Nascar Trivia

^ hold that though...you cant just post a qeustion..you need to answer the previous one and if you get it right then you may..

He did, since he already said another question I didnt feel the need to say that he got it right.

Ok folks, new question.........

A portion of the Infineon Raceway between turns 6 and 7 also doubles as what???????

What is the worst starting position for a winner at Infineon? (#)

The NASCAR convertible division ran from 1956 through the 1959 season, although I believe there were races as late as either the 1961 or '62 season in which convertibles were allowed to compete and some teams would simply cut the tops off of their hardtop cars to run them as a convertible at some events.

The last official year of the series was, from all the records I've been able to find, 1959.

Quote: "I don't want to build the car that kills
_____ _____!"

Who said it about whom? When, where and what was the occasion?

Jocko Flocko was a rehsus monkey who rode along with Tim Flock in a few races in 1953 as a publicity stunt.

He got loose in the car, found the chain for the trap door that drivers used to check tire wear on the right front, pulled it open and went crazy inside the car. Tim had to pit and have the crew remove the monkey; he slipped from second to a third place finish as a result and that ended Jocko's racing career.
I've heard the monkey got hit in the head by a pebble when he opened the trap door, but can't verify that. Jocko died not long after his racing career came to an end and Tim was banned for life after he and Curis Turner tried to organize the NASCAR drivers under the teamsters union in the early 1960's.
Curtis was later re-instated, but Tim never ran with NASCAR again.

What sanctioning body was hired to promote the first Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in 1950?
How many cars started that race?

Gee whiz, boB
I guess nobody else wants to play.
O.K. here goes...
The race was co-sanctioned by NASCAR and the Central States Racing Association. The race ran on Labor Day, Sept. 4th 1950. 75 cars started the race, lined up 3 abreast. The race was won by Johnny Mantz, driving a `50 Pontiac (car #98jr).
Mantz started the race from the 43rd position (farthest starting position resulting in a win).
How zat?

Yeah, I guess you're right Bobby, no one else seems to want to play the game lately.

I was kind of surprised when I read about this recently; Central States was, at the time, one of the biggest sanctioning bodies for stockcars and they could only bring something like five entries to Harold Brassington's race.
Bill France was contacted and guaranteed 75 cars would start from his newly formed body.

I've got some great pictures of that first race that appearred in the March, 1992 issue of StockCar Racing Magazine. Rather different from what we see today, to say the least.

That little '50 Plymouth (not Pontiac) that Johnny Mantz won in is another interesting story all by itself. Maybe there's some future triva questions there?

Go ahead with another question, maybe we'll get someone else involved here.

What was the first year that Ford claimed all of the top 5 finishing positions in a 500 mile race? Who won that race and how many sets of tires did they need?

BobbyFord said:
What was the first year that Ford claimed all of the top 5 finishing positions in a 500 mile race? Who won that race and how many sets of tires did they need?
Questions are generally held to 1 or perhaps a 2 part if they are closely related but 3 questions are a bit too much. Remember the object of the Trivia is to be fun and informative, not to make them so tough that no one knows the answer. :)

I thought it was an easy one.
Here's the answer...
1963 Daytona 500, Fords finished 1-2-3-4-5, Led by Tiny Lund driving the #21 Wood Bros. Ford and he did the entire 500 miles on one set of tires.
Guess they had better tires back then.
Somebody else ask the next question.

right
why dose nascar run the ford taurs instead of something esle?

Back
Top Bottom