Hate to say I told you so.........

When did we as rednecks/hicks get so insecure? I mean come on. Projecting shame about the way tires get fastened to cars?
as the racing has started.......I havent even noticed they went to 1 lug. and I wouldnt have been upset if they stayed with whatever they had before which was 5. I dunno maybe its just me.

as the racing has started.......I havent even noticed they went to 1 lug. and I wouldnt have been upset if they stayed with whatever they had before which was 5. I dunno maybe its just me.
Likewise. They could have added a 6th lug nut for all I care lol

so basically what I'm hearing Stevens say here, is they just don't have a solution for it. because well how could you? it's not a design flaw, everything is working as it should, the problem is that it's 1 singular lug with no backup to keep it attached, pit crews are going to rush it and make mistakes that is what they do, nascar wasn't able to foresee that and see the beauty of what they already had?

this is a genuine safety concern, personally I was already pretty worried about seeing wheels bounce down the track and hope to heck nothing happens with that.

he cannot tell me that wheels are coming off at the same rate as 5-lug with the 18 car at Dover as an example, no way.

the problem is that it's 1 singular lug with no backup to keep it attached, pit crews are going to rush it and make mistakes that is what they do,
And yet other series have run single-lug for years without this issue. Pit crews can learn from their mistakes. Indeed, they already are. The loose wheel at COTA was the first one since Cali.

Nascar is between a rock and a hard place if they start screwing around with air jacks and/or slow fuel.

Remove all left hand threaded hubs and nuts from the left hand side of your fleet replace them with right hand threaded components.

Centre lock wheels have been in use for 75 years, give or take. You tighten the nuts AGAINST the direction of the wheel and tire.

Dumbest decision ever.

Remove all left hand threaded hubs and nuts from the left hand side of your fleet replace them with right hand threaded components.

Centre lock wheels have been in use for 75 years, give or take. You tighten the nuts AGAINST the direction of the wheel and tire.

Dumbest decision ever.
Yeah that's something I'll never understand. What was the point in using left hand threads in the 1st place then?

Dumbest decision ever.
LH wheels turn counter-clockwise which encourages the nut to loosen if threads are RH. Plus they have primarily had issues with RH side wheels falling off.

Why not? I'm really not understanding. MOPAR had LH nuts for many years.
It actually has to do with braking force.
If there is any slop at all the LH threaded nut on the driver's side will be encouraged to loosen under braking.
That being said............... it is peculiar that the majority of problems have been on the Right side of the cars.

this is incorrect.
Tell me which word/s are wrong. Which way is LH wheel rotating when vehicle is moving Forward?

1. Clock-wise.
2. Counter-clockwise?

Which way do you thread the nut on a RH thread, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

I really don't understand how people don't get this.

It actually has to do with braking force.
If there is any slop at all the LH threaded nut on the driver's side will be encouraged to loosen under braking.
That being said............... it is peculiar that the majority of problems have been on the Right side of the cars.
So let's say the wheel is spinning REALLY fast and stopped quickly. How does the speed it's stopped have an affect on the retaining nut? If any affect, if rotating CCW with RH threads, it's trying to loosen the nut.

Righty-tighty/lefty-loosey.

And yet other series have run single-lug for years without this issue. Pit crews can learn from their mistakes. Indeed, they already are. The loose wheel at COTA was the first one since Cali.

I think that's the other problem I have with it is why are we trying to be like other series? Why the attempt to eliminate differentiation? NASCAR prides itself on being the safest in motorsports, this was a small step in the opposite direction even if momentarily, for what reason or benefit was that done?

Maybe my memory is starting to go, I want to say LaJoie or someone had a wheel issue at Phoenix but not sure, just general feel from watching it's a noticeable uptick to me that I hope they get under control.

It's a longer discussion that the race on pit road in nascar is a different animal than any other series in motorsports, indeed pit crews will get better on it they have no choice (it's that or lose a wheel) at the same time they're always going to push it on speed of the stop if given the opportunity, unless they start making the fueling take longer than the tires to slow them down and increase efficiency on securing the wheel, maybe that's the direction they're headed? and maybe that's why they've shyed away from showing pit times? probably tin foil I do not know just talking it out here.

Y'all know far more than I in this area, and appreciate the expertise of opinion on it.

Tell me which word/s are wrong. Which way is LH wheel rotating when vehicle is moving Forward?

1. Clock-wise.
2. Counter-clockwise?

Which way do you thread the nut on a RH thread, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

I really don't understand how people don't get this.
I refuse to get into yet another argument with you.

Left side hubs are right hand threaded. The opposite is true on the right side. It has ever been thus.

So let's say the wheel is spinning REALLY fast and stopped quickly. How does the speed it's stopped have an affect on the retaining nut? If any affect, if rotating CCW with RH threads, it's trying to loosen the nut.

Righty-tighty/lefty-loosey.
What you are thinking is actually correct when it came to wagon axles and early automobiles with the same type of bearing to nut contact.
Also in those days the braking mechanism was applied to the wheel itself and not the axle thus causing another loosening effect to the axle nut.
I'm not sure of any explanation for why Chrysler stuck with that once the wheels were converted to any number of lug nuts more than one.
In today's racing cars there is no directional interaction between the nut and bearing and the forces of braking have been proven to be greater than the forces of acceleration on the interface of the nut to the wheel.

Discussion=argument in your world. That must be a sad life.
A factual discussion is not an argument.

Next time you look at a sprint car race on Flo watch the boys change tires in the work area.

While we are on the "told you so" subject, remember when I said racing at night at Martinsville was a bad idea? Most boring Martinsville race I can ever remember, and two of my favorites dominating the race doesn't change my opinion of it one bit. The other two races weren't anything to get thrilled about either. Just like Darlington, Martinsville needs warm sunshine on the track to give the kind of racing most of us want to see. Otherwise, you get what we had Saturday night, one groove follow the leader. I am also sticking to my position that if you want REALLY good racing, having only a couple engine/spoiler combinations is NOT enough. As much as nobody wants it or wants to admit it, the technology has just come too far for a one size fits all approach.

While we are on the "told you so" subject, remember when I said racing at night at Martinsville was a bad idea? Most boring Martinsville race I can ever remember, and two of my favorites dominating the race doesn't change my opinion of it one bit. The other two races weren't anything to get thrilled about either. Just like Darlington, Martinsville needs warm sunshine on the track to give the kind of racing most of us want to see. Otherwise, you get what we had Saturday night, one groove follow the leader. I am also sticking to my position that if you want REALLY good racing, having only a couple engine/spoiler combinations is NOT enough. As much as nobody wants it or wants to admit it, the technology has just come too far for a one size fits all approach.
Yeah 1 race with abnormal temps, a rain delay and the track not taking rubber is enough raw data to draw that conclusion. Said no one ever

Air jacks. Get all 4 off the ground at same time. Since fuel takes longer, not allowed to drop jack until fueling is finished.
If they're wanting to go to the sports car/Euro modality in all this, you're right. Commit and go the whole way with air jacks.

Yeah 1 race with abnormal temps, a rain delay and the track not taking rubber is enough raw data to draw that conclusion. Said no one ever
This. Night racing at Martinsville would be awesome... in the summer.

Dumbest decision ever.
But...but...what happens if a car is flipping with the wheels spinning and it stays upside down long enough to reverse the clock wise/counter clock laws?

...or even worse if it is spiral flipping (sideways) car wouldn't it side-pitch the wheels when they come loose. Dodging a curve ball loose wheel is a lot tougher and more dangerous imo.

But...but...what happens if a car is flipping with the wheels spinning and it stays upside down long enough to reverse the clock wise/counter clock laws?

...or even worse if it is spiral flipping (sideways) car wouldn't it side-pitch the wheels when they come loose. Dodging a curve ball loose wheel is a lot tougher and more dangerous imo.
Can't happen. DW's vortex theory prevents it.

A weak swirltex is all I have seen out of them. It takes a bonified oval to bring on the vor, but you also need lots of wind and nobody does it better than Waltrip.
Needs a spread out field as well to create the alternating current that's essential to maintain the vortex.

Most think that the size at Daytona makes the vortex an impossibile situation, but the draft itself or pack racing creates an impossibile digital (on/off) phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom