Jimmy Spencer sure busted RCR.

From this we can deduce one or more of the following...

1) NASCAR has their heads in the sand and missed Race Hub.
2) Mike Helton thinks the radios in the cars are for listening to music during long races.
3) Morons can indeed become executives in a large corporation.
4) We're going to see more of this crap.

Or

5) SPEED selectively edited the audio to push an agenda (wouldn't be the first time, MSNBC and FOX "News" Channel do this a lot) and NASCAR has more information on this than what SPEED is publishing.

Or

5) SPEED selectively edited the audio to push an agenda (wouldn't be the first time, MSNBC and FOX "News" Channel do this a lot) and NASCAR has more information on this than what SPEED is publishing.

Sadly, I have more faith in Spencer than I do NASCAR.

An Oliver Stone Production.....

jfk_medium.jpg

Nice Job :D

Sadly, I have more faith in Spencer than I do NASCAR.

I don't trust either. SPEED has ALWAYS had an anti-Harvick agenda. Now that he and Kryle are bitter enemies, it's even more evident. This is the network that openly cheers for Kyle to win Truck races.

They were dead ass wrong in 2006 when they said Harvick cheated and would be penalized. NASCAR said he was not cheating, that his car passed inspection. The following week, Burton won the race at Dover -- SPEED continued with their "Harvick cheated" nonsense but never once made the same claim about Harvick's team car. SPEED has a history, with Harvick, of trying to discredit his wins.

Hell, if it were Kyle Busch who won and a team car stopped to bring out a caution, Spencer would be on saying how brilliant it was, saying Kyle Busch was the greatest driver in the history of racing for winning, and hand Gordon "the crying towel".

SPEED's coverage of everything (except Grand-Am and AMA Motocross) depends on who the driver is... goes to their parent company at FOX (pro Cowboys, anti Redskins, pro Yankees, pro Republican and anti Obama).

It always amazes me when something is so obvious that it pretty much slaps you in the face...yet people find a way to argue that it is not truth.....it sounds a lot like politics! lol

It always amazes me when something is so obvious that it pretty much slaps you in the face...yet people find a way to argue that it is not truth.....it sounds a lot like politics! lol

It's like living in an alternate reality...with no lights.

That's awesome Kimmel. Too bad you couldn't throw in a grassy knoll. :D

I have one question...

Most of the teams have a secure channel, a scrambled 800 radio frequency. Why would RCR discuss this chit on a channel that everyone can listen to?

I have one question...

Most of the teams have a secure channel, a scrambled 800 radio frequency. Why would RCR discuss this chit on a channel that everyone can listen to?

They haven't taught Menard how to work the radio buttons.

It was a sloppy operation for sure. I don't think stupidity should be a defense against guilt.

Yeah it would've been..typo!

But you know what I am sayin...I mean is paul menard gonna say "yeah I did it..so what." Point is I don't think that article holds any weight in the situation.

It seems like we've only been hearing one side of the story to all of this. Is Spencer simply taking these scanner bites out of context for his own benefit? Maybe everything isn't as it seems or maybe Menard has just been working on an excuse before opening his mouth?

From Dustin Long.....

Menard tells website that he did not intentionally spin at end of Richmond race

Paul Menard told SB Nation Thursday night that he did not intentionally spin to create a caution at the end of last weekend’s race at Richmond and that comments made on his radio channel were misconstrued. Menard spoke after a sponsor appearance at a Menard's store near Chicagoland Speedway.

Menard’s action grew under fire when Jeff Gordon said Thursday that late-race spin was “fishy’’ since it proved to help teammate Kevin Harvick beat Jeff Gordon to win at Richmond.

NASCAR later issued a statement Thursday saying that it had no evidence of Menard’s actions being intentional.

Menard told SB Nation that he was looking to get even with Matt Kenseth in the race. Menard said that Kenseth wrecked him earlier in the race.

When Menard’s team told him that “we don’t need a caution right now’’ it was in response to Menard’s plan to retaliate against Kenseth.

As for his spin, Menard told SB Nation that: “The car was wrecked and tore to pieces. It’s behind the fab shop now, a pile of junk.

And another article on this.....

Paul Menard: Richmond Spin And Caution Were Not Intentional

Paul Menard's spin toward the end of last weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Richmond International Raceway was not intentional, the driver told SB Nation on Thursday night.

Menard, speaking after an autograph signing at a Menards store near Chicagoland Speedway, said the radio communication with his team about cautions was misconstrued.

When Menard's team told him, "We don't need a caution right now," the driver said it was in response to a planned retaliation attempt on Matt Kenseth.

Kenseth had wrecked Menard earlier in the race, the driver said.

"We got wrecked early, and I was going to pay back the guy, but they said we didn't need a caution," Menard said. "(Kevin) Harvick was running pretty good at the time. That's where the whole caution thing came in."

The Richard Childress Racing driver's spin had come into question when Richmond runner-up Jeff Gordon wondered aloud about the timing of the caution, which allowed Harvick (Menard's teammate) to catch Gordon and eventually win the race.

Gordon called the caution "a little fishy" when speaking with reporters earlier Thursday, citing the radio chatter. But Menard said the communications were about his plans for Kenseth.

"I was going to retaliate and then they said, 'We don't need a caution,'" Menard said. "So (that meant), 'Do not retaliate and cause a caution.'"

But Menard eventually spun out when Gordon was leading – not Harvick. Did Menard spin intentionally to help his teammate catch up?

"No," he said. "The car was wrecked and tore to pieces. It's behind the fab shop now, a pile of junk. You'd put new tires on and it would feel pretty good. After 10 laps, it was total ****."

Menard said he hasn't heard or read anything about the controversy this week – nor has he heard a replay of his radio chatter – but learned of the uproar through his public relations representatives.

Was he surprised the spin had become an issue?

"No," he said. "People need something to talk about, I guess."

Childress on NASCAR Radio's TMD this morning.....

"There were no team orders for Paul Menard to spin" at Richmond.

Richard Childress also tells "The Morning Drive" that if RCR had asked Paul Menard to spin intentionally at RIR, he wouldn't have.

"Anyone who knows Paul Menard knows he wouldn't have done it because he's not that type of person."

People can debate, argue, fight, complain, defend and even completely ignore what took place but I'll tell you one thing; no one is convincing me of anything different than that which I seen take place.

Menard spun himself out to get a caution and he's not the first and he will will not be the last.

People can debate, argue, fight, complain, defend and even completely ignore what took place but I'll tell you one thing; no one is convincing me of anything different than that which I seen take place.

Menard spun himself out to get a caution and he's not the first and he will will not be the last.

Agreed! I have said two times in this thread already, what the heck do you expect Menard (and RC for that matter) to say..."yeah we did it, we spun on purpose..it was team orders?"

It is not like it even really matters at this point...its over! The only thing is there should of been a hefty penalty to Menard and RC for it...but that aint gonna happen...life moves on....

"Is Spencer simply taking these scanner bites out of context for his own benefit?"

Just to avert THAT conspiracy theory, Spencer did indeed point out that Menard was trying to wreck Matt at the time he was told "We don't need a yellow".

What I found most disturbing is the CONSTANT updates relayed to Menard about who was leading. As soon as Gordon passes Harvick, it's back to "actual" racing business with Menard saying he thinks he has a tire going down. Staying out is very fishy. The spin itself is also very fishy. Dillon asking to speak to someone on the secure channel is fishy.

According to Spencer, he feels that this isn't over and we'll be hearing a lot this weekend. Dustin has requested a full transcript of the radio chatter, so perhaps NASCAR did the same.

I really hope NASCAR doesn't ignore this. Look into it in a public way and then explaining your decision is the only way to show integrity in the sport. To sit and let this play out as good drama for the sport would be a disservice. Heck, they just had PotUS make a public WWF reference.

