Cup RACE thread --- 600

The bummer about all this besides not getting to see Larson turn a lap at Charlotte is that I have to wait a whole year to watch a Cup race on the Charlotte oval. Oval’s been entertaining the last few years

I’m never biting the hook on another NASCRAP hype train. This sanctioning body is nothing but a cash grab cuckhold for network ad placement.

It’s a shame for the drivers, teams and fans. They really have a great and exciting product. If they had any interest in marketing it properly.

NASCAR dropped a big stinking pile of crap on the 600. Larson got to run his Indy race and made it back to Charlotte in time to get in the car then we have rain. Can't control that BUT what you can control is running the Final 100 plus laps TODAY!

The whole weekend ( hell the last 2 months really) it was non stop coverage of the double and NASCAR even gave Hendric the nod ( He will get a waiver) to run Indy and not lose his eligibility for the Championship. You through all of that trouble and then you have the perfect setup, Larson getting back in the car and starting dead last in a 100 lap shootout on a day where people will be off because of the Holiday and NASCAR says, nah, its over, everybody can go play on Lake Norman, we wouldn't want to ruin those plans. Can't wait to hear Elton on Sirius to give us the excuse. Giant Cluster fluck.

NASCAR dropped a big stinking pile of crap on the 600. Larson got to run his Indy race and made it back to Charlotte in time to get in the car then we have rain. Can't control that BUT what you can control is running the Final 100 plus laps TODAY!

The whole weekend ( hell the last 2 months really) it was non stop coverage of the double and NASCAR even gave Hendric the nod ( He will get a waiver) to run Indy and not lose his eligibility for the Championship. You through all of that trouble and then you have the perfect setup, Larson getting back in the car and starting dead last in a 100 lap shootout on a day where people will be off because of the Holiday and NASCAR says, nah, its over, everybody can go play on Lake Norman, we wouldn't want to ruin those plans. Can't wait to hear Elton on Sirius to give us the excuse. Giant Cluster fluck.
I will say this.....I don't understand the thinking behind not wanting to start a race late....it's the same thing as a Monday rain race IMO....some will be able to make it, some won't. While I am obviously happy with the win, I would have rather seen the race play out, and Larson get in the car.

Wouldn't that violate every previous protocol. I have either forgotten or never seen Nascar return to complete a race on the following day after they have already reached the half way point.
In my experience they have always finalized or called it a race once they realized the track way lost.

If they wanted to complete a full 600 miles I think they would have been obligated to keep everything in place and ready to resume immediately once the track was dried without any futher delay.

I don't mind being critical of Nascar but they really would have looked like they were just making up new rules if they had stopped last night and returned today

I mean this as respectful as I can, because I’m not trying to be a dick, but aren’t you normally one who defends the already in place rules? For as long as I can remember, and I’m sure even longer for you, the rules always been that at a certain point in the race, not sure if it’s halfway or end of stage 2 now, either way it’s the same yesterday, the race is official at that point. I wanted to see Larson do this as much as the next guy, but we don’t change the rules to make it happen. It sucks, and we just gotta hop that it works out better next year.

I think NASCAR made the right choice 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.

If the track wasn’t drying as a quickly as they had hoped/anticipated (and I’ll take NASCAR at their word) then there’s no good reason to restart the race at 1230 or potentially later (just a guess on the time) and have the race end at 2-3 am. There was almost half a race left and there would have 100% been cautions plus a stage break.

The race was halfway through so it’s an official race. It sucks but it is what it is.

I mean this as respectful as I can, because I’m not trying to be a dick, but aren’t you normally one who defends the already in place rules? For as long as I can remember, and I’m sure even longer for you, the rules always been that at a certain point in the race, not sure if it’s halfway or end of stage 2 now, either way it’s the same yesterday, the race is official at that point. I wanted to see Larson do this as much as the next guy, but we don’t change the rules to make it happen. It sucks, and we just gotta hop that it works out better next year.
The rule is the race will be official if they have passed half way and their is no chance to resume. I've seen many races that were delayed after half way and they waited and completed it.

Wouldn't that violate every previous protocol. I have either forgotten or never seen Nascar return to complete a race on the following day after they have already reached the half way point.
In my experience they have always finalized or called it a race once they realized the track way lost.

If they wanted to complete a full 600 miles I think they would have been obligated to keep everything in place and ready to resume immediately once the track was dried without any futher delay.

I don't mind being critical of Nascar but they really would have looked like they were just making up new rules if they had stopped last night and returned today
Its not a hard and fast rule, the race is official after half way IF they cant resume it, it certainly can go to the next day the same way they do if they didn't reach half way.

My point is they dropped the ball, this was the biggest story of the racing season and NASCAR had a golden opportunity to take center stage on a Holiday and let the race play out with the added bonus of Larson getting back in the car and starting last and trying to charge through the field.

The rule is the race will be official if they have passed half way and their is no chance to resume. I've seen many races that were delayed after half way and they waited and completed it.
Yeah, but not come back the next day like you suggested. They’ve never come back the next day. That’s all I’m saying man.

I think NASCAR made the right choice 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.

If the track wasn’t drying as a quickly as they had hoped/anticipated (and I’ll take NASCAR at their word) then there’s no good reason to restart the race at 1230 or potentially later (just a guess on the time) and have the race end at 2-3 am. There was almost half a race left and there would have 100% been cautions plus a stage break.

The race was halfway through so it’s an official race. It sucks but it is what it is.
We have done it at NHRA races, and it never seemed to be a problem as long as the track is far enough away from houses.

Its not a hard and fast rule, the race is official after half way IF they cant resume it, it certainly can go to the next day the same way they do if they didn't reach half way.

My point is they dropped the ball, this was the biggest story of the racing season and NASCAR had a golden opportunity to take center stage on a Holiday and let the race play out with the added bonus of Larson getting back in the car and starting last and trying to charge through the field.
I agree it was an unfortunate and a lost opportunity. But I don't think race control should change the way things are handled. I think they are obligated to be consistent even if to a fault.
The competitors deserve that much and any deviation would be seen as conspiracy with some justification.

If Nascar wanted to make an exception in this case I think they would have at least needed to issue a statement of their intentions prior to dropping the original green flag.

And I will repeat my statement that I don't think Nascar has ever resumed a Cup race on a different date after reaching the halfway point (and I am not talking about simply resuming just a few hours after midnight to trigger technically resuming on a seperate date).

If they had resumed at 11am aftrr taking a planned rest time or something like that they truly would have created a two day event even after reaching the halfway point on the planned date.
I am Larson fan and wanted it to happen but doing that kind of thing would have violated too many protocols imo.

We have done it at NHRA races, and it never seemed to be a problem as long as the track is far enough away from houses.
With all due respect I don't think the comparison applies. I just think there are too many differences.

Doesn't drag racing have to complete the brackets and have less of a halfway point to make that type of call?

With all due respect I don't think the comparison applies. I just think there are too many differences.

Doesn't drag racing have to complete the brackets and have less of a halfway point to make that type of call?
Yes, but the halfway point would only be in affect if there was no way they could get the track dried. Hasn't NASCAR run races past midnight before even after they had run past halfway?

This might be the worst possible outcome for NASCAR this weekend. The Coke 600 was rain shortened and Indy was delayed so Larson never even turned a lap at Charlotte.
How is this bad for NASCAR? NASCAR did just fine before Kyle Larson and will do just fine after him. There is no driver that important to NASCAR including Chase. The sport has seen greats come and go and continued to move on.

As for the whole Larson thing - I am very mixed. I always think it's cool when a NASCAR driver tries out the double but I don't recall a time like this (even though it may have happened and I just don't remember) where a NASCAR star like Larson prioritized the Indy 500 over NASCAR and I just don't think that is a good look for the sport when one of the faces of the sport and guy whose talent is talked about endlessly just decides to bail on a crown jewel race.

Also - can we all acknowledge just how fast that 5 car really is now? It's not that I am giving Larson no credit for it but it's clear that Cliff Daniels and he have really figured some things out if a journeyman like JA can jump in that car with basically zero experience driving this next gen car and do as well as he was. If he ran the entire race he would have ended up top-10 or better and even he was going on and on about the speed in the car.

Either way, it's all over now and I am guessing Larson will not try it again given how this worked out. I am not saying it's a "nothing" accomplishment but 18th with all the speed that car seemed to have in it? Not great. I know he will get a waiver from NASCAR and still be in the playoffs but I am surprised by the net chatter that many think he should not be given a waiver and they have a point as his did simply choose to just not come to the race and that is again a bad look. I would vote to give him the waiver as you want the stars on the big playoff stage but it does set and interesting precedent if others just decide to skip races now for sure.

I agree it was an unfortunate and a lost opportunity. But I don't think race control should change the way things are handled. I think they are obligated to be consistent even if to a fault.
The competitors deserve that much and any deviation would be seen as conspiracy with some justification.

If Nascar wanted to make an exception in this case I think they would have at least needed to issue a statement of their intentions prior to dropping the original green flag.

And I will repeat my statement that I don't think Nascar has ever resumed a Cup race on a different date after reaching the halfway point (and I am not talking about simply resuming just a few hours after midnight to trigger technically resuming on a seperate date).

If they had resumed at 11am aftrr taking a planned rest time or something like that they truly would have created a two day event even after reaching the halfway point on the planned date.
I am Larson fan and wanted it to happen but doing that kind of thing would have violated too many protocols imo.
NASCAR made concessions for this to happen, concessions they are going to be grilled over for the foreseeable future so why not finish what you started? Throw all the complaining in one big pile and let it fester until it runs its course. They had a made for TV event and let it go after going through all the trouble. That's it, its my opinion and I think they blew it.

