Jimmie Johnson - SEVEN time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion

i agree the chase system is an absolute gimmick and I don't like it. but it's utter nonsense to think that nascar is intentionally trying to get Johnson championships over anyone else.

That caution that gone thrown out when Edwards was leading with 15 to go would have never been thrown out if Johnson was out front instead. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that's true.

To be honest, I'm disappointed Jimmie Johnson just won his seventh championship.

If the Chase had never been invented, Jimmie would have three championships, and would have finished seventh in points this year.

That said, congrats to Jimmie Johnson for taking advantage of the rules and winning in this format.

To be honest, I'm disappointed Jimmie Johnson just won his seventh championship.

If the Chase had never been invented, Jimmie would have three championships, and would have finished seventh in points this year.

That said, congrats to Jimmie Johnson for taking advantage of the rules and winning in this format.

**** out of here with that nonsense.

Jimmie's never won Homestead before because he never had to. This Chase was virtually designed to be Jimmie-proof and he still won with it. If they were still using the old points system, Jimmie Johnson would have found ways to win championships. Just like he keeps finding new ways to win races.

For everyone who says that Jimmie Johnson's championships are illegitimate, have you seen some of the weird pre-Winston Cup point systems that Petty won under?

Back in the 60's (I think), the amount of points awarded in a given race were somehow correlated to the size of the purse.

The bigger the race, the more points to be had, meaning that the winner of the Daytona 500 got a boatload more points than the race winner of a dirt track in the backwoods somewhere.

That all changed around when Winston came on-board.

When this guy has to take off his shoes to count his Championships, than that will be it, I'll be outta here! In the meantime, every time the clock strikes 7:48 I'm going to shout his name in vain.

Cxyt9JHVEAAx4nD.jpg:large
:D

**** out of here with that nonsense.

Jimmie's never won Homestead before because he never had to. This Chase was virtually designed to be Jimmie-proof and he still won with it. If they were still using the old points system, Jimmie Johnson would have found ways to win championships. Just like he keeps finding new ways to win races.

I love how people think that the 48 or any other driver/team would race/operate the exact same way they do under this format as they do under older formats

I love how people think that the 48 or any other driver/team would race/operate the exact same way they do under this format as they do under older formats

You can clearly see the difference in how different teams race especially after they have a win in the bag and have made the lottery round. Some drivers stay out and gamble on fuel while others either take tires or stay out on old tires as what happens in the race has no impact on what happens in the final 10 races. If you have won a race and get crashed out or get bit by the mechanical bug there is not reason to break your neck to get back on the track unless the team just wants experience.

Fortieth to First For the Forty-eight, Fantastic
30% skill
10% crew chief
60% Luck
at this race.
He may have had a chance against Joey had he not crashed, Jimmy's car was set up for that final dash and Chad did it right. There was still some tough competition for him to pass.
Joey helped Jeff Gordon into the final race in 2015 and helped Jimmy win in 2016, hmmmmmm maybe Joey is Kasey's replacement? lol

So..... Now that Jeff is retired again and Jimmie won the Nascar Championship, will we be seeing Jeff Gordon taking his rightful seat next to Jimmie as the owner of the #48?

Guys check out these stats

Since 2012, Johnson has won atleast 4 races in each of those seasons. In fact, Jimmie has won less than 3 races only one season and has won less than 4 only 3 times.

Crazy

Even though I was wanting Edwards to win a Cup in retribution for 2011... (that's not really a good word for his loss because Tony won it fair and square)...... I am not displeased that Jimmie won his 7th..... he and Chad have shown over the years that they are a powerhouse of a team and cannot be discounted in any way.... I was so surprised to read that midway thru the season Rick considered splitting them up... I thought Rick was smarter than even to consider that..... I think that would have been the death knoll to them both... The chemistry they have together only comes very seldom ..........

I disagree everbody knew the rules and the criteria at the beginning of the season, he just beat them, plain and simple.

I disagree everbody knew the rules and the criteria at the beginning of the season, he just beat them, plain and simple.
Agree with you,

PeopleAreStrange like other here, doesn't understand that Jimmie might have 9 championships the other way. No One Knows, because it didn't happen. You can't just take numbers and add them up to see who the champ would have been. There are all kinds of situation variables that come into play in a race depending on what the championship format is

When I was a boy they cried about Petty getting special treatment.
They cried about Dale too (and they still do).
Now they cry about Jimmie.

Bring on the tears, that's some good company, 21 championships, and the tears is part of the tradition.

He will win it this year to and the the next year and so on... every year until he retires!

I think the rest of his career will be similar to Gordon's and other top drivers. The wins will become fewer and farther apart - that's just the way it is for drivers with long careers.
I could picture him walking away if/when he wins #8. Drop the mike, go out as a legend on top and keep people wondering, "what if he didn't retire then?" Kind of like those that wonder how many more championships and wins would David Pearson have if he ran full time his whole career.

HE will win every race the rest of year then win championship.. he is that great!!

Back
Top Bottom