is chase elliot flirting with becoming a bust?

When was the last time a rookie won in their rookie year?

Buescher with the pocono rain deal last year.... beyond that I believe it might have been Logano with his rain shortened win but don't quote me on that. Somebody less lazy than me can look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And FWIW I believe Hendrick is just off in general right now as are all Chevrolet teams.

I'm a chase fan and I think once they get things ironed out and he finally scores a win it'll be similar to how Larson has broken out.

Buescher with the pocono rain deal last year.... beyond that I believe it might have been Logano with his rain shortened win but don't quote me on that. Somebody less lazy than me can look it up.

Bayne in 2011

I'm not sure where this idea that new shoes MUST be immediately successful at Cup racing. Are we
expecting too much, too soon?

This coming from the staffer whose driver won a race and finished seventh in his rookie season, even after sitting out four races, and is the only one to win the title in his second season... ;)

When was the last time a rookie won in their rookie year?

Chris Buescher, Pocono August 2016. Admittedly, that was a fluke of absolutely epic proportions. The last time a rookie won a full distance race with a car that had winning speed was Juan Pablo Montoya, Sonoma 2007.

Golden Boy will never win a race as long as his crew chief is out to get him. Messes up a pit stop last week - not a word. Pulls into the pits with 30 to go - crew chief needs to be fired.

With that being said...Elliot gets his first Cup win, today.

Golden Boy will never win a race as long as his crew chief is out to get him. Messes up a pit stop last week - not a word. Pulls into the pits with 30 to go - crew chief needs to be fired.

With that being said...Elliot gets his first Cup win, today.
Chase is the one that decided to come in, said he thought he ran over something and didn't want to risk it. As far as the botched pit stop, that def is getting old. Was the same with Gordon. I don't think that's on Alan though. Mr. H needs to step in and handle business. Maybe Alan does needs to suggest getting rid of some guys though.

Chase is the one that decided to come in, said he thought he ran over something and didn't want to risk it. As far as the botched pit stop, that def is getting old. Was the same with Gordon. I don't think that's on Alan though. Mr. H needs to step in and handle business. Maybe Alan does needs to suggest getting rid of some guys though.

IMO, the young man came into it being over-hyped and with unrealistic expectations. You simply don't just step into Jeff Gordon's shoes.

I think he races people clean, isn't over aggressive and is getting his footing. It wouldn't surprise me if he wins today as he's a decent road course driver, but is also wouldn't surprise me if it's takes him a couple of years.

IMO, the young man came into it being over-hyped and with unrealistic expectations. You simply don't just step into Jeff Gordon's shoes.

I think he races people clean, isn't over aggressive and is getting his footing. It wouldn't surprise me if he wins today as he's a decent road course driver, but is also wouldn't surprise me if it's takes him a couple of years.
He's definitely getting better each time he visits places like the road courses, plate tracks, and Martinsville. And he consistently out runs Blaney who gets all the craze these days for whatever reason. That's all you can ask for at his age.

I think next week will tell a lot about where he's at. Three races and three 2nd place finishes at Michigan. Perfect opportunity to turn this thread on its head.

Blaney won a race and thats it, look at his average finish compared to CE for the last 2 years. Plus Ryan is 2 years older and has more starts.

Look at the ages of the rookie winners compared to Chase, he just turned 21.
Well, he didn't just turn 21 (his birthday is November), but he is still very young. I believe Joey Logano, Kyle Busch, and Trevor Bayne were all younger when they got their first wins, but they're the only ones I can think of.

Could it be Blaney is more fun to interview?
Is he though? I've not seen anything that jumps off the screen. Scripted answers that you'd expect from most drivers is what I see. Besides that though, people speak from a performance standpoint.

Elliott was on Blaney's podcast last week. Both were pretty fkn hilarious and are obviously homies.

There is a misconception that Elliott is dull or stuck up. The dude is one of the more laid back and down to earth people out there from what I've seen.

Oh as far as bust potential, your boy just qualified 4th and got blocked out of the final corner. Highest running HMS car, again.

Elliott is going to try to do what he has done all year, finish at least in the top 10, top 5 if possible.

I doubt Chase Elliott will become a bust. HMS has just been more of a dud in recent seasons. It can not be too long before Chase becomes a familiar face in victory lane.

Chase will be fine. Hampered a bit because all of Hendrick seems to be a step behind Gibbs, SHR and Penske. And he is popular just because he has inherited many of his dads fans. And will add to it as I think he will be the recipient of most of Jr's fans. He runs up front. He's right there. Just hasn't quite gotten over the him yet.

Well said, Blister. HMS itself has been on the edge of being a bust this year, but not Chase himself. He runs the best out of all of the HMS guys, actually. The fact that Jimmie has already taken three early season wins just seems to overshadow Chase's consistency.

obviously not what I meant :rolleyes:

I like JJ, but frankly, he has not had many good results this year. Btw, those wins are his only top-fives. Three top-fives. Hmm.

I have no idea what you meant. Johnson's wins put him in The Chase ... watch out!

If the 24 had 3 wins this thread wouldn't be on the board.

My point is, if you do not have top five pace every week, then how can you expect to make it to the final four, much less add to that win tally? The only thing going for Jimmie is his tendency to come alive during the last 10 races of the year, but he has had some struggles in them the last few years as well. Last year was the sole year the #48 team executed well during that stretch.

On the other hand, young Chase Elliott has been running better overall, and has come close to several wins. He had a shot Sunday until Alan G bungled it. Chase has had more top tens and top fives so far. He's out-driven two of his experienced team-mates by a long-shot, and JJ has been the only one who has been somewhat comparable.

HARDLY A BUST ;)

They don't fire up the siren in Dawsonville for coming close.

Racing is about winning. Who's done more of that than JJ.?

Did you even read the first sentence in my last post? Where's JJ been at lately? Nowhere close.

No kidding, if it wasn't, I wouldn't watch racing, man. :D

Did you even read the first sentence in my last post? Where's JJ been at lately? Nowhere close.

No kidding, if it wasn't, I wouldn't watch racing, man. :D
I've read everything you've written.

When the money is on the line, Johnson will be right where he needs to be. Young Master Elliott will be grateful for the schooling from the 7 time Champion.

I've read everything you've written.

When the money is on the line, Johnson will be right where he needs to be. Young Master Elliott will be grateful for the schooling from the 7 time Champion.

I certainly hope so. Like I've said twice now, HMS has been more or less the real bust here, so I'm not getting my hopes up for any Hendrick drivers just yet. As a matter of fact, Chevy overall seems to be behind Ford and Toyota. Clearly, they have have the upper-hand lately.

Meh. Regardless of how we look at it, Chase Elliott has gotten most of the best results that Hendrick has had this year. I get your point - you're saying that Jimmie will come alive when he needs to, and that he can sneak a win in at any time - but with or without the wins, Chase Elliott has actually been the best for Hendrick so far. I'm just convinced that Chase is not a bust, and that he will win. It may sound silly because the kid still has not won yet, but I still think he will get it done. I mean, how could he not? We've had other people win this year. Unexpected people at that. :laugh:

I agree with you on that. I certainly want to see HMS rise back up to the top. It's weird not seeing them contending more, though. The last few seasons have been below their standards, imo. Even with Jimmie's title. It's a good thing the last season happened to be under a certain format, because The Chase of 2016 was fun. :) Otherwise, most of it, like the long summer stretch leading up to The Chase was bland for HMS. Truex (and Kurt at Pocono) kept it interesting for me during that time. :)

Back to Chase Elliott...
In our world, that last win came a while ago. And Chase Elliott will get a win. And he won't be a bust. That's like saying KB won't win another race this year. :laugh:

That's all I am saying, because I've got my opinion and you've got yours, and I can see that is that. ;)

Chevy has a new car next year. I don't think they have missed what the Toyota's have done with their front end.

Has anyone? Seems like Brad has called them out several times now. I haven't heard a driver be so vocal about it for a while...

Has anyone? Seems like Brad has called them out several times now.
yeah It's in the checked for horsepower thread. Their latest nose piece and front end remind me of back in the day when manufacturers made cars for the track

yeah It's in the checked for horsepower thread. Their latest nose piece and front end remind me of back in the day when manufacturers made cars for the track

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting find, too. I just looked at the nose pics you posted... I'm impressed that they have changed the design several times in just a handful of seasons. I did not realize just how much the Camry's have changed in a few seasons, even with this 2018 Camry.

I had to remind myself that the front end on all of the cars is closer to a curved windshield with a decal printed over it. It sure doesn't look smooth. But they worked the raised hood angle and they liked the idea so much they added another raised area on the fenders. Toyota hired the a top aerodynamic firm to design the front end on this last piece. Money talks. ya want grey area? there's your grey area. :D I knew Truex was good, but he wasn't that good. He's getting plenty of help

In today's day of impatience, a team can win the championship in one season and be labled as "down" the next with multiple wins and half the team set to make the playoffs.

As for Loganos rough start, people forget his rookie year was the first year of the COT. A young driver, driving something unlike anything hes driven before . . is bound to struggle.
Coincidentally, the year he started with Penske, was the same year Nascar switched back to the more traditional style stock car. And Joey started to flourish.

But it is what it is
When they put Joey in the Bush series twisted sister he out ran Kyle and Denny. I figured that was the reason they screwed him over. Notice as soon as Joey was out at Gibbs, Denny made it his business to go after him and wreck him. Same **** he pulled on Brad while he was with Junior. They know great drivers, that's why they tried to put the fear in them. Edwards tried the same thing and look at the ride he took while Brad wins his first race.

Jimmie Johnson's race by race results:
DNF 19 11 9 21 15 1 1 11 8 24 17 1 DNF 10 13 12 DNF 10 DNF DNF 29
in bold are his top ten results
and the last nine races have been pretty anonymous for him by his standards
but that's looking up! :rolleyes:

and I don't even have to talk about poor Kasey Kahne, the other half of the team in the playoffs. I will be thrilled if he gets past the first round.

Me, impatient? Nah, more like just seeing the obvious. Carry on.

When they put Joey in the Bush series twisted sister he out ran Kyle and Denny. I figured that was the reason they screwed him over. Notice as soon as Joey was out at Gibbs, Denny made it his business to go after him and wreck him. Same sh!t he pulled on Brad while he was with Junior. They know great drivers, that's why they tried to put the fear in them. Edwards tried the same thing and look at the ride he took while Brad wins his first race.
Busch did the same with Bowman, didn't work with Harvick, he ran.

Back
Top Bottom