NAPA Leaves MWR

You mean just like all the rest of the teams that are on my list because they couldn't get away with cheating.

There are different types of cheating.

You be the judge on what side of the stupid/smart cheating scale Waltrip lands on.

You be the judge on what side of the stupid/smart cheating scale Waltrip lands on.

Actually there are two types of cheating.
Cheating and getting away with it....... and...... Cheating and getting caught.
Since MWR, JGR, Penske Racing, and Hendrick Motorsports all got caught, then none of them were very smart at that time.;)

Last edited:
Since MWR, JGR, Penske Racing, and Hendrick Motorsports all got caught, then none of them were very smart at that time.;)

I see things a little differently Nitro.There may be two types of cheating in your eyes but the other option is to play fair and NOT cheat.

Nope.

Cheating and getting away with it
Cheating and getting caught
Cheating the system AKA taking advantage of the grey area
Cheating to change outcome of a race/season/playoff

Which do you think those guys are more guilty of? Dont think too hard.

Only one organization has gone above and beyond.

I see things a little differently Nitro.There may be two types of cheating in your eyes but the other option is to play fair and NOT cheat.
Come on Clutch, everyone knows you have the option of not cheating, but that is not what we were talking about. We were talking about cheaters.

Ok here's a simpler way of cataloging cheaters;

Cheating with malicious intent

And

Cheating to win

Simply put when teams tend to cheat it is only for their gain as opose to a team that cheats to screw not only the intergrity of the sport but also of the competitors who actually race and earn their way by just racing.

The mob mentality is certainly running rampant on the boards since yesterday. It had pretty much died down to a whisper until NAPA's announcement yesterday morning and now a firestorm has erupted once again. Had that not been announced most everyone would have moved on to the next big thing. I'm taking no joy in watching the demise of MWR. As far as I'm concerned they've already payed the price with the fines and sanctions handed down by NASCAR. NAPA's reluctance to step out immediately after the announcement has me somewhat confused. They say they don't condone this type of behavior yet I'll be seeing them running laps @ Loudon this weekend on the very same car that I've seen them on for years. Maybe they still condone it just a little bit?

It seems most on here won't be happy until Waltrip in run out of the sport completely. These sponsors are definitely listening to you so you may just get your wish. I really hope you don't though.

Last edited:
The mob mentality is certainly running rampant on the boards since yesterday. It had pretty much died down to a whisper until NAPA's announcement yesterday morning and now a firestorm has erupted once again. Had that not been announced most everyone would have moved on to the next big thing. I'm taking no joy in watch the demise of MWR. As far as I'm concerned they've already payed the price with the fines and sanctions handed down by NASCAR. NAPA's reluctance to step out immediately after the announcement has me somewhat confused. They say they don't condone this type of behavior yet I'll be seeing them running laps @ Loudon this weekend on the very same car that I've seen them on for years. Maybe they still condone it just a little bit?

It seems most on here won't be happy until Waltrip in run out of the sport completely. These sponsors are definitely listening to you so you may just get your wish. I really hope you don't though.

For me, it's just about wanting bad guys to get what they deserve.

Interesting article with Kyle Bush's opinion on the loss of NAPA to Truex and MWR. He has a pretty good perspective after going through his loss of a sponsor albeit a short period of time.

"(Truex) didn't do anything wrong whatsoever," Busch said. "It's unfortunate to see what NAPA did. I hate it for MWR because now you don't know where they go. Whether they stay in the sport or stay in the same capacity, that's a car that doesn't have a sponsor, and the fans want NASCAR to have more competitive cars, and they're kicking them out. More sponsors unfortunately are leaving than coming in, and it's due to the fans showing their displeasure."

Read the full article here.

Are fans supposed to blindly swallow whatever product that they're fed? Blaming fans for MWR predicament is ridiculous. MWR did the crime, Nascar nailed them for it and NAPA reacted and now fans are supposed to do the time?

I don't ******** think so. Like Truex, I did NOTHING wrong.

That works for me but I think the masses are chanting for the guillotine.
That seems to be the case. Ahh, the power of social media. I think that we all have a much louder voice than we did a few short years ago.
QFT. That's how it is nowadays, for better or worse. It can go both ways, but this is definitely an instance where the latter is true.

The mob mentality is certainly running rampant on the boards since yesterday. It had pretty much died down to a whisper until NAPA's announcement yesterday morning and now a firestorm has erupted once again. Had that not been announced most everyone would have moved on to the next big thing. I'm taking no joy in watching the demise of MWR. As far as I'm concerned they've already payed the price with the fines and sanctions handed down by NASCAR. NAPA's reluctance to step out immediately after the announcement has me somewhat confused. They say they don't condone this type of behavior yet I'll be seeing them running laps @ Loudon this weekend on the very same car that I've seen them on for years. Maybe they still condone it just a little bit?

I'd only be happy if he took DW with him.

Nope.

Cheating and getting away with it
Cheating and getting caught
Cheating the system AKA taking advantage of the grey area
Cheating to change outcome of a race/season/playoff

Which do you think those guys are more guilty of? Dont think too hard.

Only one organization has gone above and beyond.
Cheating of any kind will change the outcome of a race

I the fans want NASCAR to have more competitive cars, and they're kicking them out. More sponsors unfortunately are leaving than coming in, and it's due to the fans showing their displeasure."

Said the guy who is almost single handily destroying an entire series of racing.

Some friends of mine visited the MWR shop last year and they said that it was one of the most fan friendliest shops out of all of the Nascar shops they visited. I wish I would have gotten the chance to go there last year. But maybe next year if they survive this fiasco.

Media getting set up behind the MWR hauler this morning.

BUmq1fqCQAA7mPK.jpg:large

Michael Waltrip: "Yes I was scared and uncertain of our future. After speaking to all our partners, they're going to stick with us."

Waltrip says he'd let Truex go if better offer came along.

Waltrip has asked Martin Truex Jr to give the organization time to figure things out before he starts a job search outside of MWR team.

NAPA wasn't thrilled about the way things were handled "but we put them in this position".

Waltrip says there was "no master plan to manipulate the race " .

Michael Waltrip says he can't say he was "overly surprised" by NAPA's decision.

Waltrip says a lot of people voiced concern to NAPA and they had to react.

Michael Waltrip says he expects 5-Hour Energy to remain after this year.

Last edited:
Michael Waltrip: "Yes I was scared and uncertain of our future. After speaking to all our partners, they're going to stick with us."

Waltrip says he'd let Truex go if better offer came along.

Waltrip has asked Martin Truex Jr to give the organization time to figure things out before he starts a job search outside of MWR team.

NAPA wasn't thrilled about the way things were handled "but we put them in this position".

Waltrip says there was "no master plan to manipulate the race " .

Michael Waltrip says he can't say he was "overly surprised" by NAPA's decision.

Waltrip says a lot of people voiced concern to NAPA and they had to react.

Michael Waltrip says he expects 5-Hour Energy to remain after this year.

So basically I got from this is, MWR is not going out of business, partners are staying and they MIGHT have to let go Martin and run two teams next year.

I think MWR will survive and rebuild. Michael Waltrip is a smart businessman. He'll have to work harder but I don't see this killing MWR.

At least they're not carrying burning torches.
lol:lol2: Its a wonder to me that more sponsors are not upset with him. Why on earth would you spend millions of dollars with this team? Are they that desperate or that stupid?

Any comments from loud mouth DW yet? He has been pretty quit during this scandal. Mikey is going to survive no doubt but this was the real penalty for cheating and not some mickey mouse nascar fine.

Some friends of mine visited the MWR shop last year and they said that it was one of the most fan friendliest shops out of all of the Nascar shops they visited. I wish I would have gotten the chance to go there last year. But maybe next year if they survive this fiasco.

I have heard similar comments about it being fan friendly.

Also, F1 changed the run off rules for that one race to deny Senna the championship.

Didn't Senna come back and do the same thing to Prost?

If you ever get the chance to watch the movie "Senna" do it. It's a great flick, gives some insight into that whole situation with Prost and its very entertaining as well. I loved it.

jeez.....ya'll sho enjoy jumpin on an injured body.
mwr's fault lies in bein stupid.......not actual damage....cause that's been goin on forever.
ex......penske at richmond too.....just never happened.

nascar covered their ass........an sent you idiots out w/ tha pitchforks .......an what a great job ya doin !

my guess....
....5 hr ceo bhargava is gone '14.....sales down....class action suits maybe ?
....aaron's follows. pol correctness.
..both have outs.

no mo mwr....figure that was "front corp" all along.....w/ kaufmaan in control a' assets. ?
.......rkr....in '14. if at all. ?
I cant like or dislike this, I have no freakin idea what you said.

I say, thank your lucky stars for all the drama. Nascar needs way more of this, and far less autonomous vehicles (Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon, etc). Sponsors need to understand that Americans have the attention spans of gnats (Miley did what?!) And rednecks need to not take stuff so personally; Napa sponsors MWR, it ISN'T MWR. If you like their company, buy their stuff. Drop the gang mentality.

Keep NASCAR down-home. If you don't, you'll end up with IndyCar.
The first thing you do when you post on here is bash rednecks, UHOH.

Yep.

Ok here's a simpler way of cataloging cheaters;

Cheating with malicious intent
And
Cheating to win

Simply put when teams tend to cheat it is only for their gain as opose to a team that cheats to screw not only the intergrity of the sport but also of the competitors who actually race and earn their way by just racing.

That makes no sense at all. Really. Are you trying be serious or just typing random nonsense?
There is no way to cheat that helps you and doesn't hurt others you are competing against. That's how competition works. Only children think otherwise.

If you ever get the chance to watch the movie "Senna" do it. It's a great flick, gives some insight into that whole situation with Prost and its very entertaining as well. I loved it.

I saw it, but wasn't sure if it was totally factual. Balestre seemed like a total jackass in that movie.

I know that it is the sponsors money and they can do what they want with it, and they will always do what benefits them the most, but, what a lot of fans don't realize is that these sponsors don't just hand out free cash to a team and and say go have a good time racing your cars. They make these teams jump through hoops to get that check and they expect them to win at all cost, or you had better have a really good excuse on Monday morning as to why you didn't win. I wish every fan could sit through a board meeting with a sponsor just one time after a not so productive weekend....I think you might come away with a different view of them. After any kind of a scandal the first thing a lot of sponsors will do is look at the bachlash from fans and see if they need to do any damage contol to keep egg off their face. Sponsors always use the word integrity, and I would have felt Napa had showed more integrity if they would have stood behind MWR instead of jumping ship and running.[/quote

I have to disagree, Napa reached the breaking point, this isn't the first time MWR got caught, so in order for them to save any kind of face they had to say good bye.

I say, thank your lucky stars for all the drama. Nascar needs way more of this, and far less autonomous vehicles (Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon, etc). Sponsors need to understand that Americans have the attention spans of gnats (Miley did what?!) And rednecks need to not take stuff so personally; Napa sponsors MWR, it ISN'T MWR. If you like their company, buy their stuff. Drop the gang mentality.

Keep NASCAR down-home. If you don't, you'll end up with IndyCar.

Autonomous means independent, not subject to outside control. Your statement makes no sense when you use team cars as an example.

And this "redneck" doesn't take things personally. I'm just sad that it happened, and that my chosen sport and a decent sponsor have gotten
the black eye.

I saw it, but wasn't sure if it was totally factual. Balestre seemed like a total jackass in that movie.
I watched Epic, World war Z and Star Trek: into darkness the last few days, does that count? While thinking about Nascar.

Back
Top Bottom