Homestead - FORD 400 - Pre Race Thread

If I didn't have a number one favorite driver I'd be loving this Chase Format right now. Once I get over my disappointment regarding what happened with the 24 I'll be pretty excited to watch this race.
I guess I can understand that. I'm a few weeks beyond my driver being eliminated. His win @ Martinsville was certainly some good medicine for many of us Jr. fans. Maybe you'll be repaid with a Gordon victory this weekend?

I guess I can understand that. I'm a few weeks beyond my driver being eliminated. His win @ Martinsville was certainly some good medicine for many of us Jr. fans. Maybe you'll be repaid with a Gordon victory this weekend?

That would be cool. They have the team and car to get it done, for sure. But on the other hand, the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" would be even worse. All this would be easier if I were less invested in my driver and this sport. haha

Both Jr and Brad got eliminated, but I'm really pumped for this race weekend, Crafton is on his way to a 2nd championship , Chase won the championship, and We will have a new champion this year, should be a great race weekend

If Harvick or Newman win the championship on Sunday, it would be the first time in 33 years that a driver wins the championship in the first year with their team. Darrell Waltrip was the last to do it in 1981, his first year with Junior Johnson.

Won't be long and this place will be full of activity.

B2VN-EYCQAEj0ID.jpg:large

This may have been posted and I missed it.

Grandstands, premium seating sold out for Ford Ecoboost 400: Homestead-Miami Speedway President Matthew Becherer announced that the grandstands are sold out for the Ford EcoBoost 400 on Sunday, November 16 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In addition, premium seating areas in Champions Club, Speedway Club and the Pit Box are sold out as well.

http://www.jayski.com/news/tracks/story/_/page/homestead-miami-speedway

This may have been posted and I missed it.

Grandstands, premium seating sold out for Ford Ecoboost 400: Homestead-Miami Speedway President Matthew Becherer announced that the grandstands are sold out for the Ford EcoBoost 400 on Sunday, November 16 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In addition, premium seating areas in Champions Club, Speedway Club and the Pit Box are sold out as well.

http://www.jayski.com/news/tracks/story/_/page/homestead-miami-speedway
It has been but it never hurts to repost that. Very cool. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue.

GO HARVICK.

Just an observation but I think that this is the first time that I've ever seen more bots than members logged in. Especially during the middle of the day.

Even the truck race might be decent. Larson is entered, so him and rowdy should put on a good show. Crafton has the championship locked up

Im still hoping someone can find out when the last time it was sold out
Quick attendance research for the past 10 years @ Homestead.....

2013 Not reported
2012 76,000
2011 73,000
2010 67,000
2009 70,000
2008 80,000
2007 80,000
2006 80,000
2005 75,000
2004 80,000

I don't know the true capacity but it looks like 80,000 was the max over the past 10, repeated four times. The last being 2008.

Quick attendance research for the past 10 years @ Homestead.....

2013 Not reported
2012 76,000
2011 73,000
2010 67,000
2009 70,000
2008 80,000
2007 80,000
2006 80,000
2005 75,000
2004 80,000

I don't know the true capacity but it looks like 80,000 was the max over the past 10, repeated four times. The last being 2008.

Thanks. So most likely been 6 years since they last sold out Homestead.

Thanks. So most likely been 6 years since they last sold out Homestead.
Grandstand capacity has been between 55,000-65,000 for several years, although sometimes (like in 2006) they added temporary seating because it sold out so early. Those figures probably include infield numbers too.

I guess I should have joined the hate the chase bunch eh? how the heck did a Toyota get into the final four and a chance to win their first championship. Oh the unfairness of it all, give me my sword so I can fall on it. :biggrin: Nah Hamlin is second to Newman IMO about doing more with less this year, he earned his spot...but I ain't pulling for him, he's gone just about far enough. -_-

The bigger question is....How the hell did all four Hendrick cars miss out? ....oh, wait, there's Harvick.....he's a Hendrick driver isn't he?

Its going to be a bittersweet ending to the season. The fact the racing season in general is done, but also this is Marcos Ambrose's last race in NASCAR. I'll miss the guy as he's been great to watch over the years and I wish nothing but success as he returns to Australia back to V8 Supercars. A great gentlemen, but tough as nails and very talented. I think everyone will remember the "Punch From Down Under" to Casey Mears.

Thank you for the excitement over the years Marcos! Jamie Whincup needs to competition badly.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 14:

ON TRACK
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 12:30-2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 2:45 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 4-5:55 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series final practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 6:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, ESPN2 (Follow live)
-- 8 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Ford EcoBoost 200 (134 laps, 201 miles), FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM PRESENTED BY MOBIL 1 (Watch live)
-- 11 a.m.: Nationwide Series
-- noon: Sprint Cup Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 11 a.m.: NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France
-- 2:30 p.m.: NASCAR Hall of Famers Dale Jarrett and Rusty Wallace talk Championship 4
-- 7:15 p.m. (approx): NSCS Post Qualifying Press Conference with all Championship 4 drivers
-- 10:15 p.m. (approx.): NCWTS Post Race Press Conference

#4-Kevin Harvick will utilize Chassis No. 850 this weekend. Harvick raced this Budweiser chassis multiple times this season, including the following races: Auto Club Speedway (36th), the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race (second), Kentucky (seventh) and Bristol (August - 11th). The #4 Budweiser team also utilized this car during a two-day test at Homestead last month (Oct. 28-20). Harvick has 13 prior NSCS starts at the 1.5-mile track. He has earned five top fives and 11 top-10 finishes. Harvick has led a total of 136 laps at Homestead and has an average start of 14.0 and an average finish of 8.1 there.

#11-Denny Hamlin: chassis not reported on race preview.

#22-Joey Logano: will drive Primary Chassis PRS-923 at Homestead, which last ran at Chicago in September and finished 4th. The backup chassis is PRS-903 which was last used as a backup at Texas in Nov.

#31-Ryan Newman will drive chassis No. 486 in Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series finale at Homestead. This Caterpillar chassis was utilized earlier this season at Kansas where the #31 team started 17th and finished sixth. In 12 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts, Newman owns one top-five and four top-10 finishes. His average start is 12.4 and average finish is 17. He's led 143 laps in competition. Newman's 11th-place finish at Phoenix advanced the #31 team to the Championship Round at Homestead. Newman is in a four-way tie for the lead heading into the season finale with 5,000 points.

Ahh, the good old days when FOX Sports 1 was the end of NASCAR.

Fox Sports 1 gears up for 21 hours of NASCAR Championship Week Coverage: FOX Sports wraps a riveting 2014 NASCAR season next week with 21 hours of live coverage surrounding the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship from Homestead-Miami Speedway. FOX Sports 1 delivers comprehensive and live NASCAR Championship Week programming beginning Monday, Nov. 10, highlighted by NASCAR Race Hun's live coverage of Wednesday's Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Press Conference from Miami, live telecasts of on-track activity across the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Nationwide Series and NASCAR Ccamping World Truck Series from Homestead beginning Friday, Nov. 14, and live presentation of Friday's Truck Series season finale (8:00pm/et).

Highlights of FOX Sports 1's coverage of Championship Week include:

· Special two-hour NASCAR Rrace Hub (Wednesday from 5:00-7:00pm/et) - includes live coverage of the Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship Press Conference from Miami, featuring the four drivers competing for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship and their respective car owners. Bob Dillner reports live from the Trump National Doral in Miami. John Roberts and Danielle Trotta co-host in-studio with analysis from Ray Dunlap.

· Thursday's NASCAR Race Hub (5:00-6:00 pm/et) delivers coverage of the NASCAR Nationwide Series/NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Championship Press Conferences from Homestead-Miami Speedway, featuring the drivers, owners and crew chiefs battling for the Nationwide and Truck Series championships. Ray Dunlap reports from Homestead, with John Roberts and Danielle Trotta co-hosting in-studio and Matt Clark alongside with analysis.

· Live coverage of Friday's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season finale from Homestead on FOX Sports 1 (8:00pm/et), with pre-race coverage beginning at 7:30 PM ET with NCWTS Setup.

· Sunday's NASCAR Raceday (12:00pm/et) on FOX Sports 1 features sit-down interviews with all four Championship Round drivers; a "Chase War Room" roundtable discussion among NASCAR on FOX analysts, who break down the season finale and debate the four championship contenders; and an essay on the prestige of being a champion, related from the perspective of stars across various sports. Adam Alexander, Larry McReynolds, Bob Dillner and Rutledge Wood are live from Homestead, with John Roberts, Jeff Hammond and Kenny Wallace in-studio in Charlotte, N.C.

· Complete post-race and championship coverage on NASCAR Victory Lane (7:00pm/et) on Sunday, Nov. 16 on FOX Sports 1. Alexander, McReynolds and Dillner deliver the latest from Homestead, with Roberts, Hammond and Wallace in-studio in Charlotte.(FoxSports)

All these updates on whats going on (and receiving a Homestead APP update on events) has gotten me excited. Cant wait for the race sunday. But hope to do more entire weekend experiences in the future when my son is old enough to go.

Here’s a look at the Ford 400 championship race by the numbers:

0 — The number of Cup championships combined for the four finalists. Also, the number of wins this year for Ryan Newman.

1 — This is the first year of the new format, where it all comes down to one race. Kevin Harvick, Denny Hamlin, Newman and Joey Logano all start with the same number of points and the first one to cross the finish line wins the title.

3 — The number of the four finalists who have tested at Homestead in recent weeks. Newman is the only one who didn’t. “Some of our best races this year have been places that we didn’t test at,” Newman said. “And some of the most confusing weekends we’ve had have been at places we did test at.”

4 — The number of top-fives this year for Newman. If he wins the title, it will be the fewest top-fives for a champ since NASCAR’s inaugural season in 1949, when there were only eight drivers.

5 — The number of wins this year for Logano, the most of any finalist. Harvick has four while Hamlin has one (and as noted earlier, Newman has none).

8.077 — The average finish of Harvick at Homestead, the best of any of the finalists. The others: Hamlin (11.22), Newman (17.0) and Logano (20.8).

10 — The number of times in 15 races that the Homestead winner has started in the top 10.

11 — The number of times Harvick has finished ahead of Hamlin, Logano and Newman in a race this year. Logano has been the best of the final four in 10 racees, while Hamlin has been the best in eight and Newman the best in six.

14 — The number of starts for Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Homestead, the most of any active driver without a win at the track. Earnhardt will be running his final race with crew chief Steve Letarte.

24 — Age of Joey Logano, who would be the third-youngest Cup champion in history if he wins the title. The ages of the others: Hamlin (33), Newman (36), Harvick (38).

28 — The number of laps of the final green-flag run to finish the Cup race last year. Homestead is known for long green-flag runs to end the race: In 2012, there were 106 consecutive green-flag laps before the checkered flag. In 2011, it was a 37-lap run; in 2010, it was just a 17-lap run; and in 2009 it was a 46-lap green-flag run.

400.5 — The length of the race, in miles (267 laps), barring any green-white-checkered finishes.

2,083 — The number of laps led this year by Harvick, more than doubling any of the other Chase drivers: Logano (993), Hamlin (313), Newman (41).

46,000 — The grandstand capacity at Homestead, which is sold out for the event. The lowest grandstand capacity of any oval track on the circuit, Homestead does have 66 suites that are not included in that number.

from here

@JennaFryer

"We'd be delighted if Richard Childress and Ryan Newman pull it off... They are the underdog," France says.

@MartySmithESPN

France: We don’t want a Chase system that ignores consistency. This isn’t a basketball tournament.

@dustinlong

Brian France -- on aggressive racing: "There is a line. Hard tight racing is what we expect."

@MartySmithESPN

There will be aggression limits on Sunday, France said. Per usual, those limits will be NASCAR’s discretion based on context etc.

NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France will speak with the media in 5 minutes. Watch live here

edit..... On now

If you listened to this, it seems as if Brian France isn't gonna change the points system. "I don't care, frankly", if a champion is gonna go without winning any races. "There's always gonna be a balance of consistency."

I guess people have their own opinions about how a champion will be crowned. Problem is, one person; the head honchos, whatever, decide one system to please everyone instead of deciding to alternate between systems. That's what I think, at least.

Back
Top Bottom