It's Monster

Wonder if the drivers will be encouraged to date the monster girls....didn't Denny get caught with a few a couple years back??
Jeff Gordon dated one of the Girls once...... it was taboo then also..... it ended up costing him several million after he married her...... then divorced...... I'd say Brooke is living pretty well now .........

Jeff Gordon dated one of the Girls once...... it was taboo then also..... it ended up costing him several million after he married her...... then divorced...... I'd say Brooke is living pretty well now .........
He cost himself several million dollars. Peeler bar habit.

I heard she went broke.

On one had I don't blame her, but on the other hand I don't see why she would have a problem with it. Samantha could easily become a Monster girl. Only thing I can think of is that Kyle has had some "run-ins" with Monster girls in the past. (Insert Denny Hamlin joke here)

So what's the deal with Hamlin and the Monster girls? This is new to me so my apologies if it has been covered.

I must have missed something. What's happening with Mars?

Nothing that I know of. What I was saying is that the rumor I was asking about that keeps being repeated doesn't add up to me, and I'm trying to understand it better.

Monster Energy could be huge for NASCAR, but there's work to do

Fun. Edgy. Fun. Global. Fun.

Those buzzwords rang through the NASCAR news conference last week when the league introduced Monster Energy as the sponsor of its Cup series, or whatever it chooses to call it in the future.

The news conference included two mentions of "global" and three references to "edgy" ... but "fun" -- a fun, fun, fun 10 times.

It sounds good. It sounds like last Thursday could go down as a historic day in the sport. Or at least a fun day.

The potential appears awesome, and the storyline sounds so, so fun and good. But thinking NASCAR just landed a sponsor with a florescent green wand that will magically wave and automatically create great things for the sport would rate as a stretch of the imagination.

If the NASCAR-Monster pairing provided the perfect deal, they would have gotten it done six months ago and not late Wednesday night or Thursday morning of banquet week. Both sides had such little time to prepare for the news conference, they didn't have an elaborate plan, leading to even more speculation to what Monster intends to do with the sport's premier asset.

Read the rest here => http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18228920/nascar-huge-gamble-new-sponsor-monster-benefit

Couldn’t have been a better fit.

All accurately predicted months ago by a board member we all know and love.

Maybe I'm losing some of that one semester of marketing from 20 years ago. Maybe the field has evolved since. Likely both.

I can't claim to fully understand it either, I just get some of the concepts. Red Bull pioneered the strategy and created the energy drink market out of thin air. This article describes it well:

Red Bull is an energy drink that doesn’t do well in taste tests. Some say it’s too sweet. Others just shake their heads, saying, “No.” Its contents are not patented, and all the ingredients are listed on the outside of the slim silver can. Yet Red Bull has a 70 to 90 percent market share in over 100 countries worldwide. During the past 15 years, the drink has been copied by more than 100 competitors, but such companies as Coca-Cola and Anheuser-Busch have been unable to take market share away from Red Bull.

Says Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz, “If we don’t create the market, it doesn’t exist.”

Mateschitz’s secret to creating a $1.6 billion worldwide stampede for Red Bull lies in a highly ingenious “buzz-marketing” strategy that herds consumers to exclusive and exciting events that get high media coverage. Red Bull supports close to 500 world-class extreme sports athletes that compete in spectacular and often record-breaking events across the globe. Mateschitz explains, “We don’t bring the product to the consumer, we bring consumers to the product."

http://www.sellingpower.com/content...8/the-powerful-sales-strategy-behind-red-bull

Monster is doing their version of this to great success. It appears that they've maximized certain markets and are trying to broaden their customer base, sponsoring Tiger Woods and NASCAR at heavy discounts. Both are gambles. I don't know whether they are targeting 'damaged' brands purposely to have more influence, or whether they just think that the exposure they will get is more than worth it at the prices they are paying.

I was just looking up some tv info for Daytona and saw this listing. Thought it was interesting to see the name change in the listings.....

Untitled.jpg

I don't know who runs TVRacer.com, but I'm guessing he's using the phrase 'NASCAR Monster Energy' as a place-filler until the official name is announced.

I do find the use of the word 'Unlimited' interesting on Feb. 18th, as I thought that race was going to return to the 'Clash' name. But that may also be place-filler or leftover.

Hey, even Jayski hasn't bothered to update anything yet. He still has the name 'Sprint' all over the place. Racing Reference, too. I suspect these sites require manual updating. When you have to do that, you don't want to do it more than once. It's easiest to wait for the official name and update then. There's no point in doing it twice; after all, everyone interested knows what you're talking about.

If I recall correctly, it's still legally the "Sprint Cup Series" until Jan 1.
Someone may need to tell the talking heads @ SiriusXM NASCAR Radio as they are now only referring to it as the NASCAR Premier Series. It started after the conclusion of the banquet.

NASCAR to Sprint..... Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.

Welcome Monster!

In a way I don't blame them. Sprint seem's to have been pretty uncooperative and lackadaisical about sponsoring the sport the last couple of years.
I honestly dont expect much more difference other than Monster Energy cans now reading "the official sponsor of the nascar cup series".

Ive been plenty wrong before.

It is remarkable to me that a company would give millions of dollars to an entity and then be expected to promote and grow the entity. As a company owner or CEO my expectation is that I will receive a benefit from associating with the entity I am spending millions on and they will do the heavy lifting. Can you imagine a sports team selling naming rights to its stadium and then expecting the company that won the naming rights to go out and try and sell people on the team? It makes no sense at all.

It is remarkable to me that a company would give millions of dollars to an entity and then be expected to promote and grow the entity. As a company owner or CEO my expectation is that I will receive a benefit from associating with the entity I am spending millions on and they will do the heavy lifting. Can you imagine a sports team selling naming rights to its stadium and then expecting the company that won the naming rights to go out and try and sell people on the team? It makes no sense at all.
Give or invest? They are paying to have their name associated with the product. I guess they could sit back and do nothing, or by promoting the product, they may yield a much higher return on their investment. It makes perfect sense to me that they'd want to promote the product they've invested in.

Give or invest? They are paying to have their name associated with the product. I guess they could sit back and do nothing, or by promoting the product, they may yield a much higher return on their investment. It makes perfect sense to me that they'd want to promote the product they've invested in.
Yep.

Sources say Monster's deal is for only two years with an additional two year option...

Combine this with the other reports that the deal is only worth $25 million/year, about the same as a single car sponsorship, and I don't see why this is even worth it to have a title sponsor. No company is going to undertake any serious marketing "activation" campaigns on a two year deal.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster-NASCAR.aspx

NASCAR expects Monster to fulfill its contractual obligations which includes activation. That function has a dollar value attached to it.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sportbusiness-international/art-activation

Monster is there to promote itself.
Very true, but at the same time they must make it work for Nascar as they don't want to spend millions promoting a dead horse.

“Of course, sponsorship has changed since its earliest days, and though the industry makes a thing about it not being about the whim of a chairman anymore, the reality is that still happens. It’s not always a bad thing having the sort of buy-in and support from the very top which that implies.

That in my mind is what is wrong with Nascar. Brian has to much control for the good of the sort.

NASCAR expects Monster to fulfill its contractual obligations which includes activation. That function has a dollar value attached to it.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sportbusiness-international/art-activation

Monster is there to promote itself.
We're using the word 'activation' in a way that's unfamiliar to me. Googling it just turns up the uses I'm already familiar with - variations of initiate, enable, power up, etc. Can you expand on what it means in this case? I assume it doesn't mean Monster will have to pay an additional fee for the contracted sponsorship to take effect.

Very true, but at the same time they must make it work for Nascar as they don't want to spend millions promoting a dead horse.

“Of course, sponsorship has changed since its earliest days, and though the industry makes a thing about it not being about the whim of a chairman anymore, the reality is that still happens. It’s not always a bad thing having the sort of buy-in and support from the very top which that implies.

That in my mind is what is wrong with Nascar. Brian has to much control for the good of the sort.
I think the quote refers to the whims or buy-in of the sponsoring company's leadership. For example, Furniture Row or Haas might not be in NASCAR if their owners weren't already interested in auto racing. Others like Menards or Zaxby's may disappear when the supported family members leave the sport.

We're using the word 'activation' in a way that's unfamiliar to me. Googling it just turns up the uses I'm already familiar with - variations of initiate, enable, power up, etc. Can you expand on what it means in this case? I assume it doesn't mean Monster will have to pay an additional fee for the contracted sponsorship to take effect.
The sponsor has contractual activation responsibilities. He pays for those things directly ... not a fee.

Are you saying the contract requires Monster to spend money / time / resources on promoting NASCAR in addition to what they'll be paying NASCAR itself for naming rights, etc.? Any details of what is required or involved? I have only the average layman / fan's knowledge of marketing and sponsorship (or maybe less), and I've never run into this concept before. Is this common?

Thanks.

Activation refers to, among other things, what the sponsor does at the events and otherwise to promote itself, its involvement, and "enhance the fan experience". If there's a big Monster tent at the race track with Monster girls and music and drinks and merch, that's activation, and they foot the bill. There's the rights fee, and then there are promotional duties they are required to perform that are spelled out in the contract. I don't know the specifics, but this could even involve required purchasing of TV ads during the races and much more.

Activation refers to, among other things, what the sponsor does at the events and otherwise to promote itself, its involvement, and "enhance the fan experience". If there's a big Monster tent at the race track with Monster girls and music and drinks and merch, that's activation, and they foot the bill. There's the rights fee, and then there are promotional duties they are required to perform that are spelled out in the contract. I don't know the specifics, but this could even involve required purchasing of TV ads during the races and much more.
Okay, I'm familiar with the events and tools you described. I've seen similar stuff from Sprint, Winston, etc, but never knew it was a contractual requirement. I've also never heard the word 'activation' applied to them before. It strikes me as an odd use of the word, but I'm not an etymologist and don't know how it evolved in the marketing context.

Thanks. I learned something today. Now I can go home. :)

I've also never heard the word 'activation' applied to them before. It strikes me as an odd use of the word, but I'm not an etymologist and don't know how it evolved in the marketing context.

I think the origin of the term is: okay, you paid to put your name on something, that's great. Now how do you "activate" the sponsorship to engage more customers?

In reality Nascar should be paying to have their name associated with Monster as Monster is the one with the life preserver.

I didn't make past the first couple of sentences as my BS sensor pegged the needle.

You are making Brian France look like a genius and I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

He is not a genius for this but he is a Mensa member for landing the generous TV contract. Had that contract not been made available and had he not been in the right place at the right time Nascar would be under a lot more pressure then they are now.

Okay, I'm familiar with the events and tools you described. I've seen similar stuff from Sprint, Winston, etc, but never knew it was a contractual requirement. I've also never heard the word 'activation' applied to them before. It strikes me as an odd use of the word, but I'm not an etymologist and don't know how it evolved in the marketing context.

Thanks. I learned something today. Now I can go home. :)

At least they didn't trot out the word synergy.

He is not a genius for this but he is a Mensa member for landing the generous TV contract. Had that contract not been made available and had he not been in the right place at the right time Nascar would be under a lot more pressure then they are now.
Last year's buzz-word.

Try to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom