Jimmie Johnson - SEVEN time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion

I'll never say Jimmie Johnson isn't one of the best drivers of all time but did Petty or Sr ever have nascar help them with a bs caution to win a 1 off race to win a championship? Exactly.

It really is a fool's errand to compare across eras. NASCAR has been no stranger to instances of favoritism since the beginning. NASCAR threw the phony caution to create drama, not for the #48 specifically. Right now the championship battle is a silly roll of the dice for the top 8-10 teams in the sport. Any of them can win, and if the Chase were re-ran again right now, the outcome would likely be different. But that isn't the competitors' fault, and the guy who comes out on top and gets to hoist the trophy is the winner.

This argument happens every time Jimmie wins. It's pretty funny. The greats of the sport and his own peers agree that JJ is one of the greats of all time, completely deserving of being mentioned with Petty and Earnhardt. Haters gonna hate.

but that wasn't the way the game was played back then. he did what he needed to do.
It really is a fool's errand to compare across eras. NASCAR has been no stranger to instances of favoritism since the beginning. NASCAR threw the phony caution to create drama, not for the #48 specifically. Right now the championship battle is a silly roll of the dice for the top 8-10 teams in the sport. Any of them can win, and if the Chase were re-ran again right now, the outcome would likely be different. But that isn't the competitors' fault, and the guy who comes out on top and gets to hoist the trophy is the winner.

I'm not comparing eras though or denying Jimmies abilities as an amazing race car driver. Nascar threw the caution cause Jimmie wasn't up near the front towards the end of the race. Carl was leading, Kyle and Logano weren't that far behind. The drama was there but their boy Jimmie wasn't so they helped as much as possible to get him a shot in there. Show me a scenario where that happened with Sr or Petty. I don't claim to know everything about those eras, I just never recall hearing anything about nascar helping them getting a shot at winning a championship as clear as day as this was.

I don't even hate Jimmie, he's a great racer and seems like a great guy. I just don't like being insulted with nascars garbage like this and I'm not giving them any more of my money for awhile.

Last edited:
Chad's in a press conference right now talking about how they need to get better. After winning the championship. This man is never satisfied. Which is why they are the best.

Petty and Earnhardt drove very different cars though, rear steer no power and bias ply tires, shocks, suspension and brakes were awful, there was never and never will be a driver that could get the most out of a bad car as Earnhardt. That's not to knock JJ but seriously I don't think he'd stand a chance in an old school stock car.

I am pretty sure that JJ and CK would have been champs and multiple race winners regardless of era. Can you imagine what things would be like if CK had latitude in picking bits and pieces and setting up the car?

I don't even hate Jimmie, he's a great racer and seems like a great guy. I just don't like being insulted with nascars garbage like this and I'm not giving them any more of money for awhile.

Just watch it for what it is. A dopey reality show version of auto racing. Maybe someday Brian will get bored and someone who, y'know, likes motorsports will take over and restore some order and integrity. If that happens, all of the people who defend it to the hilt now will like that too, because they're loyal and see the bright side of everything. Until then, just let go and have fun with it.

People always say you can't compare different eras. I'm not going to compare Jimmie's seven chase titles to Earnhardt or Petty's championships.

i will:

average staring position:
Richard Petty 9.547
Jimmie Johnson 11.096
Dale Earnhardt 12.898

average finishing position:
Dale Earnhardt 11.061
Richard Petty 11.267
Jimmie Johnson 12.085

only one of those have a higher finish position from where they started.:D

I'm not comparing eras though or denying Jimmies abilities as an amazing race car driver. Nascar threw the caution cause Jimmie wasn't up near the front towards the end of the race. Carl was leading, Kyle and Logano weren't that far behind. The drama was there but their boy Jimmie wasn't so they helped as much as possible to get him a shot in there. Show me a scenario where that happened with Sr or Petty. I don't claim to know everything about those eras, I just never recall hearing anything about nascar helping them getting a shot at winning a championship as clear as day as this was.

I don't even hate Jimmie, he's a great racer and seems like a great guy. I just don't like being insulted with nascars garbage like this and I'm not giving them any more of my money for awhile.

You can't be surprised as Nascar has been insulting the intelligence of its audience for years.

This argument happens every time Jimmie wins. It's pretty funny. The greats of the sport and his own peers agree that JJ is one of the greats of all time, completely deserving of being mentioned with Petty and Earnhardt. Haters gonna hate.

You can acknowledge jimmies greatness but also acknowledge that this title was an absolute fluke. And most people are blaming NASCAR, not blaming Jimmie for winning it. He did his job

You can acknowledge jimmies greatness but also acknowledge that this title was an absolute fluke. And most people are blaming NASCAR, not blaming Jimmie for winning it. He did his job
I can agree with that. The system is idiotic, for sure.

Congrats to the 48 team. I'm sad for Carl because he should have won it if it weren't for that phony caution with 15 to go, and I'm also sad for the 42 team. They clearly had the best car all night. But the rules are what they are, and the 48 team got the job done, so congrats to them.

If they got what they wanted, why change the format?

No offense to Johnson fans. But what Johnson has done is in no comparison to what Petty and Earnhardt did. Those guys had to win it over the whole season, not a 10-race format where Johnson has won all of his.

Which makes it harder I think. To be consistently that good down the stretch to win 5 years in a row and 7 overall is insane. A playoff system is designed directly to avoid this, so the fact he has is mindblowing

Glad I got to witness history today. Congrats to Johnson and the 48 team and thanks to Edwards for wrecking himself.

Which makes it harder I think. To be consistently that good down the stretch to win 5 years in a row and 7 overall is insane. A playoff system is designed directly to avoid this, so the fact he has is mindblowing

In the respect that the system has been recreated to avoid multiple championships , I agree Jimmie and Chad have done something special.

If they got what they wanted, why change the format?

No offense to Johnson fans. But what Johnson has done is in no comparison to what Petty and Earnhardt did. Those guys had to win it over the whole season, not a 10-race format where Johnson has won all of his.

I used to look at it that way and if it was still the same they would have raced different and still won it all. I looked at a chart last night showing Petty was King untill 79, starting in 80 it was Dale's era and now JJ has his own era. He won it under ALL Chase formats so he raced the best and beat them all until Brad interfered. Congratulations to the 48 team. How long will they stay together to try for 8?

afae0b7bacf448eba6cab943df54a22a

Let me compare Nascar's chase vs the NFL playoffs.

Imagine all 32 NFL teams playing each other on the field at the same time.

Tom Brady and the patriots are going for the Super Bowl win against the cowboys. Brady steps back to throw the ball, and its intercepted by Josh Norman of the Redskins. That's Nascar's chase system. It doesn't make any sense.

Go ahead, rip that apart, because that will upset some of you and you'll call me crazy, but that's a prime example of how you can't compare stick and ball sports vs auto racing, and exactly why Nascar shouldn't be trying to follow their playoff systems.

Before yesterday's race Johnson was 9th in points. The absurdity of how Nascar picks its champion directly correlates to why the sport has seen double digit percentage drops in ratings and why tracks are literally knocking down stands.

Good for him, He deserves it. No matter what format the key to success in NASCAR is to not overdrive the car as it has been since the 1940s.

Let me compare Nascar's chase vs the NFL playoffs.

Imagine all 32 NFL teams playing each other on the field at the same time.

Tom Brady and the patriots are going for the Super Bowl win against the cowboys. Brady steps back to throw the ball, and its intercepted by Josh Norman of the Redskins. That's Nascar's chase system. It doesn't make any sense.

Go ahead, rip that apart, because that will upset some of you and you'll call me crazy, but that's a prime example of how you can't compare stick and ball sports vs auto racing, and exactly why Nascar shouldn't be trying to follow their playoff systems.

Before yesterday's race Johnson was 9th in points. The absurdity of how Nascar picks its champion directly correlates to why the sport has seen double digit percentage drops in ratings and why tracks are literally knocking down stands.

No argument from me.

When this guy has to take off his shoes to count his Championships, than that will be it, I'll be outta here! In the meantime, every time the clock strikes 7:48 I'm going to shout his name in vain.

Cxyt9JHVEAAx4nD.jpg:large

i agree the chase system is an absolute gimmick and I don't like it. but it's utter nonsense to think that nascar is intentionally trying to get Johnson championships over anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom