NAPA Leaves MWR

Even better. Seeing your organization lose a sponsor is a high price.

NAPA 'swept the leg' on MWR.

3n7x4yq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even better. Seeing your organization lose a sponsor is a high price.
I was off a little. :)
Last August, the company renewed a multiyear extension that the Sports Business Journal estimated at $16 million annually. NAPA has been with MWR since the team entered Sprint Cup in 2007 and aligned with team owner Michael Waltrip since joining NASCAR's premier series in 2001 with Dale Earnhardt's team.
From here.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...waltrip-racing-chase-richmond-nascar/2836609/

I remember a year or two ago Kyle Busch had a controversy going on. I don't remember what it was about but I do remember a lot of fans were wanting M&M'S to drop him and JGR. M&M'S held their ground and stood behind them and now they have a real good shot at winning a championship this year. I type this while I'm sitting here snacking on a bag of M&M'S.:)
It was because he was acting like a flippin' jerk, pulling crap like smashing a custom made Sam Bass Les Paul. No class.

I think the bigger picture is that not only does this really hurt MWR but this hurts NASCAR as a sport. NASCAR needs companies like NAPA to survive. To have them pull the plug will hurt a lot of people directly and indirectly. What they do in the future remains to be seen, but it sure looks like there will be people out of jobs as a result of this.

If MWR goes belly up because the sponsors run away it's not going to help anything in the garage. Very few people are looking to start teams in the Cup series these days, and of the few even fewer are able to do what MWR has done in such a short time. They have been successful in engaging fans and sponsors in new and unique ways.

Ultimately I'm of the opinion that the more stable and competitive teams there are, the better the racing will be. Do I like Mikey? Not one bit, as a matter of fact I think he's an assclown. However I respect what he's done with his team and I think the sport is better off with more teams that can contend and win races.

wow very well said, and if the majority of nascar fans were asked I think this would be the sentiment. although I don't hate michael. I am neutral toward him. the part about engaging fans and sponsors in unique ways is very spot on, in fact this should be intelligent post of the day.

I used to respect Clint Bowyer but not anymore. He could wreck out every week and I'd be okay with it. Honestly, I lost respects for him last year with the way he kept taking cheap shots at Jeff Gordon. I'm not a Gordon fan by any means but he finally snapped. Bowyer's showing his true colors now and I don't like it.
He showed his TRUE colors last November with the "RETARD" comment.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...comment-r-word-fans-twitter-jeff-gordon-wreck

Crying about spilt milk isn't going to change anything either. Good lesson.. cheaters don't win, they pay the price sooner or later.

Since Truex is getting screwed on this deal, I think 5 hour should dump Bowyer and sponsor Truex. Let Bowyer go look for another ride, after all we all know thats where the problem started and the Vickers/Norris deal was just icing on the cake for Nascar.
If Napa is shopping around, why not talk to Joe Gibbs. Take Truex with them.

Last edited:
I remember a year or two ago Kyle Busch had a controversy going on. I don't remember what it was about but I do remember a lot of fans were wanting M&M'S to drop him and JGR. M&M'S held their ground and stood behind them and now they have a real good shot at winning a championship this year. I type this while I'm sitting here snacking on a bag of M&M'S.:)

They did sit out the last two races of the season. They barely stayed.

I bet Joe Gibbs pull out all the stop for them to stay because M&Ms sure was on their way.

Whew, talking about poor Truex, 2 wins in 10 years. averages 3 top fives a year? If he does loose his job, it might be tough to find another one in cup. those are similar to Montoya stats and look where he is. gone

Whew, talking about poor Truex, 2 wins in 10 years. averages 3 top fives a year? If he does loose his job, it might be tough to find another one in cup. those are similar to Montoya stats and look where he is. gone

Yeah when is all said and done, Truex is not really that great of a driver.

With that said, I think he could still find a ride, just not with a big organization.

I'd like him in the 78. After all this teammate betrayal I bet he's thinking a single car operation would be ideal where he doesn't have to deal with that ugly side off things.

Now that I think about it, David Reutimann was just another victim in Mikey's shady's schemes.

5-Hour is leaving too and going to another team. This is a pretty big deal and could open the door to a bunch of big sponsors leaving the "entertainment racing" business. Don't forget about the "morality clause" all sponsor contracts have. Receiving a corporate "black eye" while innocently competing in a "sport" where cheating is making big headlines is enough to give them an out if they decide they want out. NAPA was a big one, full car for all 36 races. Hard to make up that loss, especially if others follow. No one, no matter how many cars you have is immune to the morality clause, even if your's had no role in it

5-Hour is leaving too and going to another team. This is a pretty big deal and could open the door to a bunch of big sponsors leaving the "entertainment racing" business. Don't forget about the "morality clause" all sponsor contracts have. Receiving a corporate "black eye" while innocently competing in a "sport" where cheating is making big headlines is enough to give them an out if they decide they want out. NAPA was a big one, full car for all 36 races. Hard to make up that loss, especially if others follow. No one, no matter how many cars you have is immune to the morality clause, even if your's had no role in it
I haven't seen anything on this, source?

Where did you hear this? Last I heard they would wait until the season is over.

If I had my druthers it would be Truex and Napa to the 78. Just like Napa Truex can get out of his contract anytime he wants because of this MWR mess.
I agree. I just get the feeling that Funiture Row wants to use their own money and call their own shots, instead of some big buck company coming in and telling them we're in charge now.

Where did you hear that? If true Mikey's team might be just one car next year.

4 hours ago...

5-hour ENERGY® ‏@5hourenergy 4h
Living Essentials is still evaluating its ongoing participation in NASCAR. A decision is not expected until the 2013 racing season is over.

4 hours ago...

5-hour ENERGY® ‏@5hourenergy 4h
Living Essentials is still evaluating its ongoing participation in NASCAR. A decision is not expected until the 2013 racing season is over.
Yep, they gone.

We might also be missing the boat on what really happened here. How can we be sure it was team orders handed down from MWR management? Could it have originated from an overzealous TRD rep, perhaps a TRD rep with his own office at MWR bent on packing the Chase field with as many Toyotas as they can get in.

We might also be missing the boat on what really happened here. How can we be sure it was team orders handed down from MWR management? Could it have originated from an overzealous TRD rep, perhaps a TRD rep with his own office at MWR bent on packing the Chase field with as many Toyotas as they can get in.

That's a stretch.

Where did you hear this? Last I heard they would wait until the season is over.
That is pretty much all you can do unless you can find an "out" that is written in the contract to jump early. I think it is going to get ugly, losing TV coverage and negative publicity is a tipping point as they like to say in the board rooms with bean counters present.

That is pretty much all you can do unless you can find an "out" that is written in the contract to jump early. I think it is going to get ugly, losing TV coverage is a tipping point as they like to say in the board rooms with bean counters present.

If 5 hour wants to save face, they do what NAPA did. Distance yourself as much as possible from MWR while riding out the year. I think 5 hour will stay put if Clint does well in the chase and the negativity subsides.

Back
Top Bottom