Is Hendrick Motorsports no longer a Super Team?

And I find all this back and forth rather funny ---- what real difference does it make if Hendrick is, or isn't, a super team?

Well they've been the premier Chevy team for forever. RCR isn't what they used to be either, so it'll affect the rest of the Chevy teams.

Honestly? I sorta do think Jimmie has looked very old and washed up this year. I haven't tuned in 24/7 this year, but every time I see him racing and on TV there's a lack of confidence and aggression.

Honestly? I sorta do think Jimmie has looked very old and washed up this year. I haven't tuned in 24/7 this year, but every time I see him racing and on TV there's a lack of confidence and aggression.

So what's the reason he's outperforming Bowman and Byron then?

So what's the reason he's outperforming Bowman and Byron then?

12 points ahead of Bowman and Byron a completely inexperienced Cup driver that probably got thrown into the fire too early. That doesn't exactly validate Jimmie's credentials. Jimmie is supposed to be carrying Hendrick, no?

12 points ahead of Bowman and Byron a completely inexperienced driver that probably got thrown into the fire too early. That doesn't exactly validate Jimmie's credentials. Jimmie is supposed to be carrying Hendrick, no?

So age isn't the only factor at work here then?

Back to the, “it’s the car” argument.
Someone forgot to tell Larson.
Larson wasn't even the best Chevy last night. I know your disdain for a certain driver named Elliott won't allow you to admit that tho.

HMS had 3 in the top 10.

So Jimmie is old and washed up, but the fact he's outperforming 2/3 of his younger teammates in the same equipment can be chalked up to the young guys at HMS sucking.

Y'okay. No bias here.

Larson wasn't even the best Chevy last night. I know your disdain for a certain driver named Elliott won't allow you to admit that tho.

HMS had 3 in the top 10.
Can’t ignore results. Larson finished second and is the only Chevrolet in the top 10 in points :idunno:

And Elliott is out of the top 10...with the rest of HMS.

Elliott has also won a race, 3 stages, and finished 3rd last night. Right behind Larson. After leading 115 laps.

Larson has been good, but the 9 team has out performed them the past few races.

Elliott has also won a race, 3 stages, and finished 3rd last night. Right behind Larson. After leading 115 laps.

The thread is about HMS underperforming.
Three drivers make up the majority of Cup wins this year. None of them are in a Chevrolet.

it's 100% about the new chassis/aero package. If they had old chassis Jimmie would be 12 time champ.
There is still only one way to drive the car thoguh with about 46.25 wedge.

The thread is about HMS underperforming.
Three drivers make up the majority of Cup wins this year. None of them are in a Chevrolet.
But didn't we expect that to what would happen when they announced the new car for this year?
Didn't JGR go through this nonperformance with the new car?
If HMS can get Chase running great and in the chase, their odds go way up.

But didn't we expect that to what would happen when they announced the new car for this year?
Didn't JGR go through this nonperformance with the new car?
If HMS can get Chase running great and in the chase, their odds go way up.
I’m not sure “we” expected anything.

And I find all this back and forth rather funny ---- what real difference does it make if Hendrick is, or isn't, a super team?

It sure as hell matters to ME. I have EXTREMELY high expectations for the team I have been supporting since I was a Junior in high school. When you look at their experience, their budgets, their resources, their facilities, and their talent, mediocrity is just NOT acceptable.

The 9 is now the measuring stick as far as I'm concerned. They've won, and they've steadily move up in points whereas Larson has done the opposite. I think the 9 team will only get better. Chase now has the confidence and it's showing, and they've got a proven track record of ramping it up for the playoffs the last 3 years. They also don't make a lot of mistakes, nor does Chase. They can go to Homestead.

The 9 is now the measuring stick as far as I'm concerned. They've won, and they've steadily move up in points whereas Larson has done the opposite. I think the 9 team will only get better. Chase now has the confidence and it's showing, and they've got a proven track record of ramping it up for the playoffs the last 3 years. They also don't make a lot of mistakes, nor does Chase. They can go to Homestead.
Does a guy with one win in the regular season deserve a championship if he wins at Homestead?

