Denny Hamlin Appreciation Thread

I have seen Mark Martin win a race and bitch about the car in the winners circle interview.
No you didn't....he never through his team under the bus publicly. You're thinking Kyle Busch...

Closest he may have come would be politics with NASCAR when NASCAR gave GM every break they could...routinely.

Is this a joke?

Well right off the bat, 2017 comes to mind. It wasn't that long ago. Surely you remember his actions at Martinsville, and the end result at Phoenix.....
Is this referring to his spat with Chase and when Chase cooly forced Denny into the wall at a later race? Thats the first thing that popped into my mind. Chase was a smooooth operator on that deal. Loved it..

No you didn't....he never through his team under the bus publicly. You're thinking Kyle Busch...

Closest he may have come would be politics with NASCAR when NASCAR gave GM every break they could...routinely.

I mean, Mark Martin has been screwed out of so many wins and even a championship by NASCAR, and he's never once complained about it. NASCAR looked for reasons to screw him over, and has made many decisions involving Mark Martin that completely break precedent, or made decisions to benefit other drivers that broke all precedents at Mark Martin's expense.

They did Carl Edwards dirty throughout his career too. That caution at the end of the 2016 Miami race was probably the most egregious example.

This feels like revisionist history. Mark had some of the best cars in the sport in the 90s. He wasn't driving around **** boxes.

Hendrick and Childress cars were definitely better though. Roush never really became a powerhouse team until the mid-2000s. Plus, as @Ford 222 noted, the manufacturer politics of the time were ugly. Anytime Chevy teams complained, NASCAR made concessions to them.

That went on well into the late-2000s, when NASCAR penalized ALL Toyota teams in the Xfinity Series for Kyle Busch's dominance - and it didn't slow Kyle Busch down one bit.

I'd compare Mark Martin and Roush to Kevin Harvick and Childress (and Harvick at SHR now). Drivers who were so good that they elevated the entire team's profile.

Hendrick and Childress cars were definitely better. Plus, as @Ford 222 noted, the manufacturer politics of the time were ugly. Anytime Chevy complained, NASCAR made concessions to them.

I can’t get the narrative around RCR straight. I have seen people claim that Dale drove **** boxes, held RCR together, and that he would’ve been better off leaving for RYR.

I mean, Mark Martin has been screwed out of so many wins and even a championship by NASCAR, and he's never once complained about it. NASCAR looked for reasons to screw him over, and has made many decisions involving Mark Martin that completely break precedent, or made decisions to benefit other drivers that broke all precedents at Mark Martin's expense.

They did Carl Edwards dirty throughout his career too. That caution at the end of the 2016 Miami race was probably the most egregious example.
One example of a win was the 1993 The Winston All Star Race. Mark had made his way to the front and caution came out. They did double file restarts for this race and on what should have been the final restart Dale jumped it. Not even a little bit but as flagrant as could be. Rule was if you jumped a restart you went to the back of the line. Not the 3 as per NASCAR because this was a non-points race. Just gotta wonder how Dale knew that but nobody else did so he got to restart where he did when he jumped it.
That was the BS Mark had to put up with and probably because NASCAR didn't like a guy like Roush coming in and being successful rather quickly.

I can’t get the narrative around RCR straight. I have seen people claim that Dale drove **** boxes, held RCR together, and that he would’ve been better off leaving for RYR.

If you look at the early 1990s, one of the main reasons Dale won championships was that his cars and engines were so much more reliable. That's not a hallmark of a ****box organization. Compare that to Penske, Rusty Wallace would either win the race or blow an engine, there was no in-between.

Mark Martin's main thing was consistency. He had three seasons where he busted off a ton of wins (1993, 1998, 2009). But for the most part, Mark Martin was a guy who won a couple races a year, but always found a way to run up front and contend for championships. Every single year. He also didn't have a lot of DNFs because, unlike guys like Larson and Chastain, Mark Martin took what his car could give him.

Back in the 90s, attrition was a much bigger factor than in the races of today.

Roush's cars weren't ****boxes. But Mark Martin was always better than Jeff Burton and whoever was in the 16 car, whether it was Musgrave, Dallenbach, Lepage, or someone else.

One example of a win was the 1993 The Winston All Star Race. Mark had made his way to the front and caution came out. They did double file restarts for this race and on what should have been the final restart Dale jumped it. Not even a little bit but as flagrant as could be. Rule was if you jumped a restart you went to the back of the line. Not the 3 as per NASCAR because this was a non-points race. Just gotta wonder how Dale knew that but nobody else did so he got to restart where he did when he jumped it.
That was the BS Mark had to put up with and probably because NASCAR didn't like a guy like Roush coming in and being successful rather quickly.

You can look back to the fall of 1990 at the same track to see an example of the special rules package Dale Earnhardt got to race under. Forget the Richmond penalty that only happened because of Kirk Shelmerdine's complaining (a penalty that, to this day, most feel was not warranted). You can make the argument, and it be credible, that Dale's team getting to run out on the track to change his tire ultimately won him the championship. The amount of ground he would've lost otherwise would've been a difference maker.

The 2007 Daytona 500 ... they STILL throw that ****** caution 200 yards from the checkered flag to this day. Hell, they threw that same damn caution in the same race a year prior. And in the fall race at Talladega. And in countless races before and since. But not that one. 😡😡😡😡😡😡

You can look back to the fall of 1990 at the same track to see an example of the special rules package Dale Earnhardt got to race under. Forget the Richmond penalty that only happened because of Kirk Shelmerdine's complaining (a penalty that, to this day, most feel was not warranted). You can make the argument, and it be credible, that Dale's team getting to run out on the track to change his tire ultimately won him the championship. The amount of ground he would've lost otherwise would've been a difference maker.
I was going to mention that one too.....a joke how NASCAR sucked up to the 3 team.

Yes I did. He said it in the winners circle, he bitched the car, didn't say **** about the team, just the car.

We've got some revisionist history going on here...these are the facts:
1997...Martin was 3rd in the points, Burton 4th
1998...Martin 2nd, Burton 5th
1999...Martin 3rd, Burton 5th
2000...Martin 8th, Burton 3rd
2001...Martin 12th, Burton 10th, Kenseth 13th
2002...Martin 2nd, Busch 3rd, Kenseth 8th
2003...Martin 17th, Burton 12th, Busch 11th, Kenseth 1st

To think Martin carried that team and everyone else on the team sucked, is ridiculous

And from 2004 onward, a teammate finished above him in the standings

We've got some revisionist history going on here...these are the facts:
1997...Martin was 3rd in the points, Burton 4th
1998...Martin 2nd, Burton 5th
1999...Martin 3rd, Burton 5th
2000...Martin 8th, Burton 3rd
2001...Martin 12th, Burton 10th, Kenseth 13th
2002...Martin 2nd, Busch 3rd, Kenseth 8th
2003...Martin 17th, Burton 12th, Busch 11th, Kenseth 1st

To think Martin carried that team and everyone else on the team sucked, is ridiculous

And from 2004 onward, a teammate finished above him in the standings
Nobody said all his teammates sucked. But he was more successful than all of them other than Kenseth and Busch winning titles (still arguably more successful than Busch while at Roush). And it seemed Roush used him to groom crew chiefs so consistency was an issue there IMO.

But Mark is in this conversation in comparison to Denny. Both very successful and talented. One with class, the other a dickhead.

1990 Winston Cup Champ

IMG_3905.jpeg

Your pretty smart then. Cause he bitched the car out after winning the race, not his team or crew just the car.
You have such a vivid memory of it you should be able to at least recall the track this alleged diatribe occurred?
No? Figures....

Nothing alleged about it, he said it. We all know Mark was a cry baby a lot. One heck of a driver but bitched and whined way to much.
🤣 LOL!! His only "whining" was taking part in the ongoing politics at the time between NASCAR and the manufacturers. They all whined about the other having the advantage. You're obviously TRYING to be absurd so go ahead, take the last moronic word....:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
Another Top 5....LFG......

50 points up. Hello Round of 8....with three Hamlin tracks. LFG. I feel like winning Vegas is crucial to give the team a couple of weeks to work the Phoenix car.

Shut the hell up Jeffy. Go Denny! God, how do you Felon Fans stomach this bull****?

Shut the hell up Jeffy. Go Denny! God, how do you Felon Fans stomach this bull****?
It doesn’t come from the driver.

Jeffy shoots his mouth off about his drivers....Half of his team ****** themselves by exercising their entitled rights to their free time. Yeah, Jeffy, you got this.

I would say this is why Hendrick doesn't have sponsor problems, compared to the problems the Preacher and his asylum has.

By winning championships.

Hambone is a narcissistic POS. I actually think his embrace of the “villain“ is just being more honestly himself, while embracing the suck that is his persona.
Yes, I think he is being himself finally, and I love it.

I would say this is why Hendrick doesn't have sponsor problems, compared to the problems the Preacher and his asylum has.
Yeah, but they have problems keeping their drivers on the track. Duh. Cutie Pie Bowman and Chasey completely ****** their seasons....and Larson's primary has a familiar name doesn't it? I don't see problems with JGR sponsors....I see a greedy driver who lost his truck team, took a pay cut, and got himself an extra round compared last year. A round of applause for being nothing more than what he has been the last few years....sans the a**hole persona because, you know. the resurrection narrative. Jeffy--much like the Felon--should mind his own business, but he just can't help himself.

Back
Top Bottom