Has Jimmie Johnson (at age 43) lost a step?

yeah, I was impressed with Johnson in 5th the fastest Chevy/Hendrick, but Menard topped that.

It'll be a damn shame if the 48 can't get into the playoffs. 48 car has low key been the fastest Hendrick car (aside from Watkins Glen) for quite a few weeks. Top 10 speed for a while,just wrecks and wrecks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

***MISSING***

IF FOUND PLEASE RETURN TO HENDRICK MOTORSPORTS RACE SHOP STALL #48!

REWARD WILL BE GIVEN!!

27718288-gold-horseshoe-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

Any bets on when the 2020 retirement tour is announced officially?
Honestly, I'm glad he didn't limp into the chase (playoffs). I'm curious to see how he fares the last ten races, its been a horrible season for him. I honestly think, if he performs well these last ten. He's not going to retire until 2021, if not. I could see him hanging them up after next year.

I certainly think JJ is not in prime, but still a really good racer and like today still has plenty of speed. Its funny because its almost as if Jimmie has slipped in terms of finishing races off. The past month, honestly he's had the speed its just finishing races for him that's the issue.

Bobby's been waiting for this since 2008

2008? o_O
What’s the significance of 2008?
I haven’t been waiting for JJ to retire.
I just hope he doesn’t hang out and ride around. He’s clearly sundowning.

JJ was top man in an era of cars and a chase schedule that suited him.
He has no advantage with these types of cars. Maybe the new car will suit him better.

Whew, rough season for Johnson. I think the crew chief change was a good move, it just came too late in the season to make an impact. Also, let's be honest, Johnson always performed better in a loose car, and I don't know how loose you can get with a low HP and high down force package. The car probably drives like a brick in a wind tunnel.

Did Jimmie skip Burning Man this year? Maybe he should've wandered the desert like a hippie wearing only body paint and hemp sandals, to help clear his mind. Next year will be painful to watch if he doesn't get his mojo back.

Whew, rough season for Johnson. I think the crew chief change was a good move, it just came too late in the season to make an impact. Also, let's be honest, Johnson always performed better in a loose car, and I don't know how loose you can get with a low HP and high down force package. The car probably drives like a brick in a wind tunnel.
This. Revman and I have discussed this in great detail. But Jimmie typically would either start his turn late, or his lift slightly early, and drove off the right rear in the center. His style gave him less "wheel" at corner apex than other guys, and as a result, when dialed in, he could find more speed in the center of the corner of high banked tracks than anyone. People can talk raw talent all they want, but at his best, call it skill, execution, or whatever... when it came to finding an extra 2 tenths, no one did it better than Jimmie, not even Kyle Busch. Obviously racing is a team sport, but it still baffles me how some people still refuse to acknowledge..car aside, how good of a driver Jimmie was.

This. Revman and I have discussed this in great detail. But Jimmie typically would either start his turn late, or his lift slightly early, and drove off the right rear in the center. His style gave him less "wheel" at corner apex than other guys, and as a result, when dialed in, he could find more speed in the center of the corner of high banked tracks than anyone. People can talk raw talent all they want, but at his best, call it skill, execution, or whatever... when it came to finding an extra 2 tenths, no one did it better than Jimmie, not even Kyle Busch. Obviously racing is a team sport, but it still baffles me how some people still refuse to acknowledge..car aside, how good of a driver Jimmie was.

I have driven this package in iRacing, and it is very planted.

What I meant is that it's very hard to get it loose. It's planted and it drives like a brick.
Sorry to be blunt, but that is nonsense. It's a high downforce rules package, so that creates a "planted" feel, but that doesn't mean it has systemic understeer. Setup details will lead to any given moment being tight (understeer), or perfectly balanced, or loose (oversteer). Also, this package includes substantial amounts of aero side force. When that gets interrupted, it generally produces oversteer... for example Erik Jones when Keselowski was alongside his right door.

I know a few different drivers have commented that early in the season the cars WERE stuck pretty good, but as the season has gone on and the crews have learned how to trim out these cars and build more speed into them, the cars have become a real handful to drive.

all three of those drivers got loose and spun. Not counting numerous backmarkers last weekend. Maybe your simulator is off.
Doesn't mean a car can't get loose and sucked around. Obviously that can happen. But they are evidently bricky-er then previous packages

Sorry to be blunt, but that is nonsense. It's a high downforce rules package, so that creates a "planted" feel, but that doesn't mean it has systemic understeer. Setup details will lead to any given moment being tight (understeer), or perfectly balanced, or loose (oversteer). Also, this package includes substantial amounts of aero side force. When that gets interrupted, it generally produces oversteer... for example Erik Jones when Keselowski was alongside his right door.
I think he was referencing that "planted" feel you are talking about. Which is exactly how these cars seem to be.. high downforce and planted and can spontaneously snap loose or push tight given the air.

I think he was referencing that "planted" feel you are talking about. Which is exactly how these cars seem to be.. high downforce and planted and can spontaneously snap loose or push tight given the air.

I don't think I have heard any driver say snapped tight or loose this year.

Happy birthday to Jimmie

Looking at the speed charts Jimmie looks like his car is horrible for Richmond this weekend. This is the kind of thing that makes me shake my head. We aren’t running the iroc package, the rules are more similar to years past on short tracks. Yet his car looks like it was prepared by bk racing. Or maybe it’s a Derrick cope racing car. Seriously Jimmie is that slow in practice

Looking at the speed charts Jimmie looks like his car is horrible for Richmond this weekend. This is the kind of thing that makes me shake my head. We aren’t running the iroc package, the rules are more similar to years past on short tracks. Yet his car looks like it was prepared by bk racing. Or maybe it’s a Derrick cope racing car. Seriously Jimmie is that slow in practice
Don't remind me, I have him at the pick 'em game. I almost used him last weekend, where he finished a respectable 11th place. I had Larson last week, he looks good this week & is a former winner of this race.

Jimmie is really missing Chad.

Agreed.

Laser tech and the lack of Chad killed the 48.
What killed the 48 is an equal combination of

A past his prime champion, in a package where he doesn't get to exercise his best skill, teamed with a new CC in an organization and manufacture/organization that is falling behind, seems to explain the decline in performance.

We are about 5 years past the whole "cheating Chad helping a non-elite driver win for a decade" nonsense. Come on Bobby.

Are you a Ford guy btw? You got a Toyota in your profile, and never seem to mention any allegiance to Ford. Just curious

What killed the 48 is an equal combination of

A past his prime champion, in a package where he doesn't get to exercise his best skill, teamed with a new CC in an organization and manufacture/organization that is falling behind, seems to explain the decline in performance.

We are about 5 years past the whole "cheating Chad helping a non-elite driver win for a decade" nonsense. Come on Bobby.

Are you a Ford guy btw? You got a Toyota in your profile, and never seem to mention any allegiance to Ford. Just curious

You’ll understand if I disagree with you.

Yes I’m a Ford guy but I support my driver regardless of manufacturer. If Kyle quit I’d probably follow Harvick, he’s the best driver in a Ford.

Back
Top Bottom