Hendrick Motorsport News

Now Gordon has to manage both of them lol. Walking the tightrope.
The half witted gerbils acting like it was Blaney's fault Larson wrecked. This season is hilarious in spots.

I just saw a mind-blowing stat. Larson has as many wins as he does DNF's since joining Hendrick. That's right, a whooping 17 DNF's. He needs to take care of that if he wants to continue to succeed.
Fixed. :rolleyes:

The stat just hammers home the point that as great as Larson is, he can be quite sloppy too. My guess is the majority of those 17 DNF's were self inflicted, just like Sunday. In this format though, it's not near as important as it once was, and I find that sad. 17 DNF's in three seasons is big deal to ME.

In the old full season format, Larson would be around 8th or 9th in points. He's definitely helped by this format.

What format? Have you researched all of NASCAR's Championship formats?

I've actually looked at a couple:
  • There's actually a good Twitter account that is tracking this season using the old Latford system:
    • Larson would be 8th under that format.
  • Someone on Reddit calculated the current year's points using the 1973 format:
    • Larson would be 8th under that format as well.

I just saw a mind-blowing stat. Larson has as many wins as he does DNF's since joining Hendrick. That's right, a whooping 17 DNF's. He needs to take care of that if he wants to succeed.

What's mind blowing about it? The fact that it's much better than nearly every other driver? What drivers have more wins than dnfs?

What's mind blowing about it? The fact that it's much better than nearly every other driver? What drivers have more wins than dnfs?
I don't follow DNF's much, so I thought that number was a little high. I was really surprised when I saw Elliott's DNF number, but that is for his whole career. Even if Larson has that many wins, 17 DNF's is way too much imo. He's the true definition of checkers or wreckers.

DNFs are definitely going to be higher the last few years since they implemented the crash clock. A lot of cars would come back many laps down back in the day and not get a DNF while today those cars are parked.

For a DNF stat to mean much to me I would have to know how many were caused by mechanical failure and other drivers boneheaded mistakes and of said drivers mistakes like last Sunday.

I don't follow DNF's much, so I thought that number was a little high. I was really surprised when I saw Elliott's DNF number, but that is for his whole career. Even if Larson has that many wins, 17 DNF's is way too much imo. He's the true definition of checkers or wreckers.

Kind of a real life Ricky Bobby, which this format seems to reward. You can DNF every race but as long as you get a win, you're in the playoffs. You can then DNF 2 out of 3 races per round, but as long as you win one you keep advancing.

Drivers respond to incentives. Larson might be more careful if we had a season long format. But Larson has a career long tendency to overdrive equipment and get himself into trouble so I don't know if he'd make the adjustment.

Kind of a real life Ricky Bobby, which this format seems to reward. You can DNF every race but as long as you get a win, you're in the playoffs. You can then DNF 2 out of 3 races per round, but as long as you win one you keep advancing.

Drivers respond to incentives. Larson might be more careful if we had a season long format. But Larson has a career long tendency to overdrive equipment and get himself into trouble so I don't know if he'd make the adjustment.
That’s where a good crew chief comes in. He will help keep the driver in check when needed.

15 DNF's & 7 wins since the start of 2022. He can make up for it by winning the title, but that's a lot of wrecked race cars. I do acknowledge that he's had terrible luck at times this year though. He only had 2 DNF's in his championship season. I think that's closer to the norm for him.
Just making’ stuff up now.
Sorry, those 30 DNF's aren't for his whole career?

15 DNF's & 7 wins since the start of 2022. He can make up for it by winning the title, but that's a lot of wrecked race cars. I do acknowledge that he's had terrible luck at times this year though. He only had 2 DNF's in his championship season. I think that's closer to the norm for him.

Sorry, those 30 DNF's aren't for his whole career?

You act like all the other drivers have more wins than dnfs. What drivers have better wins/DNF stats than Larson? I would wager very few.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to any format except the one being used because the drivers might change there strategies and just how aggressive they might be driving the car at times with a different format.
Exactly...this also would apply to point penalties so the crying about Martin finishing second in 1990 makes no sense to me.

Tony Stewart on Race Hub today was asked who he thought was going to win the cup. Without a pause he said Larson. He said big races don't phase him.

Tony Stewart on Race Hub today was asked who he thought was going to win the cup. Without a pause he said Larson. He said big races don't phase him.
Tbf, while I fully believe Byron is the best and most deserving this year and a future multi time champion, and he has finally broken out and proven it, I'll admit he may still not be quite ready. As was said last year with Bell in the final 4, they have to lose one to really learn how win one. This is kind of feeling like that now for Byron honestly, so no surprise if Larson wins. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Tbf, while I fully believe Byron is the best and most deserving this year and a future multi time champion, and he has finally broken out and proven it, I'll admit he may still not be quite ready. As was said last year with Bell in the final 4, they have to lose one to really learn how win one. This is kind of feeling like that now for Byron honestly, so no surprise if Larson wins. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Hard to disgree with your logic.
But Larson seems to have the momentum and speed advantage. I think he has to have Homestead type of moment to lose it.

Hard to disgree with your logic.
But Larson seems to have the momentum and speed advantage. I think he has to have Homestead type of moment to lose it.
Lack of mistakes. He has the fastest pit crew and they need to be flawless also. Larson won the spring Martinsville so they have a good book on the track this week. He's a threat to win that race.

There are also very few drivers in Larson’s league talent wise. He should be held to a higher standard.
I agree. If you're going to tell me every day how great he is, then I expect fewer unforced errors. I have always been very hard on drivers and teams making dumb mistakes, whether they are my favorites or not. One of the things I have always preached since my days as a youth baseball player; "Don't EVER beat yourself. Make your opponent go out and beat you".

The Hendrick cars have the speed this year. Rudy is a good crew chief for Byron. I think Byron needs a bit more aggression. He is going to have to take it away from Larson or whoever is in the way at Phoenix.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to any format except the one being used because the drivers might change there strategies and just how aggressive they might be driving the car at times with a different format.
^^ This all day everyday

^^ This all day everyday
Yeah this format, win and you are in, was designed to reward hard racing. It weeds out pretty fairly drivers who got a lucky win in the regular season by the eliminations in the lower rounds. The downside for some holding on to the nostalgic past formats is that it pretty much wiped out the who is the GOAT ratings by this new format. There are a number of sheets on the web of the "old" points system rankings.

If one of the final four with a weaker record wins the title, many fans will be ready to burn this format at the stake. I have mixed feelings about it, but I had mixed feelings about the other scoring systems. I really like the hard racing set ups this new format has.

The counter to that is that the win and you're in format leads to the kind of idiocy we saw yesterday. I will maintain until my last breath that the ONLY problem with the Latford System is that it didn't reward wins, top fives and top tens enough, and that could be fixed over a long lunch.

The counter to that is that the win and you're in format leads to the kind of idiocy we saw yesterday. I will maintain until my last breath that the ONLY problem with the Latford System is that it didn't reward wins, top fives and top tens enough, and that could be fixed over a long lunch.
The counter to that is I'm glad you are answering for yourself. When you look at the stands today just say to yourself, look at all of these idiots in the stands and at home watching this race, it will give ya a false sense of superiority from your recliner . lol. Remember when you are pointing a finger at them, you have four other fingers pointing back at you.

There were a hell of a lot more people in those stands and watching it on TV when the were doing it the way I would prefer.

Here is a pretty good behind the scenes look at what a truck driver for HMS does.

What a cool dude, great vid. I knew truck drivers were the unheralded MVP’s of teams but seeing it in action…that dude is a Swiss Army knife

Not true. But you do the research
What are you talking about? Most of the tracks have torn down a third or more of their grandstands and Still can't sell out, and TV numbers are nowhere near what they were in the early 2000's. MIS for instance took about about 1/3 of a mile of grandstands that were full TWICE a year 20 years ago.

Not true. But you do the research
Trolls will go back 20 years into the make believe to make a point lol. Go back a couple more and Nascar was a shadow of what it was, add 5 years and it was over the hump and falling until they got rid of ol' Brian. I wonder why they don't compare to those times lol?

Back
Top Bottom