Is Hendrick Motorsports no longer a Super Team?

Uhmm...No...they are all based off of the Ford chassis from way back in the mid '60's.

Where did you get the ideal that they were based off of a GM chassis? The only allusion to GM is the old truck trailing arms.

What?

No, I'm just saying majority of the field runs the Cheverolet body. I just completely butchered that statement.

I have no idea which cars Allison used the GM style front end on, since he raced pretty much every make and model of car out there at some point during the 70's, but I know that he used it from time to time and he was an early advocate of front steer cars, which was pretty much a GM thing. It may have been based on what was even legal at any particular time. I know that the Mopars had to stay with leaf springs in the rear until either when the 1981 downsized cars came out or shortly before it, even though the Fords and GM cars had been using the GM style truck arms with coils for years. The guys over at The Randy Ayres NASCAR modeling Forum REALLY keep up on stuff like this and are an excellent source of information.

I just some additional research over there. There was a link to the July 1972 issue of Stock Car Racing that followed the build up of a Monte Carlo that Donnie later raced that year in Grand National. (Cup) The car had a stock Chevelle/Monte Carlo frame, and the front suspension was GM style, with modified GM lower control arms, fabricated tubular upper arms and Holman Moody spindles modified and used on the opposite side to mate up with the GM front steer steering arms. The rear was a modified stock Chevelle/Monte Carlo four link set-up. Bobby was driving for Junior that year, and drove cars that were both Junior's and his own. I am assuming but don't know for sure that Junior's cars were very much like the Ford style cars (one may have actually been a HM car), but I'm guessing that Bobby's own cars were much like what he built for Donnie, and what he was also supplying to other customers both in and out of NASCAR

I also found pictures over there of one of the GM cars Cale drove for Junior in the mid-late70's, and it had the standard Ford/HM/Banjo front end all the way. I don't think Junior got away from that until some time in the Darrell Waltrip tenure.

In my opinion, no, but your point is plausible. I think it points more to an engineering issue where the basic building blocks were good, but the SHR engineers found a way to get much more out of it. I think there has been a steady decline in the engineering talent at HMS, and some of it is because some of them went to SHR, first because some were asked to, and others, seeking more opportunity. In my opinion, Rex Stump was a HUGE loss for HMS. Rex played a key role in every thing that HMS did from the mid-90's forward. (Remember T-Rex?) At this point, I don't even think the basic building blocks are all that good. It has been my observation over the years that when the crew chiefs get lost, you get inconsistency. When the engineers get lost, you are slow across the board. Back in the heydays of Indycar in the 80's and 90's when there were new chassis designs each year, you would see HUGE performance swings year to year with the same drivers and the same crew chiefs. When Penske built their own cars, some years they were absolutely unbeatable, and other years, they were so bad Penske would park them and buy a competitor's chassis. The drivers didn't get dumb all of the sudden, and the crew chiefs and team engineers didn't get dumb all of the sudden, but if your basic car is sub-par, it's hard to crutch your way around it.

This is an excellent post---thank you. Any thoughts on Duchardt leaving HMS and that impact, if any?

I remember reading before the season started about how when they were designing the Camaro, they decided to put more emphasis on rear downforce. Could it be they focused on the wrong thing?

This an interesting point. Toyota fought for balance last year before the '18 Camry was dialed in. I think the issue was that they had so much front end that the car was loose. KB et al. loved it on the short run, but it wouldn't hold on. I think that they found balance in the rear. Now when we think about the rule changes....Loss of front end downforce, increased rear downforce, loss of balance, and a pushy car I would think. This isn't what Jimmie likes at all IMO. It is conceivable that the Chevys were screwed by the front end stuff like the Toyotas while once again, the Fords benefitted. If they built it with focusing on the rear to get a jump on things, then it would be logical that the car would be way out of balance with the splitter/pan stuff. I have heard somewhere that the new rules hurt Chevy. Hmmmm. ....On a semi-side note.....NASCAR Radio blabbed all offseason about the insignificance of the new rules....they also blabbed about the insignificance of the the Chevy to Ford switch at SHR. When these idiots don't appreciated the details of this sport, they take the fanbase down the wrong path.

This is an excellent post---thank you. Any thoughts on Duchardt leaving HMS and that impact, if any?

I don't really have a good feel for how significant his contribution to HMS really was or why he is no longer there. I kind of got the felling that was a HMS decision and not a Duchardt decision, but that's just a guess. Rick is pretty damn loyal. People get moved around, but seldom are they forced totally out. Obviously Chip saw some value in having him around, so that should say something about his ability or perception of it. If I had to place the HMS problem on any single thing, I would have to say the loss of Rex Stump. The subsequent rise of SHR lends some credence to that. The other thing about SHR that nobody ever talks about is whether any of the engineering brainpower from the Formula 1 team filters back into the Cup team. My guess is that it does.

It ain’t the cars.
I’m not missing any point.

So all the Chevy drivers ran out of talent at the same time, with the exception of Larson? Who has yet to post a win? The Chevys are off. They'll come back around, no doubt. But, for now, they're out to lunch.

This an interesting point. Toyota fought for balance last year before the '18 Camry was dialed in. I think the issue was that they had so much front end that the car was loose. KB et al. loved it on the short run, but it wouldn't hold on. I think that they found balance in the rear. Now when we think about the rule changes....Loss of front end downforce, increased rear downforce, loss of balance, and a pushy car I would think. This isn't what Jimmie likes at all IMO. It is conceivable that the Chevys were screwed by the front end stuff like the Toyotas while once again, the Fords benefitted. If they built it with focusing on the rear to get a jump on things, then it would be logical that the car would be way out of balance with the splitter/pan stuff. I have heard somewhere that the new rules hurt Chevy. Hmmmm. ....On a semi-side note.....NASCAR Radio blabbed all offseason about the insignificance of the new rules....they also blabbed about the insignificance of the the Chevy to Ford switch at SHR. When these idiots don't appreciated the details of this sport, they take the fanbase down the wrong path.

I don't know the answers, but it's pretty obvious that the 2018 rules package didn't hurt the Toyotas much and actually seem to play right into Ford's hands with the package they had which struggld at times in 2107. For Chevy, I think it was just another hurdle for a group that was already somewhat befuddled. It would have been hard to avoid, but I kind of think it probably wasn't a good time for Chevy to introduce an all new car, but the changes have come so fast the last few years, I don't know if there IS a good time. What if NASCAR goes to a version of the All Star race package across the board for 2019? Could the Camaro suddenly be the car to beat, or might the new Mustang be the hot setup?

[ been talking about this alot lately.shr,penske,and ganassi all race in other series,they have to bring alot of that technoligy to nscar.but the 78 must just have the right people.and hendrick is pretty much on there own island.
I don't really have a good feel for how significant his contribution to HMS really was or why he is no longer there. I kind of got the felling that was a HMS decision and not a Duchardt decision, but that's just a guess. Rick is pretty damn loyal. People get moved around, but seldom are they forced totally out. Obviously Chip saw some value in having him around, so that should say something about his ability or perception of it. If I had to place the HMS problem on any single thing, I would have to say the loss of Rex Stump. The subsequent rise of SHR lends some credence to that. The other thing about SHR that nobody ever talks about is whether any of the engineering brainpower from the Formula 1 team filters back into the Cup team. My guess is that it does.

We don't even know if the new cars have a different front clip than last years. My guess is if it's ANY different , it's minor. My guess is that the difference is. In how the 2018 rules and inspection package impact the chassis and maybe a little bit of how the new body effects that chassis. I kind of wonder if in the HMS case at least (Ganassi maybe not as much) that the cars were crutched to cover up some of their deficiencies and it sort of worked on the 2017 cars, but does not work at all with the 2018 cars. We were told that the front to rear balance on the Camaro was vastly different than the SS, and that in itself might be a good thing, but it may have thrown the HMS chassis for a loop, and sometimes if you get too far down one road, it's hard to go back, and even if you do, the competition that went the other way is MUCH further down that road. Stay with me for a little story about an engineering problem. In the mid-2000's all diesel truck manufacturers were faced with meeting a far more stringent set of pollution control standards imposed by the government. Every truck and engine manufacturer decided to implement the diesel exhaust fluid system (DEF) already in use in Europe EXCEPT Navistar. They decided to buck the trend and use a EGR valve only approach for it's supposed simplicity and lower operating cost. It sounded great, but after several years of failures and nearly bankrupting the company, Navistar was forced to admit that they couldn't make it work. By now, everyone else was several years ahead on the DEF system technology, and they had neither the knowledge or the money to quickly catch up, so they suspended the production of their own engines and began equipping their trucks solely with engines and emission control equipment including DEF from their competitor, Cummins Engine Co. If you go down the wrong road, it can take a LONG time to catch up.

I'm a former Cummins engineer and work with a lot of ex-Navistar engineers. They don't have many kind things to say about their company leadership during this period.

Caterpillar did the exact same thing with their road-going diesel engines. They put a lot of marketing into saying EGR was horrible (pre-DEF). Then reached the point like Navistar did later of "there's no way we can meet emissions". Eventually they had an EGR system that they would tell you was not EGR called "ACERT", and ended up they pulled out of the road-going diesel market altogether.

Last edited:
The Chevy's are just way off, but Hendrick does seem to have internal issues with a lot of guys leaving.

Quick aside....that DEF/EGR system/DPF is the worst thing ever. The absolute worst. I pray for the day it goes away. Screw the EPA.

Not going to, not for a hydrocarbon fuel burning engine anyway.

I'm waiting for the day passenger cars and trucks get DEF. That implementation is going to be fun.

I'm guessing that Bobby's own cars were much like what he built for Donnie,
Donnie's was a one off and also, NASCAR required the truck arms way back when. One of Booby's the old Matador's, has the Ford style front suspension and even though it is a 2 X3 channel frame, it is fabricated almost inch for inch off of a '65 Ford
perimeter.

The Matador was a '76....interestingly enough, some one kept running the Matador right through the '80 season (not Allison though), believe that Davey used them too running in events in Wisconsin. Bobby ran the #12 and Davey the #11.

Does it still run?
Sorta....has a 360 AMC with roller hydraulic cam (relatively mild....469 lift @ .050"), does not have the NASCAR plenum intake, just an Edelbrock 360 manifold. Not really a race engine, never dynode, guessing around 400HP. Needs to be gone through and have not started it in over a year...might be taking it to a show next month...if I can get my '67 Fairlane HM finished.

Not going to, not for a hydrocarbon fuel burning engine anyway.

I'm waiting for the day passenger cars and trucks get DEF. That implementation is going to be fun.
I think you'll see electric vehicles displace IC engines for the most part before that happens, and single vehicle emission systems will be things we used to talk about like carbs and crank starters.

Donnie's was a one off and also, NASCAR required the truck arms way back when.
I'm not going to dispute it, because I just don't know. Some of the pictures in the article are missing, but there is one purportedly of Donnie's car that shows the rear of the frame with big spring buckets welded right above the axle hoop. The article is a little confusing, because it goes into pretty good detail about Bobby's modified GM A body four link, and compares it to a Watts link, but makes no mention of it compared to a truck arm setup. I can't speak for the rear suspension rules in 1972 other than the Mopars ran torsion bars up front and leaf springs out back clear up to around the 1981 car downsizing, by which time Chrysler was basically done anyhow. I also know that even in the 90's people were messing with different rear suspensions even though the long truck arm was the standard. I haven't looked that close at the pictures, but supposedly the car Petty flipped at Daytona in 89 had short arm setup and I remember either Blue Max or Penske messing with a four link style rear while Rusty was driving. I'll ask some questions on the other site and try to get some more info.

All that's well and good, but it doesn't answer my question. If they wanted to, could Chevy go back to the old front clip?
I don't know if Nascar would allow it but there is still one car running a dodge or their was.
Even with the old car they would have to retool to know what to do with zero clearance.
JJ was off last year but that could be a result of the Fords getting knocked down and Toyota got their act together by race 13 with the new front end. The 48 hasn't done crap with zero clearance. I doubt it is the car itself just the new rules.

I don't know if Nascar would allow it but there is still one car running a dodge or their was.
Even with the old car they would have to retool to know what to do with zero clearance... I doubt it is the car itself just the new rules.
Hey Pete, just a reminder... the ride height rule change for 2018 was just for the four plate races. At the other 32 races, the ride height rule was axed years ago. So that doesn't explain anything about HMS or the Camaro.

There's some good points in here about the loss of engineering personnel, but I personally think the loss of the SHR alliance was far more detrimental to HMS than it was to SHR. Look at what SHR has done now that they have left and are building their own chassis. I remember hearing a rumor back when SHR was getting chassis from HMS that SHR wanted HMS to try some things in chassis design and HMS basically told them "no this is what we're designing and this is what you're getting" Well now SHR is doing everything in house and has seemed to have left HMS behind in the performance department.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty hard to make a case that the severing of ties with HMS hurt SHR in any serious way. I have no idea if your rumor is true or not, but it's pretty obvious that even WITH the HMS equipment, SHR was moving away from what HMS was doing, and it was WORKING! If HMS didn't take the hint, shame on THEM.

I think NASCAR turned a blind eye for so long to HMS cheating in an effort to increase popularity and viewership.
It’s biting them in the ass as we speak..

So you believe the whole sport is rigged by the sanctioning body...but you still spend time on it? o_O

Nobody could ever explain to me why NASCAR would WANT HMS to dominate. I could maybe see with Gordon a little, but not at the total expense of Dale Earnhardt, and why Johnson at all? Surely they would have rather had continuing success for Gordon, or even more success for Tony Stewart or even Bill Elliott. Why favor Johnson over Dale Jr? Where was all of the favoritism late in Gordon's career when he could have used it? People have been trying to tell me NASCAR was rigged since the 80's. If NASCAR controlled the outcome, why did Richard Petty go the last ten years of his career with almost no success? Why did Earnhardt Sr, go into such a performance slump from 96-99, exactly when a red hot rivalry on track with Gordon would have been insane for the sport? Why was Dale JR's career such a disappointment? Why didn't Danica do better? Why hasn't Bubba won yet? All things that NASACAR would surely make happen if they played the game with a marked deck.

Hey Pete, just a reminder... the ride height rule change for 2018 was just for the four plate races. At the other 32 races, the ride height rule was axed years ago. So that doesn't explain anything about HMS or the Camaro.
Thanks, I honestly didn't know that. I used to keep hearing that cars failed post race because of the height. It got so ridiculous that I gave up on much of what Nascar does.

I find myself not making time to watch the races anymore, don't even take the time to record the races. Saturday, I changed the channel after the first stage, just not interested in the Circus anymore.

I find myself not making time to watch the races anymore, don't even take the time to record the races. Saturday, I changed the channel after the first stage, just not interested in the Circus anymore.

Taco Time! What the hell! Where you been?

Maybe we’re seeing now that JJ can’t run with the big dogs on a level playing field.
It ain’t Chad and it ain’t Jimmie.
You've pushed this since 2008, and no matter how hard you try, it won't make it true man. 7 championships and 83 wins with 12 years of domination doesnt just happen by not being good and cheating. No matter how much you want to believe that Jimmie is overrated, it aint Jimmie, it aint chad.

This is not a Level Playing Field, even when the 48 was winning they were not the fastest car every single week like the 4, 78 and 18 are now. People here turn a blind eye to that. Even when the 48 was winning five straight championships, there were plenty of races he didn't have winning speed and random cars did, there was more parity in terms of who is leading laps. The fast cars are way more dominant today then they were 8 seasons ago. That is the problem that people don't seem to see here. Even when Jimmie was winning five straight championships, he did not have the fastest car every single week like the 78 for an 18 do. That is a car and package problem whether people want to admit it or not

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You've pushed this since 2008, and no matter how hard you try, it won't make it true man. 7 championships and 83 wins with 12 years of domination doesnt just happen by not being good and cheating. No matter how much you want to believe that Jimmie is overrated, it aint Jimmie, it aint chad.

This is not a Level Playing Field, even when the 48 was winning they were not the fastest car every single week like the 4, 78 and 18 are now. People here turn a blind eye to that. Even when the 48 was winning five straight championships, there were plenty of races he didn't have winning speed and random cars did, there was more parity in terms of who is leading laps. The fast cars are way more dominant today then they were 8 seasons ago. That is the problem that people don't seem to see here. Even when Jimmie was winning five straight championships, he did not have the fastest car every single week like the 78 for an 18 do. That is a car and package problem whether people want to admit it or not

Why isn’t Jimmie running at least as well as Larson?

Why isn’t Jimmie running at least as well as Larson?
Because HMS cant get the cars setup for Jimmie to compete at a high level lol

Why did Jimmie beat the 4 and steal so many wins head to head so many times between 2014 and 2016 at 1.5 and 2 milers in races where HarviCk dominated with superior cars?

Anyone remember Harvicks reign with speed? How did the 48 suddenly beat him 6 times at the end of races Harvick had wrapped up?

Because HMS cant get the cars setup for Jimmie to compete at a high level lol

Why did Jimmie beat the 4 and steal so many wins head to head so many times between 2014 and 2016 at 1.5 and 2 milers in races where HarviCk dominated with superior cars?

Anyone remember Harvicks reign with speed? How did the 48 suddenly beat him 6 times at the end of races Harvick had wrapped up?

I’m talking about present, not past.
Were you a fan when Petty quit dominating?
Dale?
Jeff?
It happens to them all.
Embrace it.

Dale?
Jeff?
It happens to them all.
Embrace it.
Of course i was. We can both dodge

Dale?
Jeff?
It happens to them all.
Embrace it.

To be honest,the biggest reason for end of Petty domination originally was that the the Chrysler products were no longer up to the level of the Ford and GM cars, which led to a switch of makes, and they won a championship in a Chevy. They were still doing fairly well, then Dale Inman left, followed shortly after by some of their other top talent, causing Petty to go drive for Mike Curb, where they won a couple of races and were decent, but after Richard went back to Petty Enterprises and that team was never what it was. Also by then, the health issues, numerous injuries and running over 1000 Cup races started to take it's toll. With Earnhardt, I think RCR got a little behind, and then Dale got hurt in the big wreck at Talladega, and then there was the musical crew chief changes, the Larry McReynolds experiment, the new teammate he didn't really want or like, all the while trying to get his own race team off the ground. Through that all, Dale's last season (2000) was his best since 1995, and he seemed to be in top form heading into 2001. As for Jeff, I think his back issues took their toll, he had some GREAT seasons totally overshadowed by even better ones by his teammate, and then at the end got caught in the general decline in the Hendrick cars, but STILL won races and was competitive. Jimmie is still younger than those guys were when they faded, is an absolute physical specimen, and has basically been injury free his whole career. Is Jimmie as good as he was at 35? Probably not, but I'll bet if he had a car on par with the 4, the 18 and the 78, he would still be winning races and at be IN the championship conversation. At some point, his skills WILL diminish, but I don't we are at that point yet.

To be honest,the biggest reason for end of Petty domination originally was that the the Chrysler products were no longer up to the level of the Ford and GM cars, which led to a switch of makes, and they won a championship in a Chevy. They were still doing fairly well, then Dale Inman left, followed shortly after by some of their other top talent, causing Petty to go drive for Mike Curb, where they won a couple of races and were decent, but after Richard went back to Petty Enterprises and that team was never what it was. Also by then, the health issues, numerous injuries and running over 1000 Cup races started to take it's toll. With Earnhardt, I think RCR got a little behind, and then Dale got hurt in the big wreck at Talladega, and then there was the musical crew chief changes, the Larry McReynolds experiment, the new teammate he didn't really want or like, all the while trying to get his own race team off the ground. Through that all, Dale's last season (2000) was his best since 1995, and he seemed to be in top form heading into 2001. As for Jeff, I think his back issues took their toll, he had some GREAT seasons totally overshadowed by even better ones by his teammate, and then at the end got caught in the general decline in the Hendrick cars, but STILL won races and was competitive. Jimmie is still younger than those guys were when they faded, is an absolute physical specimen, and has basically been injury free his whole career. Is Jimmie as good as he was at 35? Probably not, but I'll bet if he had a car on par with the 4, the 18 and the 78, he would still be winning races and at be IN the championship conversation. At some point, his skills WILL diminish, but I don't we are at that point yet.
Bingo. It's like people forget Jimmie was the best driver in this sport for over 10 years. He was better than Harvick, Edwards, Stewart and Kyle Busch. And he had the best equipment on top of all that, even to this day, if Jimmie manages to have the car under him, he's going to likely win the race. People have discredited his ability behind the wheel since 2002, I don't understand it

Bingo. It's like people forget Jimmie was the best driver in this sport for over 10 years. He was better than Harvick, Edwards, Stewart and Kyle Busch. And he had the best equipment on top of all that, even to this day, if Jimmie manages to have the car under him, he's going to likely win the race. People have discredited his ability behind the wheel since 2002, I don't understand it

Jimmie is the GOAT. Anybody that questions his accomplishments is in denial.

The 2018 version of JJ is not the same guy IMO. I’m not saying he doesn’t have wins in him still. But I don’t think the magic is coming back. The key difference to me is that JJ isn’t getting the most out his race car anymore.

As has been pointed out, there’s been nobody better in the sport over the past decade other than maybe Harvick at RCR, at getting the most out a car that’s not quite as good as the competition. I’m not seeing that out of Jimmie right now.

Chevrolet and HMS in particular is off right now. This has been analyzed to death. But also think that JJ has lost a little something behind the wheel. It happens to all the greats. It happened to Petty. It happened to Waltrip. It happened to Dale and even Jeff to an extent.

Nobody could ever explain to me why NASCAR would WANT HMS to dominate. I could maybe see with Gordon a little, but not at the total expense of Dale Earnhardt, and why Johnson at all? Surely they would have rather had continuing success for Gordon, or even more success for Tony Stewart or even Bill Elliott. Why favor Johnson over Dale Jr? Where was all of the favoritism late in Gordon's career when he could have used it? People have been trying to tell me NASCAR was rigged since the 80's. If NASCAR controlled the outcome, why did Richard Petty go the last ten years of his career with almost no success? Why did Earnhardt Sr, go into such a performance slump from 96-99, exactly when a red hot rivalry on track with Gordon would have been insane for the sport? Why was Dale JR's career such a disappointment? Why didn't Danica do better? Why hasn't Bubba won yet? All things that NASACAR would surely make happen if they played the game with a marked deck.
Very well said, sir! :salute:

I am inclined to think that it is the cars. None of the Chevy teams across the board have experienced very many good results. Kyle Larson has been the only one who has proven to be able to show up and contend for wins, but obviously he has not gotten one yet. You can not tell me Jimmie Johnson just lost the ability to drive and win, nor can you tell me that Elliott, Bowman, and Byron all just regressed within a year and went from being race-winning drivers to sub-par drivers. It will get better with time, and even though we over fifty-percent done with this season, I am still not too worried about Chevy. I still think we will see them return to winning ways before season's end, and if not, that's not a complete disaster in itself as they look to stick around forever and will probably show marked improvement next year and beyond, and they'll have the new Ford Mustangs to contend. Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see how all of the Ford teams gel with the Mustang, if they figure it out quicker than Chevy might with the Camaro or not.

I am inclined to think that it is the cars.

Chase Elliott drives a Chevy. If he isn't winning, it has to be the cars. After all this is a "historic season" as he "Chases History" with Claire B. Lang on NASCAR Radio!

Getting that way myself. Nascar racing is automatically recorded via TSN but I have found myself just deleting the race a few days later without watching it.
I think it natural to change your entertainment as we grow older.
A young man dreams of having a relationship with a young lady.
An old man has nightmares of getting into a new relationship. :D

Back
Top Bottom