Nascar looks at collusion!!!!

Holly crap.

Good, the bully wrecked the 18 on purpose and did a really poor job. The outcome was delightful to say the least. Eric has a racing career to pursue, screw Denny Hamlin. But heck, the bully survived spoilergate, NASCAR won't do anything. I am a Kenseth fan now though

I don't have any illusion that NASCAR truly can or will put a stop to things like this, but it would be nice if the teams put a little more thought and effort into it to not make it look and sound so obvious and make NASCAR look silly.

I wasn't looking for Hamlin to get penalized, or replaced with Harvick, but for NASCAR to casually act like nothing is wrong at all here is pretty bad. At the very least a fine and a warning. You don't want this becoming a *thing* every year going forward now.

I wasn't looking for Hamlin to get penalized, or replaced with Harvick, but for NASCAR to casually act like nothing is wrong at all here is pretty bad. At the very least a fine and a warning. You don't want this becoming a *thing* every year going forward now.

I thought they should've taken some action, given how blatant this was, after what they did in 2013 and 2015.

JGR: Alright Jones, DO NOT pass Hamlin.

NASCAR: Nah, we don't see anyone giving less than 100%.

Seriously, how more obvious is it than his CC telling him not to pass Denny. Seriously NASCAR, at least acknowledge that they manipulated the race.

So this basically means that teammates of drivers not in the Chase can wreck the final 4 drivers on purpose Sunday in order for their teammate to win, without repercussions? That is how it sounds to me

I think at minimum NASCAR should make the 11 start at the rear at Phoenix.

No where in the rulebook says you cant help your teammate. The difference between what Clint did with MWR and what Jones did is Jones didnt effect the outcome of the race for others by spinning out intentionally. The 100% rule really doesnt apply here because he 100% was following team orders.

It seemed obvious Jones was faster than Hamlin and could have gotten around him. With them having it on radio saying not to pass him, there is some evidence. Is the "100% rule" still a thing? This would violate that for sure.

If this is a fact, I hope there is some way to BUST their ass.

Harvick was racing. Jones was not. And what ever happened to no team orders?

No where in the rulebook says you cant help your teammate. The difference between what Clint did with MWR and what Jones did is Jones didnt effect the outcome of the race for others by spinning out intentionally. The 100% rule really doesnt apply here because he 100% was following team orders.
"NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event," NASCAR president Mike Helton said

Read that and tell me the rule doesn't apply. Jones was very clearly backing up his corner entry a good 20+ ft so he didn't blow past Hamlin. That doesn't line up with that quote above.

"NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event," NASCAR president Mike Helton said

Read that and tell me the rule doesn't apply. Jones was very clearly backing up his corner entry a good 20+ ft so he didn't blow past Hamlin. That doesn't line up with that quote above.
Where is the definition of "competitors" and "best possible finishing position"?
I agree it was clearly team orders. I am disappointed Eric didn't pass him, but in all fairness to Eric, he is not in a position to burn bridges in this arena.

It doesnt apply. They achieved their goal without interfering with anyone else.

It doesnt apply. They achieved their goal without interfering with anyone else.
OK, but none of what you're using to make your point is part of the 100% rule. That's part of their rules against collusion maybe, but not this.

Jones wasn't racing at 100% effort to achieve his best possible finish. He wasn't a lapper, that spot was for position and he was nursing the gas pedal. By the definition outlined by Helton, it 100% applies. It's word for word the opposite of what we saw on TV.

Where is the definition of "competitors" and "best possible finishing position"?
I agree it was clearly team orders. I am disappointed Eric didn't pass him, but in all fairness to Eric, he is not in a position to burn bridges in this arena.
Yeah Eric was a pawn in the game, I don't think anybody blames Eric, he was following orders to rig the race. I wish he would have said F.Y. and ran for his best finish possible, but he followed orders.

Yeah Eric was a pawn in the game, I don't think anybody blames Eric, he was following orders to rig the race. I wish he would have said F.Y. and ran for his best finish possible, but he followed orders.
The one that should be penalized is the 4 for blatantly running over the 18

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
OK, but none of what you're using to make your point is part of the 100% rule. That's part of their rules against collusion maybe, but not this.

Jones wasn't racing at 100% effort to achieve his best possible finish. He wasn't a lapper, that spot was for position and he was nursing the gas pedal. By the definition outlined by Helton, it 100% applies. It's word for word the opposite of what we saw on TV.
They 100% accomplished their goal without interfering with anyone else.

Looking at who is highest in the food chain, they have two Fords a Chevy and a Toyota in the finals. Everybody's happy and screw the fans and what is fair.

Looking at who is highest in the food chain, they have two Fords a Chevy and a Toyota in the finals. Everybody's happy and screw the fans and what is fair.
The 9 caught a break or their wouldnt be a Chevy.

The one that should be penalized is the 4 for blatantly running over the 18
I have never been a Harvick fan, but I have no problem with what he did on Sunday. You know it can come down to a little bump and run or a wham bam thank you mam attempt to get that position come the end of the race. At what point is the line drawn? He had actually made up enough ground in the last two laps to mnake that attempt, so I think it was justified. I have more respect for that move than for a driver giving up a finishing position.

The whole thing is a big mess IMO. But if the powers that be are measuring success in terms of social media numbers we are in for even more "enhancements"

No rule against team orders as long as you dont try to manipulate others.
I would have sworn this came up when the Chase was first implemented. Nascar said they would keep an eye on it. I guess they don't care anymore.

I would have sworn this came up when the Chase was first implemented. Nascar said they would keep an eye on it. I guess they don't care anymore.
Its not always cut and dry. If you spin your car out to get your team mate back on the lead lap, you effectively altered the race for the majority of the other competitors. Riding behind your teammate has been done to death.

Its not always cut and dry. If you spin your car out to get your team mate back on the lead lap, you effectively altered the race for the majority of the other competitors. Riding behind your teammate has been done to death.
I think team orders is only a problem with the Chase contenders. I will admit, I've seen teammates staying far behind their contending teammates during the chase. But, never was it so blatant as the 20 and 11.

but being told to not pass a teammate isn't effectively altering the race..

Reactions: sdj
Corporate operational stupidity.

It astounds me that these guys didn’t have this in their plans for the day. A simple code word or phrase and the problem doesn’t exist.

Back
Top Bottom