How is this bad for NASCAR? NASCAR did just fine before Kyle Larson and will do just fine after him. There is no driver that important to NASCAR including Chase. The sport has seen greats come and go and continued to move on.

As for the whole Larson thing - I am very mixed. I always think it's cool when a NASCAR driver tries out the double but I don't recall a time like this (even though it may have happened and I just don't remember) where a NASCAR star like Larson prioritized the Indy 500 over NASCAR and I just don't think that is a good look for the sport when one of the faces of the sport and guy whose talent is talked about endlessly just decides to bail on a crown jewel race.

Also - can we all acknowledge just how fast that 5 car really is now? It's not that I am giving Larson no credit for it but it's clear that Cliff Daniels and he have really figured some things out if a journeyman like JA can jump in that car with basically zero experience driving this next gen car and do as well as he was. If he ran the entire race he would have ended up top-10 or better and even he was going on and on about the speed in the car.

Either way, it's all over now and I am guessing Larson will not try it again given how this worked out. I am not saying it's a "nothing" accomplishment but 18th with all the speed that car seemed to have in it? Not great. I know he will get a waiver from NASCAR and still be in the playoffs but I am surprised by the net chatter that many think he should not be given a waiver and they have a point as his did simply choose to just not come to the race and that is again a bad look. I would vote to give him the waiver as you want the stars on the big playoff stage but it does set and interesting precedent if others just decide to skip races now for sure.
Death to the waiver....and the BS surrounding Toyota's first Driver Champion in 2015.

Yeah, but not come back the next day like you suggested. They’ve never come back the next day. That’s all I’m saying man.
Who cares! The point is they can if they want to, that's all Im saying man.

Who cares! The point is they can if they want to, that's all Im saying man.
They can, but the rule is they don’t. Someone like you who was in the business should know that. But we can agree to disagree and end it here, and just hope next time goes better

Yes, but the halfway point would only be in affect if there was no way they could get the track dried. Hasn't NASCAR run races past midnight before even after they had run past halfway?
Yes and for the life of me I cant understand why some would have a problem with it finishing today. I'd be happy right now if we had a 1 pm resumption, but that's just me and I'm assuming you lol

OK Folks, now lets think about this for a minute (or few seconds)...
There have been many races where a NASCAR race went into a rain delay after the halfway point and decided that they would finish the race the next day. Yes, maybe they finished the race at 2:00 am, but they did in fact work to dry the track and finish it the next day. So, what is the cutoff for this "delay"? I am not sure if the rules specifically clarify when it is too late to resume the race. So, let's put a single jet drier out there all night trying to get the track dry and ready to race, but because of the humidity it takes until 11:00 am the next day. Then aren't we still working within the rule? Notwithstanding, what is the cutoff for NASCAR, 1:00 am, 3:00 am, or 11:00 am its all subjective and NASCAR's call.
They could have raced and everyone could have gotten a good nights sleep by the time they resumed...except for that one guy driving the jet drier all night.

They can, but the rule is they don’t. Someone like you who was in the business should know that. But we can agree to disagree and end it here, and just hope next time goes better
Blaze their is no rule that says they cant. Have a good day not watching the finish . ;)

The new generation that is running NASCAR doesn’t care what the fans want. It’s all about the television contract.

There have been many races where a NASCAR race went into a rain delay after the halfway point and decided that they would finish the race the next day. Yes, maybe they finished the race at 2:00 am, but they did in fact work to dry the track and finish it the next day. So, what is the cutoff for this "delay"? I am not sure if the rules specifically clarify when it is too late to resume the race. So, let's put a single jet drier out there all night trying to get the track dry and ready to race, but because of the humidity it takes until 11:00 am the next day. Then aren't we still working within the rule? Notwithstanding, what is the cutoff for NASCAR, 1:00 am, 3:00 am, or 11:00 am its all subjective and NASCAR's call.
They could have raced and everyone could have gotten a good nights sleep by the time they resumed...except for that one guy driving the jet drier all night.
This all day.

Yes they have but I think everybody agrees with that and that condition isn't being disputed or debates.

I would be okay with that if adopted as a common practice and not just a one off.

The new generation that is running NASCAR doesn’t care what the fans want. It’s all about the television contract.
As long as the check clears. It’s not viewed as a sport anymore. Just ad filler.

They’ve never come back the next day.

I don't think Nascar has ever resumed a Cup race on a different date after reaching the halfway point (and I am not talking about simply resuming just a few hours after midnight to trigger technically resuming on a seperate date).

I don't believe these statements are accurate. Of course I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain there have been rain delayed NASCAR races that finished the next day, despite the delay coming AFTER the halfway point.

Regardless, if there's any event on the schedule that could have handled a Monday completion without much of an inconvenience to anyone, it's this race. NASCAR dropped the ball.

Nascar had three choices IMO. They could have run it, they could have called it or they could have run it the next day. I'm not buying the too much humidity excuse but that is what they picked. They got their money, the TV got theirs, and everybody else got screwed out of a finish.

Back
Top Bottom