Has Jimmie Johnson (at age 43) lost a step?

Looked better than Bowman & Byron. Honestly I think the 48 will be back in the playoffs next year.

I think most don't look at Hendrick has three young drivers and comparing young to young they aren't doing that badly. They have no one in the middle.

Chase: held back by HMS performance.
Byron: held back by youth.
Bowman: held back by talent.
Jimmie: the once mighty Lion...

IMHO

I think most don't look at Hendrick has three young drivers and comparing young to young they aren't doing that badly. They have no one in the middle.
Compared to similar cup experience in top teams

Elliott 5 wins to this point in 4 years
Bowman 1 win in 2 years with Hendrick
Byron 3 top 5's in 2 years

Jones 2 wins in 3 years
Blaney 2 wins in 4 years
Larson 5 wins in 6 years

Isn’t Kevin the same age as Jimmie?
I think the whole “Jimmie is past his prime” is a BS excuse.
As is "this was always him without Chad". Of course he is past his prime.

As a driver, Harvick probably is too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HMS Boys are all in the Round of 12.

What's next for Jimmie? Another Crew Chief, change of Sponsor, different race socks? What???

Last edited:

What's next for Jimmie? Another Crew Chief, change of Sponsor, different race socks? What???

Jimmie has five straight top ten starts and three straight top 11 finishes. I know that means nothing to you, but some of us that take a more objective look at the situation see signs of improvement.

Jimmie has five straight top ten starts and three straight top 11 finishes. I know that means nothing to you, but some of us that take a more objective look at the situation see signs of improvement.

Not during the Playoffs where he's on the outside looking in at the rest of the Teams moving forward.

For all realistic purposes, the prospect of making the playoffs was dead when (and why) the crew chief change was made. The real mission since then is to improve and get ready for next year. They are doing that. Maybe not as quickly as I would like, but forward progress is forward progress. The 48 was the only HMS car at Richmond that wasn't a total embarrassment.

For all realistic purposes, the prospect of making the playoffs was dead when (and why) the crew chief change was made. The real mission since then is to improve and get ready for next year. They are doing that. Maybe not as quickly as I would like, but forward progress is forward progress. The 48 was the only HMS car at Richmond that wasn't a total embarrassment.
I believe Jimmie will bounce back. One thing I heard the announcers mention today is that the man has said he is determined not to go out like this, and to be honest, if not for some rotten luck and a few errors in the last dozen or so races, this conversation may not even be necessary, but here we are. Either way, I think he'll bounce back, and I don't think we have seen him in victory lane for the final time.

We know you are a JJ troll, but Jimmie has had faster cars on average than the 24 and 88 for the last 10 races.. at times, ran better than Chase too. He's had consistent top 10 speed since July with not a single result to show for it due to some ridiculous luck and a few errors. But hey, if you waited this long to find a reason to convince yourself a 7 time champ isn't as good as a 7 time champ, do your thing.

Nobody can take away those 7 championships even though that last one had to be one of the luckiest ever. It looks like luck no longer rolls Jimmie's way tho. How long has it been since he's had a victory, about 2 years now? And wasn't there also a loooong 60 or was it 70 some races losing streak before that win at Dover in 2017? So that's 1 win in about 3 or 4 years now? I remember Jimmie was the guy who would have something stupid happen that put him at the back of the pack and he'd still win the race. Or Chad would roll the dice when they didn't have the fastest car and they'd win. I like to see him lose a lot that makes me happy.

Nobody can take away those 7 championships even though that last one had to be one of the luckiest ever. It looks like luck no longer rolls Jimmie's way tho. How long has it been since he's had a victory, about 2 years now? And wasn't there also a loooong 60 or was it 70 some races losing streak before that win at Dover in 2017? So that's 1 win in about 3 or 4 years now? I remember Jimmie was the guy who would have something stupid happen that put him at the back of the pack and he'd still win the race. Or Chad would roll the dice when they didn't have the fastest car and they'd win. I like to see him lose a lot that makes me happy.

Uh, he won 5 races in 2017 including Martinsville & Homestead-Miami at the end of the year. Then won 3 races in 2017. Racing-Reference is your friend.

I'm not the biggest Jimmie fan in the world myself but the guy is a class act and is a good example of a racer so I have nothing to say about your opinion on him. Everybody hates a winner.

You need to double check your stats because we were both wrong. He had 3 wins in 2017 and the last win he had was in June of that year at Dover. He had 5 wins in 2016. I dunno how I got it so wrong. It's ok though he's still gunning to be a loser for 2 years in a row right now. And I have never had a low opinion of Jimmie Johnson. He will straight up drive around anybody else and make it look easy when we all know better. He's not a dirty racer. He doesnt put people into the wall. He's a champion. He's a badass. Has class. Unfortunately he drives a Chevy so that makes me enjoy his losing streak. I hope the losses continue. I always chuckle at the sad looking 48 fans I see at the track. Living in the past. Lol

You need to double check your stats because we were both wrong. He had 3 wins in 2017 and the last win he had was in June of that year at Dover. He had 5 wins in 2016. I dunno how I got it so wrong. It's ok though he's still gunning to be a loser for 2 years in a row right now. And I have never had a low opinion of Jimmie Johnson. He will straight up drive around anybody else and make it look easy when we all know better. He's not a dirty racer. He doesnt put people into the wall. He's a champion. He's a badass. Has class. Unfortunately he drives a Chevy so that makes me enjoy his losing streak. I hope the losses continue. I always chuckle at the sad looking 48 fans I see at the track. Living in the past. Lol

Keep trolling bud. And yeah it was a typo I'm sure I'll never live that down.

I'll quit until next week. Even though it really does make me feel better to know that the pain is real for some fans. :D I don't have to tell you what HMS, particularly Jimmie Johnson, has done at Dover in the past and it seems to be a good track for Chase too. That causes a little indigestion for me so does that make you feel any better?

I'll quit until next week. Even though it really does make me feel better to know that the pain is real for some fans. :D I don't have to tell you what HMS, particularly Jimmie Johnson, has done at Dover in the past and it seems to be a good track for Chase too. That causes a little indigestion for me so does that make you feel any better?

I don't have any allegiance to HMS. Must be fun to be a bitter Vols fan.

Yeah I knew that one was coming but you realize it's been so long since we've been relevant that a comment like that doesn't even sting anymore. I mean we lost to Georgia fricken State you can't say or do anything worse than that. Not gonna happen. Us VFL's have been thru hell and I'm not bitter at all. I'm just enjoying Jimmie Johnson losing a step is all. And Kyle Busch it's nice to see him missing a beat here lately too.

Yeah I knew that one was coming but you realize it's been so long since we've been relevant that a comment like that doesn't even sting anymore. I mean we lost to Georgia fricken State you can't say or do anything worse than that. Not gonna happen. Us VFL's have been thru hell and I'm not bitter at all. I'm just enjoying Jimmie Johnson losing a step is all. And Kyle Busch it's nice to see him missing a beat here lately too.

I gotcha. I personally don't care to beat up on a guy when he's down to but to each his own I suppose.

Awww comon Jimmie Johnson isn't reading this. We're not knights of the round table here eating crumpets, drinking tea and upholding the honor of a lady or some such. I didn't even get mad when you gave me a hard time about being a Vol fan. We're race fans having a little fun. Jimmie Johnson won plenty of races I'm sure if he was reading this he could take the razzing. I dunno about his fans tho. You're carrying his water right now so you'll have to do.

We know you are a JJ troll, but Jimmie has had faster cars on average than the 24 and 88 for the last 10 races.. at times, ran better than Chase too. He's had consistent top 10 speed since July with not a single result to show for it due to some ridiculous luck and a few errors. But hey, if you waited this long to find a reason to convince yourself a 7 time champ isn't as good as a 7 time champ, do your thing.

I'm thinking he has had several big top five results slip out of his grasp in that same span you speak of.

Jimmie isn't reading this -- he's checking his portfolio of multi-million dollar properties, financial dealings, life adventures abroad for his family... Probably eating a kale and avocado sandwich in his bike shorts wondering how much longer he can ride the HMS gravy-train before Rick takes him to lunch...

They have quietly strung together some consistent results underneath the playoff noise. Qualified top-10 in 7 of the last 8 races.

The crew chief change to Cliff had them optimistic of squeaking into the playoffs imo starting at Watkins Glen. They were having a good debut run, until the Blaney bump. Their playoff chances died in a hurry following that with a 34th Michigan result where Jimmie got into the wall on his own. If they had somehow gotten off to a better start together, they may still be live right now headed to Dover, given their recent string of results.

So much so that you apparently make stuff up.. 60-70 winless streak before that Dover win? Before that Dover win he won like 5 out of 18 lol

10-4, I read your following posts after. :)

I think what some of us may be forgetting is that it's not like Jimmie had a gradual fall off and decrease in wins. It just stopped. He was winning just as frequent as he always has been up until the 2017 struggles. He won the most races in 2016 with 5, including 3 of the last 7. Then, he was the quickest to 3 wins in Truex's 2017 season. So even up to that point, a past his prime Jimmie was still winning just as much as Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick. Then he just stopped.

I think that's why people are still surprised/expecting to see flashes of a turnaround because there was no signs of slowing down.

10-4, I read your following posts after. :)

I think what some of us may be forgetting is that it's not like Jimmie had a gradual fall off and decrease in wins. It just stopped. He was winning just as frequent as he always has been up until the 2017 struggles. He won the most races in 2016 with 5, including 3 of the last 7. Then, he was the quickest to 3 wins in Truex's 2017 season. So even up to that point, a past his prime Jimmie was still winning just as much as Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick. Then he just stopped.

I think that's why people are still surprised/expecting to see flashes of a turnaround because there was no signs of slowing down.

It happened to Dale Jr. I'm confident he can get a couple more at least given they had good speed at Texas & Chicagoland.

So much so that you apparently make stuff up.. 60-70 winless streak before that Dover win? Before that Dover win he won like 5 out of 18 lol

That had already been pointed out several days ago. I was only guilty of having a bad memory and not googling before posting.

That had already been pointed out several days ago. I was only guilty of having a bad memory and not googling before posting.
I know man, read my following post. I hear ya.

I would like to point out if there are any Jimmie Johnson fans in here they're awfully quiet. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was because maybe they're fair weather types??? I wouldn't know anything about that being a Volunteer fan thru thick and thin for the last 40 years although my ol lady does get a chuckle and says I change drivers like dirty shirts in Nascar. I told her I'd still be pulling for Kurt Busch had he switched to a Ford.

I dunno who of these youngsters to pull for maybe Chris Buescher? But Harvick's got that attitude and I like it. I mean I was pulling for Smoke and he was a chebby but that 2011 season was a thing of beauty. To be fair though I was pulling for him before he went on the 5 win tear in the chase. I changed the truck number on my KW to #14 and that's when he went on a tear that year. He actually owes me for that one I helped push it over the top lol. When Stewart-Haas switched to Ford I was one happy camper. It's a shame Tony lost his mojo before they did tho.

I would like to point out if there are any Jimmie Johnson fans in here they're awfully quiet. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was because maybe they're fair weather types??? I wouldn't know anything about that being a Volunteer fan thru thick and thin for the last 40 years although my ol lady does get a chuckle and says I change drivers like dirty shirts in Nascar. I told her I'd still be pulling for Kurt Busch had he switched to a Ford.

I'm a HUGE Jimmie Johnson fan. I've been a fan so long that other than people that followed him from his off-road racing, I could probably lay claim to being JJ fan #1. April 11th, 1998. What would you like me to say? I usually don't make a point of jawing about my drivers unless there is something of value to say about them.

Just wondering if there were any Jimmie Johnson fans was all. There hasn't been much to talk about with the 48 team for a long time now I was just trying to generate some discussion in this thread.

I dunno who of these youngsters to pull for maybe Chris Buescher? But Harvick's got that attitude and I like it. I mean I was pulling for Smoke and he was a chebby but that 2011 season was a thing of beauty. To be fair though I was pulling for him before he went on the 5 win tear in the chase. I changed the truck number on my KW to #14 and that's when he went on a tear that year. He actually owes me for that one I helped push it over the top lol. When Stewart-Haas switched to Ford I was one happy camper. It's a shame Tony lost his mojo before they did tho.
For me it's more of a process of elimination.

I was a Carl Edwards fan. Loathed Johnson. But came around in 2012. Became a distant #2 for me for a while but when Carl retired Jimmie was sort of what's left. Definitely didn't follow his career and was a fan only for a small portion of his career.

Just wondering if there were any Jimmie Johnson fans was all. There hasn't been much to talk about with the 48 team for a long time now I was just trying to generate some discussion in this thread.

Well, today was another solid day in the climb back up out the cellar. Qualified top ten, ran in the top ten all day, made no glaring mistakes and finished in the top ten. They may still be baby steps, but the pace is quickening. :)

Well, today was another solid day in the climb back up out the cellar. Qualified top ten, ran in the top ten all day, made no glaring mistakes and finished in the top ten. They may still be baby steps, but the pace is quickening. :)
Yeah I thought he looked pretty good, didn't overdrive the car which isn't very forgiving if overdrove. The 750 package with downforce is stupid fast and the track was super grippy

Back
Top Bottom