NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

nope, the most important thing is making a profit. A profit comes from many sources. Super fans can't figure that out year after year.

If you don’t have a product that the current generation and future generations desire it is difficult to turn a profit.

Welp nascar fans got what they claim they wanted. Will be hillarious to see the meltdowns the first time Kyle Larson or Chase Elliott gets a win taken away. Not a fan of this tbh

it has been no surprise to me when they went to lower HP that just about any manufacturer with a bit of modifications can run an engine relatively inexpensively in Nascar. And they are also talking more life like manufacturer looking cars in the series for the next gen car. i would guess hybrids in the future, they have been racing them for years overseas.
Yeah, some sort of hybrid/electrification is probably not that far away. As with most things I'd expect them to trial it in a lower series first, with shorter races. Wouldn't be anything too surprising as it sounds like they're going to incorporate some sort of hybrid component with whatever IMSA's 2022 prototype class turns out to be.

might start a class with the little sheetbox hybrids on smaller tracks, who knows. Political correctness, we must run coal fired cars

the hits just keep on coming

This is essential as in my area and many others Nascar has fallen off the map. It isn’t a case of Nascar being rejected as much as it is being unknown. I hope they retain a competent marketing firm that can tell the right story that will get people interested in checking things out.

From my standpoint this is truly exciting as conquering new fans with plan in place beats the hell out of moving deck chairs around on the Titanic.

Welp nascar fans got what they claim they wanted. Will be hillarious to see the meltdowns the first time Kyle Larson or Chase Elliott gets a win taken away. Not a fan of this tbh

Oh yeah as Nascar will be public enemy #1 even though they didn’t create the problems.

IMO the most important thing for any business is a solid customer base and a good pipeline of future customers. Without these things it is easy for the business to falter. If you think differently that is fine.

The business prospects and audience trends of NASCAR are valid tangential topics to, you know, the racing. If this were the NASCAR section of business-forums.com, perhaps you'd have a point about what the "most important" focus is. The thread topic has nothing to do with TV ratings and attendance. A bunch of technical rules changes will have no impact on them either way. So that's dealt with, right?

Go big, or go home. Period.
To me its just like a College football team having to "vacate" a win if a player was found to be ineligable. The win goes away but the team they played doesnt get the credit for the win.

The business prospects and audience trends of NASCAR are valid tangential topics to, you know, the racing. If this were the NASCAR section of business-forums.com, perhaps you'd have a point about what the "most important" focus is. The thread topic has nothing to do with TV ratings and attendance. A bunch of technical rules changes will have no impact on them either way. So that's dealt with, right?

As long as you are happy I am happy.

Yeah, some sort of hybrid/electrification is probably not that far away. As with most things I'd expect them to trial it in a lower series first, with shorter races. Wouldn't be anything too surprising as it sounds like they're going to incorporate some sort of hybrid component with whatever IMSA's 2022 prototype class turns out to be.
They might try to start an electric series, like MotoGP does this year.
The question is: Who would watch a "NASCAR Vacuum Cleaner Series presented by Siemens"?
Who even watches Formula E?

Cant wait to see a 2nd place driver say "I might still win" in their post race interview
I recall Jimmy Spencer saying that at Bristol, when Earnhardt 'rattled his cage' on Terry Labonte. Jimmy slid under Terry for second and was hoping NASCAR would penalize Ironhead.

the hits just keep on coming

Long overdue in my opinion. I have NEVER understood the value of promoting yourself DURING one of your own events. It's one thing to have a spot telling people when the next race is, but if you're already watching the race, the product SHOULD be able sell itself. Feel good promotional commercials should be targeted towards people who AREN'T watching. I don't pretend to know how ANY of these initiatives will turn out, but NASCAR seems to be trying to right more wrongs in less time than at any time in my 40 years of following it.

I didn't think that there was anything that could keep me from the track until now. You take me to the high of a Kyle Busch win, and I find out in the parking lot that he has been stripped of it, I am not sure I come back.

I don't see why you think the car cheated up the best should be the winner. You have been saying that Kyle is the best so why does he need a cheated car.?????

Long overdue in my opinion. I have NEVER understood the value of promoting yourself DURING one of your own events. It's one thing to have a spot telling people when the next race is, but if you're already watching the race, the product SHOULD be able sell itself. Feel good promotional commercials should be targeted towards people who AREN'T watching. I don't pretend to know how ANY of these initiatives will turn out, but NASCAR seems to be trying to right more wrongs in less time than at any time in my 40 years of following it.

I always thought it was pretty stupid myself, like preaching to the choir..and really kind of annoying when you wanted to get back to the race.

I've never been one of those people running around pointing fingers at the cheaters, or getting all that worked up about it, but at the same time, I see NOTHING wrong with a "do the crime, do the time policy". It's obvious that the past rules certainly weren't a deterrent, so maybe this will finally put some teeth into the rulebook. I'm not sure how anybody could see this as a bad thing. NASCAR's refusal to take away wins in the past has long been a bone of contention for people who want to dismiss NASCAR as something akin to the WWE. Revman's comments on the new policy go totally over my head. Why would finding out your driving get disqualified after the race have any more bearing on you going to another race anymore than the driver losing the race on the last lap would? By the way Rev, nice move by JGR to get caught cheating in late models of all things. I hope the Preacher went to church twice last Sunday.

The line between cheated up and pushing the limits can be a fine one.

I don't care if any of them cheat, that is a part of racing. But when you do get caught, the punishment fits the crime now. As it was, the big teams didn't lose very much when they got caught, sort of like nah nah so what. Even better, have Miller the tent guy go over and rip off the winning sticker on the cheated up car.

They might try to start an electric series, like MotoGP does this year.
The question is: Who would watch a "NASCAR Vacuum Cleaner Series presented by Siemens"?
Who even watches Formula E?
Fair point to ask. I don't think NASCAR's traditional base would take to it too quickly, but if the angle is to get more manufacturers and younger fans then it's worth a trial at least.

I don't care if any of them cheat, that is a part of racing. But when you do get caught, the punishment fits the crime now. As it was, the big teams didn't lose very much when they got caught, sort of like nah nah so what.

Sounds good in a Forum, but when a fan spends a few thousand to get to a race, and they find out that what they were yelling for at the checker wasn't worth a ****, then we will see how it plays. Sure, the teams will learn their lessons. Fans will gravitate to the ones who play fair. At what cost? Could be bumpy. .....and that fine line.....Hmmmm......What has NASCAR done here? This isn't the $20 Saturday Night Dirt Track Special so many long for. This is big time, and people spend big time money to get to races. We shall see. I'm thinking that this might be window dressing. Go big ball, and keep everything behind closed doors.

I can tell you haven't been around that sort of thing. One thing when that is instituted most of this stuff that is happening, the multiple inspections playing cat and mouse, the obvious cheating goes away, orvnever makes it to the track or past the tent in the first place.

Sounds good in a Forum, but when a fan spends a few thousand to get to a race, and they find out that what they were yelling for at the checker wasn't worth a sh!t, then we will see how it plays. Sure, the teams will learn their lessons. Fans will gravitate to the ones who play fair. At what cost? Could be bumpy. .....and that fine line.....Hmmmm......What has NASCAR done here? This isn't the $20 Saturday Night Dirt Track Special so many long for. This is big time, and people spend big time money to get to races. We shall see. I'm thinking that this might be window dressing. Go big ball, and keep everything behind closed doors.

I'm not sure how ANYBODY could defend the status quo. Not only does it promote cheating, it makes the sport look like a bunch of buffoons.

So lets see who would have suffered had NASCAR had this rule in place last year- Is this all?

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Points Penalties / Suspensions for the 2018 season

Las Vegas (3/4): #4-Harvick; 20 driver/owners pts; Rear Window Support Braces; crew chief Rodney Childers fined $50,000, Car chief Robert Smith suspended two races. Harvick's Las Vegas win will not count in any tiebreakers and will not count to get in the playoffs.
Phoenix (3/11): #9-Elliott; 25 driver/owner pts; Truck trailing arm spacer; crew chief Alan Gustafson fined $50,000. Car chief Josh Kirk suspended two races. Elliott's Phoenix finish will not count in any tiebreakers and will not count to get in the playoffs.
Texas (3/18): #9-Elliott; 20 driver/owner pts; Rear Window Support Braces; crew chief Alan Gustafson fined $50,000and suspended two races.
Dover (5/6): #19-Suarez; Rear window not flush to Deck Lid; 20 driver/owner pts; Crew chief Scott Graves fined $50,000. Car chief Todd Brewer suspended two races.
#14-Bowyer; 20 driver/owner pts; Rear Window Support and Structure; Crew chief Mike Bugarewicz fined $50,000. Car chief Jerry Cook suspended two races.
Kansas (5/12): #42-Larson; 20 driver/owner pts; Rear Window Support Braces; crew chief Chad Johnston fined $50,000, Car chief David Bryant suspended two races.
Talladega (10/14): #42-Larson; 10 driver/owner pts; Damaged Vehicle Policy/Mechanical Repair; crew chief Chad Johnston fined $25,000, Car chief David Bryant suspended one race.
Texas (11/4): #4-Harvick; 40 driver/owner pts; Spolier violation; crew chief Rodney Childers fined $75,000, suspended two races; Car chief (Robert Smith) suspended for two races.

This imaginary fan and / or sponsor revolt when a car fails inspection and is disqualified has always been utter hogwash. The only thing wrong with today's move toward actual disqualification is that they ever did anything but that.

So lets see who would have suffered had NASCAR had this rule in place last year- Is this all?

I suppose the real question is if they started DQing everyone on that list, how many of those infractions past March occur with that being the penalty?

This imaginary fan and / or sponsor revolt when a car fails inspection and is disqualified has always been utter hogwash. The only thing wrong with today's move toward actual disqualification is that they ever did anything but that.

I suppose the real question is if they started DQing everyone on that list, how many of those infractions past March occur with that being the penalty?
Exactly. Its an attention getter.

I love this decision. It may be the only way Lar2on ever wins another race.

NASCAR finally grabbed a BFH.

They had no choice after the arrogance of Harvick and Childers...

Lots of change and it looks like these changes are mostly good and overdue.

Back
Top Bottom