Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I'm surprised about the lack of talk on here about no short tracks being added to the schedule. That is without question the biggest failure with the new schedule
They added another Darlington to the schedule. I'm pretty sure that won't be enough for some and the debate will rage on about even if Darlington qualifies as a short track, but there it is, another short track IMO.

They added another Darlington to the schedule. I'm pretty sure that won't be enough for some and the debate will rage on about even if Darlington qualifies as a short track, but there it is, another short track IMO.
Atlanta and Darlington are two of the better intermediates.

I'm not complaining at all, it's great to see both on the schedule twice IMO. This schedule is looking like a great but of much needed variety has been added. This is a move in the right direction and it shows NASCAR's previous sense of schedule complacency is a thing of the past.

I don't care if people want to call Darlington a Brodingnagian Street Course. I'm just glad it has a Mothers' Day date again!

What short tracks are available to add to the schedule AND are already up to Cup requirements AND are interested in paying to host a Cup race?

Fair point, but the schedule changes have been in the works for 2-3 years now. If NASCAR really wanted short tracks on the schedule they could've had talks with certain tracks back then so they could start making the necessary upgrades to host a Cup race.

I'm still bummed about the decision to run Bristol as a dirt track. But it shows the influence of TV and sponsors...

Next year we have the Olympics so they'll be two prime summer weekends back open in 2022. Keep an eye on those...

NASCAR has suddenly become more "Southerncentric" again! As a proud Yankee I like it! I can finally get to Darington! Labor Day weekend has always been an impossible few days to get off work.

I notice the Chase races are unchanged from this year. I really wish the finale was 400 miles / laps, not a mere 312.

Agree on the finale distance! I also still want to see a true road course in the chase!

Overall I think NASCAR did a good of balancing old and new. My two biggest complaints are Bristol on dirt and Indy's road course. Those two things completely contradict the reason NASCAR races at either place.

I still see a much closer NASCAR/IndyCar schedule in 2022. Double header events at the likes of Michigan, Pocono, Texas, Indy Road Course and Road America (maybe New Hampshire?) make a lot of sense.

Road America is far superior for both racing and fan experience

Watching the schedule come together

1601479267987.gif

How about they tear down Chicago or Kentucky and build short tracks. I'm in the short tracks are better camp. I still like some of the mile and halfs but I agree with another poster earlier that Las Vegas is the absolute worst track on the entire schedule. Terrible racing every year no matter what they do. You know they're not taking a destination like Vegas off the schedule but could they tear it down and build a proper 1/2 mile race track maybe?
I'm all for Chicago being made into a Wilkesboro clone, but the only tear down thats happening is for an Amazon warehouse.

Bristol could race on play-doh and I’d still want a ticket though...

COTA has been confirmed.

This is getting annoying, just release the rest of the damn schedule:

Triple header weekend. Holy crapola, that should be great.

I have 0 interest in Bristol on dirt. Less than 0. Camrys don't drive on dirt.
Kinda surprised that so many are panning the dirt race, I think its gonna be a hell of a show. Time to showcase that talent!
I was at Bristol when the ran the WOO dirt race, I was at Eldora for the first truck race and I have already booked Bristol for the NASCAR race weekend. No way am I going to miss this...unless I can't get a ticket.

"Old man yells at cloud"
What about a 28 year old?

My first ever cup race at age 11 was the 2003 Brickyard 400. It's an episodic memory.

Nevermind the drunk guy in overalls behind us telling me he was abducted by aliens, and wanted to show off his scar. That race changed my entire fandom to nascar.

Losing all the stars I grew up watching, and now drastically modifying the Brickyard 400, which to me, has always been the 1b of prestigious cup races next to the 500 is incredibly disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"Old man yells at cloud"

As a customer of a product, I am entitled to spend my money as I see fit. I am choosing to not spend my money on THIS product. If that makes me an angry old man, so be it. I would have 100% supported an additional race on the road course, even though I think it's a second rate course, but NOT as a replacement for the Brickyard 400.

The Bristol dirt race is on a Sunday, I'm assuming a day race. Day races on a banked track tend to be slick with not a lot passing. We'll see.

I think Loosing the oval brickyard is a tough thing for some fans for various reasons... that race made a statement back in the 90s... going into Indianapolis on those grounds people were originally speculating that “no one would care” for stock cars in such a place like Indy... it was a proud moment when just as many fans turned out for those brickyard races as there would be for the Indy 500...

it was a milestone moment. The energy at those early brickyard 400s was truly unreal... my first race was at the 3rd one ran in 96 and goodness it was electrifying.

much different than what the fan experience would turn into later, with lack of fans and such...

It is what it is, I think everyone understands when business changes... sometimes changes have to get made to adjust.

I think many hold that indy race in a special spot because at one time it truly was a great experience when that event rolled around. Sad to see what it became

What about a 28 year old?

My first ever cup race at age 11 was the 2003 Brickyard 400. It's an episodic memory.

Nevermind the drunk guy in overalls behind us telling me he was abducted by aliens, and wanted to show off his scar. That race changed my entire fandom to nascar.

Losing all the stars I grew up watching, and now drastically modifying the Brickyard 400, which to me, has always been the 1b of prestigious cup races next to the 500 is incredibly disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The 2008 race pretty much killed the momentum the oval had. I was able to attend the F1 race in 2004 and that was amazing, but all for the embarrassment of the 2005 tire debacle left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

The Brickyard is/was a prestigious event, but now in days it's coming to a point where even as time has gone on, the quality of racing was not where it's needed to keep people coming. This is the reason of the shuffle, I understand why many are irritated about it being taken off. Things have to be tried now and not later, the IMS Road Course Xfinity race pretty much sealed the date of the oval.

Also, remember Penske vouched heavily for the idea and it worked. Now, we get a double header of a Cup and IndyCar event. This is crazy how it's all come together, I'm just loving all parties involved are tying to do something different and add more variety.

The IMS oval was a technical nightmare for teams, it brought a lot of eyes on TV, but the racing was more miss than hit.

If NASCAR really wanted short tracks on the schedule they could've had talks with certain tracks back then so they could start making the necessary upgrades to host a Cup race.
The key point of my argument is that there aren't any short tracks who can afford to pay for those upgrades.

As to NASCAR really wanting more short tracks, they're about to convert Cali to one, remember?

Well Road America during the Fourth of July weekend has a great sound to it! I'd like to see this turn into a NASCAR/IndyCar double-header to preserve a "special" aspect to the holiday weekend.

At the end of the day, still rather Daytona. For tradition and the fact it makes for a far too random end to the regular season. Road America would make for a great Chase race in mid to late September. Overall, very happy with this decision! Great, historical track!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom