Is Hendrick Motorsports no longer a Super Team?

Read an article from So. Carolina newspaper that was from Daytona July race. Could give more insight into Chevy being behind. Quotes from reporter:

"Chevrolet designed the Camaro to take advantage of NASCAR's previous inspection system of templates.

But NASCAR switched to a more precise scanning system this year, which erased some of Chevy's expected gains. Ford, especially those at Stewart-Haas Racing, improved the most from the change in inspection procedures.

Adding to Chevy's woes, NASCAR began enforcing a rule that requires front splitters to be completely flat. That tweak changed aerodynamics and caused the Chevrolets to plow through turns more than before.

Teams had been allowed to make their own splitters in previous years, and Toyota had been the biggest beneficiary of that rule in 2017. The Japanese automaker won 16 of 36 races, including the championship, last year."

yeah if the Fords benefited so much, why are the Penske's not leading laps and contending for the wins. Brad has shut up about the car, he can't say much now that SHR is whooping everybody. The Chevy's are back for a second time at the tracks now, it will be interesting to see with a bit of a notebook now if they get better

I always enjoy the conclusions drawn by amateur aerodynamicists after their examination of the data provided by their television sets.

Hey bud, I received my degree from watching ESPN.;)

they did better this week @ Pocono, maybe the second time around on the track is helping

Pocono results showed Hendrick Motorsports is "better as a whole"

For the first time this season, three HMS drivers finished in the Top 10, with Alex Bowman leading the way with a career-best third-place finish, rookie William Byron finished a career-best sixth and Elliott ended up seventh, while also picking up another stage victory.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-c...howed-hendrick-motorsports-is-better-1066221/

yeah if the Fords benefited so much, why are the Penske's not leading laps and contending for the wins. Brad has shut up about the car, he can't say much now that SHR is whooping everybody.
Now we never really needed that silly wind tunnel did we? We aren't going to go through that again with Michigan looming are we?
I always enjoy the conclusions drawn by amateur aerodynamicists after their examination of the data provided by their television sets.
I guess it is what we are left with given that everything is so secretive in NASCAR. For whatever reason, I can tune into WRC+ on rally weekends and get to look into wheel wells, brake calipers, suspensions, under the hood....and God forbid, I get analysis from team engineers, and actual aerodynamicists. Why the hell is NASCAR this way? I need Tim Brewer's Tech Garage back.

Now we never really needed that silly wind tunnel did we? We aren't going to go through that again with Michigan looming are we?

I think they solved that with the inspection inspection tent that you are so fond of. :idunno:

I think they solved that with the inspection inspection tent that you are so fond of. :idunno:

And WE are still fast. At least there is one thing I like about OSS.

Well in my opinion , the two other drivers for Hendrick left Chase out to dry on last restart . Maybe the time will come when Chase can repay Alex and William and gain positions on them.

Well in my opinion , the two other drivers for Hendrick left Chase out to dry on last restart . Maybe the time will come when Chase can repay Alex and William and gain positions on them.
There were a couple of radio transmissions about this between Chase and Alan. Before the 2nd to last restart they thought they had Bowman as a pusher so Alan asked him if there were any instructions he wanted to pass to him. Chase opted out as he didn't want to discuss it over the radio. Before the last restart, they had Byron in line as a pusher. Chase said something to the degree of "I don't know if the 24 has any interest in helping, but...". Not sure if there was something more behind that one or not but it was interesting.

That is desperately digging hard to find a positive.

Good finish for Byron and all that, but wow.

yeah terrible that someone 19 with less than three years of experience in the Nascar's three series can get a top 6 at Poke. Impossible to have a future like any of the other greats at Hendrick right. :rolleyes:

yeah terrible that someone 19 with less than three years of experience in the Nascar's three series can get a top 6 at Poke. Impossible to have a future like any of the other greats at Hendrick right. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's all a sign they pushed him way too soon?