Yes. Just like Matt Kenseth in 2003.

Difference is Matt Kenseth was consistent over the course of the season while Newman wasn't. Go look at Top 5s and Top 10s this year - Harvick, Kyle Busch and Truex are CRUSHING the field.

Ok, here goes. I don’t rate a driver for his good finishes in a great car. I rate them on taking a crap car and driving it to the front, with little help from his crew. JJ could not do that. Even though I hate KB, he’s hands down a better driver than JJ.
You are in an HMS thread bashing JJ. Your agenda is clear and its an intense reaction formation. JJ won more races with 10th place cars than Kyle ever has. Talking.about maximizing what you are given.

Oh right, it only proves talent when a crap car is driven to the front. Your assessment of talent and a lack of it dances around JJ.

Are you aware of how biased and flawed your reasoning is coming off? Everyone disagrees with you. Posters here arent the ones you are trying to convince...clearly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Does a guy with one win in the regular season deserve a championship if he wins at Homestead?

You play the game by the rules you are given, no matter how stupid the rules may be. There have been flaws and anomalies in EVERY format NASCAR has ever used, including the Latford system that most of us fans liked. It was good, but FAR from perfect. I have been among the harshest of critics of ALL of the post 2003 formats, including the current one, but when it's all said and done, you either chose to accept the outcome, no matter how contrived, or walk away, as many have. I am too much of a fan of watching race cars go around in circles to just walk away, so I deal with manufactured drama and questionable champions. If one of my drivers happens to win a championship under this format, I will celebrate it as any other, but still have the perspective to know the truth behind it. In a sane world, there is NO WAY Jimmie Johnson should have won the 2016 title, but under the rules in place, he DID, and that's just the way it is, just as it was when Richard Petty won some titles under a system that outrageously overvalued top 5 finishes and wins in 500 mile races at the expense of all of the others.

And it’s turned into a bashing JJ thread....well here’s what I think about it. Chase is De facto 1 at HMS, in my estimation we are seeing the rise of a dude that’s going to be the main man at HMS by winning races and contending for Cups. Is JJ washed up....don’t pretend to know but he’s at an age when all the greats fell off from their numbers ( Petty, Earnhardt, Waltrip, Gordon, Wallace, Smoke) it’s happened to all of them. They may not win as much but they still bring home that equipment in one piece. I believe that’s where JJ is now, however if I had to pick one guy who could steal a Championship into his late 40’s/early 50’s....it’d be the 48.

It’s all good, he won’t be watching anymore after two weeks. He’s said in the past he stops watching when the playoffs start

I know Bobby doesn’t care about championships in the current format at least but cant resist the opportunity at a nice quip :D

And it’s turned into a bashing JJ thread....well here’s what I think about it. Chase is De facto 1 at HMS, in my estimation we are seeing the rise of a dude that’s going to be the main man at HMS by winning races and contending for Cups. Is JJ washed up....don’t pretend to know but he’s at an age when all the greats fell off from their numbers ( Petty, Earnhardt, Waltrip, Gordon, Wallace, Smoke) it’s happened to all of them. They may not win as much but they still bring home that equipment in one piece. I believe that’s where JJ is now, however if I had to pick one guy who could steal a Championship into his late 40’s/early 50’s....it’d be the 48.

I'd like to see the 48 get the 8th title just to rile up all the Petty and especially Earnhardt diehards that would get all mad and upset that Jimmie has more titles. I just see something missing from the 48 and with the new playoff points system actually making the regular season a bit more meaningful, I'll be very surprised they are in Homestead this year.

HMS had 3 in the top 10.
Elliot has been on fire lately but I think that has a lot to do with them getting the OSS system. CGR still doesn’t have one so one can make a strong argument that Larson is still doing more with less. Also as far as Bristol goes Larson was by far the best car in practice so I could see them tearing that car down and finding something failed in that car to struggle that bad in the race.

Back
Top Bottom