Due To Rich Toyota Supply Of Drivers, Busch Sends Warning To Gilliland To Pick Up Pace

You can even give a driver a GENTLE nudge in public, but this read like a complete dressing down. I could MAYBE see something like this if Todd had gone out and caused lots of wrecks, pulled stupid moves on the track or did something dumb off the track, but to rip a guy in public because he not quite up to the pace you think he should be is a little much. Just another indication that Kyle still hasn't matured as much as he likes to think he has.

Show me another owner that has said this in public. I don't care what Kyle says to him behind closed doors, but to put this out for public consumption, in these terms is a D*** move. The kid is 18 years old for God sake.

Though business run by tough guys, and we wax poetic about an 18 year old. If Mr. Gilliland feels disrespected, he is free to leave....or those who attend to him can remove him from the situation. This isn't kindergarten.

You can even give a driver a GENTLE nudge in public, but this read like a complete dressing down. I could MAYBE see something like this if Todd had gone out and caused lots of wrecks, pulled stupid moves on the track or did something dumb off the track, but to rip a guy in public because he not quite up to the pace you think he should be is a little much. Just another indication that Kyle still hasn't matured as much as he likes to think he has.

Anything out there about drivers who love to drive for Kyle? See Erik Jones and Chris Bell.....Gilliland Nation is growing I guess.

Rick Hendrick has dealt with LOTS of drivers, even fired a few including Kyle Busch. Ever hear him say a bad word in public about ANY of them? Same goes for Roger Penske, or dare I say it, Joe Gibbs? To keep the analogy a little more in Kyle's realm, how about Dale Jr?

Kyle doesn't want to be like them. That's why some of us like him. Coaches all over the sports landscape do this kind of thing all of the time. Some people applaud it, some rant. Big deal.

Let's get this straight -- IF Gilliland doesn't perform it could affect the quality of silver spoon KyBu can pass down. This is not only a business ($$$$$$$$) it is personal ($$$$$$$$). NASCAR is not a charity. KyBu needs to keep the $$$$$$$$ flowing or he might have to shutter his racing team like Kez did. JGR is the mothership but KyBu wants his business to succeed. NASCAR drivers are like Strippers -- they have to perform or their moving down to a lower series/stage.

How did I do defending KyBu? :D

Quick question.....Who do you like? You spend all of your time on the coattails of the Kyle rants, I really don't know who you like in this sport?

This is the problem with the current youth movement and NASCAR badly needs to step in and raise age limits. The notion that you have to be a seasoned veteran and practically Cup-ready when you're 18 is a problem.

I mean, we have 10-year-old kids racing full blown Late Model Stocks and Super Late Models now. We have "Jr. Late Models" popping up all over the country for 10-16 year-olds to race Late Models when they need to be running Bandoleros and Legends first.

The last youth movement this sport had, 25 was considered young.

This is going to be so destructive for the sport down the road.
Pretty much agree. It would be great if Christopher Bell can change this perception. I consider him a young gun and it looks like he will not be full time in Cup until he is at least 25, older than Elliott, Jones and Byron.

Pretty much agree. It would be great if Christopher Bell can change this perception. I consider him a young gun and it looks like he will not be full time in Cup until he is at least 25, older than Elliott, Jones and Byron.

I think that Chris Bell will be an interesting study. I was just thinking about this yesterday. He is ready now by today's standards, but circumstances are giving him an extra year in Xfinity. Let's see how this plays out when he gets to Cup. Should be interesting.

Anything out there about drivers who love to drive for Kyle? See Erik Jones and Chris Bell.....Gilliland Nation is growing I guess.
This isn't a question of Gilliland fandom. I'd think this was poor managerial move regardless of who was involved on either side of the transaction. It's just lousy management to bad mouth your employees in public. You can get away with it more when the talent pool is bigger than the number of openings, as in this case.

But Kyle's also on the other side of the equation. There are a lot more owners looking for sponsors these days than sponsors looking for teams to partner with. How employees are managed has an influence on the people signing the big checks. Go public too many times and sponsors will start to wonder why you keep picking ineffective drivers, and question if the problem might lie elsewhere.

This isn't a question of Gilliland fandom. I'd think this was poor managerial move regardless of who was involved on either side of the transaction. It's just lousy management to bad mouth your employees in public. You can get away with it more when the talent pool is bigger than the number of openings, as in this case.

But Kyle's also on the other side of the equation. There are a lot more owners looking for sponsors these days than sponsors looking for teams to partner with. How employees are managed has an influence on the people signing the big checks. Go public too many times and sponsors will start to wonder why you keep picking ineffective drivers, and question if the problem might lie elsewhere.

The sponsors may also not be a fan of being attached to someone who blast their employees out in public like this.

Kyle is the owner. He puts a lot of money into this series, sometimes at a loss. He fields the best trucks in the series and only had 1 win last season excluding his wins to show for it. He has the right to be upset about it, i’d be too.

Kyle is the owner. He puts a lot of money into this series, sometimes at a loss. He fields the best trucks in the series and only had 1 win last season excluding his wins to show for it. He has the right to be upset about it, i’d be too.

Again, why make it a big public matter? Keep it behind closed doors, and talk to the kid that way, let him know this. It's not mine or your business.

Kyle doesn't want to be like them. That's why some of us like him. Coaches all over the sports landscape do this kind of thing all of the time. Some people applaud it, some rant. Big deal.

Well, those people didn't get where they are by acting like spoiled brats. Kyle's in an insulated position because he is successful on the race track, so Joe and the Toyota people have to kind of deal with him with kid gloves. Some day, that will come to an end, and Kyle may find himself still wanting to be a car owner. We'll see then if his way of operating flies or not. Even a hard ass like Dale Earnhardt Sr. knew how to play the game, in fact he was one of the best at it. In an era where every thing you do and everything you say is seen and heard by everyone, and in a sport where you are SO dependent on sponsorship dollars, you have to learn how to have more of a filter on yourself if you want to be successful long term. As an Indiana boy in the 1970's, I grew up worshiping at the alter of one Bobby Knight. We loved it when Bobby would rant and rave and throw chairs and scream at players and officials, and we were mad as hell when he finally got fired. It took some time of honest reflection to realize that one, Bobby really WAS an a-hole 80% of the time, two, that the world had passed his way of doing business by, and three, that in the end, his antics probably cost him more championships than he won. Just some food for thought.

Glad Gragson excaped. Exactly, first year for Gilliland to run all of the tracks, 3rd at Daytona and 10th at Atlanta so far this year and he is doinking him? Burton has an 18th at Daytona and an 8th at Atlanta. WTF.
To be fair Burton was 18th at Daytona because David turned him head on into the wall on the backstretch.

Again, why make it a big public matter? Keep it behind closed doors, and talk to the kid that way, let him know this. It's not mine or your business.

He’s trying to light a fire under the kid. Jack Roush did the same thing to Ricky stenhouse and he responded with back to back Nationwide titles

Well, he proves JGR equipment can win.
KBM gets their support and equipment from JGR. KBM is a JGR satellite team in the same vein that Jr. Motorsports is a Hendrick satellite team.
So ... KBM truck teams use JGR equipment ... no wonder that team wins so often.

Interestingly, when KBM was fielding cars in the B Main and couldn't win a race that was all on Kyle's team ... couldn't build winning cars, etc., etc.

Confirmation bias rampant.

All the people in here with nothing invested in KBM telling KB how he should manage his drivers and his company is super funny. As someone who coaches different age groups, it is never a bad thing to use the negative to try and get someone going. Not everyone is motivated by a kick in the tail, but sometimes brutal honesty is needed. Keep in mind that this guy is more than likely 100 times more successful in life then all of us. I think he has an idea about what he is doing.

Well, those people didn't get where they are by acting like spoiled brats. Kyle's in an insulated position because he is successful on the race track, so Joe and the Toyota people have to kind of deal with him with kid gloves. Some day, that will come to an end, and Kyle may find himself still wanting to be a car owner. We'll see then if his way of operating flies or not. Even a hard ass like Dale Earnhardt Sr. knew how to play the game, in fact he was one of the best at it. In an era where every thing you do and everything you say is seen and heard by everyone, and in a sport where you are SO dependent on sponsorship dollars, you have to learn how to have more of a filter on yourself if you want to be successful
Couldn't agree more.

KB reminds me of DW. When his talents diminished, he was very humbled. May be some hope for him to grow up when he is in his 40's.....

Not everyone is motivated by a kick in the tail, but sometimes brutal honesty is needed.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with Kyle's right as an owner to say what he thinks will motivate. The discussion is whether the boss should call out a player or employee publicly.

Kyle may not want to be like Penske or Hendick or Ganassi, but those guys have been successful for decades across multiple series. He might want to consider their methods, especially when his driving days are through and he wants to expand beyond a Truck series team that leases most of its hardware.

Well, those people didn't get where they are by acting like spoiled brats. Kyle's in an insulated position because he is successful on the race track, so Joe and the Toyota people have to kind of deal with him with kid gloves. Some day, that will come to an end, and Kyle may find himself still wanting to be a car owner. We'll see then if his way of operating flies or not. Even a hard ass like Dale Earnhardt Sr. knew how to play the game, in fact he was one of the best at it. In an era where every thing you do and everything you say is seen and heard by everyone, and in a sport where you are SO dependent on sponsorship dollars, you have to learn how to have more of a filter on yourself if you want to be successful long term. As an Indiana boy in the 1970's, I grew up worshiping at the alter of one Bobby Knight. We loved it when Bobby would rant and rave and throw chairs and scream at players and officials, and we were mad as hell when he finally got fired. It took some time of honest reflection to realize that one, Bobby really WAS an a-hole 80% of the time, two, that the world had passed his way of doing business by, and three, that in the end, his antics probably cost him more championships than he won. Just some food for thought.

Every person needs to be handle specific ways. Some respond to harsh criticism, some buckle. Some need to be patted on the back, some never need to hear what they do well. I know KB knows Todd better then me and more than likely better then everyone else here. There is nothing wrong with what he did. There will always be those who hate anything he does because it is he that is doing it. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how he handles people because he has measured success, just like Bobby Knight. Nobody on this planet will question his knowledge of the game, just as nobody would question KB's knowledge of racing. As a parent there are times where my Son needs a kick in the butt and times where he needs to hear that he is doing well. That's for me to determine when it is necessary to do so. Same goes for KB when speaking to and on his drivers. The rest is just hot air from a bunch of people with no knowledge of the inner workings or relationship.

I don't think anyone here disagrees. The discussion appears to be whether you call out the player or employee publicly.

Kyle may not want to be like Penske or Hendick or Ganassi, but those guys have been successful for decades across multiple series. He might want to consider their methods, especially when his driving days are through and he wants to expand beyond a Truck series team that leases most of its hardware.

You absolutely call out the player when the time seems right. There are plenty of instances where Coaches around the globe do so and it is effective. Human nature is to become complacent. How do we know they have not had this conversation time and time again? At what point do you publicly call someone out? Sometimes people need to be exposed to the masses to make them realize that their inadequacies or deficiencies are noticeable. We all live in our own sphere and more often then not we lose sight on our perception to others. This could be a moment where it really opens up Todd's eyes that if you do not produce results there is always someone behind you chasing you down and looking to take your job. It's a hard reality for an 18 year to sometimes grasp.

great point. I'd take Bell ( at his age right now.) for sure over Byron and Jones right damn now. and You could make a case for him over Chase right now too. I love Bell's talent he reminds me a bit of Tony Stewart, just raw pure talent. He should have been up in Cup already IMO I just think the open wheel/dirt background gives him an edge over those previously mentioned.

Well Karma struck again for KDB, mouths off about a driver, and what does he do? Wipes out his primary cup car, goes to a backup and wrecks it also. But none of the big wigs on that team says nothing, in fact the real coach on that team, in all my years I have never seen him call out a player or a driver..at least to the press. But Kyle won the truck race. :cool:

I don't think you do at any point. We disagree on this one.

Yeah I would agree that we do, lol. I am a firm believer in being wide open and using the public as a way to get your message across. It wouldn't be my first alternative, but if I have had multiple conversations with someone on one of my teams and it isn't clicking we are going to handle it publicly as a unit. I have done it with Parents in front of their kids.

At the end of the day if this is a catalyst to get him going then he is a genius. If not he is a bad guy. Time will tell. One thing that I think everyone needs to stop and consider is that the very same conversation had in the article was more than likely had with Todd prior. It's not like this is the first time Todd has heard this from KB. I would also suggest that things need to be taken in the context that they are printed here. The article looks clearly like someone was asking KB about either Todd's progress or his struggles and yes, an 18 year old with the family history and pomp surrounding Todd and his potential finishing 9th in the best equipment is considered struggling. SO from that perspective KB is going to answer the question and did so in the same fashion in which he addresses his driver.

I grew up worshiping at the alter of one Bobby Knight. We loved it when Bobby would rant and rave and throw chairs and scream at players and officials, and we were mad as hell when he finally got fired.

I grew up in Ohio, didn't work out well for Woody Hayes either.

What the heck is racing if it isn't "go fast" ?? If the kid can't go fat, it is the end of the game for him unless he wants to run in a lower series. Maybe KDB did this kid a favor because right now the ball is in his court. Go fast or go home. You can slow a driver down but if it isn't in him, you can't make him go fast. Ask Danica.

I don't think ANYBODY is arguing the message, just the method it was delivered. I would have a lot less trouble with this if Todd was being chewed out publicly for some indiscretion, but to dress down an 18 year old kid in public just because perhaps he isn't as good as some other people is just wrong. If this method of motivation was so damn brilliant, how come we don't see more of it?

Todd has been afforded opportunities most drivers can only dream of. Kyle is telling him it’s put up or shut up. You have to have thick skin to survive in a sport like this, if Todd is mentally strong he will use this as something to motivate him. If not, he’ll be kicked to the curb. Seems fair to me. I was a big fan of the kid in K&N but he’s been pretty lackluster in trucks so far.

Todd has been afforded opportunities most drivers can only dream of. Kyle is telling him it’s put up or shut up. You have to have thick skin to survive in a sport like this, if Todd is mentally strong he will use this as something to motivate him. If not, he’ll be kicked to the curb. Seems fair to me. I was a big fan of the kid in K&N but he’s been pretty lackluster in trucks so far.

That's almost exactly what I thought. You need a thick skin. I have to assume that KB has already had this discussion with him quite a bit in private, and this is his way of bringing some more heat on him. I don't see it being any worse than drivers calling out their pit crews on TV and such as that. Plus, it's Kyle Busch. You have to know when you sign with him, that this sort of stuff is going to happen. It would be neat to know how or if Gilliland responded.

You don't air dirty laundry. Period. At least well adjusted grown ups don't.

That's almost exactly what I thought. You need a thick skin. I have to assume that KB has already had this discussion with him quite a bit in private, and this is his way of bringing some more heat on him. I don't see it being any worse than drivers calling out their pit crews on TV and such as that. Plus, it's Kyle Busch. You have to know when you sign with him, that this sort of stuff is going to happen. It would be neat to know how or if Gilliland responded.

Drivers shouldn't be calling out their pit crews in public either, which includes on the radio where the whole world is listening. Just once I'd like to hear a crewman or even a crew chief say, "we lost the race because our driver is an idiot", but you know they would probably get canned the same day. The point is, you win as a team, and you lose as a team, and what goes on within the team should STAY within the team. Not that I'm a fan of them by ANY stretch, but the Patriots haven't won six Super Bowls by yapping and pointing fingers at each other.

Drivers shouldn't be calling out their pit crews in public either, which includes on the radio where the whole world is listening. Just once I'd like to hear a crewman or even a crew chief say, "we lost the race because our driver is an idiot", but you know they would probably get canned the same day. The point is, you win as a team, and you lose as a team, and what goes on within the team should STAY within the team. Not that I'm a fan of them by ANY stretch, but the Patriots haven't won six Super Bowls by yapping and pointing fingers at each other.

Best thing I have ever heard a crew chief say " Take your whiny a!! to the bus"

Nobody is going to remember what Kyle said in 3 years except Gilliland. He will either get his ass in gear or be gone. Big deal. Bobby Knight? Some find the brutal authenticity even to his detriment enduring and refreshing. Others with a very high self-perception of morality judge him. He doesn't care. Neither does Kyle. You either like that, or you don't.

I don't think ANYBODY is arguing the message, just the method it was delivered. I would have a lot less trouble with this if Todd was being chewed out publicly for some indiscretion, but to dress down an 18 year old kid in public just because perhaps he isn't as good as some other people is just wrong. If this method of motivation was so damn brilliant, how come we don't see more of it?

Todd and his family are free to drive elsewhere if he doesn't like his boss. Same as it is for any of us. He likely won't go anywhere. He is not a victim.

You don't air dirty laundry. Period. At least well adjusted grown ups don't.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Kyle Busch however, has 51 cup wins and a championship. Whether the lid is half screwed on or all the way, i’d Say the way he runs things works pretty well for him

Back
Top Bottom