Dodge?

I'll buy DeWalt only if that's the last tie-breaking criteria. Otherwise, I buy whatever offers the features I want for the least money. I'm sure not going to ditch any tools and buy new ones just because Matt switches to a Craftsman sponsorship.

I had to replace a cordless drill last month. I wound up with a B&D. I didn't need the power of a 1/2", certainly didn't need to pay the difference between a 1/2" and a 3/8", and Lowe's and HD didn't carry a 3/8" DeWalt. Also, the B&D used the same battery and recharger as a weed whacker I already owned.

Please tell me you're joking, and that what a race car driver sits in doesn't play a major role in your auto buying decisions.

....so BD is the same company as dewalt soooooo haha

Back in the day it was win on Sunday,sell on Monday.Now NASCAR is so far away from stock cars,the only thing is the decals on them.Of all my friends who have purchased a car in the last few years,no one has bought one because of what's winning in NASCAR.I just don't see a benefit for Dodge jumping back in a sport on a downhill slide with the current leadership.

My original point still stands. Sponsorship is my final criteria when making purchases. I factor it in last when making a $75 hardware purchase. I don't consider it at all when spending tens of thousands on a car.

But do you have preference towards Dewalt given your choice of driver? If you see basically identical product for basically the identical price would you buy the dewalt or the Y brand? Because even though its on larger scale, if your buying a car you're going to buy a car. So therefore if your driver is a Ford driver and thats who can root for don't you think its human nature to prefer that make? In my case given thats the better investment thats what I'd do.

But do you have preference towards Dewalt given your choice of driver? If you see basically identical product for basically the identical price would you buy the dewalt or the Y brand? Because even though its on larger scale, if your buying a car you're going to buy a car. So therefore if your driver is a Ford driver and thats who can root for don't you think its human nature to prefer that make? In my case given thats the better investment thats what I'd do.
As I noted twice, if all other of my criteria are equal, then I'll buy the sponsored product. Only then. I don't think it's human nature to prefer a sponsored product; I think it's marketing influence. Neither one should factor into decisions regarding investments. Then again, few new cars are a good 'investments', and that very short list probably doesn't include anything running in a NASCAR series.

My driver WAS in a Ford. Based on my previous experiences with two Fords, I wouldn't test drive another one, then or now. Consumer Reports reviews are the first tool I'll reach for when I go car shopping in a couple of years. Last time I checked, I recall Ford and Chevy didn't crack the top 10 in mid-sized sedans. I could be remembering incorrectly, since I wasn't in the market and didn't pay much attention. A couple of Toyotas were, but there are several other criteria that would have to be equal before Toyota's sponsorship will come into play over Honda or Hyundai (the others in the top 10 I can recall). My wife isn't a NASCAR fan at all, so there's 50% of the test drivers (second criteria) who don't care what model Matt drives (assuming he's still racing when I'm shopping).

As I noted twice, if all other of my criteria are equal, then I'll buy the sponsored product. Only then. I don't think it's human nature to prefer a sponsored product; I think it's marketing influence. Neither one should factor into decisions regarding investments. Then again, few new cars are a good 'investments', and that very short list probably doesn't include anything running in a NASCAR series.

My driver WAS in a Ford. Based on my previous experiences with two Fords, I wouldn't test drive another one, then or now. Consumer Reports reviews are the first tool I'll reach for when I go car shopping in a couple of years. Last time I checked, I recall Ford and Chevy didn't crack the top 10 in mid-sized sedans. I could be remembering incorrectly, since I wasn't in the market and didn't pay much attention. A couple of Toyotas were, but there are several other criteria that would have to be equal before Toyota's sponsorship will come into play over Honda or Hyundai (the others in the top 10 I can recall). My wife isn't a NASCAR fan at all, so there's 50% of the test drivers (second criteria) who don't care what model Matt drives (assuming he's still racing when I'm shopping).

Blah blah blah stats...your have to go with your feelings....

Haha jk anyway I work at a auto repair facility and we see all makes and models and almost all put out good products but some particular autos have more problems than others in certain areas....some have gotten better and some worse.

There are some Fords I would not touch with a ten foot poll either but some I would a but over and over again.That goes for any of the makes. Anyway my/wifes daily drivers are a Ford and a Toyota so its mot like im biased here.

Long story short I would buy something to support the marketing of my driver/team/brand over another option if it made sense economically.

I said awhile back that I thought RCR was prime for the Dodge switch and I still feel that way.

They are the only non-Hendrick Chevy engine builders now and they are always going to play second fiddle to HMS as far as factory support goes. The performance hasn't been there (they haven't won since Harvick left) and they have no reason to be a nobody Chevy team when they can be top dog for somebody else.

Most important point is that they actually do still build their own engines. That is obviously super rare these days, so if you're Dodge and you need an "in" then you need that engine shop. RCR has the resources. That's why it'll be RCR and not Ganassi. Ganassi ditched the Earnhardt-Childress engines a few years ago and leases from HMS like the rest of them. He wants nothing to do with engines.

I remember Andretti putting out feelers a few years ago. Anybody remember what manufacturer was mentioned, if any?

Any talk about new teams has to consider if / where the charters will come from.
Andretti did more than put out feelers, Kurt was signed, sealed and delivered to drive dodge for him in 2014 until it all fell apart at the last possible second. I will take Sergio at his word and say he pulled the plug but there are many versions of the tale.

Thanks for sharing. So this is still in the "if" stage not the "when" stage then? I guess all this speculation could be for not.
It could seem that way, but I was told that it's not an if, but when, I think, and this is me just guessing, is that FCA is getting all their ducks in a row if you will to see what they will have to work with before they make the final decision to return instead of returning without having anything to in place.

I said awhile back that I thought RCR was prime for the Dodge switch and I still feel that way.

They are the only non-Hendrick Chevy engine builders now and they are always going to play second fiddle to HMS as far as factory support goes. The performance hasn't been there (they haven't won since Harvick left) and they have no reason to be a nobody Chevy team when they can be top dog for somebody else.

Most important point is that they actually do still build their own engines. That is obviously super rare these days, so if you're Dodge and you need an "in" then you need that engine shop. RCR has the resources. That's why it'll be RCR and not Ganassi. Ganassi ditched the Earnhardt-Childress engines a few years ago and leases from HMS like the rest of them. He wants nothing to do with engines.
As of last month RCR has no plans to switch to Dodge , not my words, RCR is happy being the number 2 Chevy team and is just as loyal to Chevy as Rick is to Chevy, so I would not hold your breathe on seeing the #3 on a Dodge

Of course, anything can happen, but as of now, that is not going to.

As of last month RCR has no plans to switch to Dodge , not my words, RCR is happy being the number 2 Chevy team and is just as loyal to Chevy as Rick is to Chevy, so I would not hold your breathe on seeing the #3 on a Dodge

Of course, anything can happen, but as of now, that is not going to.

Interesting. I don't see who that leaves on the table other than Ganassi then.

I dont know how much truth is with this one, but SHR was the one that started the talks with Ford, they were not that happy with the support they were getting from HMS.

What the hell, this is what I got.

Dodge is currently say within a half of year a out from a making a final decision on their returning, I asked how soon if they do and as a guess, 2018, but that was just a guess from my source. I not going to name the team that will be lead Dodge team right this moment, but I will narrow it down for you , it wont be a Ford or Toyota switching , and its not a new team, this team will be also be doing the engine program for Dodge, with 100% support from FCA.

I ran this by our resident insider last month and just waiting on him to see if he can confirm any of it, not that I dont trust my source.

And the two grandsons will be the drivers. hint hint

My own personal take I think Gene has more to do with SHR than Tony does when it comes to the business side.

I don't think this was ever in question, honestly. Gene is a billionaire businessman, he knows business better than Tony. But Tony has the soul and the know-how and the experience to make shop decisions and run the equipment side of it. I mean I could be way wrong, but that's how I've always imagined it being.

I don't think this was ever in question, honestly. Gene is a billionaire businessman, he knows business better than Tony. But Tony has the soul and the know-how and the experience to make shop decisions and run the equipment side of it. I mean I could be way wrong, but that's how I've always imagined it being.

I can agree with that except Tony hired his friends instead of the best man for the job.

You said he hired friends instead of the right people for the job, and then clarified by using Greg Zippadeli as an example, telling us that you think Zippy was hired due to friendship and not his actual abilities, no?

Yup, that is my opinion about Zippy. As a combination driver / CC at Gibbs they had success but struggled in the hot months. That could be the driver and not the car. When he first raced at SHR his first CC lasted one season.
I would like to mention also that SHR really hasn't had the success they should have had in my opinion. I give credit for the #4 car to the CC/driver and NOT to anything Zippy has done. The #41 IMO should have done better and the #10 car is a complete failure.

You can't deny Zippy was more friend that Manager.

Yup, that is my opinion about Zippy. As a combination driver / CC at Gibbs they had success but struggled in the hot months. That could be the driver and not the car. When he first raced at SHR his first CC lasted one season.
I would like to mention also that SHR really hasn't had the success they should have had in my opinion. I give credit for the #4 car to the CC/driver and NOT to anything Zippy has done. The #41 IMO should have done better and the #10 car is a complete failure.

You can't deny Zippy was more friend that Manager.

Tony has a reputation for doing well in the hot months, not the opposite.

Whatever, we disagree is all I can say.

Check Tony's wins and I think you may change your mind.
However, difference of opinion is what makes the forum interesting. I have learned a lot
by reading others posts and in some cases I have changed my mind about what I thought.
You sir are one I like to read.

Until now, there hasn’t been much news about the possible reconciliation, until now: Monday morning, during the main press day of the North American International Auto Show, NASCAR and Dodge executives had a private meeting. Among those present was NASCAR President Mike Helton (in the photo), and Tim Kuniskis, whose title is Head of Passenger Car Brands, which includes Dodge.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/6886/exclusive-dodge-execs-meet-with-nascar-execs

However, difference of opinion is what makes the forum interesting. I have learned a lot
by reading others posts and in some cases I have changed my mind about what I thought.
In our fantasy league, it was a guiding principle that you never started Tony before June.

My scan of Racing Reference looks like only 5 of Tony's 49 wins came before Memorial Day, only one of those five coming after 2009. I don't know when you define the weather as getting hot, but that's my usual measure.

Thank you my friend. I agree that the back and forth keeps things entertaining around here.

Zippy is the reason the 10 is slow? Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom