Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

As a native Hoosier, I'll state that May is a rotten month to have an Indy Car event in Indiana, but they have been doing it that way for 103 years, and somehow the world has not come to an end.
May is nice weather in the Midwest at least that’s IMO

May is nice weather in the Midwest at least that’s IMO

The last 40 years or so, May has been very cool and rainy in Indiana. In fact, Labor Day is often the FIRST truly warm weekend of the year. IF it doesn't rain. The year I graduated from high school (1985) I went on a school camping trip to southern Indiana in the middle of May. We nearly froze to death. By Memorial Day, it was 92 degrees. On June 7th this year, myself and some of my friends ran a leg of the Hot Rod Power Tour from Indy to Fort Wayne. The HIGH temp for the day was 57 degrees, and it rained off and on for 12 hours and there was a cold wind blowing. It felt about 35 degrees.

I’am unfamiliar with hurricanes because we don’t have hurricanes in Chicago. I just wanted to state my credentials or lack thereof.
As long as we're getting things on the record, I've posted here many times the Darlington race should have been left on Mothers' Day. I say that not because of the infrequent hurricanes (which don't happen often enough to be worth rescheduling) but because the temperatures are just nicer. Also, in May the sun isn't in your face in Brasington Tower for the first third of the race.

Regardless of where the series is on any given weekend, there's a chance some form of weather will interrupt it. When that happens, there's a 100% chance someone will bitch about it, say NASCAR should have seen it coming, and swap the date with another track that's likely had problems of its own within the last several years. More often they just say the race date should be moved with no suggestion of when it should be run. No matter how you juggle the schedule, some tracks are going to have summer dates in the heat and thunderstorms and tornadoes and hurricanes and fires. Some are going to have spring dates and get showers and snow and melt and floods. Unless you have money tied up in tickets and reservations, suck it up. None of us are going to die if a race is postponed.

The key thing with Daytona moving is that it could be a lot harder to re-schedule the event should things like states of emergency and evacuations come into play. We’re talking about things like having emergency personnel re-assigned days in advance and the track being used as a staging site for emergency operations. It’s not just like a late afternoon summer storm where you can show up the next day and run with relative ease.

So are you really gonna argue the point that stage points are valuable but racing for them isnt worth it? You cant do both. I promise you the other 20 + cars who are outside looking in will be going for it and thats reason enough for it not to be "boring".
Did you really mean the 20+ other cars looking in? I am thinking 1 or 2 at the most.

The key thing with Daytona moving is that it could be a lot harder to re-schedule the event should things like states of emergency and evacuations come into play. We’re talking about things like having emergency personnel re-assigned days in advance and the track being used as a staging site for emergency operations. It’s not just like a late afternoon summer storm where you can show up the next day and run with relative ease.
Truth

Especially being the last race of the regular season, what the hell they gonna do, cancel it?

Sometimes tradition is a thing that doesn't need to be messed with, and the Firecracker 400 was one of those races (IMO) just like the Southern 500.

I personally thought the Brickyard as the finale regular season race is/was fine, maybe avoid any sort of conflict with the Colts and/or college football if need be (though not sure you can work around this much at a lot of places).

Last edited:
I know most are good with the finale being in Phoenix or moving around, but it saddens me. Homestead is a great venue for this, for that time of year, and moving their race to the spring will hurt attendance. We will be there again for all three championships. Will probably go next year but not committed yet. Agree the Firecracker was best served at Daytona, but many tracks are going to experience changes. Hopeful Gateway gets a date.

I know most are good with the finale being in Phoenix or moving around, but it saddens me. Homestead is a great venue for this, for that time of year, and moving their race to the spring will hurt attendance. We will be there again for all three championships. Will probably go next year but not committed yet. Agree the Firecracker was best served at Daytona, but many tracks are going to experience changes. Hopeful Gateway gets a date.

I agree, PHX is actually within 10 hours distance of me and I'm not overly sold it on as the finale yet. Gateway seems appropriate to add if they want Phoenix as the finale.

Really, only Richmond & New Hampshire (3 races) are similar to Phoenix off the top of my head, a 4th race at Gateway makes sense besides the fact it isn't ISC/SMI.

Sometimes tradition is a thing that doesn't need to be messed with, and the Firecracker 400 was one of those races (IMO) just like the Southern 500.

I think the Firecracker 400 will be back in Independence Day in 10 years or so.

I too would like to see Gateway added to the schedule. Huge sports market there.

Because theres too many markets/tracks with 2 dates? For all we know ISC & SMI will be making no changes.

I’ve always thought it limited NASCARs reach. We only run 23 tracks, this pales in comparison to the NFL and NHL(including Seattle) which are at 32 and the MLB and NBA which are at 30

I’ve always thought it limited NASCARs reach. We only run 23 tracks, this pales in comparison to the NFL and NHL(including Seattle) which are at 32 and the MLB and NBA which are at 30

If we were being honest from a market standpoint, the Pacific NW could really use a race, maybe Denver (aka Pikes Peak would have worked), Mosport, etc.

If we were being honest from a market standpoint, the Pacific NW could really use a race, maybe Denver (aka Pikes Peak would have worked), Mosport, etc.
It’s crazy that the Pacific NW doesn’t have an NBA Team (Seattle) and a Nascar race...Of any kind. If a boom ever happens again and it’s feasible to build tracks...I hope a clone of North Wilkesboro is built in Washington or Oregon.

The facilities that host those leagues host between 18 and 160 events each, not 2 or 3. They’re also tax-payer subsidized.

Two more reasons comparisons to stick and ball sports don’t work.

The facilities that host those leagues host between 18 and 160 events each, not 2 or 3. They’re also tax-payer subsidized.

There are some that want the driver to get out of the car and go to jumping up and down beating their chests and strutting some kind of goofy bow legged cake walk around the car in victory lane.

Portland International Raceway is the only facility in the Pacific Northwest that handle the Cup Series,

I think the Firecracker 400 will be back in Independence Day in 10 years or so.

I already miss that race on July 4th weekend. It was one of those races I looked forward to, it would give the season a nice push going into the 2nd half and all. It just felt right.

Portland International Raceway is the only facility in the Pacific Northwest that handle the Cup Series,

That turn 1 tho...

images.ashx

fyi those that don't know it's a flat 90 degree turn that Indycar proved is a total cluster with only 22 cars on-track.

I’m talking about the reach of the sport. I’m sure people in Seattle got much more into baseball when the Mariners came than before

In its current state, no it cannot accommodate the standards the Cup Series is accustomed to. Not even close. The Truck Series should be workable.

Honestly it would make sense for the Truck Series to add another road course to it's schedule if they're gonna have 1 at CTMP/Mosport. Though not sure how many teams would head up to Portland. I'd probably make the trip up there for Trucks over IndyCar personally. Maybe put it with IndyCar, actually.

Pocono 2020 double header...

Saturday 325 miles.
Sunday 350 miles.

I'll wait to see before complaining, but woulda preferred 350 & 400 miles. (From Jayski)

Should have done 300 & 400 miles, only 25 miles more than what they have now and it makes both unique in their own.

Pocono 2020 double header...

Saturday 325 miles.
Sunday 350 miles.

I'll wait to see before complaining, but woulda preferred 350 & 400 miles. (From Jayski)
Damn What a schedule! Thursday - Sunday, Practice qualifying for all divisions, 4 Races from the Top 3 Series and an ARCA race! Pack the motorhome and dont forget the beer, and lots of it!

I’m guessing they are going to do some kind of fund raising event there at North Wilksboro with hot laps around the track. Ride with Jeff type deal.

Trying to figure out why this is in this forum. NW ain't coming back, people. That's gone past dreaming and on to delusional.

Trying to figure out why this is in this forum. NW ain't coming back, people. That's gone past dreaming and on to delusional.
Figure out what....Are you that upset over this being in this forum? Is it going to ruin your day? The negativity on this board is really draining, life sucking almost. I just posted this on here to have a little fun no where did I say that track is coming back or there’s a race there next year. No one is being delusional. No one is dreaming of anything. I thought it would fit here as a little diversion or if someone wanted to take a break debating crew members throwing drivers to the ground. I don’t think it’s a big deal I posted this here. Good god, some of you really need to lighten up.

Figure out what....Are you that upset over this being in this forum? Is it going to ruin your day? The negativity on this board is really draining, life sucking almost. I just posted this on here to have a little fun no where did I say that track is coming back or there’s a race there next year. No one is being delusional. No one is dreaming of anything. I thought it would fit here as a little diversion or if someone wanted to take a break debating crew members throwing drivers to the ground. I don’t think it’s a big deal I posted this here. Good god, some of you really need to lighten up.
You posted about a closed track in a discussion about changes to the schedule. Forgive me for assuming your post was on the topic at hand; silly of me.

Oh, I didn't answer your question. "Figure out why you didn't post this somewhere more appropriate", like the Random discussion.

As anticipated it had nothing to do with racing there just Jeff raffling his car for charity

Back
Top Bottom