Due To Rich Toyota Supply Of Drivers, Busch Sends Warning To Gilliland To Pick Up Pace

Nobody involved (Todd, his father, Kyle, TRD, Mobil, JBL, KBM staffers etc) think this was a big deal.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Kyle Busch however, has 51 cup wins and a championship. Whether the lid is half screwed on or all the way, i’d Say the way he runs things works pretty well for him

Kyle GETS AWAY with being like that because he has 51 Cup wins as a driver . If he had to do business like MOST car owners do, this wouldn't fly. Also, lets be perfectly honest here. Whether Todd stays at KBM or goes probably is a lot more in the hands of TRD than Kyle. If they want to stick with him, I suspect Kyle will suck it up and stay with him too.

You know exactly what it means Mr. PR guy.
So you think I'm lying? Why? I don't like Kyle. Or you find it funny that no one cares? Or what? C'mon son, have a conversation.

I can count on one hand the number of people who know Kyle and actually like him. He's a hard dude to like. And there are things he does that ruffle plenty of feathers throughout the entire system, including Toyota's and Coach's. He is where he is because he wins. The first season he has where he doesn't win any races will likely be his last. There are that many people waiting to drop the guillotine. Having said all that, no one cared about this.

I'll just say this. The damage has been done, the best everyone involved can do is just brush it off and move on. I'm sure Todd and his dad know that making a big deal about it doesn't help their cause one bit, either with Kyle or TRD. Sometimes you just have eat a crap sandwich and move on, because the alternative is probably going and getting a 9-5 job somewhere.

So you say this..it's no big deal

Nobody involved (Todd, his father, Kyle, TRD, Mobil, JBL, KBM staffers etc) think this was a big deal.

and then you say this below. That is confusing to me because as I read it, one says no big deal and the other says to me yeah Kyle is living on borrowed time, but he can get by with it for now. Not trying to pick a fight, but so far in my many years of fandom, I have never heard a car owner publicly do that to a driver especially one who is very young and IMO isn't doing that bad and his record shows that. He had a race won last year at Canadian tire, his teammate took him out in the last corner in his first part time year while winning the K&N title that year also. Gilliland finished one place down from Burton at Atlanta who is also new to the truck series. My take is Kyle went way over the top, and something as crazy as it is should have come at least after his first full season in the trucks if he didn't perform. It is what it is, I don't think he is doing his Toyota furnished sponsors and good, or his manufacturer whom almost all of his support comes from..talk about biting the hand that feeds ya.

So you think I'm lying? Why? I don't like Kyle. Or you find it funny that no one cares? Or what? C'mon son, have a conversation.

I can count on one hand the number of people who know Kyle and actually like him. He's a hard dude to like. And there are things he does that ruffle plenty of feathers throughout the entire system, including Toyota's and Coach's. He is where he is because he wins. The first season he has where he doesn't win any races will likely be his last. There are that many people waiting to drop the guillotine. Having said all that, no one cared about this.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Kyle Busch however, has 51 cup wins and a championship. Whether the lid is half screwed on or all the way, i’d Say the way he runs things works pretty well for him
The skills required to be a winning driver don't overlap much with those needed to be a successful business manager. See Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, etc.

So now we’re gonna pretend Kyle isn’t a good businessman? How many owners championships has he won in Trucks? How many drivers championships? You can not like someone but that doesn’t negate everything they’ve accomplished lol. If Kyle Larson or Jimmie Johnson did this nobody would give a darn

So now we’re gonna pretend Kyle isn’t a good businessman? How many owners championships has he won in Trucks? How many drivers championships? You can not like someone but that doesn’t negate everything they’ve accomplished lol. If Kyle Larson or Jimmie Johnson did this nobody would give a darn

I have NO IDEA how good a businessman he is. He has TRD and JGR backing him up, and TRD feeds him a steady supply of talent. Who the hell knows what he would be doing if he had to survive on his own. From what Allenbaba says, probably not too well. I can't speak for Larson, but I've got $500 that says Johnson would NEVER do what Busch did.

So you say this..it's no big deal

and then you say this below. That is confusing to me because as I read it, one says no big deal and the other says to me yeah Kyle is living on borrowed time, but he can get by with it for now. Not trying to pick a fight, but so far in my many years of fandom, I have never heard a car owner publicly do that to a driver especially one who is very young and IMO isn't doing that bad and his record shows that. He had a race won last year at Canadian tire, his teammate took him out in the last corner in his first part time year while winning the K&N title that year also. Gilliland finished one place down from Burton at Atlanta who is also new to the truck series. My take is Kyle went way over the top, and something as crazy as it is should have come at least after his first full season in the trucks if he didn't perform. It is what it is, I don't think he is doing his Toyota furnished sponsors and good, or his manufacturer whom almost all of his support comes from..talk about biting the hand that feeds ya.
Not sure what to say. I hear tons of complaints about Kyle from tons of people who orbit him. This was not one of those occasions. I think a lot of stakeholders are worried about Todd's performance. Not at a crucial level, but genuine concern. Gragson won a couple times at KBM and TRD still didn't feel the need to make sure he stayed in the system. I think the point is, you need to win big at KBM to make it in the Toyota system. It's an extremely high bar. And for the record, Kyle's not living on "borrowed time." He's living because he's an elite talent.

I'm not saying he isn't a good business man. I'm saying he's made one personnel management decision I strongly question. It may or may not be indicative of how he runs his business as a whole. If it is, it may not bode well for KBM as an organization that will survive past Kyle's driving days. If it isn't typical, if it's an outlier, we all make questionable decisions

Man this thread is funny. This sort of stuff happens all the time, especially in racing.

I have NO IDEA how good a businessman he is. He has TRD and JGR backing him up, and TRD feeds him a steady supply of talent. Who the hell knows what he would be doing if he had to survive on his own. From what Allenbaba says, probably not too well. I can't speak for Larson, but I've got $500 that says Johnson would NEVER do what Busch did.

The mere fact that he has JGR & TRD backing with the TRD Driver Development feed is the very definition of good business. I mean, really? SMDH. Sometimes the hatred blinds so much more than my rose colored glasses.

As a businessman, Kyle Busch is an incredible race car driver.

I agree with @Formerjackman. It's no slight on him necessarily, but having the connection to JGR and TRD due to being a world class driver doesn't say anything about his actual business skills. It doesn't really matter, everyone uses what advantages they have in this life.

As a businessman, Kyle Busch is an incredible race car driver.

I agree with @Formerjackman. It's no slight on him necessarily, but having the connection to JGR and TRD due to being a world class driver doesn't say anything about his actual business skills. It doesn't really matter, everyone uses what advantages they have in this life.

You either have the skills and find the money, or you have the money and find the skills. Both equally effective in business IMO. Kyle wove his ability into a relationship with TRD which supports his business interest. Smart. As. Hell.

Won't be the first time one of em leaves and does just fine, Joey, Larson, Gragson and the whole Thorsport team comes to mind. BTW the whole KBM Toyota team got beat by a one truck underfunded team for the title last year. Maybe KDB is feeling the heat this year for HIM to perform and he is trying to lay it off on Gillilland. The same single truck team with Hill driving this year already has one win at Daytona and a 7th at Atlanta, one point behind Enfinger for the points lead.

Won't be the first time one of em leaves and does just fine, Joey, Larson, Gragson and the whole Thorsport team comes to mind. BTW the whole KBM Toyota team got beat by a one truck underfunded team for the title last year. Maybe KDB is feeling the heat this year for HIM to perform and he is trying to lay it off on Gillilland. The same single truck team with Hill driving this year already has one win at Daytona and a 7th at Atlanta, one point behind Enfinger for the points lead.

Gragson is doing fine after two races? You never disappoint. LMFAO.

The mere fact that he has JGR & TRD backing with the TRD Driver Development feed is the very definition of good business. I mean, really? SMDH. Sometimes the hatred blinds so much more than my rose colored glasses.

Well its not really any hate behind it. Kyle brought it on himself honestly. You see any other owner doing this? Exactly, you don't see this often. Gilliland just turned 18 years old and just started running on intermediates late last season. I have no problem with what Kyle did because its what he does. He's very upfront and I get that, but Todd is growing and needs time. Kyle is looking for the next him, that in itself is next to impossible. There is only one Kyle and that is what he has to realize.

TRD definately has a lot of stock in scouting talent. We have seen it, but sometimes waiting is the right thing to do. Look at Logano after leaving JGR, he's a champion. It was due to the fact Toyota, Home Depot, and JGR gave up on him because he was rushed as the "next big thing" at the time. Folks have to calm down with this, but business is business at the end of the day.

I don't think ANYBODY is arguing the message, just the method it was delivered. I would have a lot less trouble with this if Todd was being chewed out publicly for some indiscretion, but to dress down an 18 year old kid in public just because perhaps he isn't as good as some other people is just wrong. If this method of motivation was so damn brilliant, how come we don't see more of it?

Because you live in a politically correct world where everyone gets a trophy. Reality is quite different when you don't have a Union to protect your sorry ass.
Signed: An Employer

That's because it wasn't. Kyle coming down hard on the kid may have saved his career. If not then he wasn't cut out to Go Fast.

Because you live in a politically correct world where everyone gets a trophy. Reality is quite different when you don't have a Union to protect your sorry ass.
Signed: An Employer

I'm probably the most politically incorrect person you will meet. I DESPISE political correctness. I'm 51 and have never worked a union job in my life. I have been chewed out plenty of times by my employers. The difference is, it was not even in front of my co-workers, let alone the general public. It's just a simple difference in how people conduct their business. Some people act with class, and some people don't. You say you're a Penske guy. I have followed Roger Penske for over forty years, and I can't recall ONE SINGLE TIME he resorted to this type of tactic to send a message or motivate employees or drivers, and how many hundreds of times more of them has he had than KB has? Roger Penske commands respect because of who he is, what he is, and what he has accomplished. He doesn't have to behave like a jackass to get his message across. Maybe Kyle does......

Didn’t he go on his own without support from Gibbs and didn’t win a race? Of course it wasn’t so much business acumen as much as equipment quality.

OK, give us an example where it has happened in racing.

Pretty much any driver that gets fired this happens to. Only thing different about this is you heard about it. But if you want an example of something like this just look at all the owners saying they'll fire any driver that protest the national anthem. It's just common sense guy, if you don't perform how you're expected to you might get fired.

Well its not really any hate behind it. Kyle brought it on himself honestly. You see any other owner doing this? Exactly, you don't see this often. Gilliland just turned 18 years old and just started running on intermediates late last season. I have no problem with what Kyle did because its what he does. He's very upfront and I get that, but Todd is growing and needs time. Kyle is looking for the next him, that in itself is next to impossible. There is only one Kyle and that is what he has to realize.

TRD definately has a lot of stock in scouting talent. We have seen it, but sometimes waiting is the right thing to do. Look at Logano after leaving JGR, he's a champion. It was due to the fact Toyota, Home Depot, and JGR gave up on him because he was rushed as the "next big thing" at the time. Folks have to calm down with this, but business is business at the end of the day.

This is about Kyle. Period. I didn't even think anything about what he said until I saw the slop here. This is a big boy business. If Mr. Gilliland has his feelings hurt, he is free to quit. If he turns out to be the next Kyle Busch, and he dumped KBM because of this horrid treatment, then the thread becomes relevant. Mr. Gilliland stays by his own will. Sometimes, these Kyle bashes just get stupid. Logano had plenty of time. Didn't work out for Toyota, but it did for him. Good for Joey. How long would you have waited if you were Home Depot? They stirred the drink.

Yeah some of these post are rough, no logic at all. They ignore the fact that all the support he receives is the result of a business deal.

Back
Top Bottom