Has Jimmie Johnson (at age 43) lost a step?

JJ_14

Go Briscoe!
I hesitate to post this topic at all, because it could all change quickly, maybe Sunday at Bristol. But what the hell... let's roll.

This thread is inevitable... might as well start it myself!

Jimmie was strong right up until the Hendrick fall off. Now Hendrick seems to be getting things righted but Jimmie seems to have gotten lost along the way. I'm sure if they rolled out the 2010 cars next week, he'd be competitive. I'm not sure if he'll get a handle on this package before it's too late. The clock is ticking.

umm the HMS cars are terrible, The racing is totally different than in the past. still people should wonder why he isn't fast at dover and martinsville still even with the rules changes.

I'm not sure that I want to commit to going on the record and saying that Jimmie Johnson has lost a step just yet. He has three races to make the playoffs, and up until a recent spate of bad luck, it seemed like him and his team were actually turning over a new leaf.

He’s going through a rough patch it happened to Petty, Earnhardt, Gordon, Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart and DW. It happened to all former champions and regular winners

I'm not sure that I want to commit to going on the record and saying that Jimmie Johnson has lost a step just yet. He has three races to make the playoffs, and up until a recent spate of bad luck, it seemed like him and his team were actually turning over a new leaf.
If he makes it, I don’t see him advancing.

After winning 7 championships, you’re allowed to loose a step.

Yeah. But it's not that, because he still isn't running well. In these kind of situations, when a champion loses a step, you wonder if said driver would dominate the champions of today. You usually don't know because they are of separate eras.

But that's the thing. He beat today's "best" drivers for a decade. Harvick has been in cup longer than Jimmie. Kyle in 05, Truex 06, Logano 09 Brad 12. He won 7 titles against Busch, Truex and Harvick. 4 against Logano. 2 Against Brad. He's won 2 titles since Brad won his only title. Won a title after Kyle did. Theres nothing any driver active today can do to usurp Jimmie, or become a new GOAT. Nothing else to prove. He should retire in 2020

But that's the thing. He beat today's "best" drivers for a decade. Harvick has been in cup longer than Jimmie. Kyle in 05, Truex 06, Logano 09 Brad 12. He won 7 titles against Busch, Truex and Harvick. 4
2010 was Brad’s first full Cup season.

Jimmie's slow down/drought is much sharper than Gordon's was
He’s going through a rough patch it happened to Petty, Earnhardt, Gordon, Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart and DW. It happened to all former champions and regular winners
nailed it. I go back to when Petty was mostly a back marker and TV was broadcasting races, Petty's career was on the far end. From 85 to 92 he didn't win a race. Only 2 top 10's his last 4 years. I pretty much know Johnson won't run as long as Petty did in today's world. His contract is up next year, probably about right time wise. I'd like to see him win at least one race this year and get into the playoffs, he has never not made them.

His talent was put on display when he could use his foot to steer. The racing is different now, and he isn't very good at it.

Of course it doesn't help that Hendrick has been in a slump, but at the very least the 48 should be outrunning their other 3 cars on a consistent basis. That's a simple benchmark that isn't being met. It isn't just the car. And this is coming from a die-hard JJ fan.

Last edited:
He stopped believing in Chad. Chad was the talent that kept Jimmie focused, until Jimmie's ego needed separation from Chad.

Jimmie looks like a confused old guy trying to maintain his grasp on the 18th rung
(I'll just post this here. :))

Jimmie blamed the car for coming up to block -- for him hitting the wall. THIS, from the in-car audio.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
As ‘good’ as chad knaus is... look at what he needs in the drivers seat.

There’s a narrative out there, that Jimmie is ‘nothing’ without chad. Well, what about chad without Jimmie?

Yeah Byron is young, but the end all be all chad knaus is still working on getting him in victory lane.

And to be honest, yes it probably is just a matter of time until William wins, but I’m just trying to look at this from all sides.

Losing a step is the price we pay for aging, some are able to deal with it better than others.

We should probably get a thread started for Kurt, and Brad, Ryan Newman and Clint too.

Losing a step is the price we pay for aging, some are able to deal with it better than others.

We should probably get a thread started for Kurt, and Brad, Ryan Newman and Clint too.
Ryan Newman? That man has stagnated for years.
Kurt and Brad are good.
Clint has been hot garbage this year.

Ryan Newman? That man has stagnated for years.
Kurt and Brad are good.
Clint has been hot garbage this year.
I don't think you got that was me poking fun at the current trend of "lost a step threads";)

I’m not sure if its aging by itself (eyesight is worse, reactions are slower, etc...) or more the fact that all new competition that enters sports are just higher talented athletes. I’ve written research papers about this concept including technology, sports medicines, genetics, and more and could go on for paragraphs on paragraphs. Long story short theres a scientific reason there is a Jeff Gordon to a Dale Earnhardt, a Jimmie Johnson to a Jeff Gordon, a LeBron to a Michael Jordon, a Tom Brady to a Joe Montana etc... It’s not just luck.

It might be another 10 years but if we think Jimmie Johnson’s 5 championships in a row is untouchable or Jeff Gordon’s wins/top 5s from 1995 - 2001 is unbeatable, think again.

What a depressing thread. I hope Jimmie, Ryan Newman, Kurt, etc stick around until they're beyond washed up.

Oh, and last I checked, Ryan & Kurt are actually doing pretty well.

I was hoping we could get another “Hey NASCAR..Listen to your fans” thread going

Back
Top Bottom