Hate to say I told you so.........

Not you. I didnt see a word out of you about cold, track not taking rubber and rain until I just brought it up Mr Monday Morning Crew Chief.

To be fair, the date of the spring Martinsville race has been a target of criticism for years, especially after it was snowed out in '18 and delayed to Monday (I was there). Moving the date from late March to early April doesn't help much when you elect to run after dark. I think if they run this race on a Saturday night in June, it's probably a sellout.

To be fair, the date of the spring Martinsville race has been a target of criticism for years, especially after it was snowed out in '18 and delayed to Monday (I was there). Moving the date from late March to early April doesn't help much when you elect to run after dark. I think if they run this race on a Saturday night in June, it's probably a sellout.
All true, just letting Mr I told you so know he's not the prognosticator he thinks he is. Spring race at Martinsville has always been a crap shoot.

All true, just letting Mr I told you so know he's not the prognosticator he thinks he is. Spring race at Martinsville has always been a crap shoot.
Both Martinsville dates are terrible for weather. Fall date is getting better because it seems like these seasons are later now, hot in the fall, warm in early winter, cold in late winter and spring.

Which takes a bad idea and makes it even worse. My point is they could run run this thing at night on July 4th, and it it STILL wouldn't be as good as a warm day race. Running it in April with this car with this package on this tire was an absolute receipe for a boring result. There seems to be a total disconnect of logic on things like this in Daytona Beach and in Akron. I have come to the conclusion that if you EVER had to concede a SINGLE point to me you would just burst into flames.

Which takes a bad idea and makes it even worse. My point is they could run run this thing at night on July 4th, and it it STILL wouldn't be as good as a warm day race. Running it in April with this car with this package on this tire was an absolute receipe for a boring result. There seems to be a total disconnect of logic on things like this in Daytona Beach and in Akron. I have come to the conclusion that if you EVER had to concede a SINGLE point to me you would just burst into flames.
Show me the post where you said that.

Needs a spread out field as well to create the alternating current that's essential to maintain the vortex.

Most think that the size at Daytona makes the vortex an impossibile situation, but the draft itself or pack racing creates an impossibile digital (on/off) phenomenon.
That’s some deep stuff.

I lost track; would someone remind me how many wheels came off at Martinsville Saturday night?

Good Job! It seems they've got a handle on it quickly, I'm still a little worried once we get to some of these other high speed tracks and when damage happens, but much of my concern has been put to bed.

Needs a spread out field as well to create the alternating current that's essential to maintain the vortex.

Most think that the size at Daytona makes the vortex an impossibile situation, but the draft itself or pack racing creates an impossibile digital (on/off) phenomenon.

just as a sidenote, a new addition to the Main vortex's battery backup runs purely on dw hybrid energy now, if they happen to get bunched up.

I always wondered about the Digital Phenomenon as the concept piece of young France', a pioneer in this arena, pre-dating the waltrip vortox charter modal era, doesn't get enough credit.

I hesitate to even comment in this thread, however I heard something interesting and thought I’d share.

Skip Flores (changer for the #2) said on Corey Lojoies “stacking pennies” podcast that the gun can get the lug nut very very tight, can overtighten the nut which in turn takes longer to get off It off. So guys are trying to not tighten it so much, which is causing the wheels coming off.

I hesitate to even comment in this thread, however I heard something interesting and thought I’d share.

Skip Flores (changer for the #2) said on Corey Lojoies “stacking pennies” podcast that the gun can get the lug nut very very tight, can overtighten the nut which in turn takes longer to get off It off. So guys are trying to not tighten it so much, which is causing the wheels coming off.
You're supposed to say, I hate to tell you so but I told you guys months ago and not one of you believed me that crews weren't tightening the lug nuts and any !#$$@ idiot knew they would do that.

This is a good comment, thanks for sharing. I thought it was insightful and something I’m going to find out More about. But you’re missing something....and Stand On It already alluded to it...you’re supposed to remind everyone of you were always right and tell us we are idiots for never listening. But in all seriousness...good stuff.

Isn't this a question of torque? Isn't that adjustable on the gun?
I imagine its like pretty much any impact, they have a torque curve. The more you let it hammer the more it tightens. You wouldn't want to decrease the pressure to lower the torque because that would slow the rpm's of the gun down. So to control the torque they're trying to control the number of times the gun hammers.

I imagine its like pretty much any impact, they have a torque curve. The more you let it hammer the more it tightens. You wouldn't want to decrease the pressure to lower the torque because that would slow the rpm's of the gun down. So to control the torque they're trying to control the number of times the gun hammers.
Thanks. I've never used an impact tool.

If I haven't had reason to use one by now, I doubt I'll have reason to every do so.

I'm not sure what was funny; I was quite serious.
I'm sorry I wasnt making fun of you. I hope it didnt come off like that, sometimes the way you post I get a chuckle out of it. I know I took it the wrong way when I first started posting here, I didnt mean harm.

I'm sorry I wasnt making fun of you. I hope it didnt come off like that, sometimes the way you post I get a chuckle out of it. I know I took it the wrong way when I first started posting here, I didnt mean harm.
No, you didn't come across that way at all. I just saw the :) reaction and wondered what inspired it. That's all, no offense taken, you sumbich.

There have been, what, three loose wheels this year? LOL.

Single nut doesn't cause that. Someone not tightening the nut does.
As I incorrectly recall, there were maybe five runaway or broken wheels in the first three races, then none until one at COTA. Learning curve, same as Hamlin breaking a transmission when he forgot the new pattern.

I would guess 100-200 ftlbs of torque would suffice provided the rim is flat against the flange. Probablly almost no torque needed as threads would want to keep tightening slightly while driving on their own..I'm sure if the rim isn't seated it comes off almost immediately (wobbling) leaving little chance to slow down. All just guessing.

My concern is out of bed with a cup of coffee after what I saw yesterday, I mean a tire/wheel big bouncing on pit road waiting to get projectile launched into a pit box, it's completely ridiculous that NASCAR is blaming this on the teams and fining/suspending people for it, when it's their change that has caused the entire fiasco. The 43 wheel welded on ruined their points day. It continues to be a nightmare with no upside. The teams have done the best they can do with what they've been given.

My concern is out of bed with a cup of coffee after what I saw yesterday, I mean a tire/wheel big bouncing on pit road waiting to get projectile launched into a pit box, it's completely ridiculous that NASCAR is blaming this on the teams and fining/suspending people for it, when it's their change that has caused the entire fiasco. The 43 wheel welded on ruined their points day. It continues to be a nightmare with no upside. The teams have done the best they can do with what they've been given.
Nothing to see here.gif

What happened to the 43 was dumb luck. But something like that wouldn't have happened with 5 lug nuts. If NASCAR wants to be king of "stock car" racing, they need to leave the stock components alone as much as they can. That includes staying with 5 lugs.

Did the nut cross-thread? Hard to believe it was torqued so tight it couldn't be untorqued.

I think the Gen is a great car a definite improvement and a sucess story. But I do think they should go back to five lugs.
At the end of the day the reasons for having more loose wheels isn't as important as the increased risk.
I just don't want to see a loose flying wheel kill somebody.

Only thing I think for sure is going to happen for the rest of this season is the constant whining about the damn single lug. Nascar will probably fix it for next season would be my guess. Possibility they won't do a thing also, a whole new design would be needed probably.

I think the Gen is a great car a definite improvement and a sucess story. But I do think they should go back to five lugs.
At the end of the day the reasons for having more loose wheels isn't as important as the increased risk.
I just don't want to see a loose flying wheel kill somebody.
I wish they would have stayed with 5 but to go back now will cost a crap load of money.

Only thing I think for sure is going to happen for the rest of this season is the constant whining about the damn single lug. Nascar will probably fix it for next season would be my guess. Possibility they won't do a thing also, a whole new design would be needed probably.
I dont think they are going back

Back
Top Bottom