Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Medically cleared to race is dale JR. F the haters. Hope he wins the 'ship if DP10 can't :D

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-jr-cleared-to-return-nascar-competition.html
Very cool part of the story.....

Bowman will race the No. 88 Nationwide Chevrolet SS in the Feb. 18 season-opening, non-points The Clash at Daytona International Speedway, which will feature pole position winners from the previous year. Bowman won the No. 88 team’s lone 2016 pole at Phoenix in November.

“Alex did such a great job in the car this year, and I felt like he deserved another opportunity,” Earnhardt said. “When I spoke with Rick and the team about him driving The Clash, everyone agreed that he more than earned it, and Nationwide was 100-percent on board. I’m really grateful to him and Jeff for what they did for our team, and I’m glad Alex is getting another run with us.”

15337425_10154809905792422_6524982915467126186_n.jpg

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
8 mins ·
Yesterday was a great day to go to the track and cut some laps! Happy to be back to work. The final box is checked!

NASCAR doesn't have a doctor (think Olvey and Trammel in IndyCar days), so what does "cleared" mean? Further, who prevented Dale from getting into the car? Same guys who "cleared" him?

Very cool part of the story.....

Bowman will race the No. 88 Nationwide Chevrolet SS in the Feb. 18 season-opening, non-points The Clash at Daytona International Speedway, which will feature pole position winners from the previous year. Bowman won the No. 88 team’s lone 2016 pole at Phoenix in November.

“Alex did such a great job in the car this year, and I felt like he deserved another opportunity,” Earnhardt said. “When I spoke with Rick and the team about him driving The Clash, everyone agreed that he more than earned it, and Nationwide was 100-percent on board. I’m really grateful to him and Jeff for what they did for our team, and I’m glad Alex is getting another run with us.”

Proof that Dale Jr is an excellent human being.

While I'm happy to read that story and I'm glad to know he's coming back I can't help but be concerned as I'm sure many of his fans are. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I lost a lot of interest in the sport without my driver behind the wheel. Good luck to him. I hope that he can continue without the fear of this happening again. He really doesn't need to be doing this. It only goes to show his desire to race.

What really surprised me --- they did the 5 hours at Darlington. But, that's a tough track -- if he could do well there, he could make it at any track. The only other really tough place would have been Bristol, or Dover.

And I'm thrilled that Bowman will drive The Clash. Great reward for his hard work.

NASCAR doesn't have a doctor (think Olvey and Trammel in IndyCar days), so what does "cleared" mean? Further, who prevented Dale from getting into the car? Same guys who "cleared" him?
If you read carefully, neurosurgeon Dr. Petty was at the test. If he told Dr. Collins that all was well, I don't see the problem.

11am teleconference tomorrow morning airing live on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

Maybe he'll let the new series name slip.....

What really surprised me --- they did the 5 hours at Darlington. But, that's a tough track -- if he could do well there, he could make it at any track. The only other really tough place would have been Bristol, or Dover.

And I'm thrilled that Bowman will drive The Clash. Great reward for his hard work.

If you read carefully, neurosurgeon Dr. Petty was at the test. If he told Dr. Collins that all was well, I don't see the problem.

Read carefully as you suggest, but my point is what is NASCAR's role in restricting a driver from driving, and thus "clearing" him? If a driver didn't like a diagnosis, he could find a doctor who would give him a better one, and thus a doctor who could "clear" him. This is not a shot at Jr. and his process, but a criticism of a lack of a system to address issues like Jr. because NASCAR for whatever reason doesn't have a series doctor.

Read carefully as you suggest, but my point is what is NASCAR's role in restricting a driver from driving, and thus "clearing" him? If a driver didn't like a diagnosis, he could find a doctor who would give him a better one, and thus a doctor who could "clear" him. This is not a shot at Jr. and his process, but a criticism of a lack of a system to address issues like Jr. because NASCAR for whatever reason doesn't have a series doctor.
NASCAR requires a board-certified neurologist or neurosurgeon with at least five years of experience in treating sports-related head injuries to clear a driver after a concussion.

I don't know that it makes any since for NASCAR to employ a neurologist when they already have access to the best doctors in that field.

http://www.upmc.com/media/experts/Pages/michael-collins.aspx

http://www.cnsa.com/physicians/petty.html

NASCAR requires a board-certified neurologist or neurosurgeon with at least five years of experience in treating sports-related head injuries to clear a driver after a concussion.

I don't know that it makes any since for NASCAR to employ a neurologist when they already have access to the best doctors in that field.

Here's another one:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...ncussion-protocol-hendrick-motorsports-071616

Dale Jr.'s return guarantees eyeballs on 2017 NASCAR season

NASCAR, its tracks, television networks, souvenir vendors and everyone else who works in the sport got an early Christmas present Thursday with the news that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be back piloting the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, starting with the 2017 Daytona 500, Feb. 26 on FOX.

This is huge news.

Whether you’re an Earnhardt fan or not, there is no question that he moves the needle more than any other driver in the sport. When Earnhardt is on the track racing — and especially when he’s winning races — he puts butts in the seats and eyeballs on the televisions and phones like no other driver.

It’s not even close.

There’s a reason he’s won the National Motorsports Press Association Most Popular Driver award for 14 consecutive years. Earnhardt has a huge and loyal fan base, and when he missed the second half of the 2016 season, a lot of those fans lost interest, or at least scaled way back.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...cleared-return-2017-nascar-daytona-500-120816

Dale Jr.'s return guarantees eyeballs on 2017 NASCAR season

NASCAR, its tracks, television networks, souvenir vendors and everyone else who works in the sport got an early Christmas present Thursday with the news that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be back piloting the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, starting with the 2017 Daytona 500, Feb. 26 on FOX.

This is huge news.

Whether you’re an Earnhardt fan or not, there is no question that he moves the needle more than any other driver in the sport. When Earnhardt is on the track racing — and especially when he’s winning races — he puts butts in the seats and eyeballs on the televisions and phones like no other driver.

It’s not even close.

There’s a reason he’s won the National Motorsports Press Association Most Popular Driver award for 14 consecutive years. Earnhardt has a huge and loyal fan base, and when he missed the second half of the 2016 season, a lot of those fans lost interest, or at least scaled way back.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...cleared-return-2017-nascar-daytona-500-120816

Add to this monster taking over the series, 2017 should be a great year to be a NASCAR fan.

Is Nascar going to announce a new rule imposing a 3 race suspension to any driver that wrecks JR?

Gotta protect their cash cow...:sarcasm:

I never realized how many fans follow Dale Jr.,not NASCAR.I had so many friends give up NASCAR when he went out.That has to be scary for the France family.
I've been a fan of the sport since the early 90s and can admit that after Jr's season finished this past year i didn't watch a full race the rest of the way. I actually thought about how scary that must be for the France family as you said. When Dale finally ga n gs it up its gonna be very interesting to see how much it affects the sport, especially now that others like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are done as well.

I've been a fan of the sport since the early 90s and can admit that after Jr's season finished this past year i didn't watch a full race the rest of the way. I actually thought about how scary that must be for the France family as you said. When Dale finally ga n gs it up its gonna be very interesting to see how much it affects the sport, especially now that others like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are done as well.
I really don't think folks realize how much it impacted Nascar when Sr. was killed....... had it not been for Jr... it would have been much worse... then... at the same time Brian took over the helm and proceeded to make radical changes that he had no clue as to what he was doing ....or the outcome..... the changes he made proved to not work so well.... so..... he continued to make more changes that have proved to be worse and worse with every change...... The only thing that has kept Nascar afloat was JR., Jeff Gordon, Tony, Jimmie, and a few others......... With a few more changes to the format..... (actually I think this last format with a winner take all is the last death knell)....... Nascar might as well just hang it up........ The way they award a Champion is just sorry as hell to me......

Does NASCAR have the access or do the drivers access their own doctors? IndyCar and F1 at least had their own doctors.

Does NASCAR have the access or do the drivers access their own doctors? IndyCar and F1 at least had their own doctors.
I don't follow F1 or IndyCar and I don't even really pay attention to NASCAR's medical staff. I'm just curious though, what do you see that is not working here? NASCAR has a concussion protocol in place. Doctors that specialize in this area present their findings and NASCAR reacts to those findings. What difference could it possibly make for NASCAR to employee a neurologist other than NASCAR shelling out moneys unnecessarily?

If your concern is that NASCAR doesn't have a traveling medical staff that is on NASCAR's payroll then I still have to wonder, what's not working? The subject of NASCAR not employing its own medical staff comes up occasionally and from what I remember, NASCAR has stated that they want medical staff that is familiar with the area and facilities available within that area.

I don't follow F1 or IndyCar and I don't even really pay attention to NASCAR's medical staff. I'm just curious though, what do you see that is not working here? NASCAR has a concussion protocol in place. Doctors that specialize in this area present their findings and NASCAR reacts to those findings. What difference could it possibly make for NASCAR to employee a neurologist other than NASCAR shelling out moneys unnecessarily?

If your concern is that NASCAR doesn't have a traveling medical staff that is on NASCAR's payroll then I still have to wonder, what's not working? The subject of NASCAR not employing its own medical staff comes up occasionally and from what I remember, NASCAR has stated that they want medical staff that is familiar with the area and facilities available within that area.
I think he just wants a TRD certified Mechanic/Neurologist on Nascars payroll. In his view if it aint yoder it aint legit. :cool:

Works fine and because the Neurologist isn't employed by NASCAR, they can't interfere and have drivers re-instated because they want him back. Drivers must be cleared by him to drive a again although he doesn't have to be the drivers choice. In Juniors case he just reviewed Dale's doctors testing and attended Dale's test at the track.

Great question.....Let me clarify.... First, Brad Keselowski had huge reservations about the mandatory concussion baseline testing. He feels very strongly about having the ability to make his own decisions about whether or not he gets into the car. What that tells me is that Brad is going to find a doctor that supports his wishes.....and he will because from what I understand, at least some of this concussion testing is subjective. We hear stuff like "it is different for everybody" all of the time in this regard. A NASCAR employed neurologist gives the sanctioning body some consistency in evaluating whether or not a driver is fit to get into a car---if that is even their concern. One guy who makes the call gives more consistency that a few making their own calls. NASCAR reacts to the findings of a driver's doctor? What do they know? My point in all of this is that the words "Junior has been cleared" is overdramatized because there is no specific protocol to do this IMO. It is at the discretion of the doctor. Does NASCAR listen to every board certified neurologist? I think Michael Jackson was treated by a board certified doctor. Money talks. Having said all of this, let me be clear. I am very happy that Junior is better, and will race again. This is not a criticism of his process so much as it is a criticism of NASCAR's process.

A note on the traveling medical staff.....Olvey and Trammel have commented that their understanding of the drivers and their specific medical characteristics pretty much saved Alex Zanardi's life. Having series specific emergency doctors is not just a good thing, it is essential. NASCAR needs this. Period. I have no idea why they won't do it. I have heard the argument that they want the emergency responders to be familiar with the facilities of the area. This is simply the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, but whatever. Like a series doctor wouldn't have the ability to develop relationships with area facilities? Stupid.

I think he just wants a TRD certified Mechanic/Neurologist on Nascars payroll. In his view if it aint yoder it aint legit. :cool:

Damn straight. Coffee through nose. Ya got me again Johali! Great stuff! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Great question.....Let me clarify.... First, Brad Keselowski had huge reservations about the mandatory concussion baseline testing. He feels very strongly about having the ability to make his own decisions about whether or not he gets into the car. What that tells me is that Brad is going to find a doctor that supports his wishes.....and he will because from what I understand, at least some of this concussion testing is subjective. We hear stuff like "it is different for everybody" all of the time in this regard. A NASCAR employed neurologist gives the sanctioning body some consistency in evaluating whether or not a driver is fit to get into a car---if that is even their concern. One guy who makes the call gives more consistency that a few making their own calls. NASCAR reacts to the findings of a driver's doctor? What do they know? My point in all of this is that the words "Junior has been cleared" is overdramatized because there is no specific protocol to do this IMO. It is at the discretion of the doctor. Does NASCAR listen to every board certified neurologist? I think Michael Jackson was treated by a board certified doctor. Money talks. Having said all of this, let me be clear. I am very happy that Junior is better, and will race again. This is not a criticism of his process so much as it is a criticism of NASCAR's process.

A note on the traveling medical staff.....Olvey and Trammel have commented that their understanding of the drivers and their specific medical characteristics pretty much saved Alex Zanardi's life. Having series specific emergency doctors is not just a good thing, it is essential. NASCAR needs this. Period. I have no idea why they won't do it. I have heard the argument that they want the emergency responders to be familiar with the facilities of the area. This is simply the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, but whatever. Like a series doctor wouldn't have the ability to develop relationships with area facilities? Stupid.
I don't know..... I guess light the torch and go after NASCAR and their medical practices. I really don't have much of a thought on the subject as I consider it a non issue.

I don't know..... I guess light the torch and go after NASCAR and their medical practices. I really don't have much of a thought on the subject as I consider it a non issue.

Naw, it's not that big of a deal to me, but it sure has become a big deal to others because "Junior has been cleared!" My only point is that if you really want to address the issue of driver safety, do it in a way that makes sense, and refrain from the celebratory headline on NASCAR.com insinuating that somebody has been "cleared" when all that really happened is that a private doctor gave a diagnosis that other might disagree with. That's all.

Jr's teleconference going on now.....

Dale Jr on Darlington test: I don't think the test could have went any better.

@dustinlong
now

#NASCAR: Dale Jr said Dr. Petty evaluated him after each run at Darlington on Wednesday during test that led to Dale being cleared 2 return

Since Dr. Collins and Dr. Petty are both nationally recognized physicians throughout the sports world as experts in neurological problems, I'll take their
opinions any day of the week. They are not just some private doctor. And Brad K's opinion goes about as far with me as I could throw him.

Back
Top Bottom