Danica Patrick won’t return to Stewart-Haas in 2018

She's making it sound like her performance issues in a team that has 2 drivers in the playoffs this year and has won 2 championships since 2011 aren't her fault. The writer should have really followed-up more and gotten more quotes. That's a HUGE story.

Sometimes I think her career would have gone a lot smoother if she had learned to have kept her mouth shut at certain key moments (e. g., Kansas).

Wonder how well her crew (as well as everyone else at SHR) willl respond after having just been publicly thrown under the bus - I imagine it's going to be pretty frosty in the garage these remaining ten weeks.

Sometimes I think her career would have gone a lot smoother if she had learned to have kept her mouth shut at certain key moments (e. g., Kansas).

Wonder how well her crew and everyone else at SHR willl respond after having just been publicly thrown under the bus - I imagine it's going to be pretty frosty in the garage these remaining ten weeks.

I bet Tony didn't take those comments well.

I don't think that your average fan in football ever looked at the pro football players as someone who they might know, might live next door to, or work in a garage around the corner from them. NASCAR drivers used to fit that mold. Heck, they used to fit that mold through the mid-80's/early 90's. They aren't your average joe any longer and that's something I believe that NASCAR fans long for when you read posts about driver interaction, and autograph/picture/die cast collections. This used to be a every man's sport and it has slipped into something very different.

I can remember talking to drivers and crew members back in the 80's as it was no big deal then. All the guys seemed like regular Joe's to me and that made it a really good experience.

I would like to remind one and all that no second rate male drivers had to race like Danica. How many times have we seen the back markers ( or Denny) take her out just because they didn't want to be beat by a women. Shameful as it is, her numbers would have been much better if she was a male. I waited her whole time in cup to see her pull a JG or a MK but she proved herself more manly than those two.

Sure.. (as I reach for my kleenex)

Haha go figure instead of just thanking SHR she decides to blame the team for her struggles. Maybe there's a reason her crew doesn't work 18-hour days for her.

I missed something....what did she say about SHR?

I wouldn't argue that Danica is the problem -- these teams are complex structures.

I would simply assert that Danica is not the answer -- and it's time for her to move on to a different team or another challenge in life.

But first, she did a clean bump 'n run on small dillon -- and small dillon did her dirty with a full dump. So, small dillon now finds himself in a precarious and vulnerable position as he struggles to tread water in the deep end of the Chase pool. It would only be fair for Danica to race him hard every time they are around each other...

BUBBA TO THE 10! MAKE IT HAPPEN NASCAR!!!!
This is what I want to see. Ryan Blaney has shown his worth already, and Bubba being his best friend only gives that competitive edge, plus the ability to market a minority should be high on a lot of sponsor's list. It makes total sense and if I was a team owner, that's the strategy I'd go with. I think Danica will wind up in Cup next year too. FRM seems a good place for her. She can handle restrictor plates very well, and if she were to win, it would be MONUMENTAL.

Running 20th on a consistent basis is nothing to sneeze at, and maintaining a sponsorship in a sport that's been male dominated is also an accomplishment.
Average finish of 24th may not be something to sneeze at (subjective), but her teammates have average finishes half that or better. When you consistently perform 50% worse than the rest of the team, you get cut. Its a business move plain and simple. Their sponsors expect to see their name up front rather than in 25th and/or in the wall.

I can remember talking to drivers and crew members back in the 80's as it was no big deal then. All the guys seemed like regular Joe's to me and that made it a really good experience.
As you point out, many are attracted to the Nascar Lifestyle of the Early Nascar Era. Flatbed trailers and drivers with grease under their fingernails. Encounters with drivers and crew at the diner or the motel, not scheduled meet-and-greets in the corporate suite for sponsor-invited guests. No power steering, no private planes, no motorhomes. "All the guys seemed like regular Joe's to me and that made it a really good experience."

Others are primarily fans of racing and care little about nostalgia for the lifestyle of an earlier era. It's racing... brass knuckle competition on the track... man against man, team against team. Who will win, and who will lose, and why. This is what Nascar is to me. I care deeply about the history of the sport. But it is history, not the present, not the future.

These two types of fans tend to see the sport very differently, tend not to understand each other, and tend to talk past each other on discussion boards. It is what it is.

As you point out, many are attracted to the Nascar Lifestyle of the Early Nascar Era. Flatbed trailers and drivers with grease under their fingernails. Encounters with drivers and crew at the diner or the motel, not scheduled meet-and-greets in the corporate suite for sponsor-invited guests. No power steering, no private planes, no motorhomes. "All the guys seemed like regular Joe's to me and that made it a really good experience."

Others are primarily fans of racing and care little about nostalgia for the lifestyle of an earlier era. It's racing... brass knuckle competition on the track... man against man, team against team. Who will win, and who will lose, and why. This is what Nascar is to me. I care deeply about the history of the sport. But it is history, not the present, not the future.

These two types of fans tend to see the sport very differently, tend not to understand each other, and tend to talk past each other on discussion boards. It is what it is.

I can't speak for others but I know I enjoyed meeting team members and drivers as a bonus to the racing action as that was about the only time you really heard much from them in the pre-social media days. I never thought of attending a race and periodically running into people involved in the action as being a lifestyle but it is neat to know I was on the cutting edge and didn't even know it!

I think that there is the possibility of a hybrid fan that inhabits both worlds. At least, that's the place I live within.

I think for a lot of us it's been a double edged sword. When I became a fan of NASCAR in the early 80's, I dreamed of it becoming a "major" sport up alongside all of the stick and ball sports. And then it happened, and we all found out there was a lot of downside to that too. I dearly love the history of the sport, especially after getting to work for and meet some of the people that MADE that history. At the same time, I was happy to see that the modern era drivers and crews didn't have to ride to the race in a 12 hour van ride and sleep in a Motel 6 for about minimum wage after figuring in all of the hours they put in. One of the neat things about when I worked in ARCA, was that it was like going back to see what NASCAR was like in the late 70's early 80's, with everything from full out teams and transporters, down to three guys towing a car with a pickup and open trailer, with spare parts stored inside the car. I think the biggest problem NASCAR has, is that it simply grew too fast, and outgrew it's support system. I also think we found out all too well how much of that growth was fueled solely by one Ralph Dale Earnhardt.

I think for a lot of us it's been a double edged sword. When I became a fan of NASCAR in the early 80's, I dreamed of it becoming a "major" sport up alongside all of the stick and ball sports. And then it happened, and we all found out there was a lot of downside to that too. I dearly love the history of the sport, especially after getting to work for and meet some of the people that MADE that history. At the same time, I was happy to see that the modern era drivers and crews didn't have to ride to the race in a 12 hour van ride and sleep in a Motel 6 for about minimum wage after figuring in all of the hours they put in. One of the neat things about when I worked in ARCA, was that it was like going back to see what NASCAR was like in the late 70's early 80's, with everything from full out teams and transporters, down to three guys towing a car with a pickup and open trailer, with spare parts stored inside the car. I think the biggest problem NASCAR has, is that it simply grew too fast, and outgrew it's support system. I also think we found out all too well how much of that growth was fueled solely by one Ralph Dale Earnhardt.

I agree with your points and feel that Nascar got greedy and instead of managing growth and keeping some pent up demand they opened the floodgates and built tracks that were suitable to seating fans instead of helping provide good and interesting racing. Nascar never knew why or took the time to find out what drew the influx of fans to begin with and subsequently got caught with their trousers around their ankles.

I have never claimed to be the sharpest turnip on the wagon but it was readily apparent to anyone willing to look briefly at the charter system to see it would be an epic failure. How does flooding the market with charters make anything of any value other than the initial teams that felt they needed one and bought one? Part of what makes ridiculing Nascar so easy is that they are the absolute kings of unintended consequences and they compound poor choice upon poor choice which means they have no real leader or leadership.

It doesn't? There's only 38-40 cars out there each week. 24th is piss poor

When looking back on her accomplishments in NASCAR it doesn't matter all that much if you were 20th or 25th. The difference is minimal.

Danica will be remembered for being the first female to make a go at NASCAR's premier series in the modern era. They will remember that she ran just about mid-pack and never won a race. Few will remember if she was 20th or 25th.

When looking back on her accomplishments in NASCAR it doesn't matter all that much if you were 20th or 25th. The difference is minimal.

Danica will be remembered for being the first female to make a go at NASCAR's premier series in the modern era. They will remember that she ran just about mid-pack and never won a race. Few will remember if she was 20th or 25th.

If a person perused the stat sheets it would be easy to call DP a mid-pack driver but if you dig a little deeper a different story begins to emerge. At this point she sits 28th in the standings and only 4 other drivers, Cassill, DiBenedetto, Ragan and Whitt, who have competed in all 26 events thus far have a lower points position. When you are 28th out of 32 that seems more bottom of the barrel than mid-pack to me. I realize that my comments will get me branded as a "hater" and goodness knows what else but those are just the numbers in context and totality.

If a person perused the stat sheets it would be easy to call DP a mid-pack driver but if you dig a little deeper a different story begins to emerge. At this point she sits 28th in the standings and only 4 other drivers, Cassill, DiBenedetto, Ragan and Whitt, who have competed in all 26 events thus far have a lower points position. When you are 28th out of 32 that seems more bottom of the barrel than mid-pack to me. I realize that my comments will get me branded as a "hater" and goodness knows what else but those are just the numbers in context and totality.

Does it really matter? Drivers are measured by how many races they win, not if they ran 20th vs 42nd.

Does it really matter? Drivers are measured by how many races they win, not if they ran 20th vs 42nd.

I think the only context that it matters is if/when people start using revisionist history to describe DP's career with erroneous comments like "she was a solid mid-pack driver" which the stats just don't bear out. My guess is that once DP moves away from Nascar she will be forgotten like Loy Allen and Jeff Purvis until another female driver comes along and she is used for comparison purposes.

I know I haven't posted in awhile and that I'm a little late to the party (I just caught up in the races on my dvr today) but what beautiful, wonderful, amazing, glorious news! Hell, I feel like it's my birthday! 10 races to go and I can finally change my profile picture! See ya Danica!

I'm not going to make any excuses for her performance, but it WOULD be interesting to see where she was running when she got crashed by somebody else, as was so often the case, and then recalculate her average. I think the biggest disappointment for me in her performance was not that she wasn't all that good, but that there just wasn't a whole lot of improvement from when she started, at least as far as where she ended up. You could see some moments where it seemed like it was starting to click, but it never lasted. I say this as somebody that knew she would never be a championship contender, but honestly hoped she would turn into a top 15 driver.

I would like to remind one and all that no second rate male drivers had to race like Danica. How many times have we seen the back markers ( or Denny) take her out just because they didn't want to be beat by a women. Shameful as it is, her numbers would have been much better if she was a male. I waited her whole time in cup to see her pull a JG or a MK but she proved herself more manly than those two.

Good grief, if anything they wrecked her because she was going too slow in the left lane

What the heck? Yesterday afternoon, Dave Moody's topic on Sirius XM was whether she is Hall of Fame Worthy. Now this morning, on Tradin' Paint, Jim Noble and Chocolate Myers are talking about the same thing! o_O

I'm not going to make any excuses for her performance, but it WOULD be interesting to see where she was running when she got crashed by somebody else, as was so often the case, and then recalculate her average. I think the biggest disappointment for me in her performance was not that she wasn't all that good, but that there just wasn't a whole lot of improvement from when she started, at least as far as where she ended up. You could see some moments where it seemed like it was starting to click, but it never lasted. I say this as somebody that knew she would never be a championship contender, but honestly hoped she would turn into a top 15 driver.

I thought DP could improve to the point that top 15's would not be surprising and the 4-5 top 10's a year could be possible but it never materialized. Regarding her getting crashed out it is something that all drivers have to deal with as I know JJ has been taken out 2-3 times this year due to circumstances beyond his control as have several others. I was reading that she is mad at Austin Dillon and his going to have contact with him which is a pretty dumb thing to say given AD is in the chase and apparently Nascar doesn't like people roughing up chase participants.

... I was reading that she is mad at Austin Dillon and his going to have contact with him which is a pretty dumb thing to say given AD is in the chase and apparently Nascar doesn't like people roughing up chase participants.

LOL this could be interesting. Might she become the second driver to ever be suspended for on-track action? ;)

It will be a sad day if Danica, Jr., and Kenseth all retire after Homestead but NASCAR will soldier on.

When you want to keep working but no one wants you isn't there another name than retired? Downsized, made redundant, put out to pasture, thrown on the scrap heap, given severance....?

I think you are missing the point. 20th vs 24th doesn't really matter.

I think it does, it demonstrates how close she was to being near the bottom, and definitely the bottom of list when it comes to having top teir ride.

I think it does, it demonstrates how close she was to being near the bottom, and definitely the bottom of list when it comes to having top teir ride.

In Nascar there is often times a huge drop off between 10th-15th-20th-25th as the cars may seem close together but in reality they can be worlds apart. It isn't uncommon to see a driver starting in the rear of the field and charging up through it only to stall out once he gets to the good cars.

It will be a sad day if Danica, Jr., and Kenseth all retire after Homestead but NASCAR will soldier on.
It sucks that in just a couple of years time we will have lost as drivers Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Dale Earnhardt Jr, most likely Danica Patrick, and maybe Matt Kenseth and Kasey Kahne. The sport will indeed go on, but it's kind of sad that all those drivers were in the sport just a couple years ago and it's likely that none of them will be next year.

LOL this could be interesting. Might she become the second driver to ever be suspended for on-track action? ;)

Maybe we can get a 10 race Danica vs Dillon that will play out like the Vicker's/Kenseth feud. That would be fantastic. She'd become one of my fav drivers if she took Dillon out of the playoffs.

Maybe we can get a 10 race Danica vs Dillon that will play out like the Vicker's/Kenseth feud. That would be fantastic. She'd become one of my fav drivers if she took Dillon out of the playoffs.

Dillion has been a wanker to her in the past as well

I would gladly contribute money for a Danica Dump Dillon GoFundMe... :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom