allow someone I'm not responsibility for to cause me to feel embarrassed, especially someone who drinks too much.

These morons exist in every group of fans. Go to any stadium parking lot and watch wasted bozos pick fights with people wearing T-shirt for the visiting team.
Its true

If that's what he was seeing in 2014 what the heck were you seeing in 1995? What he see's isn't what I want to have a conversation about with my kindergartener.
In the mid- to late-90s I saw a lot more fighting in the grandstands, at least once per race. I saw a lot more drunks wandering around looking for their seats, to the point my Dad and I would bet each other how many there would be. I saw more urination in the parking lots; not often but usually a couple of times on the way back to the car afterward.

I saw fewer women, fewer children, fewer blacks, no Hispanics. I don't remember seeing 'family grandstands' with alcohol prohibited.

Most of that began changing during the boom years. I don't miss any of it. I'm not saying things are perfect, or disagreeing with JJ. Indeed, what he sees is part of why I'm reluctant to consider camping at a track and will never voluntarily spend time in the infield. But believe me, it's been worse.

Rev dont let it get to you, that guy is an a anomaly. The overall majority of NASCAR fans are awesome people and would give you the shirt off their back. I cant tell you how many tailgates, campsites Ive walked by where I was offered food, booze, whatever. They all just wanted to talk about racing and were enjoying the experience. We'll all be ok.

I hear you, but I am from the Pacific Northwest. Most think I am insane for supporting this sport anyway. The comment I have received repeatedly is, "So that's what you are doing when you go to a race?" I do understand that within the NASCAR community, this is an anomaly. However to the outside world where "new" fans live, this is perceived as the norm....and this isn't a good norm. A line was crossed, and that line is a fan's perception that the brand that is KB is congruent to the person KB. As such, he is open to attack both verbal and physical. Not sure that I have seen anything like this......I mean, hands on a driver---or any person for that matter. bull****.

I hear you, but I am from the Pacific Northwest. Most think I am insane for supporting this sport anyway. The comment I have received repeatedly is, "So that's what you are doing when you go to a race?" I do understand that within the NASCAR community, this is an anomaly. However to the outside world where "new" fans live, this is perceived as the norm....and this isn't a good norm. A line was crossed, and that line is a fan's perception that the brand that is KB is congruent to the person KB. As such, he is open to attack both verbal and physical. Not sure that I have seen anything like this......I mean, hands on a driver---or any person for that matter. bull****.
I'm sure tailgating for the Seahawks or Oregon State are sober affairs where home fans offer visitors scones and parasols and refer to the visiting players as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'. Ask people about that when they bring up this weekend. I'm pretty sure the InterWeb Thingy is loaded up with their misbehavior too. Oh, and ask about the arrest records in the NFL while you're at it.

In this area, there are some who will violently demonstrate to advance a non-violence agenda. Get your head around that. I am not kidding you. The perception is that that sport is football--not some redneck conservative thing like NASCAR, so it's okay. Believe me when I tell you this. Several years ago, The King, DW, and Helton came to Olympia to pitch NASCAR's support of a track in this area. Representative Frank Chopp was quoted in the local paper as saying, "We don't drunkin' NASCAR fans with rusty pickups in their front yards partying in our State." Do you see a track here? Nope.

I don't see why we automatically say alcohol was involved. People can be morons quite sober. And yes I have been to a race. Not everyone is drunk
You're statistically correct. I'm expressing opinions based solely on circumstantial evidence with no scientifically accurate data.

LOTS and LOTS of circumstantial evidence. :rolleyes:

I'm sure tailgating for the Seahawks or Oregon State are sober affairs where home fans offer visitors scones and parasols and refer to the visiting players as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'. Ask people about that when they bring up this weekend. I'm pretty sure the InterWeb Thingy is loaded up with their misbehavior too. Oh, and ask about the arrest records in the NFL while you're at it.

It's not NASCAR, so it's okay. Seriously. It is not seen the same way.

You're statistically correct. I'm expressing opinions based solely on circumstantial evidence with no scientifically accurate data.

LOTS and LOTS of circumstantial evidence. :rolleyes:

Those photos of fans doing beer bongs in photos is very circumstantial.:rolleyes:

Reactions: sky
In this area, there are some who will violently demonstrate to advance a non-violence agenda. Get your head around that. I am not kidding you. The perception is that that sport is football--not some redneck conservative thing like NASCAR, so it's okay. Believe me when I tell you this. Several years ago, The King, DW, and Helton came to Olympia to pitch NASCAR's support of a track in this area. Representative Frank Chopp was quoted in the local paper as saying, "We don't drunkin' NASCAR fans with rusty pickups in their front yards partying in our State." Do you see a track here? Nope.
Sounds like you live with a bunch of chumps.

I have been going to NASCAR races since 1983, and have experienced race weekends as a spectator, a race team member, and as a VIP, and I've seen a LOT of things, but VERY little of it ever crossed the line in my opinion. I do not condone (or understand) getting fallen down drunk at sporting events, and I don't condone screaming at drivers and making an ass of yourself, but 95% are actually really great nice people, and 99% of them are totally harmless. The vast majority of the drunks are either too drunk to be much of a problem, or were just enjoying their stupor. It actually seems to have gotten a lot better in recent years, at least at the few events I have attended. I haven't seen a pair of uncovered boobs at a race in probably 10 years now, or seen anybody get arrested, of course I'm not in the infield. I know in the Michigan infield during the ARCA years things sometimes got decidedly not G rated after dark, but I never saw anybody get harmed either. I've seen more unruly fans that scared me a little in the handful of NFL events I have attended (less than 20) than any race I have ever been to.

You say this like it's a good thing....

It certainly doesn't bother ME any, but I know it makes some people uncomfortable, so I try to keep them in mind. If there are going to be family sections at the race track, which is fine, maybe there should be an adults only section too. On second thought, maybe not......:D

Reactions: sky
There is no difference between NASCAR fans and any other fan at a live sporting event outside of access to competitors.

If Tom Brady was walking through the parking lot of New Era Field in Buffalo following a win I would bet money someone would screw with him. I am not defending that it is alright, but it is broader than just NASCAR.

Bristol is another example of stupidity that exists at live sporting events.

^ This

Sounds like you live with a bunch of chumps.

Truer words have have never been spoken. Sports fans suck around here. Seahawks are the greatest thing ever when they are winning....watch attendance when they start losing....Same thing with Washington Husky football, etc. Terrible....but it's more than that.....let's just say that the social/political thinking around here is rather interesting.

Truer words have have never been spoken. Sports fans suck around here. Seahawks are the greatest thing ever when they are winning....watch attendance when they start losing....Same thing with Washington Husky football, etc. Terrible....but it's more than that.....let's just say that the social/political thinking around here is rather interesting.
Oh Im quite familiar with Washington State Politics and its political leanings. Must be from all the rain.

Oh Im quite familiar with Washington State Politics and its political leanings. Must be from all the rain.

Love to blame the weed, but it hasn't been legal long enough. Some of us were hoping that it would help. It didn't.

Let's not go any deeper into the politics, etc. of Washington state in open forum. Please.
We have a place specifically for those discussions. It can get rancorous and just talking NASCAR is sometimes bad enough. :D

It should happen right ******* now. How many weapons does it take to have something really bad happen? This is a wake up call. I am okay with KB being behind glass. If something happened to Samantha's or Brexton's Dad after this because we were worried about access, I would never attend another race. I have had it with this sh!t. People can sh!t talk KB all they want. I don't care. Neither does he. Don't ******* touch him. Don't...and if you do, he has the right in my opinion to settle the score. I am just disappointed that KB didn't render that ******* unconscious. I am really, really ******* triggered on this. It isn't cute.

Its not cute at all, fans that drink too much really disturb my experience at the track. A driver like Kyle is going to always have some idiot talking crap to them, sad as it may seem.

Oh for crying out loud, this kind of behavior has existed since Adam took a bite of the apple. The problem is today everhing is sensationalized and everhing gets caught on camera. Back in the day Yarborough, Pearson or even Spencer would have handled the fan with no fan fare and moved on. KDB, didn't back down, good for him. A big issue with NASCAR today is lack of fan access to drivers. If it gets worse so will the number of fans...
On the flip side you have Ryan Blaney sitting in the stands watching a Xfinity race and there are no problems.

Reactions: Pat
Oh for crying out loud, this kind of behavior has existed since Adam took a bite of the apple. The problem is today everhing is sensationalized and everhing gets caught on camera. Back in the day Yarborough, Pearson or even Spencer would have handled the fan with no fan fare and moved on. KDB, didn't back down, good for him. A big issue with NASCAR today is lack of fan access to drivers. If it gets worse so will the number of fans...
On the flip side you have Ryan Blaney sitting in the stands watching a Xfinity race and there are no problems.
Well, maybe since Adam fermented the apple in a coconut shell. :booya:

A driver shouldn't be confronted by a fan and the driver shouldn't continue the exchange or escalate it when it happens. What would have happened if Kyle was struck and injured? His sponsor isn't gonna be happy. JGR would have had to scramble to find a replacement driver, and Kyle's run to the championship would have ended. Walking away is the right course of action. Being a hot head and pretending that it is 1968 is, well, dumb. It isn't. It is 2018 and cameras are everywhere. That's the reality of today's world.

Blaney sits where he wants because he isn't polarizing. Also, he seems to have the social skills that causes those around him to like and enjoy his company unlike some other drivers.

A driver shouldn't be confronted by a fan and the driver shouldn't continue the exchange or escalate it when it happens. What would have happened if Kyle was struck and injured? His sponsor isn't gonna be happy. JGR would have had to scramble to find a replacement driver, and Kyle's run to the championship would have ended. Walking away is the right course of action. Being a hot head and pretending that it is 1968 is, well, dumb. It isn't. It is 2018 and cameras are everywhere. That's the reality of today's world.

Blaney sits where he wants because he isn't polarizing. Also, he seems to have the social skills that causes those around him to like and enjoy his company unlike some other drivers.
I understand your position regarding Kyle. If he was injured to the point where he couldn't race you have a whole different set of issues, regardless if it is 1968 or 2018.

I understand your position regarding Kyle. If he was injured to the point where he couldn't race you have a whole different set of issues, regardless if it is 1968 or 2018.

The position isn't just about Kyle. It is a position about all drivers and their actions. The 1968 point was aimed at the reference to "what driver's would have done back in the day". We ain't back in the day, and aren't going to return to it. Social media and the 24 hour news cycle are what today's drivers have to deal with and be aware of.

The position isn't just about Kyle. It is a position about all drivers and their actions. The 1968 point was aimed at the reference to "what driver's would have done back in the day". We ain't back in the day, and aren't going to return to it. Social media and the 24 hour news cycle are what today's drivers have to deal with and be aware of.
Oh, I understand your position about 2018...at least for a few more months until it is 2019, then we will have to discuss again.

Maybe it's just me, but if someone puts his or her hands on a public figure, especially someone obviously hostile, I fully support the celebrity or security kicking ass and letting TMZ and the lawyers bother with taking the idiot's name.

Maybe it's just me, but if someone puts his or her hands on a public figure, especially someone obviously hostile, I fully support the celebrity or security kicking ass and letting TMZ and the lawyers bother with taking the idiot's name.

Sounds great but the long lasting ramifications probably will not be as good. MMs probably would not want the attention either.

If a regular civilian gets into the argument on the street, no fault of his own he is probably better served not to escalate matters either. He may not be convicted but he may be taken down town and at least have an even greater nuisance to settle. The risk of getting locked up even for a short time could have major points implications even with a civlian job.

There is more than one way to get a butt kicking, and a low life is not the worth the cost of escalating his poor behavior.

A Nascar driver probably has more to risk by retaliating than other athletes. A driver is obligated to satisfy his sponsors, and most corporations do not want the association, and a driver can't survive without them. And unlike many other sports they don't have a union to appeal the ramifications (not wanting to get political, just stating common knowledge).

I'll promise you this, the guy better be glad none of Kyles crew were around to see it. Hell probably anyones crew.

Back
Top Bottom