Good job gettin' the dirt, Jimmy! Busted! :beerbang:

I wonder if Childress is gonna try to punch him?

Here's all the radio chatter

http://bit.ly/pCpQ6r

Thanks to Dustin Long, we can see the transcript of radio traffic provided by Speed, along with explainations Menard and some others provide.

Cool, thanks for the link but I sure would have liked to have heard what took place on channel #2. I didn't get as much out of that transcript as everyone is making out of it.

I agree especially not knowing what was going on around Menard at different points? You would have to tie the audio in with realtime video to truly understand it.
I guess I misunderstood all along about the 2nd channel chatter, I was under the impression it was from Dillon to Menard? Not Dillon to Slugger, was there ever any "secret" transmissions to Menard at all???

I agree especially not knowing what was going on around Menard at different points? You would have to tie the audio in with realtime video to truly understand it.
I guess I misunderstood all along about the 2nd channel chatter, I was under the impression it was from Dillon to Menard? Not Dillon to Slugger, was there ever any "secret" transmissions to Menard at all???

It doesn't sound like it from what I read there but we'll probably find out eventually if SPEED has the entire feed. One other thing that stands out to me from the article is that..... NOTE: Understand, these conversations are put together but they take place over the last 50 laps or so, so the conversations are not as instantaneous as they might seem.

The Menard/Richmond spin issue isn't over yet. Mike Helton just told reporters NASCAR is still investigating the incident.

Mike Helton said he will listen to audio of Paul Menard channel from last Saturday b/c all the speculation.

More from Dustin Long

NASCAR investigating Richard Childress Racing & Menard for Richmond spin

NASCAR President Mike Helton said Friday morning at Chicagoland Speedway that series officials are investigating Paul Menard’s spin late in the Richmond race that played a role in helping teammate Kevin Harvick win that race.

Helton said he has yet to hear the audio from Menard’s radio chatter (transcript can be found here).

“We’re going to look into it and see if there’s anything,’’ Helton said. “A lot of it is going to be interpretation. Certainly, it’s on us to understand exactly what all we can find as far as facts are concerned.

“It’s on all of our shoulders to get the facts right and if there’s something there, we should find out about it and be sure that we’ve got it right.’’

Helton said that series officials will look at video of the caution itself to determine “if it appears that there … it was done on purpose.’’ He also said series officials will get access to the audio.

Car owner Richard Childress issued a statement Friday denying any wrongdoing by his team at Richmond.

Helton confirmed that Jeff Gordon has talked to him about the role of teammates. Gordon described Menard’s spin as “fishy’’ on Thursday when talking to the media.

Helton said there is nothing specific in the rule book that bars the issue of team orders. However, Helton noted that it could fall under the general rule of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing).

Asked if there will be a warning given to drivers before Sunday’s race, Helton noted that drivers were given a warning before the Richmond race to let the race unfold naturally.

“We routinely remind the guys to let the race unfold itself,’’ Helton said. “We joke about there not being gentlemen agreements in our sport, but I do feel like there’s a code of ethics among drivers that is alive and well and very strong, particularly in the Sprint Cup garage.

“ I’m not necessarily overwhelmed by the chatter (of team orders) so far. Certainly, we need to get our facts right and find out, what, if anything went on, and be prepared to officiate it. As in the past, we’ve had conversations with drivers and car owners that are involved in the Chase or even before the Chase. I still think the code of ethics among the drivers on the race track is really, really strong.’’

Dustin Long is one of the best journalists covering NASCAR (just earning the tag 'journalist' covering nascar is rare). It's a shame he's out of work after this season. THE hardest working reporter, bar none. They have to kick him out of the media center week after week. This guy would bring some integrity to Turners coverage of the sport.

Harvick beat Gordon out of the pits. Harvick's pit crew got Harvick out of the pits quicker than Gordon. Bottom line, Harvick beat Gordon out of the pits.

