Chicago - 2023

Wait so they're going to build that Paddock, the surrounding stages and suites in less than 2 weeks (based on road closures)? Or have they already started construction? Seems pretty ambitious if they haven't already started.

Nice job of covering your ass, Rodney....Somebody from NASCAR must have reminded him that critical opinions are not welcome.
Drivers and crew chiefs have spoken out on things they dont like since its inception.

Rodney is losing his cash cow. Whatever or whoever, it would be smart business to leave the attitude at the house.

So I've gotten about 3 missed calls/voicemails and 5 emails about NASCAR in Chicago from what is definitely a real NASCAR person. Anyone else getting this kind of stuff? It's happened soooo many times and I'm on zero Chicago-related mailing lists I' starting to wonder if I've somehow won something or if they're just desperate to sell tickets???

So I've gotten about 3 missed calls/voicemails and 5 emails about NASCAR in Chicago from what is definitely a real NASCAR person. Anyone else getting this kind of stuff? It's happened soooo many times and I'm on zero Chicago-related mailing lists I' starting to wonder if I've somehow won something or if they're just desperate to sell tickets???
they called me too! Since I got home from Wilkesboro I had two calls from a number I didnt know. The second time the same number called, I picked up and it was a rep asking me if I was interested in tickets for the weekend. I told the fella they'll have my interest when Cup goes back to Chicagoland. I assume they got my number from me filling it out at NWB in having interest to buy tickets for that next year and I was always on the Chicagoland Speedway list for tickets.

Could it be that they're having a hard time moving tickets for the street race ?

I've had a ticket rep contacting me on a regular basis ever since I had to reallocate the money I put toward the cancelled 2020 Chicagoland race.

After I put the funds to last year's Michigan race he been calling, texting, and emailing in an attempt to sell me on this year's race at Michigan.

Still undecided if I want to contact him regarding general admission street race tickets . . . . :idunno:

It's interesting as we're all discussing ISC tracks. I have never been to an ISC track but did look into Phoenix tickets one year for a trip. I'm assuming that's how ISC/NASCAR has my number.

I've been to a ton of SMI tracks. They have never been hounds like this. A call or two each off season 5 years ago but nothing in recent years. Maybe they just assume they can pencil me in for a race or 2 a year now guaranteed lol.

This race will be great....but maybe not for old time NASCAR fans. Street racing is a different deal....but I love it.

This race will be great....but maybe not for old time NASCAR fans. Street racing is a different deal....but I love it.
Well, keep clicking your heels together and wishing for it to come true. This race is just like the championship race staying in Phoenix and the Next Gen race car. A decision made strictly for money reasons, not product reasons.

Isn't it a bit late to be holding a hearing on this? Unless the primary goal is to get your name in the media and look like you're doing something..,
I would venture to say your theory here is absolutely correct, a “hey I tried to stop this…oh and vote for me!” type deal

I would venture to say your theory here is absolutely correct, a “hey I tried to stop this…oh and vote for me!” type deal
“Mind you, had I actually stopped it, at this point it would have cost us a big fat check.”

Anyone know how the setup and tear down times compare to other street courses?

Well, keep clicking your heels together and wishing for it to come true. This race is just like the championship race staying in Phoenix and the Next Gen race car. A decision made strictly for money reasons, not product reasons.
No ****. Having said that, the opinions of the few tend to dominate the NASCAR narrative. I don't see any polls or anything about the Indy 500. Know why? Because it is what it is, and Indycar fans appreciate it for what it is. This year's 500 was a snoozer with a controversial ending.....don't hear any of those fans talking about changing the car, throwing dirt on the track, or shutting the place down. FWIW....I was at last year's championship, and while I wasn't happy with the winner, the race was just great in my opinion. I will be there again this year, and renewing for next year. I must be missing something.....I am glad that I am.

Isn't it a bit late to be holding a hearing on this? Unless the primary goal is to get your name in the media and look like you're doing something..,
Politicians tend to do that.

No ****. Having said that, the opinions of the few tend to dominate the NASCAR narrative. I don't see any polls or anything about the Indy 500. Know why? Because it is what it is, and Indycar fans appreciate it for what it is. This year's 500 was a snoozer with a controversial ending.....don't hear any of those fans talking about changing the car, throwing dirt on the track, or shutting the place down. FWIW....I was at last year's championship, and while I wasn't happy with the winner, the race was just great in my opinion. I will be there again this year, and renewing for next year. I must be missing something.....I am glad that I am.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought this year's Indy 500 was pretty darn good, the most exciting one since the first year Alonso ran, and I think ALL of the championship races at Phoenix have been varying degrees of awful. Even the one Chase won was a snoozer from my point of view, and last year's was putrid in my opinion, and Logano winning didn't change my opinion one way or another. I will stick to what I have said before. I have been watching street course races since the 1980's, and not ONCE have I have EVER said, "I wish we had more of these", or "that was great", or I can't wait to to go to one of those". And as bad as F1, Indycar, IMSA, Grand AM, Trans Am and on and on have been on street courses, NASCAR Cup cars are 99% guaranteed to be worse.

The Indy 500 this year was super entertaining in my view. I'm thinking people dont complain about the Indy 500 because it has cachet of delivering every single damn time the race is run. It is also a piece of Americana. Absolutely nothing needs to change about that day or that race, its perfect. All complaints can be directed to the snake pit where you cant hear anything as the performers perform their schtick.

Wild ass NASCAR bids that worked: LA Coliseum, Bristol Dirt. Can Chicago continue the streak?

I think they worked, but I see both of them as short lived. These are not long term projects
Agreed. It's the "shotgun approach" to innovation. Try a bunch of things and see what sticks. The street race, if successful* could be the means to bring NASCAR to a LOT of new markets.

* Financially and competitively

Agreed. It's the "shotgun approach" to innovation. Try a bunch of things and see what sticks. The street race, if successful* could be the means to bring NASCAR to a LOT of new markets.

* Financially and competitively
That and nascar cares more now about making an event than a good race. It's no different than last week at Monaco. The race was terrible but they don't care because it was a great event.

So what’s the hotel rates?

I've looked at it (for giggles) as I'm an MGM member and live 5 hours away. $2,500 a night with grandstand tickets for 2 people. The package is 3 nights, and 4-day tickets for 2 people... $7,500. Plus $20/night to park (unless they're jacking that up) and $35/night resort fee BS. And that's at the **** hotels that go for $30 or less a night pretty much all the time midweek.

It's nucking futz.

I've looked at it (for giggles) as I'm an MGM member and live 5 hours away. $2,500 a night with grandstand tickets for 2 people. The package is 3 nights, and 4-day tickets for 2 people... $7,500. Plus $20/night to park (unless they're jacking that up) and $35/night resort fee BS. And that's at the **** hotels that go for $30 or less a night pretty much all the time midweek.

It's nucking futz.

Yeah……… that’s not worth the race. I’m in Vegas often in past years, those rates ain’t cool.

Us locals can sleep in our own bed.

Still not sure that it's worth attending considering the terrible sight-lines to the racing.

The best seats in the house will be in the hotels along Michigan Avenue in the upper floor rooms with windows that face Grant Park.

For those unfamiliar with downtown Chicago, this shows where in Grant Park that the track will be laid out.

chicago street race course - XL2.jpg

What does this tell you about F1....which is growing like a son of a bitch here? Maybe those who try to define "great racing" need to reconsider what the hell they think it is.
Nobody goes to Monaco for the race. They go there to see and be seen. Is that REALLY what we want auto racing to be? I personally think that F1 popularity in the US is an unsustainable fad, because there is no substance behind it.

Back
Top Bottom