If you wreck you are out

If I toast my tranny and in the process tap the wall and need repairs what happens? Do I go back to the garage and have my team replace the tranny then push my car out onto pit road in order to repair the body?

I am fine with these, except the last statement. "Mechanical failures can be rectified so long as they are not a result of an accident"

In my opinion this is way to subjective and opens the door for some very questionable decisions.

First, what is an accident? Does the yellow flag have to be displayed for an accident? Is a spin that goes into the grass an accident? What if the spin is a 360 on the track and the caution does not come out? What if a driver hits some debris?

Second what is a "mechanical failure"?

Third, how can NASCAR factually determine that a mechanical failure is the result of an accident? What if the mechanical failure caused the accident, that's OK?

If I toast my tranny and in the process tap the wall and need repairs what happens? Do I go back to the garage and have my team replace the tranny then push my car out onto pit road in order to repair the body?
Same question I had about a blown tire taking out a fender. Are these repairs covered as mechanical failures or accidents? How long do I have, what repairs can I make, and where can I do them?

I like the idea overall, but once again we're looking at another of this off-season's changes that doesn't appear to have been fully thought about. Maybe these questions have been answered but not announced? Nah. I think the theory is that if they make a whole slew of dramatic changes at the same time, some of them will get overlooked in the confusion.

Has there been an off-season with this many changes since Winston took over ('71?)?

Wrong and wrong.

I will let Aunty and others take up the cost saving battle with you but I am on good ground with the rolling billboard scenario. Mars/M&M's does not want to see the 18 car retire early when in 20 minutes it could be back on track advertising.

Can you imagine a case with a sponsor like Zest who is on a car maybe 3 times a year getting knocked out early in a race a couple of times? That would sure make someone think twice before cutting a 7 figure check.

I am fine with these, except the last statement. "Mechanical failures can be rectified so long as they are not a result of an accident"

In my opinion this is way to subjective and opens the door for some very questionable decisions.

First, what is an accident? Does the yellow flag have to be displayed for an accident? Is a spin that goes into the grass an accident? What if the spin is a 360 on the track and the caution does not come out? What if a driver hits some debris?

Second what is a "mechanical failure"?

Third, how can NASCAR factually determine that a mechanical failure is the result of an accident? What if the mechanical failure caused the accident, that's OK?

If I blow up my tranny because I missed a shift is that a part failure or an accident?

Same question I had about a blown tire taking out a fender. Are these repairs covered as mechanical failures or accidents? How long do I have, what repairs can I make, and where can I do them?

I like the idea overall, but once again we're looking at another of this off-season's changes that doesn't appear to have been fully thought about. Maybe these questions have been answered but not announced? Nah. I think the theory is that if they make a whole slew of dramatic changes at the same time, some of them will get overlooked in the confusion.

Has there been an off-season with this many changes since Winston took over ('71?)?

I know just what you mean. If a car has been out on old tires for quite some time is it a tire failure that caused it to shred or is because the team was driving on worn tires and should have known that the tire could blow at any time?

Yeah, Mikey. We're out because the right side window blew out 'n Spencer ran over it...............................

On purpose.

Was that before or after Mr. Excitement threw out his water bottle?

Reactions: Pat
hank-kimball.jpg
Too easy.

I think the next move that will have to happen is instant replay where the race is red flagged. Nascar tells me I blowed up my tranny cuz I missed a shift but I say the dadgummed thing laid down on me. After careful inspection of video replays a decision will be made either tossing me from the race or allowing me to go back to the garage and make repairs and then push my care back to pit road to make body repairs......unless I can make simultaneous repairs to body and mechanical in the garage.......

Race teams being as clever as they are - I can see how they might use a minor contact to do work on the car, maybe work that might not pass inspection. I wonder how NASCAR will be able to police repairs.

Can teams work on the setup between segments?

"Under the guidelines, teams no longer will be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs, such as fixing damaged sheet metal, will be allowed; however, teams will be given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Also, if the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race."

Wow.

I like it. 5 minutes should be plenty enough time to hammer out a fender. No more replacing body parts is good as well.

So this kills any advantage to using composite panels in the future, right? I can live with that.

Also like the penalty for speeding taking away time but I can see a driver getting real pissed if they are taken out of the race because a crew member came over the wall that shouldn't have.

I don't listen to Junior's radio any more, but I used to have it blasting the living room during every race. Sometimes he would leave the mike on when they took it to the garage. It was like being a fly on the wall. I guess no one will care what they are doing in the garage anymore because they will be loading the car onto the hauler.

On the surface, I like this rule. If teams figure out ways around it, then I might change my mind. No sense in having wrecked cars out there riding around.

The talk about what is an accident, I'm sure they'll have a cleared definition of that by the 500. Mechanical failure is fairly explanitory. But a blown tire is different. I think if you blow a tire and don't hit the wall or another car, they will deem that a mechanical failure. Hit the wall or another car, it will be called an accident.

On the surface, I like this rule. If teams figure out ways around it, then I might change my mind. No sense in having wrecked cars out there riding around.

The talk about what is an accident, I'm sure they'll have a cleared definition of that by the 500. Mechanical failure is fairly explanitory. But a blown tire is different. I think if you blow a tire and don't hit the wall or another car, they will deem that a mechanical failure. Hit the wall or another car, it will be called an accident.

Will be at least as clear as defining an NFL catch.

When I was messin' with it, jack stands were required anytime/anywhere one had to get under it. Time or extent of damage didn't matter.

Would this also have the effect of limiting the size of the mechanics teams to 6? Why have a road team bigger than that if you can't send them over the wall?

I will let Aunty and others take up the cost saving battle with you but I am on good ground with the rolling billboard scenario. Mars/M&M's does not want to see the 18 car retire early when in 20 minutes it could be back on track advertising.

Can you imagine a case with a sponsor like Zest who is on a car maybe 3 times a year getting knocked out early in a race a couple of times? That would sure make someone think twice before cutting a 7 figure check.

Yes, because there's soooooo much media exposure value in running 38th 25 laps down...

Looks like Danica can kiss her low DNF stats goodbye.

So this kills any advantage to using composite panels in the future, right? I can live with that.

The only advantage to composite panels is that NASCAR gets a cut of the Five-Star sales.

The first time Dale Jr. wrecks this rule will get overturned,this from a Jr. fan.

I have not formed an opinion of this latest change but NASCAR needs to slow down as non stop change is indicative of desperation and lack of stability. I will say it seems awfully odd that NASCAR would worry about parts flying off cars causing cautions when often times they call a caution for thin air.

Back
Top Bottom