jayski

I am going to miss Jayski, I used it for a lot of things outside of the "news" part, there is a lot of good info there, like its already been mentioned, it was all contained in one easy to use spot.

Jayski posted this on Reddit

No hard feelings towards ESPN. Business is business. It's that way in NASCAR now and it always has been. They gave us a great platform for over 10 years.

The change in Jayski is as much caused by the change in social media. Anyone can break news now with their own account. If someone knows something, why pass it on to someone else when you can release it yourself?

We will see where things go from here...

I'm gonna miss the driver/team chart.

Jayski used to be the place to go for silly season rumors, paint schemes, and more. But social media has killed sites like his.

Eh they wrote more in depth articles with their tweets also. Something that many missed reading apparently. It is the same for a few, I bet Pockrass will continue to expand on many of his tweets with follow up in depth articles like he did at ESPN
Yes, the actual news articles were just short blurbs and almost pointless.

gees that is pretty clunky..nah it's really clunky :D I would love to see a Jayski 2
Yeah, its very clunky, I agree, I hope he moves forward with a 2.0 version.

Yes. It's becoming less used as people are moving more towards Stories on Facebook and Instagram. The number of active users is declining.

I much prefer Twitter (TweetDeck) to Facebook myself. You can filter out content easier, and there's a wider variety of content. Because Twitter is real-time, you're getting that variety if you follow a variety of different people.

It seems to me that there needs to be and should be another source to aggregate all of these stories and press releases. I am NOT going to go chasing down 50 different sources or follow a 1000 different people on Twiddle and Faceplant just so I can find out what is going on. Jayski USED to fill that niche nicely, but since the reformat, it has been nothing but a hot mess. I understand the reasoning why Jay would sell the site to ESPN, but he HAD to know that eventually they would ruin and then close it. If you love something, don't EVER let a big conglomerate get a hold of it. They suck the life out of everything they touch. I also understand that ESPN has some real issues, but also don't see how cover FEWER sports helps their problem. At times they probably had TOO MANY resources dedicated to NASCAR, but I don't think zero is the answer either.

ESPN has laid off more than 250 employees recently. I think their problem goes deeper than Jayski.

No, Jayski is not part of their problem, but it IS symbolic of the problems they have. They let go 100's of employees because their last president was an idiot, the lost their way, they didn't adapt well to changing market conditions and they were top heavy. For certain sports, they had analysts on top of analysts on top of analysts. They have hung on to certain personalities that drive away more viewers than they bring in, while letting more valuable people go. But as I said, if you are THE sports network, it's hard to see how completely turning your back on a whole genre of sports (auto racing) as they have helps their position any. The number of people who have no reason to tune into ANY of the ESPN channels grows daily. For years, it was the cornerstone of premium higher priced cable packages, commanding more money than sometimes dozens of other channels combined. I am a fan of MANY different sports, but today I would probably just fine with a cable package that didn't have ANY ESPN channels. I never thought i would say that.

Yes. It's becoming less used as people are moving more towards Stories on Facebook and Instagram. The number of active users is declining.

It's more a tool for media and politics than anything -
I remember back in the late '00s when people first started talking about 'microblogging'. The tool quickly became a way for those seeking publicity to reach their desired audiences, a PR tool for advertisers, celebrities, politicians, and others with an agenda to push.

Nascar laid a bunch of people off too but I’m pretty sure they don’t have any big problems.

Every single day this year ESPN has lost roughly 10,000 cable and satellite subscribers. Gobsmacked, gutted by stick n ball They be in trouble for real.

Presently ESPN has the following yearly sports rights payments: $1.9 billion a year to the NFL for Monday Night Football plus an additional playoff game which costs the network an additional $100 million, $1.47 billion to the NBA, a deal I told you flat out wasn’t sustainable back in July because it meant every single cable and satellite subscriber in the country was paying an average of $30 a year for the NBA whether they watched or not, $700 million to Major League Baseball, $608 million for the College Football Playoff, $225 million to the ACC, $190 million to the Big Ten, $120 million to the Big 12, $125 million a year to the PAC 12, and hundreds of millions more to the SEC.

Add it all up and the amounts are staggering, tens of billions of dollars in yearly fees owed regardless of what revenue looks like. With most companies you can cut costs if your revenue declines. Not ESPN. It owes these tens of billions for the next decade to come and more.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-profit-plummets-as-network-turns-left-020817/

Things I watch on ESPN:
  • An NFL playoff game (and isn't that technically on ABC?)
  • The first two rounds of The Masters.
They could disappear from Dish Network and it would probably be weeks before I'd notice. If Dish introduced 'A La Carte' programming, I'd drop them even before Lifetime or Hallmark, because they'd have the largest effect on my bill.

Every single day this year ESPN has lost roughly 10,000 cable and satellite subscribers. Gobsmacked, gutted by stick n ball They be in trouble for real.

Presently ESPN has the following yearly sports rights payments: $1.9 billion a year to the NFL for Monday Night Football plus an additional playoff game which costs the network an additional $100 million, $1.47 billion to the NBA, a deal I told you flat out wasn’t sustainable back in July because it meant every single cable and satellite subscriber in the country was paying an average of $30 a year for the NBA whether they watched or not, $700 million to Major League Baseball, $608 million for the College Football Playoff, $225 million to the ACC, $190 million to the Big Ten, $120 million to the Big 12, $125 million a year to the PAC 12, and hundreds of millions more to the SEC.

Add it all up and the amounts are staggering, tens of billions of dollars in yearly fees owed regardless of what revenue looks like. With most companies you can cut costs if your revenue declines. Not ESPN. It owes these tens of billions for the next decade to come and more.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-profit-plummets-as-network-turns-left-020817/

ESPN2 fell to fourth place among the cable sports networks. NBCSN and FS1 both surpassed it, and much of that was motorsports-driven coverage, which BTW, NBCSN has gone all in on.

It's difficult to find reasonable, agenda-free analysis about ESPN because they became such a cultural and political lightning rod. @Formerjackman's posts are mostly on point.

Obviously ESPN has made a business calculation that covering NASCAR and most other motorsports is not a profitable enterprise. That's unfortunate. I'm glad that Fox and especially NBC see it differently.

As for Twitter dying, um, ok. People have been saying that since at least 2016. I think it'll be with us for a while longer.

ESPN and Nascar are in the same boat with laying people off and FOX and NBC are in the same boat as ESPN. FOX and NBC have to pay out the wazoo for Nascar and their us no relief in store.

Twitter could be similar to Nascar in that the less popular it becomes the more profitable it is. At least I think that is how it goes.

I like Twitter, use it way more than any other social media platform. If you spend time with it and get your feed full of the stuff you like, it’s great - and can be a great source for quick (usually reliable if you pick the right sources) sports news.

Twitter’s MAU has been going down but the DAU and engagement times are going up. Fewer people are using it but the ones that are using it are more engaged.

ESPN and Nascar are in the same boat with laying people off and FOX and NBC are in the same boat as ESPN. FOX and NBC have to pay out the wazoo for Nascar and their us no relief in store.

Unless NASCAR's scaleback is part of a consolidation effort to make NASCAR more attractive to potential buyers.

I'm gonna miss the driver/team chart.

I remember when I was a teenager and got my first computer. Jayski was one of the sites I would visit everyday. After a while with Twitter and other websites I ended up going on there more in the off season just for the driver/team chart, to keep track of where everyone was going to be when the season started.

If the posts in this thread are indicative of the overall view if jayski at this point in time, then it's really not any wonder that their time has come to a close. Long ago, it was the first place I'd visit on the net every day. Between ESPN's bastardization of a once great site and Twitter's immediate release of NASCAR news/information, I found myself clicking on that jayski bookmark less and less. It'll be interesting to see if there is still enough interest to possibly go Gluck's Patreon route. That may work for them and possible it could be a chance to regain their unique personality. Maybe then it could gain the appeal that it once had.

Laughing at the ESPN hate. ESPN is still a goto place for me. Not the website, but it's array of channels sure are. I like college sports and their coverage is 2nd to none in that area. Their addition of ESPN+ has opened up a new avenue to view a wide variety of otherwise non televised sports. Their smart tv app is awesome and well laid out. Easy to find and watch areas of interest.

I like Twitter, use it way more than any other social media platform. If you spend time with it and get your feed full of the stuff you like, it’s great - and can be a great source for quick (usually reliable if you pick the right sources) sports news.

Twitter’s MAU has been going down but the DAU and engagement times are going up. Fewer people are using it but the ones that are using it are more engaged.

Twitter sounds like a great platform if you have it set up properly. I think one reason I haven’t signed up for Twitter is that unless there is an emergency I don’t care about knowing things right away.

If HMS announces it is switching to Ford and I don’t find out about it for a day or 2 or a week I am fine with it.

Unless NASCAR's scaleback is part of a consolidation effort to make NASCAR more attractive to potential buyers.

I don’t think Nascar will be worth anymore than it is today as it has all the attributes of a declining property.

I thought the site was almost unnavigable after the ESPN takeover. I'd try to find something and somehow I'd wind up back on the main page or whatever the page for the next particular race was. Big pain in the ass outside of the team charts, practice/qualifying speeds, and paint schemes. It used to be an absolute go-to, bookmarked type of site for me. Unfortunately NASCAR.com also still sucks so Twitter it is for me.

As for ESPN...well, I think anyone deathbedding them (not unlike deathbedding NASCAR) isn't likely to be correct in the near future. They've bungled a lot over the past decade or so but personally I can say I still wouldn't be able to eliminate them from my TV preferences. I need them just as much I need NBCSN to follow my sports of choice.

But don't forget the profit last season.

I would forget my head if it wasn’t screwed on! So long as ISC turns a profit it doesn’t matter what else happens! The cars could be all unsponsored and there could be no fans in attendance and ISC would still be rolling in it:D

I thought the site was almost unnavigable after the ESPN takeover. I'd try to find something and somehow I'd wind up back on the main page or whatever the page for the next particular race was. Big pain in the ass outside of the team charts, practice/qualifying speeds, and paint schemes. It used to be an absolute go-to, bookmarked type of site for me. Unfortunately NASCAR.com also still sucks so Twitter it is for me.

As for ESPN...well, I think anyone deathbedding them (not unlike deathbedding NASCAR) isn't likely to be correct in the near future. They've bungled a lot over the past decade or so but personally I can say I still wouldn't be able to eliminate them from my TV preferences. I need them just as much I need NBCSN to follow my sports of choice.

In general I think younger people gravitate toward ESPN more than people in my age group. Of course there are always exceptions but if my theory is correct ESPN is positioning itself well. It doesn’t matter what product you are selling because if you don’t have new customers in the pipeline your future is very grim.

I think one reason I haven’t signed up for Twitter is that unless there is an emergency I don’t care about knowing things right away.
This, in high gear, with the pedal on the floor. This place does a great job of keeping me in the loop, in a timely enough fashion to suit me.

GAK! Not that I've been there since ESPN took over, I just hate losing an icon.
Jayski‏ @jayski
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Very humbling and overwhelming. We have enjoyed doing what we do. Not sure of the status of this account in the future but we might hop on from time to time if we can.

4:04 PM - 28 Jan 2019

Back
Top Bottom