Cha2e Elliott

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna

tumblr_obpgye7wZZ1utuoauo1_500.gif

Chase is gonna be alright.

Great perspective. The kid will be alright. It's just a really painful lesson right now but it may drive him even harder to be more successful in the future. Sometimes, failure is needed to pave the way for great success. Danica would kill for five top 2 finishes.

Yep, just not sweating this. Its all part of the process. You will see trolls, haters and troublemakers.

Of course he will be fine.

Simple progression. Hell be fine and could have a year like Larson next year. The guy is dedicated to winning and really hard on himself. I just want to see him win so he won't be so down after a race. Once he knows he can win he'll gain confidence and watch out.

Last edited:
I think once he gets into the #9 car next year that is gonna take some pressure off of him and i think he's finally gonna win a race in the Cup series. Getting out of the #24 may be the best thing to ever happen to him

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone better when they were 21.

I predict him to be the winningest driver at Hendrick next year....i always have said you have to lose some before you win some.

Can't figure out all the hate for the kid, is it him or the number they hate?

I think that some folks have a difficult time accepting that a kid can get out there with the veterans and get it done .... I may be one of those people at times.

I wanted Chase to win at Dover & I feel for him. He'll get his win. :)

I think once he gets into the #9 car next year that is gonna take some pressure off of him and i think he's finally gonna win a race in the Cup series. Getting out of the #24 may be the best thing to ever happen to him

I wish they were putting him in something other than the 9. Like 91, or 99, or something like that. I am worried that putting him in the 9 puts too much pressure on him to be like his dad.

I think that some folks have a difficult time accepting that a kid can get out there with the veterans and get it done .... I may be one of those people at times.

I for one...do not like the hyperbole of the media and NASCAR. It makes me feel like they are forcing him on us.

Do not get me wrong, think the kid has talent, how much of it is due to pedigree I do not know. His father was one of the best, almost single handedly brought Ford back to relevance in the eighties.

But I do have a chip on my shoulder for all things Hendricks...he was a crook and always will be a crook. From the way he ran his business illegally to the way he acquired the rights to Jeff Gordon...he is a stank. William Durant would be proud of him and his underhanded dealings.

Hell, you should be a KB fan
I hear you and I really respect Kyles talent and his post race antics entertain me.
But I tend to lean toward drivers who share a few of my personality traits and are more
of an "awe shucks" type if that makes sense. Your basic B or C type personality.
I also get hooked to them if I was in attendance for their first win which was the case for Carl and Sten.
Right now my Fav 4 are : Chase,Blaney,Jr.,and Danica. Thinking about moving Stenhouse
into Danicas place (If this is her last season) and Larson into Jr's spot.

But I do have a chip on my shoulder for all things Hendricks...he was a crook and always will be a crook. From the way he ran his business illegally to the way he acquired the rights to Jeff Gordon...he is a stank. William Durant would be proud of him and his underhanded dealings.

Tell the story on how he acquired Jeff Gordon.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone better when they were 21.

Come to think of it neither can I. For some perspective Jimmie was in trophy trucks at age 21. Brad Keselowski was in family owned backmarker trucks, Logano was wrecking JGR cars. Moral of the story is Chase being where he is at age 21 is very impressive.

Tell the story on how he acquired Jeff Gordon.
In 1991, noted Sprint Car driver Jeff Gordon came to the NASCAR Busch Grand National Series to run full time for Bill and Gail Davis. The master plan for Jeff Gordon's career was to stay with Bill Davis and head to Winston Cup in 1993. And then the famous story began: Rick Hendrick discovered this immensely talented driver and gave him a Cup ride for the next year, the rest is history. The story leaves out the tremendous controversy that resulted and the nasty trail of betrayal and denial. At the time, it looked like Gordon had gone behind the backs of the people that helped him climb to the top. He was looked upon very negatively in 1992​
and
So he signed a deal with Hendrick without ever consulting with Davis, Ford, or his sponsors. And to add to that saga, at the same time, Davis was putting the finishing touches on a deal to go to Winston Cup in 1993 with full-time sponsorship with Target. That chain of events exploded in the second week of May 1992 at a meeting with Target executives, one day after Gordon signed his contract with Hendrick.​

AND...now you know the rest of the story...Hendrick is the one who facilitated the behind the back dealings that eventually cost Bill Davis everything. And Hendrick knew it would...

In 1991, noted Sprint Car driver Jeff Gordon came to the NASCAR Busch Grand National Series to run full time for Bill and Gail Davis. The master plan for Jeff Gordon's career was to stay with Bill Davis and head to Winston Cup in 1993. And then the famous story began: Rick Hendrick discovered this immensely talented driver and gave him a Cup ride for the next year, the rest is history. The story leaves out the tremendous controversy that resulted and the nasty trail of betrayal and denial. At the time, it looked like Gordon had gone behind the backs of the people that helped him climb to the top. He was looked upon very negatively in 1992​
and
So he signed a deal with Hendrick without ever consulting with Davis, Ford, or his sponsors. And to add to that saga, at the same time, Davis was putting the finishing touches on a deal to go to Winston Cup in 1993 with full-time sponsorship with Target. That chain of events exploded in the second week of May 1992 at a meeting with Target executives, one day after Gordon signed his contract with Hendrick.​

AND...now you know the rest of the story...Hendrick is the one who facilitated the behind the back dealings that eventually cost Bill Davis everything. And Hendrick knew it would...

Isn't their more to this story?

I for one...do not like the hyperbole of the media and NASCAR. It makes me feel like they are forcing him on us.

Do not get me wrong, think the kid has talent, how much of it is due to pedigree I do not know. His father was one of the best, almost single handedly brought Ford back to relevance in the eighties.

I agree ... the kid does have some real talent, but yeah ..... they are pushing him way too hard on the public

I agree ... the kid does have some real talent, but yeah ..... they are pushing him way too hard on the public

To be fair, the media pushes a lot of things about NASCAR that most find aggravating. Such as their bogus "playoff" gimmick that nobody gives a flying fig about.

Yep, conveniently left out a hundred other details. It was sooo shady of Mr. H to sign a talented young racer that wasn't even under contract. :sarcasm: But hey, why let the truth get in the way of some Gordon hater's BS narrative......

Pretty sure he was bashing Rick Hendrick.

Yep, conveniently left out a hundred other details. It was sooo shady of Mr. H to sign a talented young racer that wasn't even under contract. :sarcasm: But hey, why let the truth get in the way of some Gordon hater's BS narrative......
And the hundred other details? I love history.... and am well aware of many of the details that were going around at the time.... I was a big supporter of Bill and Gail Davis..... and thought they got a screw job..... but..... I'd be interested in hearing about the other 90 I wasn't aware of.....

What was the guys name in the 80’s, Harry Can’t or was it Gant, he had 10 second place finishes before his first win.

And the hundred other details? I love history.... and am well aware of many of the details that were going around at the time.... I was a big supporter of Bill and Gail Davis..... and thought they got a screw job..... but..... I'd be interested in hearing about the other 90 I wasn't aware of.....

I like Bill Davis too, and I don't blame him for feeling surprised/upset/betrayed to lose Gordon. OldTimer was correct about the plans to move him to Cup. But the only outrage came from all the Ford fans who (at the time) said Gordon was making a huge mistake choosing Hendrick Motorsports over Bill Davis Racing.

Here's the fact of the matter: Gordon had no contract. That's Bill Davis' fault, not Rick Hendrick. Here's a few other details from the same exact blog entry OldTimer quoted...

Once Hendrick and Gordon began working on a deal, word spread quick in the NASCAR garage. Ford acted rapidly to keep Gordon in the family, but with no long-term contract, Gordon was free to go anywhere. Jack Roush made an effort to bring Gordon to Cup for him. The main aspect that caused a possible deal to fall apart was the question of who would be his crew chief. Evernham and Gordon got along so well, they wanted to move together into Winston Cup. In a phone conversation with Roush, Gordon's step father John Bickford insisted that if Jeff drove for him, Ray would come too. Roush replied with, "My drivers don't hire my crew chiefs. I hire my crew chiefs." Bickford heard enough and promptly hung up on Jack Roush. Bill Davis still didn't understand what really was going on behind his back. He assumed that he and Gordon were a nice pair and Jeff would be loyal to the horse he rode in on.

Here's the rest of that opinion piece (from a fan's perspective), which clearly tries to paint Gordon/Hendrick in a negative light, for whatever it's worth.....

http://racing-reference.info/showblog?id=2367

Here's an article (from a legitimate author) that explains the Gordon/Hendrick connection through Andy Graves.....

https://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-m...storied-career-could-have-been-different.html

There's a lot more info out there, some various opinions and even more speculation. If some of you think Gordon/Hendrick screwed Davis, hey, that's your opinion.

How I see it.....Hendrick signed Gordon fair and square. He had much more to offer, and Gordon was free to make his choice (which ended up being the right choice, obviously). Bill Davis should have had Gordon under contract, and that's the bottom line. I don't think it's fair to blame Gordon for going to Hendrick. And you certainly can't blame Hendrick for that. At the end of the day, it really didn't cost Bill Davis anything, despite the doom and gloom OldTimer would like you to believe. Davis still went to Cup as planned, with a successful operation and a future champion driver (Bobby Labonte).

...So anyways, just finished this race. Growing pains. I'd bet Little E(gasp) learned something the other day.

I realize I'm somewhat biased on this topic, but I don't really get that impression at all. At least compared to the way Danica and Dale Jr. were pushed on us. Considering that Chase is an accomplished young driver AND the son of a NASCAR legend, I think it's been pretty subdued. When's the last time you saw him in a commercial? How many times during the last two years has he gotten a top ten ten finish and they never even got around to interviewing him during the actual race broadcast? (Plenty, because I pay attention to such things).

I like Bill Davis too, and I don't blame him for feeling surprised/upset/betrayed to lose Gordon. OldTimer was correct about the plans to move him to Cup. But the only outrage came from all the Ford fans who (at the time) said Gordon was making a huge mistake choosing Hendrick Motorsports over Bill Davis Racing.

Here's the fact of the matter: Gordon had no contract. That's Bill Davis' fault, not Rick Hendrick. Here's a few other details from the same exact blog entry OldTimer quoted...

Once Hendrick and Gordon began working on a deal, word spread quick in the NASCAR garage. Ford acted rapidly to keep Gordon in the family, but with no long-term contract, Gordon was free to go anywhere. Jack Roush made an effort to bring Gordon to Cup for him. The main aspect that caused a possible deal to fall apart was the question of who would be his crew chief. Evernham and Gordon got along so well, they wanted to move together into Winston Cup. In a phone conversation with Roush, Gordon's step father John Bickford insisted that if Jeff drove for him, Ray would come too. Roush replied with, "My drivers don't hire my crew chiefs. I hire my crew chiefs." Bickford heard enough and promptly hung up on Jack Roush. Bill Davis still didn't understand what really was going on behind his back. He assumed that he and Gordon were a nice pair and Jeff would be loyal to the horse he rode in on.

Here's the rest of that opinion piece (from a fan's perspective), which clearly tries to paint Gordon/Hendrick in a negative light, for whatever it's worth.....

http://racing-reference.info/showblog?id=2367

Here's an article (from a legitimate author) that explains the Gordon/Hendrick connection through Andy Graves.....

https://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-m...storied-career-could-have-been-different.html

There's a lot more info out there, some various opinions and even more speculation. If some of you think Gordon/Hendrick screwed Davis, hey, that's your opinion.

How I see it.....Hendrick signed Gordon fair and square. He had much more to offer, and Gordon was free to make his choice (which ended up being the right choice, obviously). Bill Davis should have had Gordon under contract, and that's the bottom line. I don't think it's fair to blame Gordon for going to Hendrick. And you certainly can't blame Hendrick for that. At the end of the day, it really didn't cost Bill Davis anything, despite the doom and gloom OldTimer would like you to believe. Davis still went to Cup as planned, with a successful operation and a future champion driver (Bobby Labonte).

As a guy that puts a lot of stock in loyalty, I will admit I was less than thrilled about that whole deal went down, but there is no question Jeff made the right choice. Davis and Ford were offering a lot of maybes and will be's, Hendrick was offering a more solid commitment and a say in his support team. You don't have to know much about Jack Roush to know it's quite likely he screwed this deal up for Ford too. Roush has done a LOT of things in racing, but the ONLY guys that have ever really driven for him are guys that came up through his ranks from little or nothing. I think the most highly touted prospect (that he didn't develop in house) Roush has EVER signed was Johnny Benson. (who I was a big fan of by the way). Roush couldn't even keep Kyle Busch in the fold. Davis ended up with a good sponsor AND Bobby Labonte, and they had ONE top five in two years, before Labonte had to bolt for better prospects. Davis had a nice little team, and that's what it was. Nice and LITTLE, and it likely was going to stay that way, Gordon or no Gordon. HMS was certainly a diamond in the rough at that point in time, but Hendrick had the money and the commitment to take it to the next level. Many of the key people were already in place there, it just took guys like Jeff, Ray Evernham and Terry Labonte to make it all click.

As a guy that puts a lot of stock in loyalty, I will admit I was less than thrilled about that whole deal went down, but there is no question Jeff made the right choice. Davis and Ford were offering a lot of maybes and will be's, Hendrick was offering a more solid commitment and a say in his support team. You don't have to know much about Jack Roush to know it's quite likely he screwed this deal up for Ford too. Roush has done a LOT of things in racing, but the ONLY guys that have ever really driven for him are guys that came up through his ranks from little or nothing. I think the most highly touted prospect (that he didn't develop in house) Roush has EVER signed was Johnny Benson. (who I was a big fan of by the way). Roush couldn't even keep Kyle Busch in the fold. Davis ended up with a good sponsor AND Bobby Labonte, and they had ONE top five in two years, before Labonte had to bolt for better prospects. Davis had a nice little team, and that's what it was. Nice and LITTLE, and it likely was going to stay that way, Gordon or no Gordon. HMS was certainly a diamond in the rough at that point in time, but Hendrick had the money and the commitment to take it to the next level. Many of the key people were already in place there, it just took guys like Jeff, Ray Evernham and Terry Labonte to make it all click.

Most would agree that Jeff probably should have let Davis know he was looking around, but keep in mind he was 19 years old at the time and probably didn't know the best way to handle it. Usually when people are considering other opportunities of employment, they don't tell their current employer until they come to terms with the new one.

IIRC, Bill Davis bought a portion of Junior Johnson's team, so he definitely didn't start a Cup operation from scratch. He had a great rookie driver of his own, a crew chief that nearly won the title a year earlier with Bill Elliott, cars that were very competitive the year prior (Elliott and Marlin), and inherited a primary sponsor among other things. They ran OK in '93, but a lot changed in '94 (new manufacturer, new crew chief, etc) and the team struggled. Labonte bolted for Gibbs to replace Jarrett (who had bolted for Yates). Yeah, drivers often jump for better opportunities, imagine that :D

Davis went through a few drivers in '95 until they landed Ward Burton, who won Davis his first Cup race later that year. Davis ran a successful Cup team for many years until he started cheating on Dodge with Toyota. But maybe that's Rick Hendrick's fault too :p

Back
Top Bottom