Logano's Richmond win will not earn him a playoff spot

I sense a certain Penske 1-2 at a certain plate track coming up.

Its on now.

No rear skew required:

lHf972a.png

Best part of this is he won bc of pit strategy not a tricked out suspension making his car faster.. he wasn't even in the top 5 most of the day lol
Imagine how bad the 22 would've been with a legit setup.:p

The team violated the rule that states “a pinion angle shim mating surface … must be in complete contact … at all times.”

Gordon was on “The Morning Drive” on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Friday to discuss the penalty and what’s next for the team.

“We take penalties with a lot of seriousness and try to identify how that happened and where procedurally we missed and understanding the bounds of what has to happen to make sure we don’t have issues like this,’’ Gordon said. “We’ve been through that. There’s some investigations going on internally. I think we understand the direction that we need to go, and we’ll make sure we’re not putting ourselves in that situation anymore.’’

Team Penske announced Thursday that it will not appeal the penalty. Gordon will miss this weekend’s race at Talladega Superspeedway and next weekend’s race at Kansas Speedway. Race engineer Miles Stanley will serve as Logano’s crew chief this weekend. Greg Erwin, a crew chief in the organization’s Xfinity program, will help call race strategy Sunday.

Gordon said on “The Morning Drive” that there was a gap of about 1/32 inch between the pinion shim and the truck arm surface on the right truck arm.

Gordon explained what happened:

“In order for the suspension to actually move, parts have to bend. … If every part is infinitely stiff, the system won’t move. It needs to have something flexing. It’s a small amount of flex, but there are parts that move. Through 400 laps at Richmond and how many pit stops and pit road launches and restarts, things move a little bit.

“It was legal when it rolled across the NASCAR inspection platform to start with (before the race), and I would say just race loads and everything else, it became low enough in load that the back of the pinion gap opened up a 32nd of an inch.’’

Gordon also said: “If you look at our rear suspension … there’s not really a whole lot of tomfoolery that goes on to hide something like this. We don’t work that way at Team Penske, try to stay on the up and up and push the things to where we can. Pre-race, there was not a gap there.’’

Gordon noted that NASCAR rewrote rules regarding suspension pieces in the offseason “because everybody chases the skew word. That’s a hot topic within the garage. I think that’s one thing I’d like to point out. This is a right side truck arm. With the track bar being attached to the left side truck arm, most of all the pieces, at least from what I understand and maybe I’m missing some things, all the skew-related pieces are going to happen on the left side.

“This wasn’t anything that was pertaining to skew, that’s a word that everybody uses and that’s how the cars kind of run sideways down the race track, which helps them aerodynamically. We weren’t in that situation.’’

Best part of this is he won bc of pit strategy not a tricked out suspension making his car faster.. he wasn't even in the top 5 most of the day lol

Yup.

And Brad's car was awesome, and it went through post-race tech inspection and Passed. The Penske magic is still alive!

As for the "chevy" comment above: Ray Evernham was one of the biggest innovators (cheaters) in NASCAR. Just listened to him talk about working the NASCAR Officials as JG's car went through inspections. He counted it as a win when NASCAR only found 1 or 2 items that were not to spec, when he had more...

Also, Junior gave a great press conference today, and his opinion of how Team Penske found an advantage with the rear suspension was "impressive".

===

by Michael Finley (4 years ago)

That is what separates the great crew chiefs of today, such as a Chad Knaus or a Paul Wolfe, from the good to decent crew chiefs today. Notice Smokey said “some”- at the time he was writing this, Ray Evernham was dominating the Cup series with Jeff Gordon. Jeff is a great driver, but it would be stupid to say he dominated based off of pure talent alone. If he did, why has he only won one championship and 30 some races after 13 years Evernham-less, when he won 3 championships and over 50 races with Evernham the 7 years they were together?

The modern day Evernham is Knaus. Like Evernham, Knaus has had some questionable parts- Evernham had the T-Rex car and Knaus had last year’s Daytona C-Post. But yet, Rick Hendrick would never fire Kanus, even if Chad were to show up next week with a jet engine on the car, simply because Chad is a rarity in the garage area- a guy who will go for the grey areas of the rulebook and try use them to his advantage. How else would the 48 of won 5 straight championships? And it’s arguable that if it wasn’t for bad luck at Homestead, they might of cruised to a 6th championship last year.

At the end of the day, cheating in NASCAR will always be there, whether in defense (as in everybody else is cheating, so cheat back), or “experimenting”. If I were to run a Cup team, I’d fire my crew chief if he’s just going to twiddle his thumbs all week long and try to win on setup and strategy come Sunday. Smokey won a ton of races and a few championships (With 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee Herb Thomas), and he never twiddled his thumbs at all when it came to experimenting with the car. Neither does Knaus or the Penske guys. That’s why they win races and championships.

Yup.

And Brad's car was awesome, and it went through post-race tech inspection and Passed. The Penske magic is still alive!

As for the "chevy" comment above: Ray Evernham was one of the biggest innovators (cheaters) in NASCAR. Just listened to him talk about working the NASCAR Officials as JG's car went through inspections. He counted it as a win when NASCAR only found 1 or 2 items that were not to spec, when he had more...

Also, Junior gave a great press conference today, and his opinion of how Team Penske found an advantage with the rear suspension was "impressive".

===

by Michael Finley (4 years ago)

That is what separates the great crew chiefs of today, such as a Chad Knaus or a Paul Wolfe, from the good to decent crew chiefs today. Notice Smokey said “some”- at the time he was writing this, Ray Evernham was dominating the Cup series with Jeff Gordon. Jeff is a great driver, but it would be stupid to say he dominated based off of pure talent alone. If he did, why has he only won one championship and 30 some races after 13 years Evernham-less, when he won 3 championships and over 50 races with Evernham the 7 years they were together?

The modern day Evernham is Knaus. Like Evernham, Knaus has had some questionable parts- Evernham had the T-Rex car and Knaus had last year’s Daytona C-Post. But yet, Rick Hendrick would never fire Kanus, even if Chad were to show up next week with a jet engine on the car, simply because Chad is a rarity in the garage area- a guy who will go for the grey areas of the rulebook and try use them to his advantage. How else would the 48 of won 5 straight championships? And it’s arguable that if it wasn’t for bad luck at Homestead, they might of cruised to a 6th championship last year.

At the end of the day, cheating in NASCAR will always be there, whether in defense (as in everybody else is cheating, so cheat back), or “experimenting”. If I were to run a Cup team, I’d fire my crew chief if he’s just going to twiddle his thumbs all week long and try to win on setup and strategy come Sunday. Smokey won a ton of races and a few championships (With 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee Herb Thomas), and he never twiddled his thumbs at all when it came to experimenting with the car. Neither does Knaus or the Penske guys. That’s why they win races and championships.
Right, and according to Evernham, Gordons 97 Daytona 500 car was not really legal, so yeah, this is nothing new. Or after the ASR, NASCAR told HMS never to bring the Jurassic car back every again.

is sad cheating is sad
Cheating ain't cheating unless you get caught...... and...... on another note...... sometimes cheating is defined as ''bending the rules''....... Bending the rules is what made Nascar such fun and a phenomenon back in the ''olden'' days ......... a lot of you folks never got to experience that.....

It was great waiting to see who got caught with whatever...... like a game of cat and mouse..... now...... the rule book and measuring is so stringent...... come on........ 1/64 or 1/32......... give me a break......

Cheating ain't cheating unless you get caught...... and...... on another note...... sometimes cheating is defined as ''bending the rules''....... Bending the rules is what made Nascar such fun and a phenomenon back in the ''olden'' days ......... a lot of you folks never got to experience that.....

It was great waiting to see who got caught with whatever...... like a game of cat and mouse..... now...... the rule book and measuring is so stringent...... come on........ 1/64 or 1/32......... give me a break......
And or working in that grey area.

Cheating was better "back in the day" because tape measure?

The team violated the rule that states “a pinion angle shim mating surface … must be in complete contact … at all times.”

Gordon was on “The Morning Drive” on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Friday to discuss the penalty and what’s next for the team.

“We take penalties with a lot of seriousness and try to identify how that happened and where procedurally we missed and understanding the bounds of what has to happen to make sure we don’t have issues like this,’’ Gordon said. “We’ve been through that. There’s some investigations going on internally. I think we understand the direction that we need to go, and we’ll make sure we’re not putting ourselves in that situation anymore.’’

Team Penske announced Thursday that it will not appeal the penalty. Gordon will miss this weekend’s race at Talladega Superspeedway and next weekend’s race at Kansas Speedway. Race engineer Miles Stanley will serve as Logano’s crew chief this weekend. Greg Erwin, a crew chief in the organization’s Xfinity program, will help call race strategy Sunday.

Gordon said on “The Morning Drive” that there was a gap of about 1/32 inch between the pinion shim and the truck arm surface on the right truck arm.

“In order for the suspension to actually move, parts have to bend. … If every part is infinitely stiff, the system won’t move. It needs to have something flexing. It’s a small amount of flex, but there are parts that move. Through 400 laps at Richmond and how many pit stops and pit road launches and restarts, things move a little bit.

“It was legal when it rolled across the NASCAR inspection platform to start with (before the race), and I would say just race loads and everything else, it became low enough in load that the back of the pinion gap opened up a 32nd of an inch.’’

Gordon also said: “If you look at our rear suspension … there’s not really a whole lot of tomfoolery that goes on to hide something like this. We don’t work that way at Team Penske, try to stay on the up and up and push the things to where we can. Pre-race, there was not a gap there.’’

Gordon noted that NASCAR rewrote rules regarding suspension pieces in the offseason “because everybody chases the skew word. That’s a hot topic within the garage. I think that’s one thing I’d like to point out. This is a right side truck arm. With the track bar being attached to the left side truck arm, most of all the pieces, at least from what I understand and maybe I’m missing some things, all the skew-related pieces are going to happen on the left side.

“This wasn’t anything that was pertaining to skew, that’s a word that everybody uses and that’s how the cars kind of run sideways down the race track, which helps them aerodynamically. We weren’t in that situation.’’

...and while Gordon is spewing this, Joey is tweeting that they pushed too far. So, they did nothing wrong, but in so doing, they did too much?
:XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL:

===
But, but, but Gordon said they didn't do anything wrong....and it wouldn't affect skew. Not very nice of Junior, really. :sarcasm:

...and while Gordon is spewing this, Joey is tweeting that they pushed too far. So, they did nothing wrong, but in so doing, they did too much?
:XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL:
But, but, but Gordon said they didn't do anything wrong....and it wouldn't affect skew. Not very nice of Junior, really. :sarcasm:
You have to remember Jeff was totally in with Ray's bull****ery. The name Rex comes to mind.

"If we win this race, you have to crack the back of the car. You got it?"
- Chad Knaus

Perhaps, Joey should've smacked the wall during his righteous burnout...

"You don't have to hit it hard. Don't have to destroy it. But you got to do a donut. You got to hit the back end."

Last edited by a moderator:
In no way am I condoning what they did so don't get me wrong when I say this at the end of the day rules are rules and they broke them they were wrong but....... this rule is one of the reasons NASCAR is dying because why is it a problem that somebody out engineered somebody else and somebody made a car go faster than everybody else that's what racing was built from. NASCAR doesn't understand why they're losing fans but they killed off so many different types of fans by changing so many things.

Blah blah blah most of you were on the same page I don't need to beat a dead horse. Penske will be just fine after this and somebody else will do something to get ahead and we'll just play the same game over and over again that's why we watch.
Rules are there for a reason. With your reasoning teams should ignore the rulebook and bring 1000 HP engines to the track.

Rules are there for a reason. With your reasoning teams should ignore the rulebook and bring 1000 HP engines to the track.
1000 hp would only be good for 3 seconds at most and in many cases they would burn the tire off in half the time they do now. I loved Nascar the most when they had 650 hp and an engine was good for 590 miles. :)

All of that, and you don't appeal an encumbered win? Lots of hot air. I would have been fine if he had just said, "No comment." One of the things I love most about this sport is that I bet he doesn't lose any respect in the garage for BS like that. Everybody has a team and sponsors to protect. Pretty cool really.

All of that, and you don't appeal an encumbered win? Lots of hot air.
Or hes the crew chief & he doesnt want weeks of media distractions due to an appeal. 'It happened, move on' attitude.

All of that, and you don't appeal an encumbered win? Lots of hot air. I would have been fine if he had just said, "No comment." One of the things I love most about this sport is that I bet he doesn't lose any respect in the garage for BS like that. Everybody has a team and sponsors to protect. Pretty cool really.

IDK for me I would have much rather heard the interviewer say "that is the biggest bunch of horse**** I have ever heard" . And another thing, what has happened to Nascar bringing the offending part to the track and leaving it laying around on a table for everybody to gawk at. In other words, I'm not trusting either one of them with the truth. lol

Or hes the crew chief & he doesnt want weeks of media distractions due to an appeal. 'It happened, move on' attitude.

I think the appropriate response should have been "We did it, and move on." Arguably, this is the biggest penalty of all--you didn't win....but again, I get what he needs to say....just has to get his driver on board with the company line.

IDK for me I would have much rather heard the interviewer say "that is the biggest bunch of horse**** I have ever heard" . And another thing, what has happened to Nascar bringing the offending part to the track and leaving it laying around on a table for everybody to gawk at. In other words, I'm not trusting either one of them with the truth. lol

Really damn good question on the part laying around so others could see--Remember my JGR trick oil pans? I don't know, I get what the Penske people have to say to save face with the suit and ties who don't know anything, but there is a point where the **** gets too deep. Todd can certainly shovel it.

Joey said exactly that already

Yeah, but my point is that the CC and driver are saying two different things. Where the hell is Roger to get everybody on the same page? Again, I get it, but geez guys get your **** together. My JGR guys line is "didn't impact performance." It's a good line. They all should use it.

Back
Top Bottom