Denny Hamlin Appreciation Thread

I’m not even a football fan (I occasionally watch in playoffs and has seen him in such a few times), but Denny seems about as clutch as Dak Prescott as a good comparison, also going by some friends who post about Cowboys sometimes etc. Both are good in regular season at times.

For the first time in his career. Funny. I had just been thinking about this and had come here to post these thoughts.

I'll say this. This is the best version of Denny we can get. He stopped caring and taking such offense from fans, imo. But he's leaned into this FOR the fans and for the sport. Fun businessman Denny knows fans WANT someone to boo, and I think he's doing it for the benefit of the sport. He genuinely seemed happy with the boos. Tony and KB are gone. Bubba ain't a villain and I doubt Denny is happy with Bubba being the most booed. He cares very much about the future of the sport, and seems to want to play as much of a role in the growth and entertainment as possible.

He seemed genuinely happy to be getting boos, whereas before he seemed offended. He's getting fans engaged in the sport.

I'm going to continue to root against this turd. I'm going to hope, and believe he won't win a championship this year still..

But if he does pull it off, to my disgruntled self, I don't think there's a championship-less driver in the history of the sport who is more deserving of one.

Except Carl Edwards ;)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Great post as always. Obviously, I am a OEM-centric fan....but lean toward the hated Toyota drivers as my favs--must be the middle kid in me. Denny is filling the hole left by KB.....and so is Ty....but Denny is performing at a different level. I freaking love how he is showing up....I am buying Denny merch....and I have called my shot. He will win it all....and I am planning on being there to witness it. LFG!

Great post as always. Obviously, I am a OEM-centric fan....but lean toward the hated Toyota drivers as my favs--must be the middle kid in me. Denny is filling the hole left by KB.....and so is Ty....but Denny is performing at a different level. I freaking love how he is showing up....I am buying Denny merch....and I have called my shot. He will win it all....and I am planning on being there to witness it. LFG!
Willy B appreciates you being there in support when he noses out Denny and Martin for his first of many championships in Phoenix. :D :p

Tbh as far as him being at a different level etc. I’ll admit he’s had a damn good year.

It’s agreed upon by many that while he’s having a damn good year, he’s had similar very good years at this point in the season before. Even to the point of being considered a “favorite”. He just never get it done.

Several times it could have easily went his way though and he’s had some bad luck. I definitely don’t like him and hope that trend continues. But I also recognize he IS still one of the greats.

That being said this is quite possibly as they say “his last best shot” at winning one. He’s quickly racing toward the twilight of his career. If he’s ever going to win one this is the time, or he likely never will.

I really hope he does not.

Not sure I’d call it amazing, as if he actually wins one it will likely signal the apocalypse is here.
The thought of Brian France in a firesuit somehow finding his way to the trophy in the same universe as myself is a worrisome thought. You know what, that’s probably my own equivalent to WhiningSmoke’s Tyler Reddick phobia.

Why doesn't anybody ever talk about Denny's walk off in the semi at Phoenix in 2019? I will help you....doesn't feed the narrative. Bet against Denny. Go ahead.

Why doesn't anybody ever talk about Denny's walk off in the semi at Phoenix in 2019? I will help you....doesn't feed the narrative. Bet against Denny. Go ahead.
I think it’s because that race was so boring that it forced NASCAR to have a short track package with more power and a smaller spoiler for the 2020 season

Because it was only the semis. Like Bell last year.

Let’s see him “walk off” at Phoenix now….Hopefully literally as he walks off the track during the race. Would love to see that at Phoenix. :newbie: :XXROFL: :newbie::p:D:D:D:D

I think it’s because that race was so boring that it forced NASCAR to have a short track package with more power and a smaller spoiler for the 2020 season
....and he beat your favorite driver with that **** package.

Because it was only the semis. Like Bell last year.

Let’s see him “walk off” at Phoenix now….Hopefully literally as he walks off the track during the race. Would love to see that at Phoenix. :newbie: :XXROFL: :newbie::p:D:D:D:D
We celebrate Mark Martin and **** talk Denny. Denny is a hell of a lot more talented that Martin.....but those haters are going to hate. Love it. Has brought the bounce back into my step since Kyle started drinking wine with Poor Richard.

denny is not a true black hat tho IMHO. Not like Kyle was. Hamlin has done too many shows/podcast that show him to be a nice guy. Hamlin embraces the role the fans have put him in, but I dont feel thats who he is a person.

We celebrate Mark Martin and **** talk Denny. Denny is a hell of a lot more talented that Martin.....but those haters are going to hate. Love it. Has brought the bounce back into my step since Kyle started drinking wine with Poor Richard.
He just has the cars Mark always wished he had and still can’t do it. He was old when he went to the 5 but still pretty good.

This feels like revisionist history. Mark had some of the best cars in the sport in the 90s. He wasn't driving around **** boxes.
He talks about that on the Kenny Wallace Conversation where he testing to prepare for the championship race against Sr and was asked to test the 28 and it was so much faster than his due to the horsepower and I think something to do with the wing or something I can’t remember; but he said that he ended up borrowing the car for that race.
Interestingly he said he may have won if he had kept his own car

Yes he had good cars but not modern JGR level

Mark Martin was the top roush driver when roush was in its prime. You can't tell me he didn't have top tier equipment.

Mark Martin was the top roush driver when roush was in its prime. You can't tell me he didn't have top tier equipment.

1990s Roush was a great team, but not the best in the sport and not as good across the board as modern day JGR. Mark ran better than his teammate Burton and far better than whoever was in the 16, whether it was Wally or Musgrave or whoever else. IMO, prime Roush was in the 2000s once they expanded, and Mark was past his prime at that point. Yet he still had a championship run at age 50 once he got to Hendrick.

I think Hamlin and Martin are both great drivers, and looking at their accomplishments and seeing both of them race for many years, I think most of us would agree they are on a similar level. So I think it's foolish to claim Hamlin is "a hell of a lot more talented" than Martin, but I'm just a hater apparently. :wacko:

I think Hamlin and Martin are both great drivers, and looking at their accomplishments and seeing both of them race for many years, I think most of us would agree they are on a similar level. So I think it's foolish to claim Hamlin is "a hell of a lot more talented" than Martin, but I'm just a hater apparently. :wacko:
I've been called worse than "foolish." Thank you.

Hamlin and MM certainly have experience being bridesmaids

We celebrate Mark Martin and **** talk Denny. Denny is a hell of a lot more talented that Martin.
That's mostly because Mark is a self deprecating Sad Sack nice guy, and Denny is a douche bag most of the time. Talent level? In my mind about the same, but one difference is Mark wasn't going to run over ANYBODY just to win a race. Can anybody name even ONE instance where Mark got into somebody on purpose?

Denny has had years like this before, but I think it's gonna come down to him and Larson.

Two fastest cars all year, and the two fastest cars these first 3 races.

This is talk for a driver who has won the title.

Denny needs to prove he can do that before he becomes someone you "don't wanna bet against"

When it comes to championship caliber seasons, someone could have made a fortune betting against him.

Swing and a miss on this one dude lol

I don't celebrate Mark Martin and never did. I think he's one of the most overrated drivers in the hx of the sport but that may not be popular.

I don't celebrate Mark Martin and never did. I think he's one of the most overrated drivers in the hx of the sport but that may not be popular.

Yeah, getting 40 wins is easy, anyone can do it.

This is talk for a driver who has won the title.

Denny needs to prove he can do that before he becomes someone you "don't wanna bet against"

When it comes to championship caliber seasons, someone could have made a fortune betting against him.

Swing and a miss on this one dude lol

Not at all....with this format, you can go from a non-champion to a Hall of Famer in one night. The point being here that Denny in a single race with a win necessary can pull it off where the choker narrative is the predominant line of crap. Right now, Denny doesn't care....has the best car in the field.....and has a pit crew gaining confidence by the race....bet against him.

Denny has had years like this before, but I think it's gonna come down to him and Larson.

Two fastest cars all year, and the two fastest cars these first 3 races.

There are sports stories that end in a futile attempt to win it all while being close, and there are those of trying several years before the championship is achieved. Will be fun to see how this plays out.

The point being here that Denny in a single race with a win necessary can pull it off where the choker narrative is the predominant line of crap. Right now, Denny doesn't care....has the best car in the field.....and has a pit crew gaining confidence by the race....bet against him.

I don't think he's a choker at all. Some people may point to Sonoma where he completely blew the last turn, giving Tony Stewart his last career win, but I'm still 100% convinced he did that on purpose. Denny didn't need that win, and he's too good to make a mistake of that magnitude.

Denny can't win a title because he's too stupid to play the long game. He drives like a peckerhead throughout the season, makes enemies in the process, and it always comes back to bite him when it matters. The "Denny doesn't care" attitude is what always gets him into trouble, and why he will always be a loser.

I don't think he's a choker at all. Some people may point to Sonoma where he completely blew the last turn, giving Tony Stewart his last career win, but I'm still 100% convinced he did that on purpose. Denny didn't need that win, and he's too good to make a mistake of that magnitude.

Denny can't win a title because he's too stupid to play the long game. He drives like a peckerhead throughout the season, makes enemies in the process, and it always comes back to bite him when it matters. The "Denny doesn't care" attitude is what always gets him into trouble, and why he will always be a loser.
When has Denny's driving ethics actually cost him the title? Be specific. I know it sounds good, but that has never entered into the equation.

When has Denny's driving ethics actually cost him the title? Be specific. I know it sounds good, but that has never entered into the equation.
Fair point. I don’t ever really remember him being enough of a factor in those races for anyone to have a chance to cost him one so I agree for once.

Is this a joke?

Well right off the bat, 2017 comes to mind. It wasn't that long ago. Surely you remember his actions at Martinsville, and the end result at Phoenix.....

Is this a joke?

Well right off the bat, 2017 comes to mind. It wasn't that long ago. Surely you remember his actions at Martinsville, and the end result at Phoenix.....
That wasn't for the title....that was for a shot at the title....but okay. Once. I don't buy this you have to spend a season kissing ass thing to win a title.

That's mostly because Mark is a self deprecating Sad Sack nice guy, and Denny is a douche bag most of the time. Talent level? In my mind about the same, but one difference is Mark wasn't going to run over ANYBODY just to win a race. Can anybody name even ONE instance where Mark got into somebody on purpose?
100%. If Mark had no conscience like Sr and Denny he'd have a few more wins too.

Back
Top Bottom