Fixing Attendance

Also who watches races live anymore? I sure as hell don't, I only did it with the Dover race cause I watched it with my dad. The only other ones I'll watch live is the Daytona 500, the racing day of the year with Monaco, indy and Charlotte and then if I'm home I'll watch the final "playoff" races to decide the champion.

Otherwise I dvr everything and when I get to it I get it to it. That's the main reason I show up here and there now because I'm never up to date and this is the only place that would spoil the results for me.

Also who watches races live anymore? I sure as hell don't, I only did it with the Dover race cause I watched it with my dad. The only other ones I'll watch live is the Daytona 500, the racing day of the year with Monaco, indy and Charlotte and then if I'm home I'll watch the final "playoff" races to decide the champion.

Otherwise I dvr everything and when I get to it I get it to it. That's the main reason I show up here and there now because I'm never up to date and this is the only place that would spoil the results for me.

millions do every week if you are paying attention

I used to. I’d plan my Sunday, have people over , cook or order food and watch it live.

How old are you?

I'm in the millennial bracket that NASCAR would kill for, also have lived in NYC my entire life. I barely know anyone around my age that watches. Most of them think it's just left turns and boring and it's impossible and a waste of time to try to even talk to most of them about. They just don't care.

I'm in the millennial bracket that NASCAR would kill for, also have lived in NYC my entire life. I barely know anyone around my age that watches. Most of them think it's just left turns and boring and it's impossible and a waste of time to try to even talk to most of them about. They just don't care.

If you say so. The 50 and older crowd are the majority of live sports fans in almost every group in live sports. When I was your age I was spending almost every weekend at the lake, water skiing, sailing, fishing or hunting whatever the season was. The was B.C.(before cable) or VCR's or DVR's. You dance card would have to be pretty open to stay at home and watch the race IMO.

If you say so. The 50 and older crowd are the majority of live sports fans in almost every group in live sports. When I was your age I was spending almost every weekend at the lake, water skiing, sailing, fishing or hunting whatever the season was. The was B.C.(before cable) or VCR's or DVR's. You dance card would have to be pretty open to stay at home and watch the race IMO.
We didn't have the option to stay home and watch racing every weekend (or much choice of other sports either). The local team, the national Game of the Week, and that was about it. I sure miss the professional putters and bowlers, and as a nation we're poorer now that no one covers cliff diving. :rolleyes:

We didn't have the option to stay home and watch racing every weekend (or much choice of other sports either). The local team, the national Game of the Week, and that was about it. I sure miss the professional putters and bowlers, and as a nation we're poorer now that no one covers cliff diving. :rolleyes:
actually went to Acapulco and watched them cliff dive while we were there..they did a masterful job of making it look high on TV is all I'm going to say. :p

almost all of live sporting events the attendance is declining. And this is the same thing over and over.

Has NASCAR declined for the same reasons? This is yet another case where it's difficult to compare motorsports to stick and ball.

Other sports aren't dramatically changing their rules every couple years, and most of the changes in other sports (CFB playoff, NHL overtime, MLB replay, etc) have been minor and well received. They aren't adding a 5th down in football, a 4-pt shot in basketball, a one game World Series, a wider net in hockey, bonus points for home runs, etc.

Has NASCAR declined for the same reasons? This is yet another case where it's difficult to compare motorsports to stick and ball.

Other sports aren't dramatically changing their rules every couple years, and most of the changes in other sports (CFB playoff, NHL overtime, MLB replay, etc) have been minor and well received. They aren't adding a 5th down in football, a 4-pt shot in basketball, a one game World Series, a wider net in hockey, bonus points for home runs, etc.

that doesn't seem to matter if they are all declining. I guess you can speculate over and over and over that is the reason, good a guess as any

Nailed it, all the stupid gimmicks just mask the real problem or try to, which is the cars. I think it's obvious most, I say most, don't think the stages, the point structure, the chase are doing the sport a favor.

actually went to Acapulco and watched them cliff dive while we were there..they did a masterful job of making it look high on TV is all I'm going to say. :p
If I recall, it wasn't so much the height of the cliffs as the relatively shallow water. I recall the 'drama' was in timing the dive with the incoming waves so you'd enter when the water was at its deepest.

yeah your deal is gimmicks over and over and over..it's time for a the cars aren't right guy next.

Why the hell are their time limits to edit posts? I just lost a long post that I'm gonna try to recreate....

I'm in the age demographic that NASCAR so desperately wants and another thing I have an issue with is these young drivers who are "the future" have no ******* personalities. Look at Eric Jones yesterday in the Xfinity race. He was cut off by Bell and it cost him the race and he didn't show any emotion other than disappointment. Could we see some ******** anger? Could we some ******* passion? This guy is supposed to be the future of the cup series? Zzzzzz I'm not saying he has to go punch Bell in the face but could he at least be pissed off.

These young drivers are emotionless robots that do nothing but thank their sponsors. A lot of the older current cup drivers are the same way but I find these younger guys to be even worse if that's possible. There's no real passion, no real angry. It's horribly boring to hear any of these guys talk. I think they are all too scared to do anything but thank their sponsors and be good little commercial ads for them. It's something I don't even know how you change at this point.

We have no characters in the sport anymore. That's why I always loved Tony Stewart, he never gave a **** what you thought and he had no problem telling you exactly what he thought. He also never gave a sh!t what the boring media thought. Same thing with Kyle Busch before he calmed down, I still love how annoyed everyone was when he smashed that stupid guitar in Nashville.

We need more guys like this, with character and passion and less Kyle Larsons and Eric Jones and all these other young boring kids that when given the choice to watch paint dry or listen to them that I would choose to watch paint dry.

Real character would really boost the sport an get people back into it. I was hoping monster engery might try to push NASCAR into letting these guys be more real since I find the Supercross series to be way less phony when it comes to drivers. Shame it's apparently never going to happen.

The Kerfuffle between Kyle Busch and JLo earlier in the year was supposed to goose ratings and interest and apparently Nascar even got its 15 minutes of fame over the issue. Nothing happened as no new people tuned in the next week and the whole thing was forgotten. Nascar should make a product that appeals to the correct demo prior to going WWE.

almost all of live sporting events the attendance is declining. And this is the same thing over and over.

That may be true but to put it in proper perspective Nascar's TV and live audience are declining at super sonic speeds while the sports world is declining at the speed of a Geo Metro with a plug wire pulled. The average age of a Nascar fan in 5 years will be between 65-70 and that would make Dandy Don sing "Turn out the lights the party's over."

They already have a close version of that in the NFL, they are declining also. I don't think the that can get anymore bizzare

Well I doubt many in my age group are, I have no desire to sit there for hours when I can watch the full race in usually half that time or less by fast forwarding cautions and commercials.

Nascar races (even good ones) are unwatchable live for me as there is so much wasted time. Between commercials, shameless promos, worthless camera angles, yellow flags, red flags, long clean up periods, worthless commentary and conversation ......well.....it is like throwing perfectly good time out the window. A nascar race can normally be watched in 90 minutes with no problems at all.

That may be true but to put it in proper perspective Nascar's TV and live audience are declining at super sonic speeds while the sports world is declining at the speed of a Geo Metro with a plug wire pulled. The average age of a Nascar fan in 5 years will be between 65-70 and that would make Dandy Don sing "Turn out the lights the party's over."

glad you have switched to it isn't as bad mode like it matters, actually kind of funny. It's a slower deathbed for others.

They already have a close version of that in the NFL, they are declining also. I don't think the that can get anymore bizzare

We both know that there is no comparison between the NFL's challenges and Nascar's. They aren't even in the same zip code.

upload_2017-10-22_14-18-20.jpeg

glad you have switched to it isn't as bad mode like it matters, actually kind of funny. It's a slower deathbed for others.

We both know the NFL, NHL and NBA are in good shape but IDK about the fortunes of the PGA or MLB. The NHL just expanded again this year and the NBA and NFL will expand into markets currently not served in the next 5 years. New arenas and stadiums are being built with taxpayer money on a regular basis and happily so.

We know that Nascar will be around in one form or another but currently has a very old audience, a real lack of interest and no young fans in the pipeline. What I have said is the unvarnished truth and if you can't handle it that is fine but it doesn't change it one iota!!!

Nice crowd at Kansas.

Not sure if you are being facetious but from the angle they showed at the beginning of the race it did look like a good crowd but with 30 to go they showed an overhead view of the stands and they looked like Swiss Cheese. I was surprised as either thousands of people left early or were visiting the restrooms or concession areas.

Not being facetious at all.

Looked like a decent crowd so I posted that.

Something happened then as the overhead shot showed large swaths of vacant seats so IDK what happened and there are far worse things in life then being facetious!

Yep, packed and sponsors with big checks are waiting in huge lines to hand them over to the teams. Every corporation is pounding on NASCAR's door to be involved. The future is so bright NASCAR has to wear shades.

I think Nascar Apologist is a joint account for SOI and Aunty!

Yep, packed and sponsors with big checks are waiting in huge lines to hand them over to the teams. Every corporation is pounding on NASCAR's door to be involved. The future is so bright NASCAR has to wear shades.
Mos def as did you hear that the #78 finally will have all external sponsors for the first time ever next year? It is great to see everyone in the industry working together to inspire the fans and sponsors like that. We are in for another NASCAR renaissance. Talladega had even had its biggest crowd ever. The Martinsville nightish race is going to be a huge hit too.

Mos def as did you hear that the #78 finally will have all external sponsors for the first time ever next year? It is great to see everyone in the industry working together to inspire the fans and sponsors like that. We are in for another NASCAR renaissance. Talladega had even had its biggest crowd ever. The Martinsville nightish race is going to be a huge hit too.

Now I know that SOI must be involved with this account as he would say the same thing about the 78 car being fully sponsored but neglect to mention that the team went from 2 cars to 1 in order to facilitate it. You guys are great and I appreciate the back and forth.

Huh? Talladega used to have a much larger seating capacity.

Back
Top Bottom