Cup RACE thread --- Sonoma

Larson is just one of 5 drivers to average 5 wins per season over a 4 year stretch since Jeff Gordon.

Best 4 season stretches:

Jimmie Johnson from 2007-2010 averaged 7.5 (5.5 for 13 years lol)
Kyle Busch from 2015-2019 averaged 5.5
Truex from 2016-2019 averaged 5.75
Harvick from 2017-2020 averaged 5.75
Larson from 2021-2024 averaged 5 and counting.

Larson has had one of the most dominant 4 season stretches in recent years...the 5th best, technically
We looked it up…so you didn’t have to!
1717974994897.jpeg

Just finished watching, what a fun race. Kyle Busch had a good day going, drove up through the field from his starting spot accompanied by some strategy and it all fell apart with two to go. He might not win a race this year, what a rough go of it.

Very pleasantly surprised that it was a good race with the repave. It's a good example of how a strategy-driven race can still be excited. On that note I am still left scratching my head on the strategy AG called for Chase leaving him out hose extra laps he was losing time and already in their fuel window. I guess maybe they were thinking this'd be in better shape if a caution came out at the end...maybe? I will say I am surprised that one did not come out all those laps in stage 3 but still a strange call for sure. Congrats to Kyle Larson. Well-driven race and perfect call by Cliff Daniels.

I'll rock with my driver, but this was entirely a tire strategy win. He was that fast because he had the best car and fresh tires.
Chase was on the same strategy, and his car wasn't nearly as fast as the 5. I think to call it a tire strategy win is over-simplifying it. Basically it was up to Cliff to not take him OUT of contention.

Chase was on the same strategy, and his car wasn't nearly as fast as the 5. I think to call it a tire strategy win is over-simplifying it. Basically it was up to Cliff to not take him OUT of contention.
Chase just doesn't have the advantage he used to on road courses. IMO he's the most talented road course driver of all time in NASCAR

Chase just doesn't have the advantage he used to on road courses. IMO he's the most talented road course driver of all time in NASCAR
I actually thought he ran well yesterday, was moving up and through the field when he had to, was passing cars when needed. I just don’t think this next gen agrees with his driving style on the road courses. As for most talented of all time, I don’t know. I’ll say he’s in the team picture with Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Rusty Wallace, Ricky Rudd, AJ Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose , MTJ and JPM as best I’ve seen run the roadies in a Cup

If Denny didn't miss a shift, all the people running TRD motors should be worried
WE are always worried. Engineers fix problems. Point taken however, two in two weeks is worrisome, but this is what engineers do....push to find the limit.

Gotta disagree there. Chase waited a little longer to pit and his lap times were at times faster some laps- then other times not. Larson did a better job of getting through traffic after the pit stop. Larson was faster and probably beats Chase regardless but to say he was "not nearly" as fast is an exaggeration. Key moment in the race for Chase was a restart where he beat Larson then started battling with Blaney and they got a little tangled up and cost Chase the spot with Larson. If Chase had been able to get by Blaney there I think he and Larson battle for the win but either way, it was good day. Always a take a top 5.

Chase Elliott hasn't won a road course race in the NextGen car.
Yeah but he's usually right there and if not for the worst timed caution at the Roval last year he wins that easily. I think with this new car the playing field is more level so it's more about strategy like yesterday but Chase still does really well on RC's. More wins will come for him but AG needs to pay better strategy.

My health is great brother. My Mom is failing. We watched the race together, and it was special. She was pissed that Denny blew. Might be the last one for her. Thanks for asking man.
Wow sorry to hear that. I have been through some very tough times in life but my health is one thing I have always been very fortunate in. Hoping for the best for you and your mother.

I actually thought he ran well yesterday, was moving up and through the field when he had to, was passing cars when needed. I just don’t think this next gen agrees with his driving style on the road courses. As for most talented of all time, I don’t know. I’ll say he’s in the team picture with Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Rusty Wallace, Ricky Rudd, AJ Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose , MTJ and JPM as best I’ve seen run the roadies in a Cup
I don't think he's the most talented of all time. He's great and in the conversation but I'd put Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart ahead of him at least.

Yeah but he's usually right there and if not for the worst timed caution at the Roval last year he wins that easily. I think with this new car the playing field is more level so it's more about strategy like yesterday but Chase still does really well on RC's. More wins will come for him but AG needs to pay better strategy.

Not uncommon in NASCAR for a guy to have a few years of being Superman on road courses, and then things level off again.

Watkins Glen and Sonoma were my favorite tracks in the mid-90s because they were borderline-guaranteed Mark Martin victories.

Kyle got imitated by the Imitator

I would make sure Chastain and a few others never finish another race. Its the only way they will learn. There are a few who believe crashing is the only way. Back in the day Dale would have explained a few things just like he did Earnie.

I think Larson is in that picture as well with 5 road course wins and you could make a case for McDowell too. Even when Front Row was significantly less strong he was top 10 on road courses.

Back
Top Bottom