NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Add me to the list of "I wouldn't either." It isn't a slam on Nascar but more an indictment of the carriers of the programming. I don't watch any network entertainment programming but I do watch college and pro sports especially NCAAF and NFL depending on the matchups available. I stream most of the stuff I watch.

You wouldn’t believe what I pay for cable.
Probably not. We don't have any use for 'premium' channels - movie channels, sports packages, PPV, etc. We're have basic with a second tier. That gets us all we're interested in. And we're willing to pay to get a system my Darling Bride and visiting parents find easy to use.

I like seeing us beating the NBA in the same time slot. Looks like we're #2 on the weekend, I think it was PGA first major on CBS. So, I'm not surprise that it is lower than last year with more sports on.

Out of home viewership will be fully integrated into national TV ratings beginning with 8/31 programming:

Guess they don’t want to compare it to the 2018 race that didn’t get delayed? That race had 4.4M viewers.

Also, where did Stern get 3.9M? Showbuzz reports 3.6M.

The NBC broadcast started at 7:00. Showbuzz on their post is showing numbers that started at 8:00. Still, NASCAR is going to be #1 over the weekend in sports against tough competition ( NBA & NHL playoffs ). 2018 summer race didn't have other sports to compete with. 2020 is a different beast, we've never seen this many sports on at the same time during the Summer.

The NBC broadcast started at 7:00. Showbuzz on their post is showing numbers that started at 8:00. Still, NASCAR is going to be #1 over the weekend in sports against tough competition ( NBA & NHL playoffs ). 2018 summer race didn't have other sports to compete with. 2020 is a different beast, we've never seen this many sports on at the same time during the Summer.
One advantage motor racing has this summer is races are pretty much going on according to their revised schedules. When you turn the tube on, you're going to get a race broadcast at the scheduled time. Yeah, it maybe weather delayed but they're trying to run it. Baseball keeps cancelling games due to player infection, and the NBA players are demonstrating with minimal to no notice. (That's not a comment on the validity of their actions, only on the effects on TV viewing.)

For context.

Good point. What’s killing so many sports is that they are EVENTS. For playoff runs the entire city becomes a buzz for their team. Likewise for NASCAR race weekend is always a bit of an event.

But with no or limited fans it sucks so much interest out of the game/race. It’s been cool but they need fans back in a bad bad way

A little context. I thought having the race so late was a terrible move but I'm sure that has been discussed extensively (I haven't been on here in over a week)

Sunday night might not be a bad slot honestly. The Las Vegas race last fall was the most-watched of all the NBCSN races during football season. Pretty much everyone is at home on a Sunday night.

A little context. I thought having the race so late was a terrible move but I'm sure that has been discussed extensively (I haven't been on here in over a week)

It wasn't a terrible move. The race was scheduled for late because of the heat and the anticipation of the fans being able to attend, but Covid changes made after the event was scheduled nixed that from happening. Attendence at that track matters(I sound like a gerbil) because racing fans in the stands helps the city that survives on tourism.

Attendence at that track matters(I sound like a gerbil) because racing fans in the stands helps the city that survives on tourism.
Agreed, but does it have any effect on the TV numbers? Do people choose to not watch something just because there's no one attending?

Agreed, but does it have any effect on the TV numbers? Do people choose to not watch something just because there's no one attending?
The subject was the late start. The reason was that later in the day the temps would be more bearable for the fans...that couldn't come because of covid restrictions. It's a big hit for Vegas that exists mostly from tourist money. I would assume TV had to agree to the time, Nascar anytime of the day or evening makes for decent ratings.

Indisputably impressive.

A huge advantage NASCAR has is not having to change which time of year their event happens. They race on Sundays this time of year every year. Them coming back earlier helped a lot as well, they deserve these results from taking the chance of resuming early. Racing in the summer at standard times helped them out while for example the NBA was starting some games at 9pm eastern time on weeknights in the fall, people have school and work.

Back
Top Bottom