How did Menards spin accomplish this?

I wonder when one of these media clowns is going to BUST NASCRAP.....Like setting up a hidden radar gun and proving they let some get away with speeding, and others they don't....or the infamous speeding on pit road B.S. without providing the networks with the REAL TIME timing....Jimmy Spencer was an enjoyable interview back in the day....now he's just trying to prolong his broadcasting career.....

Harvick beat Gordon out of the pits. Harvick's pit crew got Harvick out of the pits quicker than Gordon. Bottom line, Harvick beat Gordon out of the pits.

How did Menards spin accomplish this?

My point earlier in this endless topic exactly. Even if Menard was told to spin that did NOT just hand the win over to Harvick. He still had to....

A: Beat Gordon and EVERYONE else out of the pits.
B: Beat Gordon and EVERYONE else the final laps.

Next thing we will hear is that RCR paid off Gordon's crew to let Harvick out first:rolleyes:

My point earlier in this endless topic exactly. Even if Menard was told to spin that did NOT just hand the win over to Harvick. He still had to....

Next thing we will hear is that RCR paid off Gordon's crew to let Harvick out first:rolleyes:

And to repeat a question I had already asked, why would a team conduct something like this on a channel that everyone listens to when they have a scrambled channel.

If you all think NASCAR is that corrupt and allows this sort of thing, move along. Go watch chess or something.

I don't think that anyone has said it handed Harvick the win....Harvick's pit crew got the job done and he had the best car on short runs..no doubt about it.

However, do you think Harvick coulda run Gordon down, whose car was better on longer runs, if the race had stayed green? The point is not that it handed Harvick a win, it only gave him a MUCH better shot at it than he had otherwise......

As bad as I hate to give him credit Kyle Petty just had a very good point during practice just now. The #51 spun in the exact same spot Menard did and didn't get a caution. So unless you think Nascar was involved in this conspiracy......

As bad as I hate to give him credit Kyle Petty just had a very good point during practice just now. The #51 spun in the exact same spot Menard did and didn't get a caution. So unless you think Nascar was involved in this conspiracy......

Oh, because we all know how consistent NASCAR is:rolleyes:
Come on Stewart Fan...you know better than that

I just saw Menards spin. It's actually pretty easy to do, if you forget to ease off the wheel when coming out of the turn. He did it, I'm sure of it now. He doesn't even try to move up toward the wall while exiting turn 4. He clearly drives the exit holding the car way down and that causes him to spin.

I have the advantage of a DVR frame by frame playback, and the back end doesn't come around and cause the spin. The front end is 2 or 3 lanes below normal exit long before the back gets loose.

INTENTIONAL, no doubt, and I think every driver who watches the video will be sure too.

If Menard gets his story straight, RCR will probably get away with it. I'm not assuming Kevin knew anything about this before it happened. It just might be Menard and his CC, maybe Dillon too.

I just saw Menards spin. It's actually pretty easy to do, if you forget to ease off the wheel when coming out of the turn. He did it, I'm sure of it now. He doesn't even try to move up toward the wall while exiting turn 4. He clearly drives the exit holding the car way down and that causes him to spin.

I have the advantage of a DVR frame by frame playback, and the back end doesn't come around and cause the spin. The front end is 2 or 3 lanes below normal exit long before the back gets loose.

INTENTIONAL, no doubt, and I think every driver who watches the video will be sure too.

If Menard gets his story straight, RCR will probably get away with it. I'm not assuming Kevin knew anything about this before it happened. It just might be Menard and his CC, maybe Dillon too.

Last I checked cars 80 laps down don't run in the racing line.

Last I checked cars 80 laps down don't run in the racing line.

IF someone is behind them. There wasn't. Not even close.

Speaking of 80 laps down, when's the last time you heard a CC tell a driver who thought he had a flat to stay out when he's 80 down? How about giving constant updates about the battle for the lead to a driver 80 laps down?

Back
Top Bottom