Diversity....what happened in NASCAR?

If you have any doubt that the women get treated differently, go find the interview with Ricky Rudd where he talks about relief driving for Janet Guthrie. He said the other drivers thought Janet was still in the car and raced him MUCH HARDER than they did when Ricky was driving his own car in a similar position. We're talking about backmarkers multiple laps down still racing "her" like it's for the win. I know from my own personal experience in local short track racing and in ARCA, the vast majority of the male drivers were flat out dismissive of any female competitors, if not outright hostile, even the guys that had not accomplished any more than the female drivers had. Deborah Renshaw was vilified and made a scapegoat for a fatal accident that would have been nothing more than a "tragic accident" if it had been a male driver.

The wife-beating Unser brothers, Robert and Albert, did everything they could to “welcome” Janet Guthrie to the male-dominated world of big time auto racing.

Professional misogynists. There are still lots of those around.

There is no doubt in my mind that some of the male crew guys can make it harder on some of the female crew persons in racing because I have seen it myself. Some of the women bring it on themselves but some don't. I'm sure that some females are being overlooked for a position on a team just so there would be no chemistry backlash. Anyone that thinks it isn't harder for women then it is for men in racing has their head in the sand imo. That being said, sometimes being a female may have an advantage over a male.

If you have any doubt that the women get treated differently, go find the interview with Ricky Rudd where he talks about relief driving for Janet Guthrie. He said the other drivers thought Janet was still in the car and raced him MUCH HARDER than they did when Ricky was driving his own car in a similar position. We're talking about backmarkers multiple laps down still racing "her" like it's for the win. I know from my own personal experience in local short track racing and in ARCA, the vast majority of the male drivers were flat out dismissive of any female competitors, if not outright hostile, even the guys that had not accomplished any more than the female drivers had. Deborah Renshaw was vilified and made a scapegoat for a fatal accident that would have been nothing more than a "tragic accident" if it had been a male driver.

QFT.

Poor Danica girl still had no top 5s in a SHR car.

Reactions: sdj
I am curious, how many rhetorical Danka threads are there here at RF? (waaaaaayyyy tooooo many already) Now this has turned into another one.:wacko: (to each his own I guess)

Baby smoking.gif

I am curious, how many rhetorical Danka threads are there here at RF? (waaaaaayyyy tooooo many already) Now this has turned into another one.:wacko: (to each his own I guess)

View attachment 42524

Well to be honest, if we are talking about diversity in modern NASCAR, it would be pretty hard for her NOT to be part of the conversation. Actual real life is worth more than mindless speculation.

To me this whole diversity thing is a farce. Governments telling companies (here in Canada anyway) how many of this race and sex they should hire is not right. Let the best person have the job regardless

Article from 5 years ago. She went to Europe to learn her craft. That was basically a failure. Guys did what guys do. Made her life miserable. Not just on the track either. She came home and talked her way into a ride with Bobby Rahal. He's not a complete fool. She had the Indy 500 won in 2005 but her team was concerned about running out of fuel so pitted. They screwed up. She had enough to finish. Her finish record at Indy alone convinces me she's a baller. ONE wall contact at Indy and that was in a cobbled together ride.

Yup, I remember when it came out. I don't know if anyone can "win" either side of the diversity argument -- just too much baggage to carry into the discussion, and too much garbage heaped upon it as the debate unfolds. I'm glad she voiced her opinion.

Article from 5 years ago. She went to Europe to learn her craft. That was basically a failure. Guys did what guys do. Made her life miserable. Not just on the track either. She came home and talked her way into a ride with Bobby Rahal. He's not a complete fool. She had the Indy 500 won in 2005 but her team was concerned about running out of fuel so pitted. They screwed up. She had enough to finish. Her finish record at Indy alone convinces me she's a baller. ONE wall contact at Indy and that was in a cobbled together ride.

Danica made a habit out of not being real likeable or worthy of sympathy at times, and I believe no matter what happens in your life, you alone are responsible for your actions. BUT, I also think there are often legitimate reasons why people are who they are, and I think that the Graham Bensinger interview gives you a little insight into that. I think her experience in Europe scarred her pretty good, and I think her ex-husband did a real number on her. I find it curious that she seemingly couldn't even bring herself to say his name or say "my husband". That part of her story sounds remarkably similar to Jeff Gordon's version of his life with Brooke towards the end.

Danica made a habit out of not being real likeable or worthy of sympathy at times, and I believe no matter what happens in your life, you alone are responsible for your actions. BUT, I also think there are often legitimate reasons why people are who they are, and I think that the Graham Bensinger interview gives you a little insight into that. I think her experience in Europe scarred her pretty good, and I think her ex-husband did a real number on her. I find it curious that she seemingly couldn't even bring herself to say his name or say "my husband". That part of her story sounds remarkably similar to Jeff Gordon's version of his life with Brooke towards the end.
For those who's heads are about to explode, don't take the above as an excuse but as a reasonable explanation. Was she a great driver. No. By anyone's measuring stick and in NASCAR, probably below average. But she had ZERO experience in fendered cars. NONE on dirt so couldn't drive a loose car. I rooted like heck for her to just get a consistent top 10 run going. But she couldn't do it. I hope Deegan makes it to the big show in about 5 years but doubt she will. I'm afraid we have much more serious concerns than who/if there will be racing by then.

I’ve been a Patrick fan since her Formula Ford days in Great Britain.

One day in particular ... in 2000, she started 10th and finished 2nd in The Festival, the annual big deal event for FF racers everywhere.

I saw that indy 500.
My dad said if she wins Im gonna shut that TV off.

hate like this exists. not for her as a personality but her gender

Her Indy career aside -- I saw Danica as an Open-wheeler in NASCAR. Way too much fanfare and vaulted expectation for her entry.

JPM, Hornish, and Danica were interesting to watch develop and hit their limits.

OTOH, Tony Stewart figured it out in grinding out performance in NASCAR, and I hold him in high esteem for his ability to do so. If only he won the Daytona 500...

One could move to Cuba.

I'm told everyone has the same opportunities there.

I guess the poor folks who are brilliant dont deserve the same opportunities.
Sad.
Some opportunities are gifted, most are earned. Nobody got anywhere wallowing in their own envy.

Your assumption that people of low income do not have the drive or will to positively change their family tree is ignorant. It happens every day, as does the destruction of generations of hard work by a single spoiled trust fund baby.

Just as Kyle Busch said. “Challenges in life are inevitable. Being defeated is optional.”

Some opportunities are gifted, most are earned. Nobody got anywhere wallowing in their own envy.

Your assumption that people of low income do not have the drive or will to positively change their family tree is ignorant. It happens every day, as does the destruction of generations of hard work by a single spoiled trust fund baby.

Just as Kyle Busch said. “Challenges in life are inevitable. Being defeated is optional.”

LOL. you tell me how the child of a drug addicted mom/dad living in a drug infested neighborhood is to break out.
its not ignorant to realize some situations cannot be overcome without help. Its ignorant to assume that no possibility exists to take opportunity away from someone gifted.

LOL. you tell me how the child of a drug addicted mom/dad living in a drug infested neighborhood is to break out.
its not ignorant to realize some situations cannot be overcome without help. Its ignorant to assume that no possibility exists to take opportunity away from someone gifted.
You chose an extreme minority case to exemplify but I’ll give you the answer.

Most children born into that negative of a situation that get out will usually get involved in the street life, get arrested at-least once, experience a traumatic event that wakes them up and finally join the military to join a cause bigger than themselves.

You chose an extreme minority case to exemplify but I’ll give you the answer.

Most children born into that negative of a situation that get out will usually get involved in the street life, get arrested at-least once, experience a traumatic event that wakes them up and finally join the military to join a cause bigger than themselves.
or they die in a hail of bullets.....

NASCARs diversity helps in this area. No one deserves to die like that. your callous response says alot
I fail to see where my comment suggests that someone deserves to die in any fashion. People die in gun fights over drugs, its a reality. NASCAR is doing what to prevent that? This conversation has strayed far beyond the DFD.

I fail to see where my comment suggests that someone deserves to die in any fashion. People die in gun fights over drugs, its a reality. NASCAR is doing what to prevent that? This conversation has strayed far beyond the DFD.

dang it, I was waiting for my time when it got around to saving the whales

Back
Top Bottom