Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

Well, technically, IF you buy a sponsor or advertizer's products or services, it does cost you more to subsidize 36 races than 30.

I'll just go see it there are any more nits I can pick over here...
That's a big 'IF'..... And quite colorful too. Nice touch.

Somehow, I don't think I'd notice the difference in the price of the products that I buy should the season be reduced to a 30 week schedule. I could be wrong but I'm guessing not.

am I missing something or does monster have the option to renew or not renew for next year? did nascar seriously only sign a 1 year deal essentially?

The deals other tracks have in place sucks. You sponsor the series, but you can't sell your product at the racetracks because they have a deal with Pepsi? And I don't even see why this isn't allowed. Pepsi doesn't even sell their energy drinks (Amp) at the tracks.

The problem isn't so much that Monster can't sell their drinks, or can't own the real estate at track that they want, or can't demand certain actions from drivers.....the problem is that they were originally told they could. When I had originally posted that Monster was not happy, there were many lawyers involved, and they would have had a very good case to terminate the contract early for breach.

The problem isn't so much that Monster can't sell their drinks, or can't own the real estate at track that they want, or can't demand certain actions from drivers.....the problem is that they were originally told they could. When I had originally posted that Monster was not happy, there were many lawyers involved, and they would have had a very good case to terminate the contract early for breach.
32b4229145de0a2c1171b9b5757f25dfaa1bbf7b9be0b687be4dd5aec76a34d6.jpg

"Not happy" and "they would have had a very good case to terminate the contract early for breach" are very different...

Sounds like NASCAR F'd this one up royally and over-promised. I don't know how you do that when the France family owns or has a majority stake in pretty much every NASCAR-related anything there is.

"Not happy" and "they would have had a very good case to terminate the contract early for breach" are very different...

Sounds like NASCAR F'd this one up royally and over-promised. I don't know how you do that when the France family owns or has a majority stake in pretty much every NASCAR-related anything there is.
From what Ive heard, Monster is less prominent at the tracks than Sprint was.

I didn't notice any difference between Sprint and Monster but I only watch the race from the green flag to the checkers. I was hopeful that Monster could win some new and younger fans through cross promotions with its other events but so far that does not seem like the case.

From what Ive heard, Monster is less prominent at the tracks than Sprint was.
Hmm. I haven't really paid that close of attention to it, but now that I think about it I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Monster does have that barricaded off area out front of every race where they do the stunt cycles and rally truck stuff though.

If Monster leaves I wonder what company would seek to take over the main sponsorship?

IDK they mentioned that they brought in 12 or 13 different co sponsors for the tracks this year.

Coke ?
Of course with marijuana becoming legal in Canada and many states, we could have a new
source of money. :partytime

Monster is used to running the show in the dirt trucks and motorcycles. I am sure it isn't as much fun in Nascar cup. Instead of being welcomed as a savior, compared to who came before them..there is that.

I think part of the problem is that NOBODY can really replace what Winston did, and anybody else looks bad by comparison. Winston was a once in a lifetime thing. I seriously doubt you could ever find another company able or willing to spend that much money on a sport, especially auto racing.

Marboro has been doing it for years in F-1. they are spending 110 million this year. And that is with only colors on the car no lettering..It has been that way for years with them.

Good point about Marlboro. I can't see where they could get that much good out of something where you can't even use your name, but it must work for them. If we could get them to spend HALF that on NASCAR, you could have something, but with the US laws, I don't know if that would even be possible, and I'm not sure NASCAR is too anxious to re-open the tobacco door.

Nascar should probably find a title sponsor that resonates with younger people and pay them to market the drivers and product because whatever Nascar is attempting to do at this juncture is not working. Nascar is not longer operating from a position of strength but doesn't seem to understand it.

Sure is starting to sound like Martin Truex, Jr. was the first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Champion and whoever wins it next year will be the last Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Champion.

At Daytona the series sponsor gets a few logos. If they want to be a sponsor they have to pay. Winston and sprint paid millions. As of July I have not heard anything of monster being a sponsor of Daytona. Monster came late and was offered to sponsor the 500 club but turned it down.

Sure is starting to sound like Martin Truex, Jr. was the first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Champion and whoever wins it next year will be the last Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Champion.

In hindsight it probably would have been better for Nascar to run the series without a title sponsor until some of the dust settles and it can be determined what it is going to look like. IMO accepting the 20 million from Monster devalued all of Nascar and woke up team sponsors as to what they were willing to pay in future deals. Brian France could have wobbled out and said that he personally picked the phone up and made a few calls but none of the companies wanting in were a good fit for Nascar.

Good point about Marlboro. I can't see where they could get that much good out of something where you can't even use your name, but it must work for them. If we could get them to spend HALF that on NASCAR, you could have something, but with the US laws, I don't know if that would even be possible, and I'm not sure NASCAR is too anxious to re-open the tobacco door.

Long term commitments are a thing of the past. Even ultra successful companies or sports franchise cant nail down long contracts anymore.

Nascar ought to get a liquor sponsor, Brian could say he supports them with regularity. Can see it now The Wild Turkey Cup

Monster rises in first year of NASCAR deal

In its first year as title sponsor of NASCAR’s premier series, Monster Energy’s deal has already become one of the most recognized partnerships in sports, according to the results of the property’s 11th annual sponsor loyalty survey conducted for SportsBusiness Jour...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...2/11/Research-and-Ratings/Turnkey-NASCAR.aspx
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...2/11/Research-and-Ratings/Turnkey-NASCAR.aspx
I don't subscribe so I can't post more info. Maybe someone else on here that does, can?

Monster rises in first year of NASCAR deal

In its first year as title sponsor of NASCAR’s premier series, Monster Energy’s deal has already become one of the most recognized partnerships in sports, according to the results of the property’s 11th annual sponsor loyalty survey conducted for SportsBusiness Jour...

I don't subscribe so I can't post more info. Maybe someone else on here that does, can?
That sounds like it has been good for Monster, if I am reading that correctly

Nascar should probably find a title sponsor that resonates with younger people and pay them to market the drivers and product because whatever Nascar is attempting to do at this juncture is not working. Nascar is not longer operating from a position of strength but doesn't seem to understand it.

Respectfully, I don't know what resonates with younger people, and I am not sure we have ever really known that. By their very definition, they are learning what they want in this world. Their interests change rapidly. Further (and respectfully), I am tired of looking for a sponsor to hook the younger set. They know what stock car racing is. They can take it or leave it, and they are leaving it. Time to embrace right sizing, and get on with this awesome sport.

Back
Top Bottom