Think about it, this is MIGHTY HENDRICK. Think of all the things Hendrick have done, with rookies in their cars.

They're crowing about a stat of finishing 6th at one particular track.

now all of a sudden they are the mighty Hendrick, they were desperately digging hard a minute ago :D

Sponsor has to sign off any paint schemes.

The sponsors aren't drafting the designs. And I doubt the marketing doofus at Hertz has the good taste or even cares enough to notice small design cues.

A lot of HMS paint schemes over the last two years share many of the same awful design elements, so clearly the majority of them are designed by the same artist. Which leads me back to my initial statement: fire the guy/company who is coming up with this crap.

they all look good in victory lane ;)

upload_2018-8-2_13-21-14.jpeg

I hope the Hendrick drivers will work as a team . Thanks for the info adoubleu24 , thought something was not right by the way Chase got done.

I hope the Hendrick drivers will work as a team . Thanks for the info adoubleu24 , thought something was not right by the way Chase got done.
Personally, I'm opposed to team orders, but... YMMV. In F1 and the recently-completed Tour de France... team orders and team tactics rule. Last week at Pocono, Suarez and Jones were not required to work in support of the 18... that's how it should be... IMO.

I know I wasn't impressed when the preacher's cars + Truex practiced and raced nose to tail at Daytona. I can see putting everybody's heads together when analyzing post race, what worked and what didn't, networking at practice with everybody's setups. But being manipulated during the race by a bunch of engineers makes the driver look like some kind of underling employee, a step higher than a robot.

Michael McDowell has led more laps than Jimmie Johnson this season.

What is happening???

If I were you I wouldn't look at IROC results from 2003 or 2004
So, you are looking at results from 2004? Ahahaha!!!
Michael McDowell has led more laps than Jimmie Johnson this season.
What is happening???
It’s the inevitable. JJ is getting old, like all racers do.
You are incredibly misinformed.

JJ won 7 championships, 5 of those in consecutive years. There are many interviews over the years with team members and engineers of the #48 team that talk about how JJ has some of best ability to will a 10th place car to victory. Nobody wins this many races and championships without that kind of unique talent.

In today’s racing, HMS is not bad. Other teams are just that much better and have invested more time/money into their craft. They get out what they put in.

Also, Knaus has signed on for 2 more years. Tough chance Chad and Johnson ever part ways. Hendrick has learned from his mistake by letting Ray go.
Let’s agree to disagree. JJ wasn’t as good as you say.

This guy says JJ is old and washed up in the same season Harvick is crushing the field.

Y'okay, no bias here. Sorry, there's no opinions to be had. Jimmie is, at worst, the third best driver of all time.

This guy says JJ is old and washed up in the same season Harvick is crushing the field.

Y'okay, no bias here. Sorry, there's no opinions to be had. Jimmie is, at worst, the third best driver of all time.
“GOAT” and those close to GOAT are nothing but a matter of opinion.

So, you are looking at results from 2004?
Yep and results from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Taking a stand against results of races and seasons is a tough sell. I know you're no fan of JJ but calling the best stock car driver since the turn of the century "not that good" is ridiculous. It's fine to not like the results of races, but at least acknowledge them if you want to be taken seriously.

Yep and results from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Taking a stand against results of races and seasons is a tough sell. I know you're no fan of JJ but calling the best stock car driver since the turn of the century "not that good" is ridiculous. It's fine to not like the results of races, but at least acknowledge them if you want to be taken seriously.
Ok, here goes. I don’t rate a driver for his good finishes in a great car. I rate them on taking a crap car and driving it to the front, with little help from his crew. JJ could not do that. Even though I hate KB, he’s hands down a better driver than JJ.

Ok, here goes. I don’t rate a driver for his good finishes in a great car. I rate them on taking a crap car and driving it to the front, with little help from his crew. JJ could not do that. Even though I hate KB, he’s hands down a better driver than JJ.

Something tells me you probably think Jeff Gordon was a chump then...

Back
Top Bottom