Dodge?

Dodge does have the customer demographic that Nascar is in desperate need of.I am not sure that will translate into new Nascar fans though without major changes,less WWE moments.

I am convinced that it is going to happen this time. They are coming back. But I will say it was virtually a done deal for 2014 with Andretti and RPM until at the last second it wasn't. So I am not going to uncross my fingers until I see Sergio, Chip, and the King on a stage making announcements.

I am convinced that it is going to happen this time. They are coming back. But I will say it was virtually a done deal for 2014 with Andretti and RPM until at the last second it wasn't. So I am not going to uncross my fingers until I see Sergio, Chip, and the King on a stage making announcements.
It makes sense though. RPM and Ganassi both need to be higher on the manufacturer pecking order. A return to Dodge would let them both achieve that, especially if Dodge (Fiat) is smart and follows the model laid out by Toyota and now Ford, by consolidating efforts between their teams to the benefit of all of them.

It makes sense though. RPM and Ganassi both need to be higher on the manufacturer pecking order. A return to Dodge would let them both achieve that, especially if Dodge (Fiat) is smart and follows the model laid out by Toyota and now Ford, by consolidating efforts between their teams to the benefit of all of them.
If they're seriously going to follow Toyota's approach, they'll get their act together in Trucks before entering the big show.

Let's stop calling it the "Toyota approach" because all Toyota did was follow the original Dodge blueprint. Think back 21 years ago. Dodge goes to Petty and asks him to run a truck, he agreed. Originally the hope was to get Harry Gant to wheel it for a few seasons until Adam was ready for it. Gant turns him down and Rich Bickle is hired. Petty quips, "A truck is all well and good, but when are you guys gonna build me a car? By the way, the truck is under the RPM banner as to not effect the GM partnership with Petty Enterprises. Richard actually played a role in suggesting Ray according to insiders. Ray Evernham is hired in 1998 and the ball rolling. As a show of good faith, Ray actually works at PE laying the groundwork for what was to be Dodge's superteam Evernham Motorsports and PE.They were going to be two separate teams with a tech alliance and Ray was hoping to do for Adam what he did for Jeff Gordon. Adam was fast-tracked to Busch Series after showing promise in ASA and ARCA. The engine shop was to have been the diamond of the deal. It was to have been built on the Petty property and every engine for every factory-backed Dodge was to have come out of it no matter the series.

Let's stop calling it the "Toyota approach" because all Toyota did was follow the original Dodge blueprint. Think back 21 years ago. Dodge goes to Petty and asks him to run a truck, he agreed. Originally the hope was to get Harry Gant to wheel it for a few seasons until Adam was ready for it. Gant turns him down and Rich Bickle is hired. Petty quips, "A truck is all well and good, but when are you guys gonna build me a car? By the way, the truck is under the RPM banner as to not effect the GM partnership with Petty Enterprises. Richard actually played a role in suggesting Ray according to insiders. Ray Evernham is hired in 1998 and the ball rolling. As a show of good faith, Ray actually works at PE laying the groundwork for what was to be Dodge's superteam Evernham Motorsports and PE.They were going to be two separate teams with a tech alliance and Ray was hoping to do for Adam what he did for Jeff Gordon. Adam was fast-tracked to Busch Series after showing promise in ASA and ARCA. The engine shop was to have been the diamond of the deal. It was to have been built on the Petty property and every engine for every factory-backed Dodge was to have come out of it no matter the series.
I'm too young to know/remember any of that stuff. That's cool to know though! What coulda been with Adam Petty.

Who is going to make engines for Dodge? They surely are not going to make their own, as that would only happen in a stock car series.

The "Toyota Approach" is a success so we'll prolly keep calling it that.

Not to hijack the thread, but fairness dictates me to say that unless the car comes from JGR or is related to JGR in some way all Toyota is known for at the cup level is two cheating scandals.

Not to hijack the thread, but fairness dictates me to say that unless the car comes from JGR or is related to JGR in some way all Toyota is known for at the cup level is two cheating scandals.
Both by the same team. It no longer exists, and I think that says more about the team than about Toyota.

Your fairness is hidden by several coats of Petty Blue paint. Or is that a wrap?

JGR runs under the Toyota banner. You have no point to make.

Your fairness is hidden by several coats of Petty Blue paint. Or is that a wrap?

JGR runs under the Toyota banner. You have no point to make.
I will not deny my blood runs three shades of blue. Braves, Cowboys, and all things Petty.

CGR will be Dodge's engine builder per my source at FCA.
Very interesting. Does that make the task much more difficult or is there enough expertise in the marketplace?

I recall Roger Penske's reluctance to close his engine shop when he switched to Ford because once you lose the human capital, it's difficult to get it back.

Fiat, of course.
LOL......... That must be a tongue in cheek joke.... Fiat building an engine!!! They own Iveco..... they don't have the smarts to build an engine for Nascar..... they would have buy a company to do it..... wait!!!!!!!!! They bought Chrysler..... or.... Daimler Benz or Dodge..... or whatever it was...... at any rate..... I think they are too tight with their money to ever invest what it takes to be competitive.....

Llmor has supplied the engines for those zombie Dodges in Xfinity for the last five years. That's why Penske never closed shop.
Is Ilmor Engineering building engines for backmarkers in the B Main now?

That seems odd.

I thought it odd too. It's been 5 yrs they couldn't have been using old stock say after 2014. The excuse just didn't wash in 2016. So I did some asking around and there has been a trickle of backdoor off the books support. Last year there was a rumor that the teams were using Ford engines asked around again and was told that was false. Could be part of why this return story grew legs so fast.

Highly suspect.

Ilmor has an ARCA engine program .. based on the GM LS series. Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet badged cars use it.

Let's stop calling it the "Toyota approach" because all Toyota did was follow the original Dodge blueprint.

Cite your source....and I think that the "Toyota approach" refers to the way in which Toyota entered, supports it teams, and stays in the sport.

Does JGR build their own chassis or do they have them shipped in from TRD's facility in Cali?

The facility in Costa Mesa has nothing to do with the chassis--they are motor. The Salisbury facility under the direction of Nelson Cosgrove is the chassis support facility. Salisbury built chassis for Mikey in the early days, but then Mikey went out on his own...kind of. Although JGR build their own chassis, TRD is heavily involved.

Yeah, okay.

You mean like Toyota doesn't make their own?

TRD is the builder for Toyota. Race Engines Plus (Joey Arrington) builds BK motors, and Triad does a team here or there.

Maybe, but the NASCAR media fawns all over them about how they are the current gold standard when in truth without Gibbs they are nothing.

You must have skipped the 2 win season of 2014. Media fawning was not present. What is Chevy without Hendrick BTW? Childress. Good answer. How many wins in the last two seasons?

It took everything to get JGR to come to Toyota, and it was a hell of a gamble on their part. The pressure of 2013 blowing motors, and 2014 of being slow was immense pressure placed squarely on the shoulders of TRD--perhaps unfairly. That the relationship endured is a miracle but testimony to the integrity of Coach, JD, Lee White, and David Wilson. It is a great story, and not the slam dunk you describe. Would also be important to note that the original idea was that JGR would be to Toyota what Hendrick is to Chevy. Didn't work out. JGR had reliability problems in 2011, and came to TRD for help. In fact, after Fontana of that year, Joey's blown JGR built Toyota motor was trucked to Costa Mesa, Coach was put up in a hotel, and witnessed the autopsy the next day. It was at that point that the groundwork was laid for the TRD as the builder for JGR. Coach retained Mark Cronquist to build the Xfinity motors, and he still has input on the Cup motors I think.

Last edited:
Cite your source....and I think that the "Toyota approach" refers to the way in which Toyota entered, supports it teams, and stays in the sport.
You can't always cite sources or else you don't have them. I am not writing for a paper here. And I will still say w/o Gibbs Toyota has very little to show for ten years at the Cup level. Trucks give them credit they own it.

Back
Top Bottom