NASCAR killing the sport / NOT NASCAR

Thegeneral23

Team Owner
What I'm learning about NASCAR fans are that they really don't know as much about the sport as they think they do lol.. I have been to 7 races in the past year and some change and I have talked to a lot of fans at the tracks I been to.. i did this more when I first got into the sport to learn as much as possible and some more history of the sport.. I'm starting to learn the more I talk to people and the more and more I listen on the radio to the NASCAR channel that a lot of NASCAR fans don't have a clue what's going on and just say the crazies sh*t lol.. I stood in line at the track to buy me a shirt and had s guy tell me the reason Dale JR wasn't running good because he doesn't run his own equipment and that he tries out all the new equipment, like DALE JR is some type of test dummy lol.. people call the Sirius NASCAR channel everyday and say the craziest stuff about what they want in NASCAR and what would fix NASCAR, And this what they always start off with LONG TIME NASCAR FAN HERE!! lol then say some something so crazy like maybe they need to make martinsville dirt so all the cars be equal it's just crazy the things NASCAR fans say.. So is NASCAR more of a cool thing and to fit in or is it fans out there that really know what's going on ? The bottom line is and what I'm trying to say when you have fans that dont have a clue what's going on but complain and call in to NASCAR Sirius station.. it just causes problems for NASCAR trying to satisfy a customer that doesn't have a clue what's going on or complaining about ticket prices when ticket prices aren't even expensive lol..

I wouldn't say NASCAR fans, I'd say antisocial media. Albeit, I think NASCAR fans are the worst in all of sports, but negativity sells in the antisocial media age.

The obsession over attendance and ratings is bizarre. Other sports fans don't go this far. I don't know what the ratings for "Supergirl" are when I watch, nor do I care. (Melissa Benoist :wub: has a rating of 10/10:growl:). And the complaints about "I don't get NBCSN" hurt too. NASCAR fans aren't willing to spend $30/month on cable, why would people want to sponsor a racecar if the fans in the stands and watching on TV are too cheap to buy things?

I wouldn't say NASCAR fans, I'd say antisocial media. Albeit, I think NASCAR fans are the worst in all of sports, but negativity sells in the antisocial media age.

The obsession over attendance and ratings is bizarre. Other sports fans don't go this far. I don't know what the ratings for "Supergirl" are when I watch, nor do I care. )Melissa Benoist :wub: has a rating of 10/10:growl:). And the complaints about "I don't get NBCSN" hurt too. NASCAR fans aren't willing to spend $30/month on cable, why would people want to sponsor a racecar if the fans in the stands and watching on TV are too cheap to buy things?
This is so true lol and that's what I'm saying the fans aren't doing anything but hurting themselves

The obsession over attendance and ratings is bizarre. Other sports fans don't go this far. I don't know what the ratings for "Supergirl" are when I watch, nor do I care. )Melissa Benoist :wub: has a rating of 10/10:growl:). And the complaints about "I don't get NBCSN" hurt too. NASCAR fans aren't willing to spend $30/month on cable, why would people want to sponsor a racecar if the fans in the stands and watching on TV are too cheap to buy things?

Other sports have conversations about money. They just do it in a different way. They chat about how much players make all the time. I've never understood why. Who cares if player x is making whatever dollar amount yearly and over the course of their contract? All that matters is that the owner and the employee came to a work agreement.

I'm not in any way trying to sound like a no it all or saying I do .. but in the past year in a half I have learned more about the sport than 80 % of the people I have talked to lol.. the stuff some fans say and complain about is just crazy.. I drive for 10 hours a day at my job and listen to the NASCAR channel the whole time at work and it's so funny the stuff people call in and say and truly believe it.. like a guy just said he is tired of Toyota sending there engines over seas to a guy in the mountains to build there engines and he truly believes that!! Lol

Absolutely! NASCAR is in as good of a condition as it's ever been in. Much of the "downfall" or "decline" narrative is merely #FakeNews propagated by the media and out-of-touch fans!

I'm not in any way trying to sound like a no it all or saying I do .. but in the past year in a half I have learned more about the sport than 80 % of the people I have talked to lol.. the stuff some fans say and complain about is just crazy.. I drive for 10 hours a day at my job and listen to the NASCAR channel the whole time at work and it's so funny the stuff people call in and say and truly believe it.. like a guy just said he is tired of Toyota sending there engines over seas to a guy in the mountains to build there engines and he truly believes that!! Lol
They are sending their engines to @Revman

It's racing. Even for "die hard" fans, most are casual fans.

I worked with a guy grew up in the 80s who said Jimmie is good because he has Jeff's cars etc.

NASCAR isn't intricate entertainment, people like us, who dive into the insights and educate ourselves are more invested. But the typical die hard fan is pretty casual, imo.

Also, what? Mountains?

For what, meditation? Lol

It's racing. Even for "die hard" fans, most are casual fans.

I worked with a guy grew up in the 80s who said Jimmie is good because he has Jeff's cars etc.

NASCAR isn't intricate entertainment, people like us, who dive into the insights and educate ourselves are more invested. But the typical die hard fan is pretty casual, imo.
Jeffs car?? Lol but do you see what I'm trying to say? If people complain and complain and complain that don't have a clue what they are talking about or complain about stupid stuff don't u think that puts NASCAR in a bad position trying to cater to the fan that knows what's going on and then catering to a fan that really has no clue or don't really care.. do you get what I'm saying?? It's people that call the station all day long and will say me and my family not watching the race and won't watch the race as long as that stupid late time stays!! Like what kind of fan says stuff like that lol.. it's just ridiculous man .. that's hurting the sport

Every sport has dumb fans. The loudest are usually the dumbest. YMMV

The self-proclaimed "Silent Majority" is usually a vocal minority.

This day and age, negativity sells. Fans who complain about NASCAR usually rack up the likes. Cable news and sports shows are all fueling negativity all the time. And everyone has a voice. On top of that, we have a climate now that rewards negativity. I mean, the current President of the United States did nothing for years except bitch and whine on Twitter, and still does nothing but bitch and whine, and millions and millions and millions of people worship him like a god for it... because, people who bitch and whine have all the answers or something nowadays.

There's a very large part of the fanbase that will keep proclaiming that the sport died when Dale Earnhardt died, but they keep watching it. And all the negative energy does is turn other people away. I mean, let's take NASCAR out of this. We'll say me and you are talking about, I don't know, American Horror Story, and I say the show sucks while simultaneously wearing an American Horror Story shirt. Well, what incentive is there for you to watch it now?

NASCAR fans are worse than other fans in that there's a short list of conditions in which they will go to a race and a long list of conditions which they won't. They won't go to races if it's hot, or cold, or raining, or might rain, or is too sunny, or too breezy, or the weather is nice. While night racing in NASCAR consistently produces terrible racing, fans want more night races because it's not "too hot" (and because many are just there to drink gallons of beer all day).

But the fans are far from NASCAR's biggest problem. There are fans who are gonna bitch and whine no matter what. Let them bitch and whine.

Lack of fans is the biggest problem. Without the fans, the sport dies.

The obsession over attendance and ratings is bizarre. Other sports fans don't go this far. I don't know what the ratings for "Supergirl" are when I watch, nor do I care. (Melissa Benoist :wub: has a rating of 10/10:growl:). And the complaints about "I don't get NBCSN" hurt too. NASCAR fans aren't willing to spend $30/month on cable, why would people want to sponsor a racecar if the fans in the stands and watching on TV are too cheap to buy things?

I know that I am interested in the ratings and attendance with Nascar but that is also true for the NFL and NHL but it isn't something I obsess about. The ratings are published and take less than a minute to read and at most tracks/arenas/stadiums you can see for yourself how near capacity the venue is. Some folks are interested in tire codes and chassis numbers and others want to know about a driver's personal interests or family and in my book it is all good and just different strokes for different folks.

This day and age, negativity sells. Fans who complain about NASCAR usually rack up the likes. Cable news and sports shows are all fueling negativity all the time. And everyone has a voice. On top of that, we have a climate now that rewards negativity. I mean, the current President of the United States did nothing for years except bitch and whine on Twitter, and still does nothing but bitch and whine, and millions and millions and millions of people worship him like a god for it... because, people who bitch and whine have all the answers or something nowadays.

There's a very large part of the fanbase that will keep proclaiming that the sport died when Dale Earnhardt died, but they keep watching it. And all the negative energy does is turn other people away. I mean, let's take NASCAR out of this. We'll say me and you are talking about, I don't know, American Horror Story, and I say the show sucks while simultaneously wearing an American Horror Story shirt. Well, what incentive is there for you to watch it now?

NASCAR fans are worse than other fans in that there's a short list of conditions in which they will go to a race and a long list of conditions which they won't. They won't go to races if it's hot, or cold, or raining, or might rain, or is too sunny, or too breezy, or the weather is nice. While night racing in NASCAR consistently produces terrible racing, fans want more night races because it's not "too hot" (and because many are just there to drink gallons of beer all day).

But the fans are far from NASCAR's biggest problem. There are fans who are gonna bitch and whine no matter what. Let them bitch and whine.

For Nascar it is lack of fans in the proper age group. Nascar is full of geezers (I am a geezer) and could win an award for it if one were handed out.

Maybe he's referring to Colorado? That's over the Mississippi River, which can look as big as an ocean if you zoom in too much on Google Maps.

And everybody knows Furniture Row has a secret engine shop under one of their stores. They bore out the cylinders, then reline the walls with a quick-melting compound that looks enough like metal to fool the inspectors. Then, when the engine gets hot, that stuff melts off the walls and coats the piston heads so they'll fit the wider diameter. Then they get the engine hotter by doing a burn-out, remelting the compound. That's why they spin the car around; to fling the stuff back onto the cylinder walls.

I don't have Sirius, so let me know if some knuckle-dragging mouth-breathing caller trots this one out on the air. Thanks in advance.

I don't interact with fans of many other sports, but I suspect the majority of them are just as ignorant of what they follow as many NASCAR fans. Indeed, most people don't know a whole lot about any of their recreational interests. Listen to other sports call-in shows; their audiences are pretty ... uninformed ... too.

Which it is doing right now, no fans and sponsors pull out of the sport. No sponsors...no Nascar.

The fans aint stupid, they just dont like the injustice etc. .
Goodyear sabotaging Kyle Buschs tires.
The Dale Jr surrogate conspiracy, I mean get a clue people... the beard..... hello....sheeple.

Seriously Sirus radio getting polluted by dumb fans?There aint no way a POS like Dave Moody and his lame Godfather crap can be polluted. He is the very essence.
He is pure Nascar propaganda. I hope a caller makes him snap one day.

And as for sports radio in general. When you turn that on, you are ordering up a BS know it all menu. The two are inseparable.

I know that I am interested in the ratings and attendance with Nascar but that is also true for the NFL and NHL but it isn't something I obsess about. The ratings are published and take less than a minute to read and at most tracks/arenas/stadiums you can see for yourself how near capacity the venue is. Some folks are interested in tire codes and chassis numbers and others want to know about a driver's personal interests or family and in my book it is all good and just different strokes for different folks.
I'm with u but when you say different strokes for different folks.. don't u think that people calling in and saying there family won't watch a race because of start times or Dale jr being a test dummy and driving others people equipment.. I mean I think the complaining and complaining isn't doing anything but hurting the sport not helping.. like I said a guy said Toyota is sending there engines over seas and a guy in the mountains is building them and I promise he truly believed that !

Should just shut down this board with that. Well said. :booya:

What I'm learning about NASCAR fans are that they really don't know as much about the sport as they think they do lol.. I have been to 7 races in the past year and some change and I have talked to a lot of fans at the tracks I been to.. i did this more when I first got into the sport to learn as much as possible and some more history of the sport.. I'm starting to learn the more I talk to people and the more and more I listen on the radio to the NASCAR channel that a lot of NASCAR fans don't have a clue what's going on and just say the crazies sh*t lol.. I stood in line at the track to buy me a shirt and had s guy tell me the reason Dale JR wasn't running good because he doesn't run his own equipment and that he tries out all the new equipment, like DALE JR is some type of test dummy lol.. people call the Sirius NASCAR channel everyday and say the craziest stuff about what they want in NASCAR and what would fix NASCAR, And this what they always start off with LONG TIME NASCAR FAN HERE!! lol then say some something so crazy like maybe they need to make martinsville dirt so all the cars be equal it's just crazy the things NASCAR fans say.. So is NASCAR more of a cool thing and to fit in or is it fans out there that really know what's going on ? The bottom line is and what I'm trying to say when you have fans that dont have a clue what's going on but complain and call in to NASCAR Sirius station.. it just causes problems for NASCAR trying to satisfy a customer that doesn't have a clue what's going on or complaining about ticket prices when ticket prices aren't even expensive lol..
Holy punctuation, Batman!!

NASCAR fans aren't willing to spend $30/mo. on cable? Who has a cable bill under $30/mo.?

Your "long list" was "the weather." That's not a long list, that's one thing.
The reason I am going to races in 2018? Friends and family.
The reason I wouldn't attend races is it weren't for friends and family? The product is stale with circus-like gimmicks.

Wow, I wonder if you havery attended baseball or football games and talked to the fans how smart they would be about that sport? How many wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends and kids are there just to be with sombody else and have a good time? I bet it wouldn't be any different. I played a ton of baseball growing up and Monday night I went to a Red Sox game. I have only attended minor league games for the past few years. I started talking to the guy beside me and based on your opinion he must have thought I was an idiot. There was a lot of difference that I didn't know about and he kindly helped me understand.
Everyone can't be an expert.

If you're a new fan and want to learn the sport fast, come here. Maybe someone needs to call in to Sirius and plug the site.

Spread the word!

I'm with u but when you say different strokes for different folks.. don't u think that people calling in and saying there family won't watch a race because of start times or Dale jr being a test dummy and driving others people equipment.. I mean I think the complaining and complaining isn't doing anything but hurting the sport not helping.. like I said a guy said Toyota is sending there engines over seas and a guy in the mountains is building them and I promise he truly believed that !

I have heard absolutely crazy things from Nascar fans on Nascar forums from Rick Hendrick faking his leukemia to Brian France making sure Jeremy Mayfield had a positive drug test to General Motors paying Nascar in order to let them succeed. Another guy said that Dale Jr was deliberately over revving his engines when he was with DEI so they would blow up. I can't say that Nascar has the dumbest fans but I can say that I have met a lot more dumb people that are Nascar fans for the reasons you mentioned.

If someone I respect and trust endorses something or does the opposite I may follow their lead but if someone IDK or someone obviously a few sandwiches short of a picnic is going off about something I ignore them.

In my 45 + years of following racing i could count the people that knew ANYTHING about ANYTHING related to racing on one hand. Minus the thumb and 3 fingers. Funny thing is i am an auto technician. You would think guys that work on cars would like/know something about racing. Nope. No interest. Guns? OH HELL YEAH! Fishing, OH YEAH!

Back
Top Bottom