Cup RACE thread --- 500 at Daytona

As some have pointed out, that’s so likely the last we hear of Stenhouse. I’m good with it though, because he is an underdog, he’s from Mississippi, and sure, he drives in over his head at times. I’m not his biggest fan, but you’d do whatever you could to hang on in a 25th-30th place car if you’re eyeballing an opportunity to cash in on a result like this. Frankly, I don’t think most of our “underdog” 500 winners are flukes. Having covered Stenhouse, I think Cindric will surely add to his tally. Furthermore, McDowell has routinely outdriven his equipment and could also realistically add on a few triumphs. So if anything is annoying, it’s the wrecking, packed-up-to-pile-up racing that I’m not crazy about. No merit taken from the winners.

I see way more than that and I don't exist with a crappy attitude, I would find something I enjoy to do. 54 lead changes among 21 different drivers. That's another record along with being the longest 500 in history.
View attachment 68931
And 3/4 of those lead changes were one car moving a foot ahead of the other at the front of the two lines.

RIP NASCAR Victory Lane
Just another byproduct of NASCAR selling out to the highest bidder without any consideration of what ( or how little) media content they are getting in return. Things like a legitimate post race show COULD have been written in the contract. Personally, as far as I'm concerned, they could ditch 75% of the pre-race in favor of good post-race coverage. I'd rather spend my time learning about what DID happen, instead of what MIGHT happen.

And 3/4 of those lead changes were one car moving a foot ahead of the other at the front of the two lines.
Don't bother, it's been explained to him plenty of times.

That said, this was a great race and I don't think passing/lead change numbers should be taken into too much consideration when talking about a race. The racing itself was really solid, imo, once tirewear came into effect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was surprised Ricky was so subdued during his victory interview but I guess I got spoiled by Greg Van Alst. Congrats Stenhouse. I see people are still debating what they are gonna call you now but I'll just call you Daytona 500 Champ.

All you need to know about this farce of a race (every year) is that Busch and Truex have never won it, and Austin Dillon and Stenhouse have.

Yeah I won't go that far. I'm just bitching about the winner because I'm a spoiled fan. But the Daytona 500 is a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
As it stands now, EVERY playoff race is a bigger deal than the 500. Literally Stenhouse winning yesterday means ziltch. He won't be a factor moving forward in the season and no one will care that he won the 500.

Happy for the Geschickter family, they have put so much into this sport. Even more estatic for Brad Daugherty, man is the epitome of class. I know he's excited and he's been high on Ricky for a reason.

Glad to see it all come together for them, I expect Ricky to not be a one win guy this season either. Popular win in the garage as well, people love Ricky. He's a good dude.

Heard a stat on the radio this morning that kind of blew my mind….Alex Bowman was the first Daytona 500 pole sitter to finish in the Top 5 since Bill Elliott did it in 2001.

Thanks to the people posting these post race interviews since Fox can't be bothered with it.

As it stands now, EVERY playoff race is a bigger deal than the 500. Literally Stenhouse winning yesterday means ziltch. He won't be a factor moving forward in the season and no one will care that he won the 500.
I'll wait and see how he runs the first half of the season before I just write him off without seeing his teams performance.

Now I'm torn, which race do I use Stenhouse for in the Pick'em game...

Back
Top Bottom