Cup "rainy" RACE thread --- COTA

First stage was fine before the track got really wet. Now it’s just too wet and with all these restarts plus a long straight with 25 plus cars all together. It’s not going to end well

Someone is more of a fan of sportscar racing, how have they solved the visibility problem?

HID brake lights?
More spotters?
Better tires?
All of the above?

Hey Siri, look up Fog of War. Man those rain lights are worthless on the back straight

Someone is more of a fan of sportscar racing, how have they solved the visibility problem?

HID brake lights?
More spotters?
Better tires?
All of the above?
All of the above, but these aren't sports cars.

That's the thing, this is why the Next Gen is the way it is. However, my understanding of vehicle dynamics is limited in this case to really explain in depth what needs to change.

The 'rooster tails' make all the difference. That spray with the cars so close, you can't see.

Nascar has done races in the rain before, no issue. Open wheel and sports cars race in the rain. This needs to clear out a bit, but no we don’t need to eliminate rain racing. Bunch of softies

All of the above, but these aren't sports cars.

That's the thing, this is why the Next Gen is the way it is. However, my understanding of vehicle dynamics is limited in this case to really explain in depth what needs to change.
Yes these cars aren’t sportscars but the deal is visibility. If they can see better or atleast have a spotter in their ear telling them whats infront of them they can race easier. If the sportscars teams can do it, I don’t see why NASCAR can’t adopt some techniques eventually and this will be safer.

Drying down the backstretch is for sure the right thing to do. It looks to be the only place with standing water out there

The Xfinity Series raced the Roval last year in a downpour

This is why Cup cars need brighter lights in the rear window for rain racing..

Because when visibility gets that bad, it becomes a safety issue

The 'rooster tails' make all the difference. That spray with the cars so close, you can't see.
Maybe NASCAR can come up with an index or criteria for what conditions will permit safe racing in the rain, and which are over the line.

Greetings from COTA again! Here are pics from the previous caution, before the ugly wreck!

3EAA1D82-7AE9-4C1C-A476-4ECFF62A707C.jpeg

F092479A-2C3F-44B6-A9DC-F275258E6E55.jpeg

My dad and I are wearing trash bags in an attempt to keep dry.

We're waiting to hear whether Truex and Custer are okay.

Nascar has done races in the rain before, no issue. Open wheel and sports cars race in the rain. This needs to clear out a bit, but no we don’t need to eliminate rain racing. Bunch of softies
Armchair QB.
Both Kevin and Custer said they “couldn’t see.”
This isn’t racing but above all this isn’t safe.

I had no idea that a lot of this boards members have never driven a car in heavy rain on the interstate. Never pulled off and set out a downpour because they couldn't see. Just really surprised.

I had no idea that a lot of this boards members have never driven a car in heavy rain on the interstate. Never pulled off and set out a downpour because they couldn't see. Just really surprised.
Are you seriously comparing the interstate to a Cup race?

Nope I never have pulled off

I have, but nobody paid money to watch me compete with other drivers. I prefer to turn on the blinkers and do 45, unless the other drivers are even slower. Pulling off will get you rear-ended, Martin.

IMO this is all on the drivers. Pit and get out. Say NOPE! We'll try this again under better circumstances. Do they need to kill somebody to make the fans happy?

One of the worst things you can do on the highway is stop, even if its in the emergency lane. If you can’t drive in a storm, you really shouldn’t be driving at all. Go in the slow lane and be vigilant, but don’t make yourself a sitting target by someone who isn’t paying attention or who has lost control.

Back
Top Bottom