NASCAR Sponsorship News Thread

Based off of things happening worldwide. ;)
might be so in your world. The economy is booming in the U.S. I don't think it was their decision to leave the sport because of that. Many articles point to different people moving into different positions. Happens all the time in the corporate world. New people who come in who don't like racing very much.

might be so in your world. The economy is booming in the U.S. I don't think it was their decision to leave the sport because of that. Many articles point to different people moving into different positions. Happens all the time in the corporate world. New people who come in who don't like racing very much.
That is exactly what happened to at least 3 big time drag racing teams that lost longtime sponsorships within the past 15 years.

This is exactly what happened to the company I used to work for. We were big sponsors of the Rolex 24 and a DP Team. New marketing director comes in and the next thing you know promotional money is going to baseball.
...oh, look Nitro Dude said the same thing.

>>"We do not want to associate ourselves with politics, the left or the right," Phelps said. "We obviously have, and we've always had, as a sport tremendous respect for the office of the president no matter who is sitting.

" . . . Do we like the fact that it kind of started with NASCAR and then is gaining ground elsewhere? No, we're not happy about that. But we will continue to make sure that we have respect for the office of the president."

Phelps added that NASCAR would block any instance in which the phrase was used in conjunction with NASCAR's logo or trademarks.

It's unclear if Brown realized that NASCAR must approve sponsorships before his Fredericksburg-based team, Brandonbilt Motorsports, announced Thursday its 33-race deal with the cryptocurrency meme coin LGBcoin.io for the 2022 NASCAR Xfinity Series season. Neither he nor a team spokesman responded to a request for comment.<<

You mean as opposed to some douchebag in a race car? If they do, it's because they perceive that as the best way to reach their target market. If motorsports is no longer a good way to do that, that's NASCAR's fault, not M&Ms.

I'm always surprised at the criticism of a long-time sponsor for leaving. Why not bitch about those companies that have never spent a dime on motorsports? Nobody criticizes those companies that fund a single race. Would people prefer M&Ms had never been involved at all?

Bob Lutz (famous GM exec) used to say that the main reason manufacturers sponsor racing teams is because middle management wants the "VIP treatment. wining and dining, meeting drivers, touring the track,” and other opportunities are “bestowed on mid-level executives who fund the programs out of their marketing budgets. "

The same thing applies to the sponsors like Mars. The management likes the percs of sponsoring a race car, even if the marketing money could be more efficiently spent elsewhere on social media influencers or whatever.

>>"We do not want to associate ourselves with politics, the left or the right," Phelps said. "We obviously have, and we've always had, as a sport tremendous respect for the office of the president no matter who is sitting.

" . . . Do we like the fact that it kind of started with NASCAR and then is gaining ground elsewhere? No, we're not happy about that. But we will continue to make sure that we have respect for the office of the president."

Phelps added that NASCAR would block any instance in which the phrase was used in conjunction with NASCAR's logo or trademarks.

It's unclear if Brown realized that NASCAR must approve sponsorships before his Fredericksburg-based team, Brandonbilt Motorsports, announced Thursday its 33-race deal with the cryptocurrency meme coin LGBcoin.io for the 2022 NASCAR Xfinity Series season. Neither he nor a team spokesman responded to a request for comment.<<
So NASCAR may step in to avoid all things that touch on the “political” rail, but have no issue with sponsorships that promote sex products, pot or similar edgy themes? Phelps clearly is trying to not offend anyone in order to attract everyone, but once he starts down the plain vanilla trail it can become hypocrisy highway. Where do we draw a line?

For example, Mars sponsors the 18 with their cute M&M’s candy figures, but do we discuss their use of child labor for chocolate production? Lawsuits underway and Mars won‘t promise that these products are free of child slavery.

One could make endless noise over the multitude of beer/liquor sponsors and the impact of alcoholism/drunk driving.

So sadly I fully expect LGBCoin to be squashed as a sponsor, leaving a young man and his team empty due to nothing on his part. Brandon can‘t control how much people despise the current president. Does this mean all other political statements or slogans, however obscure, should be banned? BLM ?

It does not matter whom is the standing president, however the company itself has its coin listed as $FJB.

I'm all for teams doing what they need to do, however that adjustment needs to be made on crypto sites. At minimum, change the ticker symbol as well, if its really about Brandon, make it about him and only him. The marketing angle to me is just an adjustment to slander the president and that's why NASCAR has this up in the air.

The sanctioning body might have been a bit reactive to the situation and not proactive. The e-mail has been confirmed by BMS. The sponsor was approved the day after Christmas:

It's only going to get worse, if NASCAR approved it... For only someone at a higher level to disapprove it... Ehhhhh, its quite the pickle. Being proactive and knowing the meaning before talking in depth to the respected teams marketing department is a major miss. They have to stay on top of issues like this, if they gave the scheme and sponsor the green light. The exception has to be made in this case.

Should have banned it after 2020 instead of waiting on it, now they are being reactive to the possible backlash...

If this email is true I would think nascar would have to subsidize some funding for the team. I mean you said it was ok now you're denying them income.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

It's only going to get worse, if NASCAR approved it... For only someone at a higher level to disapprove it... if they gave the scheme and sponsor the green light. The exception has to be made in this case.
It does look like someone approved the sponsor without the appropriate due diligence. I don't agree that requires permitting the sponsorship to go ahead.

It does look like someone approved the sponsor without the appropriate due diligence. I don't agree that requires permitting the sponsorship to go ahead.
That's the million dollar question.

Either way, I feel as if the sanctioning body will have to step in and unfortunately pay up in some aspect. BMS has already signed this contract and is plastered all over the respected website of the coin base.

BMS is up a creek without a paddle almost like, no one wanted to sponsor them and the sponsors that previously backed them do not look like they are on the car. (Larry's Lemonade, Nu Cool, etc) outside of tradethechain.

So, its either move forward with the coin or back out and get NASCAR to equal lost funding. Either way, whatever happens this season could decide this team's fate come this season and 2023.

Was listening to Mike Joy yesterday and he brought up something interesting about sponsorship. Said he feels that the increase in business to business sponsorships have hurt fan attractions. For example Shell doesn't really push for fan involvement or sales, they want Penske companies to use their motor oil. As opposed to someone like Mars that is using sponsorship to try to sell product.

Said business to consumer sponsorship gets the idea of the sport in front of the fans better. For example the cut outs of the drivers in grocery and convenience stores.
It has always been about the racing to me. There are very sponsors if any that would get me to be a fan.
They just pay the bills and deserve some loyalty for making it possibile.

Aside from Monster energy of the Hooters girls but Nascar shouldn't need sponsors to see the entertainment valve of the trophy queens.

Here's a notion. How about all those companies profiting from LGB merchandise donate some profits to the guy without whom they wouldn't be making money? And everyone who thinks it's a cool expression can chip in for the guy who's having more problems from it than Biden ever will.

With previous approval, then contracts signed, any cancellation by overreactive Phelps will rightly bring a lawsuit seeking full restitution. I actually think had this just been left alone the little media storm would have been swallowed up by everything Christmas/holidays. Agree with @Kiante that the coin symbol should be changed. However, the LGBCoin moniker is hardly a blaring visual eyesore for a sponsor whose meme coin ambitions are not illegitimate. If it said “FJB” or “FDT” then it’s an easier call, since you’re now having to explain that to kids or grandma watching the races. Yes LGB became code…so what? It also means “let’s go Brandon Brown“…unless that’s cancelled too.

The real issue here is Phelps embarrassment over the fan’s chanting incident. If NASCAR doesn’t want to be that close to it‘s fan base during interviews, back the heck up…way back, until their voices cannot be heard. It’s a perfect metaphor.

The real issue here is Phelps embarrassment over the fan’s chanting incident. If NASCAR doesn’t want to be that close to it‘s fan base during interviews, back the heck up…way back, until their voices cannot be heard. It’s a perfect metaphor.
Like back to Victory Lane? What a novel concept.

Either way, whatever happens this season could decide this team's fate come this season and 2023.
You know more about cryptos than I do, but do you think this meme-based start-up will still be around in 2023, much less able to afford a sponsorship? Other than its name, what reason is there for (educated, informed) investors to buy it vs. established currencies?

I’ll wait to hear who “approved” this humiliating embarrassment.

Does not compute.
But on the other hand, it could be it was never "approved". It doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference anyhow. The France family is Nascar. If they don't want it, it ain't happening.

Here's a notion. How about all those companies profiting from LGB merchandise donate some profits to the guy without whom they wouldn't be making money? And everyone who thinks it's a cool expression can chip in for the guy who's having more problems from it than Biden ever will.
On the other hand if it's truly that hard for him to get sponsors as a result of this I would think Brandon could actually go after the reporter/network for associating him with something that he in no way was. Accident or not, they have hurt his career

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You know more about cryptos than I do, but do you think this meme-based start-up will still be around in 2023, much less able to afford a sponsorship? Other than its name, what reason is there for (educated, informed) investors to buy it vs. established currencies?
Most "meme" coins like this are legit pump and dumps, get as many to pump in as much money possible. Then sell it off after it peaks in the market and then it dies off.

This coin you will not be able to use on actual purchases.ie Bitcoin on coinbases, however it can be bought and sold on whatever respected crypto trading sites.

Better hope this has long-term appeal, at least for BMS sake. What makes this even worse is that folks who dig the "LGB" tag has done nothing to help this man. All of this virtue signaling and for what? It's equivcated to nothing for Brandon while people are making bank off of it. Crazy how this process has been.

Too much Progressive and WAY too much Liberty Mutual. I hope that ostrich kicks that sumbich to death, then both get eaten by a pack of Taz devils.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I refuse to give Liberty Mutual a dime of my money just out of principle. I don't care if their insurance is the best (spoiler alert: it isn't) or if they are the cheapest out there (don't know, don't care). Their commercials have ALWAYS been so annoying that I want no part of them just based off of their ads alone. I absolutely will not reward them with my business or be associated with them in any manner whatsoever.

If they are dumb enough to actually spend money on those dumb ads, and dumb enough to like the ads and think they are funny or whatever, that just shows dumb taste and dumb judgment. Hell, their dumb jingle is literally just their name repeated four times. I hope they go bankrupt.

I refuse to give Liberty Mutual a dime of my money just out of principle. I don't care if their insurance is the best (spoiler alert: it isn't) or if they are the cheapest out there (don't know, don't care). Their commercials have ALWAYS been so annoying that I want no part of them just based off of their ads alone. I absolutely will not reward them with my business or be associated with them in any manner whatsoever.

If they are dumb enough to actually spend money on those dumb ads, and dumb enough to like the ads and think they are funny or whatever, that just shows dumb taste and dumb judgment. Hell, their dumb jingle is literally just their name repeated four times. I hope they go bankrupt.
They know their audience.

I get that. I just wish they could advertise without annoying everyone with an IQ higher than the room temperature.
You just need a wet teddy Bear

PBry4X-vLOpTrJzxfMoe9bXaQKlaedbLnBM924NWLwg.jpg

I think they are doing ok.

$43.796 billion

As of December 31, 2020, Liberty Mutual Insurance had $145.377 billion in consolidated assets, $119.420 billion in consolidated liabilities and $43.796 billion in annual consolidated revenue.

I think they are doing ok.

$43.796 billion

As of December 31, 2020, Liberty Mutual Insurance had $145.377 billion in consolidated assets, $119.420 billion in consolidated liabilities and $43.796 billion in annual consolidated revenue.

They sell insurance, of course they are doing OK. That doesn't excuse their terrible advertising.

They sell insurance, of course they are doing OK. That doesn't excuse their terrible advertising.
My friend, their marketing team has the data on ROI's, they know what works, its never been one size fits all in advertising.

My friend, their marketing team has the data on ROI's, they know what works, its never been one size fits all in advertising.
I don't know who their audience is or who these ads appeal to. I just know I'm not going to take financial recommendations from a guy who thinks selling wet teddy bears on the boardwalk is a viable business model. Who wants to do business with a company whose client base appears to consist of idiots?

I don't know who their audience is or who these ads appeal to. I just know I'm not going to take financial recommendations from a guy who thinks selling wet teddy bears on the boardwalk is a viable business model. Who wants to do business with a company whose client base appears to consist of idiots?
Damn son, its called humor.

Back
Top Bottom