DIY Projects

That is quite the deck. And it has a nice view of the woods.
The only thing missing is a shooting house. There's gotta be some big bucks eating that lush grass. But the neighbors on the other side of the woods wouldn't be too happy. :D

Well, another 4 hours of the wife and I staining this afternoon. I finally finished all the work from the ladder. Weather permitting, after work tomorrow we will be staining the top two tiers of the deck. That still leaves countless spindles, the bottom deck and stairway onto the decks to finish. Going to work on it over the next two evening then it's off for some R&R by the way of RVing this short weekend.

I'm anxious to get the stain down on the top two tiers so that I can get the barrels sat out there. I'd like to get the wire hung for the light setup by the end of next week.

That is quite the deck. And it has a nice view of the woods.
Yeah, it's nice to relax out there in the evenings. The deck is on the east side of the house allowing us to sit out there in the early evenings without direct sunlight. Those woods, not sure if you can tell from the pic, are climbing a rather steep hill. It goes up for 300 yards or so before opening up to a large field at the top. Like @Johali say's..... it's a great place to hunt. There's a creek at the bottom of it where deer cross all the time. They have a pretty good path crossing through there.

Got the top two decks stained yesterday afternoon/evening. Still a ton of spindles and the lower deck to complete but progress is being made. Going to take some pics this afternoon if I get the chance. 7 gallons deep into this project so far.

Got the top two decks stained yesterday afternoon/evening. Still a ton of spindles and the lower deck to complete but progress is being made. Going to take some pics this afternoon if I get the chance. 7 gallons deep into this project so far.
7 gallons? Good lord.
Is this a stain with a water seal?

Top to decks finished with the exception of some if the spindles. Taking a couple days off now for some fun.

f9a8cef6ba525bbc5210040458b13fe7.jpg

Thanks, we're about halfway through this project. Some more staining to do to the lower level pool deck and then lights to install.
What brand of stain/sealer are you using if you don't mind me asking?
I'm building a new side gate and I bought Thompson's stain and sealer. I've never used it before. I always used Olympic.
The deck looks awesome.

That deck is beautiful and the projects are coming along nicely. Very nice property.
Unlike you and Bobbyford, I never did home projects until I was in my early sixties. Prior to that had so many other things going in business ventures I was always worn out by the end of the day. When I started renovating, roughly ten years after we retired, took on two house before relocating to Florida and started renovating the place we live now. After doing everything we wanted here, stripped the master bath to studs and went from there from start to finish then had the hall bath yet to do. Simply got tired and hired someone else to do it. The guy charged $1400.00 and his price included labor from start down to studs, to finish, when he even painted the bathroom where required to finish the job. We bought all supplies and it was still what I feel was a bargain.

I admire and give kudos to those who have been doing these home projects. You have all done some special and very nice work.

Please keep sending photos of your projects. They are very interesting and amazing to view the talent, imagination and ideas - like the whiskey half barrels - so many have.

Thank you for sharing!!!

I gotta admit, I don't like this Thompson's crap. It's more like a plastic coating than it is a penetrant sealer. I won't use this junk again on anything.

In the same vein .... Lego accepts submissions from Master Builders at large for creating the next sets. One submission that was accepted was a Saturn V rocket standing about 3' tall. Apparently pre-sales have surpassed the initial run production quantity. Well from the same guys that put forth the Saturn V, there is now on submission and up for votes ... the launch gantry assembly. https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4
Currently at 733, it needs 10,000 votes to move up to actual consideration to become a set. Naturally, the mass of votes is one of the sway criteria for the selection committee, as is complexity, number of parts and cost.

What brand of stain/sealer are you using if you don't mind me asking?
I'm building a new side gate and I bought Thompson's stain and sealer. I've never used it before. I always used Olympic.
The deck looks awesome.
Behr Stain from Home Depot. My wife just told me this morning that they are having some sort of 4th of July sale with instant rebates. I think $50 on a five gallon bucket or $10 on a gallon.

I gotta admit, I don't like this Thompson's crap. It's more like a plastic coating than it is a penetrant sealer. I won't use this junk again on anything.
I just used the Thompson's on some barrels that I'm working on. I used to use it on my old deck. Had some left over.

Set the barrels for the Texas Lamp Posts out on the deck today. Hardware for installing the posts is already cut to fit sitting inside each barrel. Taking some R & R over the next week and then I'll finish the light project.

8d52222169c5212653d8750151fe6e79.jpg
53f37a86185cbcc7154aca0958651862.jpg

Got a little time in this morning with the deck lighting project. Rain came once again grinding things to a halt.

Installed the 4x4's in the barrels. Anchors in the 4x4's and house. Wire used to support the lights.
381274d3d69e2baf14b9da2f2a760384.jpg
95af4d8b12d19847f45bbd990b7a66c2.jpg
c969cc2ce3a0eb8daca1889db2f1ad05.jpg
c68290a89e5444106c701896b23b279b.jpg
57f914c3b03e6731eee0f7f4219a37b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Still have to load the barrels with stone and potting soil. Also, stain the 4x4's

Got the lights strung. Had to put a cinder block in each of the barrels as counterweight until I can purchase the stone. Couldn't get a night pic due to more rain.
9c5fd6fab8268487cf9f4fd5abee9c14.jpg

Are those barrel sitting directly on the deck? Rain water will eventually drain out and without air circulating underneath could cause the deck boards starting to rot .

Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom