Bristol Dirt Race

It’s likely that a few of the people working on Bristol Cup cars have been in the pits at a dirt race.

Your continuous unflinching negativity is noted.

Well, I don't know what YOU get out of being a sycophant for EVERY single move NASCAR makes, but nobody has ever given ME a reason to do it, so I call them as I see it. If NASCAR wants me to kiss their ass at every turn, they'll have to pay me for it.

I’m coming around on this. I know I’ll be watching for sure and I sorta wish I was going to be there in person. If successful maybe this opens the door to having races at dirt speedways instead of turning existing ones into dirt. I guess what I’m trying to say is this might open up the door to more venues to race at then what was previously thought, which I would say is a good thing. The variety of a schedule with 1.5 mile, road races, super speedways, streets and dirt would be pretty neat to see.

This thread is deteriorating like the surface of a clay racetrack 3/4 of the way through a 40 car 200 lap NASCAR Cup race.

Fitted with the shortest available pushrods, these fast cars weigh about 700 pounds less than 3 times the weight of the 24 extremely fast sprint cars that run 50 lap mains on the same surface.

Personally, I can’t waiView attachment 52753
Damn, he wouldnt pinch you off would he?

Professionals
Yes, because EVERYBODY that raced in ARCA was a bunch of clueless amateurs, and none of the car owners and crewmen were veteran drivers and crew chiefs with hundreds of Grand National and USAC dirt races under their belt......

I'm looking forward to this race for whatever it brings. I like dirt racing, and I liked the trucks at Eldora. I'm not sure if Bristol for 250 laps is gonna put on the best show ever, but I know that no matter what happens I will watch and I will be entertained.

As far as the money wasted? I'm pretty sure Bruton Smith is a billionaire, so I'm sure not gonna worry about the way he's spending his money. Not my concern and doesn't affect me in the slightest. The modifications to the cars are very mild and will not be some big strain on the teams either. That's a non-issue. Just sit back and enjoy the show. That's the point.
Blocked & Reported to @FBI/HHS/ICE/SSA/CIA/NSA/HBO/CNN/NBC/CBS/AOC/TRL/TBS/NBCSN/WE/Ellen/Lowes/Delta/GreyHound/Uber & YO MOMMA!

Yes, because EVERYBODY that raced in ARCA was a bunch of clueless amateurs, and none of the car owners and crewmen were veteran drivers and crew chiefs with hundreds of Grand National and USAC dirt races under their belt......
Careful, don't break a spindle. I heard somewhere that Nascar used to run endurance races.

If any drivers or crew members don't feel prepared then they can do what Matt Crafton did. Worked well for him when the trucks went to Eldora.
I think I'd bring the oldest chassis in the shop, and run it like a part-timer at Daytona: race to survive and advance by attrition.

I’m coming around on this. I know I’ll be watching for sure and I sorta wish I was going to be there in person. If successful maybe this opens the door to having races at dirt speedways instead of turning existing ones into dirt. I guess what I’m trying to say is this might open up the door to more venues to race at then what was previously thought, which I would say is a good thing. The variety of a schedule with 1.5 mile, road races, super speedways, streets and dirt would be pretty neat to see.
Does Nascar own any dirt tracks big enough to hold a race.?

You mean small enough? Or are you wanting to see Talladega in dirt?
'Big enough' in terms of having the garages, pit stalls, hauler parking, grandstands, parking lots, access roads, etc. to host a Cup race. That's one of the problems with the many of the dirt tracks that have been suggested for a Cup visit, along with the application fee that most can't afford.

'Big enough' in terms of having the garages, pit stalls, hauler parking, grandstands, parking lots, access roads, etc. to host a Cup race. That's one of the problems with the many of the dirt tracks that have been suggested for a Cup visit, along with the application fee that most can't afford.
It think that is one of the many hangups that has kept Nascar racing on their own and the Smith's tracks. Fan pressure, and getting rid of the stockholders to free up decisions on where to race have helped the move to different tracks. Yea

Eldora and Knoxville can easily

Any dirt aficionados have any insight on what this means for track prep/maintenance? Looks like qualifying heats are set for 1 PM with the race at 3:30.

I don’t think heats went over too well when they had them for Dash 4 Cash races a few years back, they weren’t very consequential.

Any dirt aficionados have any insight on what this means for track prep/maintenance? Looks like qualifying heats are set for 1 PM with the race at 3:30.

In general, dirt racing in afternoon sun doesn't work so well, which is part of the reason the vast majority of dirt racing is done at night. Sunlight will dry the top layer of dirt more quickly, leading to more dust and the surface more quickly 'sealing' and taking rubber.

However, this is going to be a much longer event than any normal dirt race with much heavier cars. They're not set up to use the grip provided by a tacky clay surface anyway. I think this track is going to be hard packed and drier from the start.

What the final portion of a race plays like after 200+ laps is anyone's guess. My snappy line on it would be that I think it's going to look less like a dirt race than dirt fans would like, and more like a pavement race than pavement fans fear.

It's a very interesting experiment though.

Last edited:

I don’t think heats went over too well when they had them for Dash 4 Cash races a few years back, they weren’t very consequential.

It will depend on if they break out the water truck or not.

Heat races are fun when are are short lived action-packed stints.

IIRC the Dash 4 Cash “heats” were basically like today’s stage racing and that **** was dry.

First reaction was crap...regarding heat races. But after thinking about it, we get to see a little more racing. I doubt we will see much "hard" racing. Guessing the line ups will be set along the line of owner points with little or no inversion. But sometimes NASCAR surprises us.

First reaction was crap...regarding heat races. But after thinking about it, we get to see a little more racing. I doubt we will see much "hard" racing. Guessing the line ups will be set along the line of owner points with little or no inversion. But sometimes NASCAR surprises us.
I felt the same way, but I guess you have the right attitude. I'll try to look at the heats as compensation for getting only a 250-lap main.

I'm not a big fan of inversions in Cup, but esp. not at a short track where the leaders usually have to pass the back markers multiple times anyway.

I am going by the obvious. They aren't going to go with low clearance and aero. The tire whatever it is is going to be a soft one so there are either going to be a lot of pitting under green or a lot of breaks for tire changes. Who knows they might run heats and features the same as they did with the trucks at Eldora.
yawn :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom